PDA

View Full Version : GWS Slow Stik Camera on Board

debhicks
08-09-2005, 11:36 AM
www.applecorpsrc.org/images/waynesville_a.jpg (http://www.applecorpsrc.org/images/waynesville_a.jpg)
www.applecorpsrc.org/images/waynesville_b.jpg (http://www.applecorpsrc.org/images/waynesville_b.jpg)

:p These pictures were taken Aug 6, 2005. Our Asheville club was invited out to the first annual Family in the Park day at the Waynesville, NC rec center. We thought it would be fun to present them with pictures of the grounds.

My husband flew the borrowed airplane. (our project isn't finished yet) :rolleyes: You know how that is, flying someone elses airplane is always a project in itself. But the small camera took really good pictures for someone who wasn't sure they even fired it. He had his hands full as there was a slight breeze going on. :eek:

I think we are going to put a camera on our soar star. I think that is a good choice and a very stable platform for a camera. Can't wait. :D

TaSaJaRa
10-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Nice pictures , What camera were you using for your AP?

Later Craig

Rugar
10-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Nice pictures Debbie. I have everything to put together a AP plane to haul around my Nikon 7900 which I bought a few months ago for AP use only. I have a Axi 2808/24, Phx 35, Super Slim 8 RX, FMA Co Pilot, HS 55 servos for rudder, elevater, camera shutter and a HS 81 for a tilting camera mount. Im still deciding if Im going to use a Slow Stick or a Magpie AP.

Gerald

debhicks
10-06-2005, 10:05 AM
These camera's are modified pen cams. They are $19.95 at Walmart. We got these refurbished a while back for $29.95. Lucky us I suppose. We are going to build our slowstick and put a pen cam on it. I am also going to put a camera on my soarstar. I think that is going to be a perfect airplane for a camera.

Vamooska
10-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice Job Deb. SS are great platforms for cams. I plan on doing a build thread on mine that the AUW is 33 oz! It has the microwireless feed on it.....I love that thing and it makes me $$$.
Vammy

debhicks
10-07-2005, 06:23 PM
That would be cool. Well perhaps this will be my winter project.

34Ford
08-10-2006, 03:33 PM
So is there any plans to go any farther with Apple Corps website?

Warden
08-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Deb, About 10 minutes ago I finished up adding an AP rig to my Soarstar. I've been thinking about doing this and planning on how to go about it for quite some time now. I considered fabricating an entirely new fuselage, cutting a camera section out of the existing fuselage (ala Magpie AP) and a couple of other radical mods.

In the end I decided on going the simple route and did almost no mods to the existing plane. The only semi-permanent changes to the stock plane were adding strips of velcro in the battery bay up front, a strip of velcro on the underside of the wing at the trailing edge just in front of the motor and a small piece of velcro on the fin to hold a half ounce washer which is used to balance out the plane.

Basically, all I did was fabricate a mount that sits in the battery bay and is attached via velcro to the battery bay floor. To counteract the nose weight, I ran the battery connection from the esc out the vent hole in the back of the fuselage and then mounted the battery via velcro and rubber bands on the underside of the wing just in front of the motor. The plane was still just a tad nose heavy so I attached a large washer, again via velcro to the fin to balance it out.

The camera is a Canon elph 450, 5.1 megapixel which I'll trigger with a micro servo mounted over the camera trigger.

And the good news is that all up weight is 22oz! I haven't flown it yet but I'm confident it will work just fine. I'll post some pics of the rig and some aerial shots later today.

Motor is an SK 400XT, ESC is a Great Planes SS12 and the battery is a PQ 3S 800mah

Warden
08-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Here's the Soarstar pics. The camera mount is just a balsa framework with braces and an upright with a camera platform. The camera is mounted to the platform with a 1/4-20 nylon bolt via the tripod mount.

The battery is velcroed in place but I also placed two small dowel rods alongside the motor fairing so that one end of the rod is over the trailing edge of the wing and the other end is over the access hole for the motor wires. I hook rubber bands over one end of the dowel, pass it over the battery then hook it onto the other end of the dowel. The velcro would probably hold the battery by itself but the rubbder bands are extra insurance. This is the E RC version of wearing a belt and suspenders!:)

The washer on the fin weighs a half ounce and while I hate to add weight to a plane, this half ounce is all it takes to balance the plane out perfectly. Rigged as shown in the pics, the plane flies great. Climbs out with authority and the glide is hands off.

One of these days I'll get around to fabricating a better camera mount. I'd like to build one that's adjustable so I can vary the downward angle of the camera.

I took some pics with the outfit this afternoon but I didn't get anything worth posting. The important thing is, the rig worked great and I didn't have to do any real modifications to the plane.