PDA

View Full Version : Dare DR1 Build

Franny
01-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, Santa had room for a Dare DR1 kit in his bag this year and I'm starting into it. I know "Watt_The?!" has built this and has a great video of it flying, but I though there might be some interest in seeing the kit go together.

Now, I'll preface this by saying I'm no master builder, but after looking over the kit, I think it is something I can handle. The instructions are pretty thin; like a paragraph for each major section, but it looks like all the parts are there and all the wood is laser cut.

There are two sheets of full size drawings, one for the wings and horizontal stab and the other for the fuse and rudder. The drawings look like they were done by hand and for the wings, only the right half's are drawn. The plans say to use cooking oil to make them translucent and build the left side from the opposite side of the plans. So,... I made complete copies of the plans before I got started at the local copy center just to be safe.

The first installment is the horizontal stab build. The plans call for laminating two 1/6"X1/8" balsa strips to produce those wonderful curves on the trailing edge. Well, I tried that a bit, even soaking the strips first with alcohol, but the radius is just too tight. so, what I did was to make a photo copy of the stab/elevator and then, using the monocote iron, transferred the design onto a 1/8" thick balsa sheet. This worked great. I cut out one for each side and I was off and running. Here are a couple photos of the horz stab and elevator hinged. Not a bad start.

Next are the wings. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for reading!:)

Franny

eflight-ray
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Franny
Be careful changing from curved strip to cut-out sheet for the curved tips.

Looking at the photos it appears that you have the grain of the wood going across the narrow section. This could make the tips weak and very vulnerable to breaking.
For easier bending of strip balsa, soak in household ammonia, (with care, and in the open air), or use very warm water, and use a pre-shaped former, thick cardboard etc. to bend the strips round, let it dry to shape before trimming and gluing. Also try to select the softer wood from the kit where bending is required.

Good look with your build, nice to see someone having a go, and not just assembling an artf.

Franny
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! I was worried about the grain too so I coated the inside of the curves with thin CA and they are pretty strong now. Now that I think of it, I could laminate a single piece to the inside... Hmmm... That's an idea...

Ammonia! That's it! I was thinking alcohol, but your are right. Well, I still have the rudder to do as well.

The kit is proving to be a challenge. I'm building the wings now and I'll post pictures when I complete the top wing. I am building the wings flat (the plans call for dihedral) and will be adding ailerons as well. There is a lot of sanding and fitting of the parts and very little instructions and detail on the plans, so a bit slow going. I still have to think about how to control the ailerons... I'm not sure a servo will fit in the wing and I don't want to have it poking through the bottom of the wing. We'll have to see...

Funny you should mention the building V.S. ARTF. I just finished a Beech Staggerwing ARTF from Wattage. It is a very nice looking model and went together easily enough, but this DR1 is much more entertaining!

Thanks for all your help!

Franny

eflight-ray
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Franny

Might be worth looking at this link, its questions and answers on the Dr1.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106382&highlight=dare+dr1

Edit - Also

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409147&highlight=dare+dr1

Hope it helps.

Franny
01-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Yea! Thanks! That does help. lots of pictures...

I'll still continue my posting of my progress. Mabye someone would be interested in the flat wing/aileron conversion. I hope to get more done this weekend.

Cheers!

Franny

Franny
01-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi All,

I got the wings finished this weekend... I'll post pictures and do a write up a little later this week. Boy, nothing happends fast with this kit... It takes a lot of staring and hand gesters for some reason ;) Anyway, I'll try to add a bit of detail on the mods.

Thanks, Franny

Bill G
01-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Hi All,
Boy, nothing happends fast with this kit... It takes a lot of staring and hand gesters for some reason ;)
Thanks, Franny

3 wings is a lot of work. Actually 4, depending on how you look at it. Just finished a DR1 a few weeks ago. I spent a good while with all the mods on this 20" Guillows conv, such as CF rods notched into the wing LEs. The end result of this plane is worth it, however.

Franny
01-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of posts... I have been making progress. The next task was the wings. I started with the top wing and worked my way down. Now, I wanted to flatten the wing (no dihedral) and add ailerons. I think this actually made things easier. Since the wing didn't need to be broken in the center, I built the whole thing at once. I made copies of the right half drawings and oiled them to make them translucent. I then turned them over and taped them to the right half giving me a complete plan of the entire wing. One thing to note is that the right half on the plan contains a rib past the center so just something to be aware of when lining up the drawings.

For the top wing, I laid it out completely an then went back and cut out the ailerons. I spliced the top and bottom spars together at opposite ends for added strength. I added the supplied dihedral braces, but didnít sheet the center section. I donít think it needs it, but I did have to cut out three new ribs as the supplied ones are reduced for the sheeting.. I used appropriate thicknesses for the new trailing edge and the aileron. You can see where I marked one notch for the wing trailing edge and one for the aileron leading edge so I knew how far to cut back the ribs. I spaced the two apart by the width of a "tee" pin. The center part of the ailerons were a little strange in the plans and I ended up building them up a bit and sanding them to get the correct trailing edge profile. Here are a few photos: Iíll worry about the control linkage later, but Iím leaning towards a ďpull-pullĒ system.

Franny
01-24-2006, 06:29 AM
The middle and bottom wing were uneventful. Once again built flat with no break in the middle. I did sheet the bottom wing because it mounts directly to the bottom of the fuse. The 1/16" piano wire attachments for the middle wings were added later. They have to be adjusted to line up correctly with the fuse attachment points which are fixed. Oh, you don't want to forget to scallop those trailing edges... I also added a few gussets in the corners to sure things up a bit because I'm sure I'll never cartwheel this thing... :rolleyes: A few photos:

Franny
01-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Ok, with all three wings out of the way, it was time to start on the Fuselage. After studying the plans, I figured out that you build the right side and then oil and turn the plans over and build the left side. That was a little confusing to me at first. Also, I spent a bunch of time looking at the rudder. It just doesn't look right to me... After staring a bit and looking at lots of pictures and profiles, I came to the conclusion that the tail end of the fuse is too tall. so, you'll see from the photos that I squashed it a bit. I still have to build the rudder at some point, but that should be easier to get right now.

Here are the two sides getting laid out and joined. I sanded down the very tail to get a stronger fit and added my little gussets I'm so fond of.

Franny
01-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Well, since I squashed the fuselage a bit, I had to change the rudder outline. While I was at it, the shape of the rudder in the plans didn't look quite right. I read that others have modified it a bit too. I looked at lots of DRI rudders and finally decided on a shape. I used the soak the balsa strips method and it seemed to work. I still have to add the stingers and such but I think it is a good shape. More on the rest of the fuselage later...

Thanks for reading!

Franny

watt_the?!
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
great stuff Franny!

scalercflyer
02-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Any more progress Franny? I'm going to refer to your pics and instructions when I commence to build my DRI (just bought one off of e-bay :D ). I plan to add airlerons and a pull-pull system. I appreciate your comments and pics. I'm sure it will help me to avoid some pitfalls. Martin

Franny
02-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Absolutely... I have it covered with lots of picts all so far. I've been a slacker... I'll get more up this weekend. One thing I would mention... I used two different methods for the elevator and rudder curves: one was the method from the plans; soaking the balsa strips and bending around a form (rudder) and the other was to cut out the shape from a sheet of balsa (elevator). I think I like the flat balsa method better. The rudder warped pretty bad several hours after it was covered, but the elevator is flat as a board. Watch the grain if you build up the shapes. I should have paid more attention to that. I strengthened it with some thing CA and that helped, but I think it will be a fragile and I may have to rebuild it at some point. I'm also not super happy with my final rudder shape. Most full size replicas I've seen and have pictures of have an almost circular rudder yet the profile drawings I have look like it is a little squashed from the top. It would be really nice to have a true scale outline to go from. I think you will enjoy the kit. It gets a little nutty sometimes, but I think it is best to think of it as a suggestion and go from there. Add as much scale as you like.

I'll get more pictures up really soon.

Thanks,

franny

Franny
02-17-2006, 06:05 AM
OK, here are a few photos of the Fuselage and the assembly of the ca-pain-in-the-butt struts. You start by assembling the two lower wings and the interplane struts. then set the top win on the interplane struts and check the alignment. Go ahead and bend the struts per the plans, but be prepared for them to be off. They are designed for a wing with dihedral. Bend, bend and re-bend until they are right. I think they say in the instructions to mount them to the cross blocks and the wing and fit the blocks however they fall. That didn't really work for me... So, I set the blocks first and bend, bend, bend... At least now, they enter the fuse in the right place. Once all was aligned, I glued them to the blocks and capped them to make it official.

After all that, I sheeted with the 1/32" sheet provided. Bummer it isn't quite wide enough so I had to add little strips along each side. I also sheeted the faring from the middle wing mounts. I added the little rounding formers to the fuse sides and sheeted that as well cuz' I don't know what "bond" paper is and they did supply two sheets of 1/32" balsa.

Franny
02-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Next is getting the landing gear happening. I noticed that in the plans that they have the gear struts attaching to the axel at the outside of the airfoil between the wings were as on the original the struts attach some what inside of the edge, so I re-drew it and bend/soldered accordingly. Also, the airfoil on the plans is quite a bit too small. Maybe they left it in the dryer too long... Anyways, that grew a bit as well... Check it out. Once all was aligned and such, I used thin copper wire, drilled a zillion holes in the gear mount cross pieces and threaded the wire round and round and round. After that it got some lovin' from the medium CA.

scalercflyer
02-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Franny thanks so much for the info and pics! The tripe is by far my favorite fighter of WWI. I am looking forward to starting the kit. The thought of making another tripe a "red" one gives me a headache, so I thought I would cover it ala "Great Waldo Pepper". It is a most striking camo scheme if I do say so. I have included a shot of a model finished with the camo scheme. Tell me what you think. Martin

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/1/1/1/2/38474.attach?q7SfMT4xpzx5YzcjMmfmBQD8AQgcoJSaMFHlE zcjMJp=

watt_the?!
02-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Franny, beautiful work on the landing gear lashing!

looks like it's coming along....i know what you mean about bend, bend, bend....

Tim

Franny
02-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Martin,

I totally love that scheme! Your link didn't work :( Sez I'm forbidden... Anyway I just watched that. It is one of the last chapters on the DVD... I have a DVD player set up in my work room hooked to an old computer monitor. I've been watching everything I have with airplanes in it; The Blue Max, Waldo Pepper, The Aviator, Memphis Bell,... I have Hell's Angels on order. Really fun! Anyway, I want to build a larger (50"-ish ) version and do it in that scheme. I noticed that AerodromeRC.com has a larger version in development, but it is on the back burner for now so I got their PT17 to hold me over. Oh, Oh! They have the wheel kits for our size Dr.1! I ordered a set with the PT17. Just send them an email cuz it isn't on their site yet. They are build up balsa/foam/rubber construction. I'm decking mine out in the incorrect "Raben" scheme of blue and white with the raven on the side. I just love the blue and didn't find out the error until I had the scheme all prepared for... Anyway, it really looks great! I assembled it last night and am still hooking up the control systems. I have an engine kit from dare I need to assemble and paint. I'm wondering if I can get it to spin with the prop... Probably a bad idea, but tempting! I also have a pair of gun kits to put together, so still lots to do.

Franny

Franny
02-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks! I wish the cabain-in-the-butt struts had come out as well... Hey... Did you have a problem with your rudder turning into a pretzel? I think I have it all nice and flat and ten minutes later its a pretzel again... Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Franny

watt_the?!
02-19-2006, 05:16 AM
i cant tell if yours is laminated...is it?

mine wasnt a problem...maybe the ratio of thickness to radius is making yours squirrely?

Franny
02-20-2006, 01:10 AM
I guess I meant to say potato chip, not pretzel... Anyway, yes... It is laminated as per the plans: two 1/8 X 1/16 I believe with watered down yellow glue. I'll just keep working with it. Thanks! f

watt_the?!
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
hmmm...i have found soaking glue to not be the best plan as wehn it dries it tend to shrink and pull the wood in the direction of the fastest drying portion.

have you tried it with just water?

im almost out of ideas...

Tim

Franny
02-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Well, what I did was to almost boil the balsa strips in a large pot and then lather them up with the deluted glue. I then worked them into the form for the rudder and let it dry over night. It was nice and straight at first and then when I covered it (using Econocote) I think the iron gave it fits and it warped after it cooled. I think I can work with it for now. I was just wondering for future projects... I think you are right about the pulling as it dries... Oh well; I'm not all that happy with the shape so maybe I'll rebuild it at some point...

f

Mike Tully
02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Franny,

I think the problem may be the covering rather than the construction method. If the lamination is completely dry before being removed from the form, then it is unlikely to change shape later.

The Econocote is not suitable for these light models. It has way too much tensile "pull" strength under shrinking. It will deform and destroy structures this light. If you prefer covering in film, then the appropriate material would be Solite (aka Nelson's Lite Film, Solarfilm Lite, ect.) , which weighs 1/3 as much as the Econocote and won't crush the structure when shrinking.

BTW, I find using 3 plies of 1/32" strips to be much easier than 2 plies of 1/16". Especially considering the high density and poor quality of the wood supplied in the Dare kits. A light wetting with ammonia breaks down the lignin in the wood and makes it pliable around some pretty tight curves without breaking. While being lighter than the 2 ply 1/16th, the 3 ply 1/32 outline is still more sturdy than the surrounding structures.

bennylaird
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
I like Litespan as it also doesn't have that high tensile pull. Just make sure you pull the edges tight to get rid of wrinkles and it looks great.

I did the skid for my Avro out of laminations of 1/32 ply. finished up with about 24 laminations all up as the ply was 3 ply.

Franny
02-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of all the painting/fumes. We have birds in the house and outside is too cold for paint... The only thing I had any trouble from was the rudder. The Horz stab and elevator are flat as a board. They are covered the same way, but built differently... That is why I was thinking the difference in construction was the deal. Oh well... I'll have to try the one of the lighter films. My LHS didn't have much of a selection and It can be a little difficult gauging colors on the web... Well, live and learn. I'll get it straightened out - so to speak ;)

The whole thing is finished except for the dummy engine. As soon as I get that done I'll post some pictures.

Thanks,

Franny

Tri-Pacer57
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Bill G, Great looking Tripe!
You said this was a Guillows 20" Kit. Can you advise the motor/prop battery set-up you used??

I have the large Guillows Corsair and would like to go E. Would a GWS 370 geared work??

Tri-Pacer57

watt_the?!
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
here's another one!

by Scott Hess.

Franny
03-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Have you seen this: http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Nuesser/German/

Holy Cow! Really nice detail work!

Anyway, I have mine finished... I'll get pics up soon. Things have been nutty at work and I have a recording session the weekend and a late night Salsa gig tonight! My oh my. Sometimes it is really hard to find time to spend in my "Hole". I think it turned out really well...

Thanks,

Franny

Franny
03-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi All,

Here are some picts of the cowl. I checked the dimensions and it looks as if they extended the cowl in the plans to accommodate their geared motor... I shortened it to more of a scale appearance. I made it out of balsa with no "bond" paper. Also there are only two holes on the original and it is cut flat across the bottom without the inverted "U" they show in the plans. Once the cowl was built I could mount the motor and mount. I was a bit confused as the piece I think was to be used as the firewall didnít even come close to the right size.:confused: Oh well, I think I used the platform that is for the U-control bell crank which fit great! I also added a bit of down thrust by mounting the firewall at an angle.

Franny
03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Here are a few pictures of the initial assembly...

Franny
03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
There wasn't much on this in the plans... I *think* the original had a shock absorbing cord on the skid, but I'm not sure. I finally found a use for that foam they ship the GWS receivers in!

Franny
03-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I decided to use all pull-pull controls... I used guide tubes in the wing for the ailerons. Each aileron got two lines. I used the Du-Bro Micro Pull-Pull kit which comes with super strong line and all the connectors. Since I've never don this before it seemed like a cool little kit. It is pretty neat! I also used Al tubes for guides back by the tail. The control horns were made out of left over dihedral brace ply and cut into a slot in the LE of the control surfaces.

Franny
03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
I've been looking for chance to use those cool super strong magnets I got from Hobby Lobby... The hatch seemed like a cool place. I cut a big round hole in the middle so I cold open it easily with my finger and to allow a bit of air flow...

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Here all the parts... Just for reference

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I wanted a little more scale appearance so I trimmed the struts to five flanges at each wing intersection. I thought about removing the wings and came up with this pla: The struts will be glued to the top wing only and I would use the little magnets to secure them to the bottom wing. The middle wing isn't going anywhere with the struts installed, so just a friction fit there. With the pull-pull controls on the top wing, I can't really remove it anyway, but it sure made it easier to hook everything up to be able to remove it a bit. The cabane struts are attached with a long thin wire through the Al tubes lashed to the wing and struts. I also covered the struts with balsa and sanded to shape. Kinda a pain, but worth it!

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:22 PM
OK, finally time to cover and detail! Here is the look I was shooting for... Problem is that Raben's aircraft was actually red and white... Not Blue.. D'oh! Oh well,... Maybe if he had two he would have had a blue one too.:rolleyes: It is awfully cute! Now I get in trouble here, but I actually used Monokote - Gasp! It worked great and the only problems I had was using EconoKote... This stuff is evil-spawn-of-Satan! It shrinks too much and melts if you look at it sideways... Anyway, the white is E-crap-oKote and so is the black trim. The rest is Monokote. Nice and shinny, huh? well... It might have a date with some steel-wool...

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I got these guys from WrightbrothersRC. Easy enough to buils and look pretty good. The actual little shells are made from copper whire with the insulation cut back...

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Here are some control photos. Elevator, then elevator and ailerons and then the rudder...

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:33 PM
This is one of the coolest parts of the DR.1! This is the kit from Dare actually. It is white vacuum-formed plastic in two halves on a single sheet. You sand and sand to release the parts. You can make three different type from all the parts. The fit was great in the cowl. It actually turns with the motor! My guess is that it would probably shed parts at full throttle so I'll only use it for display. It comes off pretty easily. Once again, totally worth the time!

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Here are a bunch of final photos...

I added struts to the horizontal stab. All the insignias I cut out of Monokote from scaled drawings in PhotoShop. I added rigging and such. I stained all the exposed wood incuding the wing skids and the prop. The wheels came from AerodromeRC. They will send you a kit if you ask... less than $10! Schweet!

All I need to do now is actually go fly it. I like to let them sit a spell first so I don't got into a deep depression if I cack them the first time out... I'll post again when I have some picts of it in the air...

Thanks so much for all your help! Sure has been fun!!!

Franny

Franny
03-10-2006, 08:42 PM
A few more shots... Oh, I used some old fuel line for the cockpit combing...

f

watt_the?!
03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
oh Franny.....omg....the best Dare DR1 ive seen yet!!!

makes mine look very average indeed. the scale cables, guns, radial, struts, wheel hubs and even prop texture are superb...i mean i noticed that there is a valve hole on the wheel hub!!!...

the magnet attached hatch with finger/cooling whole is a great idea that i will pinch from you (thanks), the LG attachment sublime and pull pull system as good as the rest of the superb craftsmanship.

please, whatever you do, you MUST arrange a video of the maiden and be sure to get it on the ground from all angles, with prop idling, fuill takeoff and landing and some low and slow flybys..

if you want, send it to me and ill do the videos and stuff for you for no charge.

Tim

Franny
03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Holy Cow Tim! Thanks! My o' My... Ok, I'll get some video. I sure have enjoyed your videos. I could only hope for a flight and landing as fabulous as yours! I have to say, I have been a little scared to take her up but as soon as we have a nice day here...

Thanks for all your kind words!!!

Franny

watt_the?!
03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
if you want, send it to me and ill do the videos and stuff for you for no charge.

Tim

you picked up the above bit as a joke, right?

unless you will send me it, of course...:o

scalercflyer
03-11-2006, 12:38 AM
All I can say is BABY, BABY, OH BABY!!!! :D What a superb job! :) :) I just recently obtained this very kit myself (E-bay $34.00 Thank you very much!). :D This thread and your wonderful building has inspired me (but not enough to cover it in red)! I bought some Spyder Wire today, 10 pound pull strength Kevlar fishing thread, for my pull-pull system (thanks Steve for the tip). I have committed to finishing up my foamie DRI tripe first (guess I'll have to post pics), but will follow immediately with this DARE tripe. Maybe we could get a bunch of guys to build one each, and make it a one of a kind build. What say ye Gents? :) Franny, I may have to pick your brain from time to time during my build so don't go senile on me Pal! :) Ahh I love the smell of battery fumes early in the morning.... :cool: Martin

WWI Ace
03-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Now look what you guys have done!!! Now Martin's all stirred up and he's going to be all over me now to start building my tripes!! I guess I'd better get to work this weekend so I can get the "jump" on him. Nice tripe by the way!!! All I want to know is how did you monokote it without smashing the framework? I thought monokote would squeeze the life out of your framework. Steve.

Franny
03-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Hi Steve,

The MonoKote was very kind to the airframe... The EconKote however... bad. It's going to take a little more work to straighten out that rudder...

f

Franny
03-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Tim, no it didn't but that is very funny! I wonder what shipping to Australia would be...

f

Franny
03-11-2006, 03:56 AM
Thanks Martin... I have lots more pictures... I know many of the steps absolutly baffeled me so please ask and I'll let you know what I did... I'm pretty sure I won't go senile. Ok, mostly sure.. ;) I'm just glad I didn't stumble across the *correct color* for Raben's aircraft before I started covering it (red and white not blue and white). I also have the crosses and such in Photoshop if you need them.

Thanks,

Franny

alienx
03-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Amazing job!!

I think I had a small seizure thinking about how hard that must have been to build.

scalercflyer
03-12-2006, 04:11 AM
Thanks Franny! I definitely will take advantage of your kind offer. I obtained this very day a flight pack (HITEC) with 3 HS55s destined for this build. :D It also came with the newest RX too. :) Boy I am amazed at how small our equipment has become! I look at some of my older equipment and think how big and bulky it is. On the topic of the pull-pull system you installed, Steve (WWI Ace) suggested that I use Spyder Wire Kevlar fishing string for the pull-pull system. What do you think? :confused: My concern is if I loop the one end through the control horn and crimp, won't it wear through eventually? :confused: I plan to use an adjustable end on the servo (clevis with adjustable rod and locknut). This will be my first pull-pull system. I used the standard push rod system in the past on my other models, but felt that this would be a insult to do on this plane. On another subject, here is a link that you WWI types might enjoy. Not sure if I posted it before. Very interesting info about camo colors etc. Martin
http://misterkitusa.com/9dfef5d6-cefe-4ca8-85f5-6af12015385b-9.html

E-Challenged
03-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I installed brass eyelets in ply pull-pull control horns to keep Kevlar from sawing into the plyl. You'll need a flaring tool with a cone shape to tap against the eyelet and curl the edges over neatly. I use the Dubro micro-pull-pull kit for small models.

Franny
03-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi All,

Here is a quick little video of the rotary in action:

http://www.heidiandfranny.com/franny/franny's models/dr1/Dr1_4.avi (http://www.heidiandfranny.com/franny/franny%27s%20models/dr1/Dr1_4.avi)

We have a winter storm warning here so no flying this weekend :( I have two airplanes waiting their turn now...

Thanks,

Franny

CarreraGTSCS
03-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Franny-- First of all, awesome result. I can't believe that it's a Dare. Second, the video link isn't working for me and I really want to see the little motor spin.

Mike

Franny
03-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Hmmm... It didn't work for me either. Try copying and pasting this in your browser:

http://www.heidiandfranny.com/franny/franny's models/dr1/Dr1_4.avi (http://www.heidiandfranny.com/franny/franny%27s%20models/dr1/Dr1_4.avi)

That seemed to work for me... Sorry for the hassles! Just clicking on it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Franny

CarreraGTSCS
04-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Franny,
Thanks. Worked for me today. WOW! The rotating motor lends a really impressive air to the plane. I'll have to read through the thread again to see how you did it. Really cool.
Mike

Scanned through the thread-- the Dare vacuformed motors are nice. Have you flown it yet?

scalercflyer
08-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Franny, I haven't seen anymore since you posted. :( Have you finished her? :) Would love some details. :D Martin

Franny
08-29-2006, 05:27 AM
Well, I haven flown it yet... I know, bad Franny. Honestly, I wanted to find a better site than where I was flying. I think I might have found one this past weekend actually. I am a little nervous to fly it, but I will. I actually have three that are ready for their first flights! It is all finished and seems ready. I also wanted to get video of it and I now have a camcorder so I guess I've run out of excuses. If there are any photo you would like to see, let me know. I will let you know when it goes up. Soon.

Thanks!

Franny

WWI Ace
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Can't wait to see it in the air!!! Steve.

sire_andre
09-14-2006, 06:43 AM
hi there franny, im starting my fokker dr 1 also, i got some problems with it, the plan was given to me by a friend but it got somthing missing, there's no spot for the CG (center of gravity ), can you help me with it? and i don't know if there are any missing details in the blueprint, please do reply, i'm very eager to finish this classic warbird.

-andre

sire_andre
09-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, Santa had room for a Dare DR1 kit in his bag this year and I'm starting into it. I know "Watt_The?!" has built this and has a great video of it flying, but I though there might be some interest in seeing the kit go together.

Now, I'll preface this by saying I'm no master builder, but after looking over the kit, I think it is something I can handle. The instructions are pretty thin; like a paragraph for each major section, but it looks like all the parts are there and all the wood is laser cut.

There are two sheets of full size drawings, one for the wings and horizontal stab and the other for the fuse and rudder. The drawings look like they were done by hand and for the wings, only the right half's are drawn. The plans say to use cooking oil to make them translucent and build the left side from the opposite side of the plans. So,... I made complete copies of the plans before I got started at the local copy center just to be safe.

The first installment is the horizontal stab build. The plans call for laminating two 1/6"X1/8" balsa strips to produce those wonderful curves on the trailing edge. Well, I tried that a bit, even soaking the strips first with alcohol, but the radius is just too tight. so, what I did was to make a photo copy of the stab/elevator and then, using the monocote iron, transferred the design onto a 1/8" thick balsa sheet. This worked great. I cut out one for each side and I was off and running. Here are a couple photos of the horz stab and elevator hinged. Not a bad start.

Next are the wings. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for reading!:)

Franny
hi there franny, im starting my fokker dr 1 also, i got some problems with it, the plan was given to me by a friend but it got somthing missing, there's no spot for the CG (center of gravity ), can you help me with it? and i don't know if there are any missing details in the blueprint, please do reply, i'm very eager to finish this classic warbird.

-andre

Franny
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi Andre,

I show the CG at 2 5/16" back from the leading edge of the top wing. There are two little CG symbols just above the top wing on the plans - one for a control line version and one for a RC version.

Let me know if that works or if you need more...

Thanks,

Franny

Franny
04-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi All,

The Triplane flys great!!! Here are some photos from a great flight today. Thanks again to Ron The Sky Sharkster for the preat photos!

Thanks!

Franny

CarreraGTSCS
04-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Wow, what a beauty. Great shots too. Loooks like you had some great weather this weekend. Giving me the inspiration I need to get my Polk's Dr1 assembled. Again, very nice.

Franny
04-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks!! It really is so cool to see in the air. Just nothing like it!!

f