PDA

View Full Version : 100+ mph Microjet crash

Aero Ace Ace
06-14-2008, 08:35 PM
This happened awhile back, but I just got around to reconstructing the wreckage.

Not long after earning the 125 mph badge, she suffered a glitch of some sort during a low level pass. I didn't any radar on, but it was about 110-120 mph. She hit hard ground on the left side, and broke apart on impact. The lighter pieces were strewn for 40 feet or so, but the battery flew much farther, skipping along before coming to rest.

The servos were successfully extracted and are now in a 25 mph Twinstar. The motor was transplanted into a dying Twinjet with failing brushed 480s.

CHELLIE
06-14-2008, 10:58 PM
This happened awhile back, but I just got around to reconstructing the wreckage.

Not long after earning the 125 mph badge, she suffered a glitch of some sort during a low level pass. I didn't any radar on, but it was about 110-120 mph. She hit hard ground on the left side, and broke apart on impact. The lighter pieces were strewn for 40 feet or so, but the battery flew much farther, skipping along before coming to rest.

The servos were successfully extracted and are now in a 25 mph Twinstar. The motor was transplanted into a dying Twinjet with failing brushed 480s.

Sorry to hear about your Micro jet going in, I did not have a very good day today, My Reno Racer went in, its a small p51 mustang, on 4 cells and a Dons wicked motor with a 4.75 x 4.75 apc prop,I was trimming it out, did some full throttle test to see if it wanted to climb, it did, had to re trim, and it got a little to far away from me, i lost orientation, and it went in, I should have known better than to get a small plane thats hard to see way out there, it was fast too, at 1/4 throttle, it was doing about 80MPH, I could not belive it, it was too small, hard to see for my old eyes, Dang, i am going to be 54 next month, Thank goodness I still look 29 :rolleyes: :D Take care, Chellie

FlyWheel
06-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Ouch. Good thing nothing hit anyone, at that speed even a "lightweight" LiPoly could cause some damage.

If I were to lose a speed plane though, that's the way I would like it to go; in a blaze of glory.

fr4nk1yn
06-15-2008, 05:17 AM
Dern on both crashes )':

Aero Ace Ace
06-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I think it's a good thing the lipo was ejected vs, becomming buried. It's kinetic energy was disipated more gradually. It's dented, not crushed, and still in service.

idealhobbies
06-17-2008, 12:58 AM
it was too small, hard to see for my old eyes, Dang, i am going to be 54 next month, Thank goodness I still look 29 :rolleyes: :D Take care, Chellie

Don't feel bad Chellie. I'm 36? (bad when you really have to stop and think about it) and as I get older, I am finding that my depth perception is not as good, and seeing the small plane is getting increasingly difficult. I'm with ya Hun.

I've had my eye on one of the Hobby Lobby Lynx's, but I'm worried about the 25" wingspan. I have a time with my Stryker at times, and the Lynx is a foot smaller. I'm not sure if I'd see it well enough.

I fly with Autorail1 weekly, and I'm jealous of his eyesight and depth perception. His hand and eye coordination are unreal. On many occasions Newjak and I both have thought that his plane was going to hit a tree or the ground, yet he flies right by with no problem. To my eyes, his plane is right on the tree...
...... I hate him.:D