PDA

View Full Version : New member, new video

sxates
01-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Hi all! New to the forums, and to RC flying in general. In fact, I got my first plane, an aerobird xtreme, for Christmas. I have always wanted an RC plane, and for some reason it took till I was 24 to actually get one :)

And of course, I can't JUST fly it, but I have to go buy a video camera (Aiptek IS-DV), cram it in the plane, and hit record :)

So here's my first successful video'd flight. Just a quick 2 minute loop around the field. Probably 10+ mph wind, and the camera made the plane a little nose heavy, so it wasn't climbing well, so this is really just a 'proof of concept' video. When the wind calms down some I hope to get some more interesting footage. Look forward to sharing ideas with you guys, flying has been a blast so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=AYBbyZbECuE

sxates
01-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I got another video shot this morning at a lake near my home. Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/?v=u4e9c4bC-ZQ

Rugar
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Sxates, welcome to WattFlyer!
Nice videos, thank you for sharing!

Derick Veliz
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Welcome sxates, this is on of the most addicting hobbies!

on your last video at the end the motor sounds revving up and down, was that you? or ?

sxates
01-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I too noticed the motor sputtering a bit near the end of the video. I wasn't running the throttle up and down, so I'm not sure what caused that. I didn't notice it while flying, I think I was out of sound range when it was going on. Will have to keep an eye on it and make sure the motor is operating properly. Do you have any idea what might cause that?

Derick Veliz
01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I too noticed the motor sputtering a bit near the end of the video. I wasn't running the throttle up and down, so I'm not sure what caused that. I didn't notice it while flying, I think I was out of sound range when it was going on. Will have to keep an eye on it and make sure the motor is operating properly. Do you have any idea what might cause that?

I don't have experience with ABX, what's the radio range? where you flying at the end of the charge? maybe an ESC issue?

usopa
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Welcome Sxates, this is a great place to learn. Hope you didn`t break anything in that last video, that curb looked hard. Great video!!

sxates
01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't have experience with ABX, what's the radio range? where you flying at the end of the charge? maybe an ESC issue?

Well, I don't know what the range is on it, but the sputtering does not occur at it's furthest point from the Tx, and it's within 100yards, so I can't imagine it's losing signal at that point...

Battery was fresh, and the flight was only 6 minutes on a 3300mah battery which usually will last 20+, so I don't think that was it...

Only thing I can think of is maybe there's a lose connection, or the electronics aren't giving the motor smooth power.

USOPA:
Thanks for the welcome :) Nothing broke with the curb, it had slowed down a decent bit by then. This plane will roll seemingly forever though, it needs brakes. I don't think it's ever stopped without running into something. Good thing it has a big rubber nose on the front with a push-prop :)

sxates
01-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey guys--finally got the ABX to do a loop with the camera. Just had to have a good headwind and a steep dive to pick up speed :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=7eOA6_65zTg

ukflyer
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi, thanks for sharing your vids, I was wondering how you mounted your cam to the aerobird extreme?

sxates
04-06-2006, 04:42 PM
This is what the mount looks like:

http://static.flickr.com/42/84079845_f320a2dce1.jpg

It's basically just stuffed in the cockpit above the battery, and strapped in.

The FET on my ABX is dead though and I haven't replaced it yet, so I've been flying a slow stick lately. Have had a hard time finding a good way to mount my camera to it though, so I don't have much video from it.

ukflyer
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that, it looks quite cool, I may have to try something similar but with a smaller cam on my challenger. :) Did you find that the extra weight was ok?

sxates
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
The extra weight definitely makes a difference. In this setup it makes it a bit nose heavy, and its much slower to climb. Pretty much have to be at full throttle the whole time. But it's manageable.

meegosh
04-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Great videos sxates! Seems like your plane has a curb sensing nose on it!! :) Who needs breaks when you can just use curbs, right?!

Haha, great videos, quite insprining. Keep up the good work man!