PDA

View Full Version : Three Times In One Day!?! LONG! Real Long!

fr4nk1yn
06-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Last night I had intentions to retire my beautiful "H-29" dressed up in "Vandy 1" attire before the first crash.
I figured I take it out on special occasions i.e. when I want to show off my best scratchbuilt plane to date.
Heck I even started building a beater H-29 last night.

I get to the field and Ben is flying his gas plane.
He's taken a liking to this plane asking about the batteries, the parts, how it handles etc.
So I ask "you want to try it", An "excited" "are you sure?" was the answer.
Ben's been flying at least 15 times longer than me so I don't have any concern for the planes safety.
He's sounds concerned so I tell him "just don't crash it when I can get the parts back".
I line the plane up and hand the DX7 over to him on high rates and he's doing fine.
A few fast laps before he settle into just circling the field asking more questions.
The battery is wearing down so we do the return hand over.

note: The field is property that used to be a housing complex that was torn down a few years ago.
It's next to a school, I normally fly from the school parking lot, Ben normally flys from the the bank of trees next to "the swamp" on the far side.

During the hand over two things happen, Ben's thumb drags the stick and I thumb the stick, I pinch the right stick and thumb the left.
That sends the plane into a spiral, remember high rates, which I then over correct and the plane is in the same plane eating tree which held another one of mine hostage for 3 days a few months ago.
Kite string duct taped to a golf ball didn't reach the tall branch, neither did the baseball.
I head home to get a fishing pole and weights, I tell him "it'll be out before I get back" and sure enough it was. 1

The plane is missing it's coffee stirrer wingtips, has small cracks near the canopy cutout, a small crack in the horizontal and one of the bamboo LE reinforcements is hanging with a small dent in the LE.
I tear the bamboo off, change the Li-Po and up it goes, flying just as straight as before. I'm impressed and Ben is impressed.
I'm flying from next to the swamp my orientation is off, the black/blue paint doesn't help I pull up and it spirals nose first right into the swamp! 2.

Ben and I trek off into the swamp braving briers, snakes, ticks and the homeless people that live in the swamp.
Down the embankment and up the creek, I think "this swamp isn't too bad". The plane is too far away to get too from that direction, the Li-Po is still connected and the Thunderbird ESC is beeping.
We double back and head around from the other direction, through the homeless camp, and hear the plane, a quick power up moves the reeds on the other side of the embankment.
Ben is off before me and gets the plane.
"How is it?" I ask, "About the same as before there's but the canopy is missing".
He's heading out with the plane and I'm heading in.
"I have to find the canopy if the plane is still good". My first step down the embankment sends me ankle deep in muck :ack: I stomp over some reeds and find Snoopy still in his canopy.
Ben asks about another of my planes that went down in that area so I walk ahead to show him the brier infested tree it landing in.
I slip in the muck and go down butt first, well actually TX first. The muck is so thick and soft there's no damage to my butt or the TX, both are just covered.
I show him the tree while slipping and sliding.
"I'm out of here". I headed out with outstretched arms for balance I slip and knock Ben right in the eye.
So now Ben's had enough of the swamp up the embankment, once we find a good spot to climb up, and out we go.
The plane is also covered in muck especially the first couple inches of the nose but surprisingly there is not new damage!
So up it goes again "might as well" I say "the shine is off of it now".
I do the underhand launch thing and OUCH! prop strike! "Am I bleeding?", "It's not pouring but yeah"
It's still flying more or less straight, the only thing is I can now repeat the death spiral at will, instead of pulling up from a dive straight it corkscrews, must be the crack in the horizontal.
"I'm not going to push my luck anymore. I've had enough".
I line the plane up and it glides completely across the field. Ground effect?.
I abort, circle, with a roll thrown in, and make a longer approach.
It hits ground effect(?) again and starts it's glide. "It'll slow down" I tell myself, It doesn't.
It heads right past me and I turn just in time to see slam into the back door glass of Ben's car. 3.
It hits hard enough that he's going to need a razor to get the blue/black and red paint from the glass. Pulled the control horn from one taileron and bent the horizontal a bit.

The plane took less than 10 minutes to fix and I now have no intentions to retire it now.
Poor Thing took a beating today and lived! It deserves to FLY!

Alpea42
06-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Ha Ha Ha Ha now that sounds like an adventure.

Slowjohn
06-19-2008, 05:31 AM
H-29? Could you post some photos & info please? Sounds like a plane I should add to my hanger :D

Standing By,
SJ

offtom
06-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Is Ben still talking to you??? :<:

fr4nk1yn
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
H-29 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738825)
My plans are a touch different.
The paper cam off the fuselage after I glued so it got spackled and polycryliced.
A also tend to put a little wood by the canopy cutout since I always crack there.

As far as know he is. I didn't get to the field until late yesterday.

CHELLIE
06-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Last night I had intentions to retire my beautiful "H-29" dressed up in "Vandy 1" attire before the first crash.
I figured I take it out on special occasions i.e. when I want to show off my best scratchbuilt plane to date.
Heck I even started building a beater H-29 last night.

I get to the field and Ben is flying his gas plane.
He's taken a liking to this plane asking about the batteries, the parts, how it handles etc.
So I ask "you want to try it", An "excited" "are you sure?" was the answer.
Ben's been flying at least 15 times longer than me so I don't have any concern for the planes safety.
He's sounds concerned so I tell him "just don't crash it when I can get the parts back".
I line the plane up and hand the DX7 over to him on high rates and he's doing fine.
A few fast laps before he settle into just circling the field asking more questions.
The battery is wearing down so we do the return hand over.

note: The field is property that used to be a housing complex that was torn down a few years ago.
It's next to a school, I normally fly from the school parking lot, Ben normally flys from the the bank of trees next to "the swamp" on the far side.

During the hand over two things happen, Ben's thumb drags the stick and I thumb the stick, I pinch the right stick and thumb the left.
That sends the plane into a spiral, remember high rates, which I then over correct and the plane is in the same plane eating tree which held another one of mine hostage for 3 days a few months ago.
Kite string duct taped to a golf ball didn't reach the tall branch, neither did the baseball.
I head home to get a fishing pole and weights, I tell him "it'll be out before I get back" and sure enough it was. 1

The plane is missing it's coffee stirrer wingtips, has small cracks near the canopy cutout, a small crack in the horizontal and one of the bamboo LE reinforcements is hanging with a small dent in the LE.
I tear the bamboo off, change the Li-Po and up it goes, flying just as straight as before. I'm impressed and Ben is impressed.
I'm flying from next to the swamp my orientation is off, the black/blue paint doesn't help I pull up and it spirals nose first right into the swamp! 2.

Ben and I trek off into the swamp braving briers, snakes, ticks and the homeless people that live in the swamp.
Down the embankment and up the creek, I think "this swamp isn't too bad". The plane is too far away to get too from that direction, the Li-Po is still connected and the Thunderbird ESC is beeping.
We double back and head around from the other direction, through the homeless camp, and hear the plane, a quick power up moves the reeds on the other side of the embankment.
Ben is off before me and gets the plane.
"How is it?" I ask, "About the same as before there's but the canopy is missing".
He's heading out with the plane and I'm heading in.
"I have to find the canopy if the plane is still good". My first step down the embankment sends me ankle deep in muck :ack: I stomp over some reeds and find Snoopy still in his canopy.
Ben asks about another of my planes that went down in that area so I walk ahead to show him the brier infested tree it landing in.
I slip in the muck and go down butt first, well actually TX first. The muck is so thick and soft there's no damage to my butt or the TX, both are just covered.
I show him the tree while slipping and sliding.
"I'm out of here". I headed out with outstretched arms for balance I slip and knock Ben right in the eye.
So now Ben's had enough of the swamp up the embankment, once we find a good spot to climb up, and out we go.
The plane is also covered in muck especially the first couple inches of the nose but surprisingly there is not new damage!
So up it goes again "might as well" I say "the shine is off of it now".
I do the underhand launch thing and OUCH! prop strike! "Am I bleeding?", "It's not pouring but yeah"
It's still flying more or less straight, the only thing is I can now repeat the death spiral at will, instead of pulling up from a dive straight it corkscrews, must be the crack in the horizontal.
"I'm not going to push my luck anymore. I've had enough".
I line the plane up and it glides completely across the field. Ground effect?.
I abort, circle, with a roll thrown in, and make a longer approach.
It hits ground effect(?) again and starts it's glide. "It'll slow down" I tell myself, It doesn't.
It heads right past me and I turn just in time to see slam into the back door glass of Ben's car. 3.
It hits hard enough that he's going to need a razor to get the blue/black and red paint from the glass. Pulled the control horn from one taileron and bent the horizontal a bit.

The plane took less than 10 minutes to fix and I now have no intentions to retire it now.
Poor Thing took a beating today and lived! It deserves to FLY!

Thats a Great True Story Frank, you need to submit it to the AMA Model Avaition Mag. with some pics :D Take care, Chellie