PDA

View Full Version : Warbirds using any power

Nathan
07-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Warbirds are always a crowd favorite no matter the power source. Electric power offers a wide variety of choice and can easily have you building a 1/2a model or a 120 size beauty. Welcome warbird fans.

olereo
07-20-2005, 11:30 PM
True... If my avitar shows, it will be an L-2 which is one of the few "war birds" I've flown. However, there are a bunch of electric powered indoor and par flyers popping up. My own first electric and who knows what is the Earl Stahl O-49 which became the L-1. I haven't flown it yet - and may never get her in the air... but at least this is a start for this forum...

Reese

admin
07-20-2005, 11:42 PM
The march to the first million posts always starts with Post #1 :-)

welcome warbird fans!

michpittsman
07-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Got plans worked up for a 44" version with two 50w Himaxx outrunners; will cut depron as soon as I can lay my hands on some! Maybe you should call me Bronco Jimmy!

Mustang
07-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Hey guys,
Check out my GWS P-51 in the foamies post

Gullwing
07-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Just finished my GWS Mustang today... Wanted to finish yesterday so I could take her out this morning but had to make ONE MORE trip to the LHS. I'm using an e-flite brushless and Lipo's. I figure one more week isn't going to kill me. More time to tweak.:rolleyes:

Gullwing
07-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Here is a pic well I guess not..................Hey whats up with the pics not uploading?

Ron
07-25-2005, 11:34 PM
I fly mostly WW1 fighters of the Fokker type...DR1....D V111.....E 111....etc .
I guess my 103" Catalina sorta qualifies as a " warbird" too eh ?

luc
07-26-2005, 08:36 PM
here are mines...

Gullwing
07-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Ok here is pictures I tried to post a couple days ago......

Gullwing
07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey luc, I really like the Texan......

RickAvery
07-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Iíve recently built up a GWS Mustang but went a slightly different route. I put a HiMaxx 2816 1220kv outrunner direct drive system in it. Using a CC25 ESC, 3cell, 1500mah 10c LIPo, and an APC 9045e prop, she flies excellent! 10 to 15 min flights with mixed flying. 50+ flights. Happy flying.
Rick

luc
07-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Gullwing
The Texan is the one I like most: very stable in flight, nice deco, ez to land.

Gullwing
07-28-2005, 11:36 PM
luc
Who makes that Texan? And what is your setup?

modeldesigns
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Here are my contributions to the Warbirds thread on the new Watt Flyer site...can't wait for the Hanger 9 Thunderbolt!

Good luck with the site Marc.

Cheers,

Pete (Wiltshire, UK)

Specifications for the Mustang:
65" Hanger 9 Mustang
8lb-10ozs flying weight
5V UBEC for the Rx
6V UBEC for the retracts
Axi 4130/16 motor, radial mount
Jeti Advance 75-3P ESC
(Hard timing, no brake)
Thunder Power 6Ah 6s3p ProLite cells
(As two, 6Ah 3s3p in series)
16x10 APC Pattern prop
6780rpm @ 49A
10lb static thrust
64mph pitch speed
10 minute warbird flight consuming on average 4.5A

Specifications for the Corsair:
65" Hanger 9 Corsair
9lbs flying weight
5V UBEC for the Rx
6V UBEC for the retracts
Jeti Advance 75-3P ESC
(Hard timing, no brake)
16x10 APC Pattern prop
6780rpm @ 49A
10lbs static thrust
64mph pitch speed
10 minute warbird flight consuming on average 4.5A

Specifications for the P40:
65" Hanger 9 P40E Warhawk
8lb-9ozs flying weight
5V UBEC for the Rx
5V UBEC for the retracts
Jeti Advance 45-3P ESC
(Hard timing, no brake)
15x10 APC Pattern prop (to keep under the 45A limit of the ESC)
7200rpm @ 42A
8lb 10ozs static thrust
68mph pitch speed
10 minute warbird flight consuming on average 4.0A

luc
07-29-2005, 12:26 PM
the AT-6 is also a Hangar 9 ARF and my setup is very similar to Pete's:
axi 4130/16, jeti 77A, apc 15*10E, Ubec 5V, 6S lipo packs (various configurations).

modeldesigns
07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Luc,

I like your AT-6, and I am sure I will end up owning one!

According to my findings I get more thrust for less current (at a similar pitch speed) using the APC Pattern props. They are heavier, but more robust with it. It would be interesting to see if you reach the same conclusion if you tried a 15x10 APC Pattern prop on your AT-6.

Last year I built a dedicated test stand to minimise errors and prove the figures.

Hanger 9 do not do a Spifire yet so I am buiding my own. 70" wingspan and hopefully 9lbs weight, for identical hardware as used in my Mustang and Corsair. The pics show the CNC cut basic fuselage framing.

Cheers,

Pete.

luc
07-29-2005, 02:54 PM
GL for your spit . I bought the WM spit 60 but was not very pleased by her behaviour (very unstable in flight),and on a not so heavy landing, both retracts went thru the wing...I discarded the spit.
I don't own any apc pattern prop, so I can't compare, but I am rather pleased by the E props: light, cheap . They break easily if they hit the ground, but that protects the motor shaft...

olereo
07-29-2005, 04:59 PM
I fly mostly WW1 fighters of the Fokker type...DR1....D V111.....E 111....etc .
I guess my 103" Catalina sorta qualifies as a " warbird" too eh ?

Well, Reckon it would... must be a eye opener at the flying field...
I'm not ready for a twin engine yet... Would ike to see a pic of yours...

Reese

bwillhite
07-30-2005, 05:59 AM
I really miss my Top-Flite AT-6 Texan, I converted to e-power, but it was lost on the first flight! I have never again powered a e-conversion with marginal power...I was using an AXI 4130/16 on 20-GP3300's, too little power and too much weight.

e-powered warbirds are cool!

Brian

luc
07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
yep, the problem was the 20 GP3300 is the weight: around 1.4kg
My lightest setup with the same motor is 6S2P TP 1320 for 0.37 kg, that's a huge difference for roughly the same amps, and a much lower consumption in flight...

CorsairJock
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Here is my Hanger 9 Corsair, powered by the ever popular AXI 4130/16 with 6 cell/ 4400mAh Li-Poly, swinging 14 x 8 prop. All up wieght is 8 lbs, 6 oz, which accounts for it's very scale looking 12 minute flights.
Winner of 2005 Mid America Electric Fly "Best Scale" award, presented by Ken Myers and Kieth Shaw.

As you might detect, it was stripped of original covering, sheeted balsa areas were covered with 1/2 oz/yd 'glass, open areas covered with flat gray Coverite, painted with Behr house paint, and details like scale rounded fuselage aft of cowl flaps, tailhook cut-out, machine gun ports and exhaust stacks were added. Cowl is modified Top Flite Corsair cowl, canopy is Top Flite also.

rcers
08-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Here is my GWS spit. Glassed and painted. Amazing a $30 hunk of foam can look so good....

And it flies wonderfully! Fast and sleek. Himax 2015 for power on 3s Lipoly.

Mike
:D:D

Joe Ortiz
08-06-2005, 11:27 PM
RCERS, what did you use to glass the foam, the final weight, and the overall durability of the plane?, I have a GWS Me-109 as an experiment for RCCA Combat.

Joe

rcers
08-07-2005, 12:44 AM
RCERS, what did you use to glass the foam, the final weight, and the overall durability of the plane?, I have a GWS Me-109 as an experiment for RCCA Combat.

Joe

I used .5oz glass. The final weight is 18oz AUW with 3s 2100 LiPoly and the 2.5oz on the nose it took to balance. :eek::):o

I used water based poly urathane with the glass instead of epoxy. 3 coats. I love that stuff! It is easy to work with, does not smell and dries fairly hard (not epoxy hard).

It is very very durable. I didn't use the spar (to save weight) and the wing and tail surfaces are plently tough. I didn't use the tail wire joiner either, as the glass and WBPU makes the surfaces and the foam joiner on the elevator strong enough.

Great plane, it flies well even at that weight. A keeper for sure.

Mike

Joe Ortiz
08-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Sounds good, I might, I might give it a try, what servos did you use?

Joe

rcers
08-08-2005, 02:39 PM
what servos did you use

HS55's or GWS Picos are all I use. Usually 55's.

Mike

scalercflyer
08-11-2005, 03:17 AM
He guys, I have a GWS Spitfire...does that count?

Electroman7
08-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm working on a world models Spitfire. Motor is an Astro 60, 9s2p 5000 mah Lipo pack. Spins a 14X8 3 blade at 8800 rpm and 30amps. Model has springair retracts. Will post a picture once it is done.

luc
08-17-2005, 02:35 AM
GL on it. I bought recently ther wm spit, found it a handful to fly. Both wheels went inside the wells during a not so hard landing...I retired it.
9S looks a lot to me as this plane is rather lighter than my H9 warbirds. I flew it in 6S.

Electroman7
08-17-2005, 01:56 PM
GL on it. I bought recently ther wm spit, found it a handful to fly. Both wheels went inside the wells during a not so hard landing...I retired it.
9S looks a lot to me as this plane is rather lighter than my H9 warbirds. I flew it in 6S.

I have seen retracts supplied by the kit maker cause problems as they are too lightly built so I replaced them with a good set of spring air. This model was origionally powered by a Saito .91, so it has successfully flown. The Astro 60 requires about 36 volts to operate at max power. The Astro motor and the 9s2p lipo pack just about cancell out the Saito motor, servo, fuel lines and gas tank weight wise. When the fuel tank was full (14 oz) the weight exceeded that of this electrical set up. Spitfires sometimes have vicious stall characteristics depending on which kit they are and where the C.G. is at. As this model has been flown with the glow motor, The C.G. location is pretty well nailed down, so hopefully there won't be any surprises on test flight day.

luc
08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
good for you if it has already flown.Keep the Cg where it was.
original retracts ar good and sturdy (3/16 struts), the problem came from the supports.
What I disliked also on this model were the wheel size, I considered too small.

jamarca
10-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Hello Pete:

I'm also a Spitfire lover and have built several (up to 1/5th scale) over 45 years of modelling. I always hated to have a cylinder head sticking out of the beautiful cowl, and recently have been toying with the idea of scratch building one for e-power. Yours seems the perfect size. How will you be powering yours? If you are willing to share the plans, I would like to buy a set; your airplane looks very well engineered for e-flight. By the way, what MK is your design?

Regards,

Javier

modeldesigns
10-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Hi Javier,

Thanks for reminding me that progress on the Spitfire has halted (!).
I hope to start again soon.

Hardware will be as per my Hanger 9 models (see post No 15).

Its a Mk IX at the moment though it may end up as PR XI since seeing the cover of Novembers 'Aeroplane'. It shows a PR XI in blue with invasion stripes.

Assuming it all works well I hope to make plans and parts available.

Cheers,

Pete.

jamarca
10-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Javier,

Thanks for reminding me that progress on the Spitfire has halted (!).
I hope to start again soon.

Hardware will be as per my Hanger 9 models (see post No 15).

Its a Mk IX at the moment though it may end up as PR XI since seeing the cover of Novembers 'Aeroplane'. It shows a PR XI in blue with invasion stripes.

Assuming it all works well I hope to make plans and parts available.

Cheers,

Pete.
Thanks Pete for your prompt reply. I wish you all the best on your project which I will follow with great interest. My personal pet project, on which I have been procrastinating, for several years mainly due to the battery issue, is a 96" wingspan Westland Whirlwind to be powered by two MaxCim brushless motors. This sunday I succesfully flew a new 60 sized Graupner Extra with one of the MaxCim motors and an 6s2p lipo battery and have decided my quest is over, so I will be looking forward to finishing my Whirlwind. If you or anybody else out there is interested interested I'll keep you up to date.

Regards,

Javier

jamarca
10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks Pete for the quick reply. I wish you the best on your project and look forward to its success. I know what you mean about getting behind schedule. My own pet project which is several years behind schedule is a 96" ws. "Westland Whirlwind" to be powered by two MaxCim motors. The main reason for the delay has been doubts on appropriate batteries, but I recently tested one motor on a Graupner ARF 60 sized Extra on a 6s2p Lipo and it has tons of Power at very reaonable weight, so I am going ahead with the project and hope to have the Whirlwind in the air by March next year. If anybody's interested I can provide more details.

Regardas,

Javier

modeldesigns
10-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi Javier,

The pic shows the cooling air duct for the motor utilising the intake on the full size. This should avoid any unsightly openings around the nose. The same duct will direct air over the ESC and cells with the warmed air extracted through the structure and out via the wing radiators. It's a torturous route, time will tell if it works or not!

Yes, please share with myself and everyone details of your exciting Whirlwind project. From my experience with the 4130/16 driving a 16 x 10 Pattern prop on 6s (presumably 6s/motor?) your 96" wingspan sounds ideal. If you can achieve a model weight of around 16-18lb, it will perform very well indeed.

Pete.

jamarca
10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello Pete:

I'm flattered by your interest in my Whirlwind. As mentioned, It spans 96" giving it close to 1200 sq. in. of wing area and the target weight is between 15 and 17lb. (Between 29 and 33 0z/sq.ft. wing loading). My love affair with the Whirlwind was born many years ago in my teens, but I had never considered the project seriously until about ten years ago when electric power began to make the project realistic to me. I had a hard time researching the airplane and getting a set of drawings to my liking. As you know, there is no surviving example of the airplane, although a few years ago I heard a rumor that some one was restoring one in Scotland, but I have never heard this mentioned again. Any way, Bob Banka came to the rescue providing a beautiful set which I could work with, along with some old drawings by Wylam. The real clincher however was a trip to London about eight years ago, where on a lazy weekend I went to Portobello Rd. and guess what I found: Piled up amid old books and panflets was a copy of "The Westland Whirlwind flight manual"!!!! My knees went weak, my heart missed a beat and started pounding, and my wife looked at me as if I'd seen a ghost!!!! (Actually I guess I had: The ghost of this beautiful child hood dream). So when I returned home I dilligently went to work on a set of plans, and about eight months later had them all drawn up and ready to go.....until I did some calculations on all up weight and my heart sank. The batteries that I considered to give me any kind of decent flight times were the recently put on the market Panasonic 3000 mah Nicad batteries of which I would need 20 cells for each MaxCim motor and the weight scared me off. (over 40 oz./sq.ft. is to scary for me). Fortunately, this has changed with the new LiPo cells, so I've started to work on the project slowly while I save enough to buy the necessary batteries.

So that's the story for now, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

All the best,

Javier

Tweet
10-13-2005, 05:20 AM
You know the Hangar 9 150 P-47 coming out later this year looks good for electric. It sounds like it will be reasonably light for this size and type airplane (as the Hangar 9 airplanes tend) and will have access to the radio/battery compartment through a large removable hatch...ideal for electric. Not even the large Top Flight P-51 or the now gone Hangar 9 150 P-51 had that. Check it out:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN2700

modeldesigns
10-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi Javier,

That's a great story. Your Whirlwind is going to be superb at 15-17lb, 2lb/sq ft wing loading and 2 x 6s volts. Best of luck.

Hi Tweet,
It looks like 2006 is going to belong to the P47. I plan to electrify the new 65" Hanger 9 P47 and would like to try the same on the new 81" version too, maybe 9s and a 53 series Axi?

Pete.

luc
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
that's exactly what I was thinking about (9S, 53XX) but I am afraid power/ratio will not be sufficient (the 8 lbs warbirds from H9 already need a 6S and the P47 150 weighs the double...).

Tweet
10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Luc & Pete, I'll already have 10S batteries for my 28% Wild Hare so I am going 10S with an AXI 5330/18 unless something better presents itself on the motor front. Of all the components on my 28% WH, I will be pushing the AXI the hardest in terms of its specifications. I am using 10S4P on the battery so plenty of headroom current wise. Should fly the P-47 very nicely.

modeldesigns
10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Luc,

I have my reservations too using 9s. I am sure it will FLY the 81" P47, but how 'warbird' well is another matter.

By the time the model is available there may be more choice as to motors and ESC for 12s volts - that should do it (and keep the current down), albeit at a cost.

Tweet

I was hoping to standardise my E flight using multiples of TP 6Ah 3s3p packs, hence the 9s or 12s option. But I would agree with you, 10s is going to work.

Pete.

Tweet
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
10S will fly the P-47 very non-warbird like (unlimited vertical).

luc
10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Pete
I have the same approach as you about multiple 3S.
I was also thinking about a 12S (rather than 9S) for the P47 150 H9.
Now, I am not sure axi 53XX are fine enough as their kv looks too high. I would like also to stay in 1P like I do on the 60 sized H9 (6S1P).
So looking for a motor drawing 30A in 12S....any idea around??...(and not costing arm and leg)

tweet: I prefer to fly in 12S 1P rather than 10S2Por 3P ...that will save weight and money...

jamarca
10-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Hello Pete:

I've been wondering if you would like to see the plans. I'm still at a stage where I can make most any modification and it would be nice to get some feedback and hear suggestions on anything that might improve the design. If you or anybody else out there is interested I can make the plans available, in the understanding that the airplane is still unfinished and of course has not been flown. If you are interested, please send me your coordinates so I can mail them to you.

Regards,

Javier