PDA

View Full Version : B-24 Liberator anyone?

rcers
01-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I wish I could take credit for this amazing airplane, but it is my friends, Doug C.

Well I was over at his house last night with the camera and had to snap some pics of his latest project.

He is building a B-24 Liberator, that I hope Dare will be kitting. This one is a Mike Midkiff design and man is it beautiful.

Doug has sheeted the entire plane for glassing and painting, but normally it is intended for built up and covering. It looks amazing.

Here it is all in the ....

Don Sims
01-10-2006, 11:43 PM
More details please.... motors, speed controls, batteries, details!!

Isn't that better than a cool plane post!! ;)

rcers
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow Don - I was beginning to think nobody was interested! Amazing.

He is using two brushless motors in board (little 10amp motors) and two IPS s2 drives outboard. He will fly with 2s 2200(ish) Lipoly.

I don't have the span and weight just yet but the wind is in the 45+ range.

Mike

RiverPlane
01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Are those Lipos enough for the 4 motors? I'm thinking on build an electric twin engine, still looking for motorization.

rcers
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Yep, The brushless motors will run at about 6 amps each and the IPS are 2amps each so about 16amps total. Maybe 18 if he bumps up the brushless motors a tad.

Hopefully he will get 3 bladed props on it with enough power.

Mike

Don Sims
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Wonder if he's going to go with a speed control for each brushless or run both on one. I know the IPS's can be on one with no issues.

ballgunner
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I'd like to hear more. I flew the Sperry ball turret in a B two dozen in combat and have always thought about trying to build one.

rcers
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Wonder if he's going to go with a speed control for each brushless or run both on one. I know the IPS's can be on one with no issues.

Yep one each for the b/l one for both brushed.

Mike

Don Sims
01-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I'd like to hear more. I flew the Sperry ball turret in a B two dozen in combat and have always thought about trying to build one.

I had wondered with you user name and location if it was in a B-17 or B-24. One of our acquaintances was a crewman in a B-24.

Mike Parsons
01-12-2006, 12:25 AM
That is cool Mike. I was suprised to hear of the power setup as it looks huge!

-Mike

n001pa
01-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Please keep us posted.:D The B-24 is my all time favorite plane and I have wanted to build one ever since I got started in RC.

tashley
01-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Nice project! It's good to see something out of the ordinary being modeled.

rcers
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
That is cool Mike. I was suprised to hear of the power setup as it looks huge!

-Mike

He is worried about it being enough. I wanted him to not sheet the entire bird, but he is an artist at painting and wanted that.

We shall see what the AUW is. It will need the wing to fly, no question.

Thanks Guys - it is a great project and little modelled bird. I just don't get it, in fact I think we had more b-24's than b-17's (not positive on this one...).

An amazing plane and project. First flight should be in the next 2 weeks.

Mike

ballgunner
01-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Don Sims I trained on B-17s and was asigned to the B-24 because the turret was the same except the B-24 had to be retractable becaue it was too close the ground.

ballgunner
01-12-2006, 07:28 PM
rcers - Yes there were more B-24s than B-17s but they were more scattered around the globe. The B-17s were the first in England and mostly closer to London so they got the publicity. There were probably as many 24s in the 8th AAC as 17s but they didn't have Clark Gable blowing their horn.

n001pa
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
There were more B-24s than any other allied plane built. The biggest reason they weren't as popular as the "glory bombers" was because they were harder to fly and didn't crash as well as the B-17 when ditching. Movie stars like Clark Gable were assigned to the B-17s because they were easier to fly and Hollywood didn't want him to crash. My favorite actor of all time, Jimmy Stewart, refused b-17s and requested B-24s because the B-24 had the reputation of being a "pilots plane" and flew more missions.

If you can't guess, I really love the B-24!!:D

ballgunner
01-13-2006, 07:21 PM
At last there's someone in the world who recognizes quality. I wasn't too happy about going from 17s to 24s at first. Wound up with the best crew in the whole bloomin' AAC. Shot down twice, the second time in German occupied Yugoslavia. POW for four days until rescued by Tito's Partisans.
spent the next 46 days fighting with the underground until we could get to safe territory. My initial infantry training came in handy.
Getting shot down wasn't the fault of the airplane. First time landed on our side. Couldn't go back for it. They scrapped it on the spot. I was lucky the rest of the crew went to Germany to POW camps until the war ended. I too am 81 yrs old. Still a WWI fan. When I started building in '34 there were some WWI types still flying from local airports. Real airplanes have two wings !!!

n001pa
01-13-2006, 07:53 PM
I bet you have some great stories. I, for one, would be honored to meet you. If I make my trip to Pima later this year as planned I might look you up so we can do some flying.

By the way, my life long dream is to get a ride in a B-24. If the Collins Foundation ever comes close to me I will be $400 poorer.:D

rcers
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
By the way, my life long dream is to get a ride in a B-24. If the Collins Foundation ever comes close to me I will be $400 poorer.:D

Yea in fact the Guy building this B-24 as a uncle or brother that did a production DVD for the Collings foundation. He actually got a ride from one show to another in their Libby! How would that be!

Amazing I am sure. Right there with you BTW - it is in DFW this year so I will have to go..

Mike

Don Sims
01-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Ballgunner, please record your memors if you haven't already!! Too many folks have gone on with untold stories.
Don

n001pa
01-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Ballgunner, please record your memors if you haven't already!! Too many folks have gone on with untold stories.
Don

I agree. One of the best books I ever read was The Wild Blue.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C37EB/qid=1137220616/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-1895442-8525533?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
Great book. A must read for any B-24 fan.

ballgunner
01-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a copy of The Wild Blue and can't say much good about it. Our group the 454th was on the same double runway field at San Giovanni as the 455th. He refers to the founder of our 454th Bomb Group Asssociation as being in the the 455th. Angelo Ricardi was the guy who was teaching the Italian kid how to speak English. He was a lead Bombardier for the 739th Sq. (my outfit) That Italian kid is now a member of the 454th Bomb Group Association and has attended some of our reunions. He has had a memorial plaque, dedicated to the 454th, placed in the Cathedral at Cerignola. There are too many other little nitpicking things that he has plagiarised to make it completely believable. I read the book with some first hand knowledge of the facts. Enjoyed most of it but too many things he got from someone else. He wasn't there, I was. Sounds like a biography of Senator McGovern. So he got the DFC. Big deal! That
came with the end of your 35 missions, along with the Air Medal and 3 clusters. Still some interesting stuff but many grains of salt should be at hand while reading. Never got mine because I was MIA and sent home immediately on return to allied lines.
One good thing about it was it brought attention to the facct that the B-17 wasn't the only bomber in the war and the Eighth wasn't the only Air Force in Europe.

n001pa
01-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for shedding some light on that book. I still enjoy the stories but now when I read it I'll picture someone other than McGovern in the lead roll.

I noticed on the International B-24 Clubs site that the B-24 served in Korea. I did not know this. Does anybody have any info on the Liberators that served in Korea? There might be some unique liveries from that forgotten war.

ballgunner
01-15-2006, 06:13 AM
Don't know about any B-24s in Korea. By that time I was in Douglas Invaders - the B-26 with the AF - A-26 with the AAC. I was in the 454th Group, 739th Sq. When Korea came along I was in the 452nd Grp, 729th Sq. We had B-26Cs. Strafing nose. 6 50s in the nose, 4 50s on the fuselage sides and 4 more on wing mounts outside the props. By that time I was flying in the co-pilots seat. If there were any B-24s in the area they might have been transports or private use for high ranks. Somehow doubt there were any there. There were many abandoned on islands in the Pacific. I saw some of the Grp airplanes from my 15th AF unit in the scrap yard in Tucson, AZ.

n001pa
01-15-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm going to send an email off to that club and see if they can give me any info on them. I'll let you know what I find out. I'm betting they were the PB4Ys used for maritime patrols.

Mac
01-16-2006, 01:48 AM
share some stories with us ballgunner im sure everyone would like to here some.

rcers
01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
The Libby has a little bit of paint on it now. Keith Sparks snapped these pics last Saturday. Detailing to come...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4892630&postcount=18

Mike

Mac
01-18-2006, 05:23 PM
He has done a great job on it,hope everything goes right on the the first flight.

rcers
01-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Me too - it is a little porky. I will get an AUW when he is finished.

He is limited on prop size too, and that can be a factor. But it has a thick big wing, and that should tame the beast!

Mike

rcers
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Final pics - she is ready to fly!

All handpainted BTW. Doug is a master.

rcers
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
More pics....

rcers
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Couple more...

ballgunner
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Tailgunners name is Patrick McIlhon, Nose gunner is Johnny Blaylock, Pilot is F. Kent Vosper. Sure that's just for me but I like it.

Don Sims
01-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Sweet Mike! Please pass along "Excellent job and two thimbs up!!"

n001pa
01-28-2006, 08:13 AM
:cool:

Please let us know how she flys.

K CLOSE
02-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I would love to build a e-rc B-24. My grandfather flew one in the Pac. from just about wars start and stayed on after the close as a ferry flyer. I know that he flew the "no strain" with the reluctant dragons, but he doesn't talk about the war much. I'm pretty sure if I built one I could get him to at least help with the details, and maybe pass on some stories. Slightly off topic, sorry-anyway-will you post here if the model gets kitted?

ballgunner
02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Sorry I don't know of any EP B-two dozens kits. I can assure you if I knew of a good one it would be on my shop bench very soon. The larger nitro B-24s are by Jack Stafford who has ads in the model mags and they are only plans. We have a copying shop in town that can do reductions of large plans and I've thought that perhaps one of the plans could be reduced enough to change it to EP. At this moment I'm buildig a Deweyville Special for a friend to be followed by a Pietenpol Air Camper and a Sig LT-25 both nitro. Perhaps the Pietepol will be an EP conversion, It is an OLD midwest kit. After that I plan to try a WWI Bristol M1c from Balsa USA and convert it to EP brushless and Li-pos.
I think a reasonable sized B-24 with brushless and Li-pos is a possibility but the hurrier I go the farther behind I get. As such a Liberator H would be my choice, they were lighter and faster than the Js and got better gas mileage. Only difference is a slight change in the distance from the windshield to the Nose turret. If you find anything good let me know.
Ballgunner

Bomberguy
03-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just had to register and make my first post in this thread because I'm a B-24 nut. Some of the posts ask about B-24 kits? Well, I happen to be a co-owner of Jack Stafford Models and we do have a B-24 kit. You can check it out at www.JSModels.com (http://www.JSModels.com) . Right now, I'm building a 24 that's electric powered. This will be a contest model. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to post a picture of my new B-24.

John Colby
Co-Owner, Jack Stafford Models
www.JSModels.com (http://www.JSModels.com)

n001pa
03-09-2006, 09:12 AM
That looks great but unfortunately it's way beyond my building skill. I look forward to following your progress on your though.

rcers
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
John - Welcome! That looks fantastic. Great project. There is another one out there (I think a tad larger) too. But none in this "smaller" size. First flight should be soon. Just waiting on a couple of minor details and a good day! Mike

rcers
04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
She flew today! Winds were 10-15mph not ideal.....

http://media.putfile.com/Doug-Cohen-b24-liberator-mike-llewellyn

Digi cam video not the greatest.

Mike

fabricator
04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
She flew today! Winds were 10-15mph not ideal.....

http://media.putfile.com/Doug-Cohen-b24-liberator-mike-llewellyn

Digi cam video not the greatest.

Mike

OMG! Was there any damage from the landing? I would be terrified to maiden a beautiful thing like that in those winds.:eek:

rcers
04-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Nope no damage it looked a bit worse that it was. All in all a good day, considering Doug was fairly hesistant to fly it to begin with.

Mike

fabricator
04-18-2006, 01:27 AM
I certainly cant blame him there, it looked like a pretty uneventful maiden though.

Don Sims
04-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Congrats on the maiden!! This is one of those many times I wish we didn't have dialup so I can see your video!

Jollyroger
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
My dad was a nose gunner in a B-24 in the Pacific. He flew out of Aussie land and New Guinea -Port Morsby. He was with the 5th AF, 90th Bomb group, 321st Squadron aka the Jolly Rogers. I have a few pics of him with his plane"Moby Dick" of which there were several 24's with that nose.
cheers Jolly Roger

ballgunner
04-30-2006, 08:22 PM
I was with the 15th AAF in Cerignola, San Giovani Air Base. 304 BW, 454 th Grp, 739th Sq. Ours was a double runway field with the 455th across the field. The book "Wild Blue Yonder" by Ambrose glorifies George Mcgovern who was a pilot with the 455th. I just had to read it but was disappointed with his "facts". Example; he tells of a bombardier that was teaching an Italian boy English. The guy was our lead bombardier and was in the 454th. McGovern got a DFC which was the sort of medal that you got when you finished your 35 missions.
I wasn't so lucky. Got shot down in Yugoslavia, captured, rescued by Tito's Partisans and spent the next 46 days fighting as infantry with them. One parachute jump from 16,000 feet.
Our airplane was an unpainted J model named Silver Shark. Last I saw it was headed back toward Germany but it couldn't have gone far. It was a wreck by then.
Oh well, I was one of four that the Partisans cut loose from the Germans. The balance of the crew went to prison. Funniest part was we were breaking in a new crew and the co-pilot, an engineer, navigator and cameraman were on their first mission. I was in the U.S. on a train to a convalescent hospital when the war ended in Europe.
Life does get exciting sometimes and I'm happy to have lived it so far. RC is what I settle for now. Stopped flying full scale 10 years ago but I still miss it. Been modeling since 1934, free flight gas since '36.
Little else to tell. Retired in '77 as a Captain on the Fire Dpt. and a Captain in the CAP. Now you probably know more about me than you wanted to - but there it is.

fabricator
04-30-2006, 08:46 PM
A mere tank you for your service hardly seems to fit, but I do thank you Ballgunner, truely one of the "Greatest Generation".

n001pa
05-01-2006, 01:19 AM
I still love to read your posts ballgunner. You really ought to write down some of you stories. I'm sure there are many of us that love to read the stories of, as fabricator put it, the "Greatest Generation". I have never met someone that served in WWII that was anything less than a great person.

fabricator
05-01-2006, 01:48 AM
I still love to read your posts ballgunner. You really ought to write down some of you stories. I'm sure there are many of us that love to read the stories of, as fabricator put it, the "Greatest Generation". I have never met someone that served in WWII that was anything less than a great person.

True that:)

Don Sims
05-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Here-here!! Please consider posting your memories over in the off topic forum or here ballgunner.

WWII-researcher
12-26-2010, 12:11 AM
At last there's someone in the world who recognizes quality. I wasn't too happy about going from 17s to 24s at first. Wound up with the best crew in the whole bloomin' AAC. Shot down twice, the second time in German occupied Yugoslavia. POW for four days until rescued by Tito's Partisans.
spent the next 46 days fighting with the underground until we could get to safe territory. My initial infantry training came in handy.
Getting shot down wasn't the fault of the airplane. First time landed on our side. Couldn't go back for it. They scrapped it on the spot. I was lucky the rest of the crew went to Germany to POW camps until the war ended. I too am 81 yrs old. Still a WWI fan. When I started building in '34 there were some WWI types still flying from local airports. Real airplanes have two wings !!!
Ballgunner: My grandfather was also a navigator in the 454th and was shot down over Yugoslavia. He was rescued by the partisans, too, but I didn't learn of his experiences until after his death in 1979. Would you be interested in sharing more details about your experiences?

By the way, my grandfather was actually a RC enthusiast and had his flying field named after him posthumously.

Rc247
12-26-2010, 09:01 AM
This is my first post on Wattflyer so what a better thread to do it on.
I worked on what use to be called "All American" and "909". When I was a kid my father worked for Tom Reilly down in Kissimmee,Fla and he would take me with him to work on the weekends and summers. I got to help do everything from "bucking rivets" to sandblasting the salvageable parts.There was this one time they couldn't get to some rivets in a little compartment in the main gear(they use to use "midgets" to access them) and I was the only one that could fit at the time so I had to climb in there to buck them. I like to think I played an important part of putting that beautiful piece of history back together!!!
It was some of the best times in my life! I have flown in "909" more times than I can count and Bob Collins B-25 but never got to go up in "All American"! I didn't get to see the B-24 finish (as I had to go back to school and my dad quit Reilly Aviation soon after due to some tax issues).
These big bombers have a special place in my heart as they remind me of how lucky I was as a kid and how cool of a dad I have!!!:)
Alan

Rc247
12-26-2010, 09:05 AM
BTW that is one BEAUTIFUL liberator!!! The dates are old so is it still flying Rcers?

rcers
12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes he is still flying this plane. :)

jmedic313
12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Ballgunner,

i found this pic online and was wondering if this was your plane???

jmedic313
12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
oopsss forgot the link

jmedic313
12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
heres the link....

jmedic313
12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.b24bestweb.com/images/B24/SILVERSHARK4.JPG

jmedic313
12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.b24bestweb.com/Pics-S-SILVER_S-SILVER_V.htm

heres a few more pictures

TM4197
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
BTW....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the B-24....Dec 29th 1939:D

Capt Easy
12-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I wish I could take credit for this amazing airplane, but it is my friends, Doug C.

Well I was over at his house last night with the camera and had to snap some pics of his latest project.

He is building a B-24 Liberator, that I hope Dare will be kitting. This one is a Mike Midkiff design and man is it beautiful.

Doug has sheeted the entire plane for glassing and painting, but normally it is intended for built up and covering. It looks amazing.

Here it is all in the ....

I've been looking for a B-24 but most I've seen so far are very large or foam. I've only been in RC for 2 1/2 years and not familiar with "IPS s2 drives...." used on outboard. What's that mean?

My interest in this plane stems from a B-24H named "DRAGON LADY" assigned to the 449th BG, 719th Sqn that went down over Yugo on her 24th mission 12 Apr 1944. The pilot got her down with bomb bay doors open and the nose wheel in the down position.....most difficult if not impossible without the ship breaking up.

I had the priviledge of knowing one of the waist gunners for several years who compiled a history of the plane and crew including photos of the downed aircraft. The original co-pilot was a personal friend of "Terry and the Pirates" cartoonist, Milton Caniff, who sent original pen and ink line drawings of the Dragon Lady charactor, and the waist gunner transferred it to the side of the plane. All crew made it out okay and eventually e&e'd with the help of the Partisons after being chased by the Germans for 26 days. There's much, much more to the story but can't take the time here.

Anyway, I look forward to following the thread and more details on this build andl add some photos of the "Dragon Lady" when I locate them.

Thanks

n001pa
12-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I've been looking for a B-24 but most I've seen so far are very large or foam. I've only been in RC for 2 1/2 years and not familiar with "IPS s2 drives...." used on outboard. What's that mean?

My interest in this plane stems from a B-24 named "DRAGON LADY" that went down over Yugo on her 24th mission. The pilot got her down with bomb bay doors open and the nose wheel in the down position.....most difficult if not impossible without the ship breaking up.

I had the priviledge of knowing one of the waist gunners for several years who compiled a history of the plane and crew including photos of the downed aircraft. The original co-pilot was a personal friend of "Terry and the Pirates" cartoonist, Milton Caniff, who sent original pen and ink line drawings of the Dragon Lady charactor, and the waist gunner transferred it to the side of the plane. All crew made it out okay and eventually e&e'd with the help of the Partisons after being chased by the Germans for 26 days. There's much, much more to the story but can't take the time here.

Anyway, I look forward to following the thread and more details on this build andl add some photos of the "Dragon Lady" when I locate them.

Thanks

I have found several B-24's named "Dragon Lady". Take a look and see if you can tell which one.

http://www.b24bestweb.com/Pics-D-DRAGON_LADY-V1-V3.htm

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/title-dragon.htm

I really wish a big company like Horizon would try multi engine warbirds and give the Liberator a try. I really think they could sell a lot of them. I know I'd probably buy a couple myself.

rcers
12-30-2010, 06:58 PM

They are old brushed/geared motors from GWS.

By the way - he has been flying a bigger version now....that Doug made out of foam. All scratch built from blue foam. Amazing eh?

It is a remarkable plane. AUW is around 6 lbs and 4 brushless motors on 3s voltage.

Mike

Capt Easy
12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeh, roger that, there were several "Dragon Ladies" but this is the one I'm familiar with...

B-24H serial # 41-28647 or 41-38647 (not sure which now) A/C #134 shot & down crash landed near Klostar, Yugoslavia. Target Wiener-Neustadt 12Apr 1944.

Thanks for the info on those outboard motors but I'm curious why all not all brushless..?

rcers
12-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info on those outborde motors but I'm curious why all not all brushless..?

Likely cost - remember this thread is old. It was built 4 years ago. Cheap Chinese motors did not exist then.

:)

Capt Easy
12-31-2010, 12:32 AM
My appology never noted how old it was....

I've been trying to upload an original image of the crew in a front of the their ship and the Nose Art.. but the format is too large - do you know how to resize it for posting here?

Thanks

rcers
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Open it with microsoft picture manager (not viewer). Right click in the file view, select compress(or resize) and select one of the options.

Capt Easy
12-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Open it with microsoft picture manager (not viewer). Right click in the file view, select compress(or resize) and select one of the options.
Thanks buddy.. I don't think I had Picture Mgr but finally
managed to get it done through Picasa. Check it out -
My friend's dad was kneeling - bot row - 2nd from rt

PerlAddict
01-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Mike, does Doug have retracts in that plane or are they static?

And does Doug do commission work? All I've wanted since getting into this hobby several years ago was to get a replica of Grandpa's B-24J built and give it to Dad as a present.

rcers
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Mike, does Doug have retracts in that plane or are they static?

And does Doug do commission work? All I've wanted since getting into this hobby several years ago was to get a replica of Grandpa's B-24J built and give it to Dad as a present.

No retracts...

Yes he does work on commission, with his hand sculpted pieces. He is a grand master figure painter and very sought after. I just don't want you to be surprised by the costs.

I can give you his contact information if you wish.

Mike