PDA

View Full Version : Lost plane search locator alarm?

birdDog
06-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Well, Lost my pitts 12 monster just now. Got it in the air after a long stay on the bench and must have had the Cg way back or something. Way too squirrely to control but I did get some altitude. I had a 2100mah with an Axi 2820-10 and an align 35amp BL35G esc.

Managed to get about 150' altutude and was trying to trim, or anything that would work, and the plane just kept floundering. Got about 100-150 yards out above the woods and I could not see it to get my orintation. I just kept it bobbing around for a couple minutes. Finally I lost it into the trees.

The esc has a locator option that sends an alarm signal to he motor when it gets no transmitter signal for over 30 seconds. I lost the plane at sunset. What are the odds that It will still be beeping in the morning? Slim.

I will have to dress in full bdu's to hike through this overgrown mess in the morning and hope to get lucky. I have about $450 out there beeping a distress call as I write this:sad:.

Got my outfit, compass, sketter repelent, solid boots, water and a buck knife ready to go. Wish me luck:blah:

birdDog
06-22-2008, 03:29 AM
P.S. If any of you do loose a plane in this manner, be SURE to take reference points and mark a heading to where you last saw it. In the excitement, I did not. I jumped in the car very hastily to check out how far the woods went before the next field. Unfortunately, with a google satelite map, the woods go on for about 3/4 mile:(

Murocflyer
06-22-2008, 03:30 AM
That's terrible news! I hate to hear that. We just had a plane fly away and it's not fun at all.

Good luck!! I'm surprised you have enough control to not be out there with a million power flashlight hunting for it.

Keep us posted.

Frank

birdDog
06-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Search tonight? South side of chicago. Wouldn't mind packing my sidearm.:cool:

Murocflyer
06-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Search tonight? South side of chicago. Wouldn't mind packing my sidearm.:cool:

Oh boy. Sorry to hear that even more.

Frank

gfdengine204
06-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Dang Rob, sorry to hear this.....

I was gonna say you should come out to my club's fun fly tomorrow, but it looks like you have other plans now...... :(

birdDog
06-22-2008, 03:42 AM
Kinda funny you mention that. The field I will be hiking through is having a warbird fly tomorrow. I will be a sight for sore eyes when I walk back in, in my woodland camo, looking like a downed pilot. Plane or not. (lots of brambles and stickers). I will have so much DEET on me, nobody will let me near their planes for fear of me melting them!:D

stevecooper
06-22-2008, 03:43 AM
South side of chicago's Leroy Brown just called an said he's found a RC plane, It hit his girlfriend in the Disco and gave her a black eye, He just wants to make sure he gives it back to "the owner" and don't want any reward or anything!!! What a guy! I gave him you add,& phone # and job local ETC, he said he'd drop by with some friends, your bub, steve

birdDog
06-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Thats some pretty good hub-bub, bub;-)

birdDog
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
After 2.5 hours of feeding the mosquitos, I am writing it off. Full tall oak trees, 4 foot high grass in the swamp. I guess it is a learning experience:red:.
Maybe some kind soul will find it a call me.:rolleyes:

If you ever find yourself in the same position, drop the throttle. The airframe was less than 1/4 of the costs.

On a lighter note, my dx6 and ar6000 combo allowed me to control (if thats what you want to call it) the bird when it was justa speck in the distance! Nice range!

Steve, tell Mr. Leroy, that is what is known as a smart bomb.:D

Murocflyer
06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Rob,

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully someone will find it and call you soon.

Frank

PS Anyone around that can do some AP work?

birdDog
06-22-2008, 10:07 PM
AP is a great idea, unfortunately, no. I may try rigging a camera to my HZ supercub, however, that biplane was prettty far out. Probably in the swamp.

Spent a couple more hours searching to no avail.

Used to be a guy with an ultralight that hung out at the field. He had helped a few times before but he no longer comes around.

Got some heli stuff up on ebay and considering a Great Planes Ultimate bipe, they fly nice.

Sure hope this is my last thread in this forum!:roll:

gfdengine204
06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Rob,

Sorry to hear no joy on the search. Our fun fly had 1 major casualty, a Red Bull racer (not sure what kind, but I believe it was around a 35%'er) that had the fuse break just fore of the tail feathers. Went down and the thud was nasty. Between 2 buildings, thank God it hit no one and nothing except the gravel parking lot. Caught fire, and by the time we got there it was disintegrated. Was odd, seeing the charred outline of the wings and fuse in the gravel and dirt. Engine broken in 2, LiIon batteries still burning, fuse just gone.....

Sad, really.....

pd1
06-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Rob, Sorry to hear that.
I hate it when a plane flys away.

Paul

stevecooper
06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I do hope you find it my bub, I didn't mean to sound crass, and I've just been lucky so far myself, good luck find'in your Pitt's, your bub, steve
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mko/lowres/mkon60l.jpg

bbrc
07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Late reply to this thread, birddog. I lost a little HZ Scout on July 4th in a little patch of trees with lots of overgrowth to fight. Couldn't see the plane at first, but could hear the motor as I revved it right after the "landing."

It might encourage you to know that I went back and checked on it each day after I lost it, and it moved "down-tree" twice, making it easier to eventually get down. So if you keep going back, you might see it.

Also, BIG HELP to me was to take a pair of binoculars. I found the plane in the binos before I ever saw it without. 2 pieces of 12 foot electrical conduit (pvc) and a roll of duct tape did the trick. Tape them bad boys together and start poking the tree, and she'll come on down.

Don't give up! The plane will work its way down evenually. You just need to find it first, and then be there when it does.

Bob

birdDog
12-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Went by the flying field today on a fluke. Was in the area running some errands. 4 inches of crusted ice tundra. Of course, nobody there. Passing the garbage can (a good source of wire, control horns and more!) I see a wing sticking out. No kidding, My Plane! AFTER FIVE MONTHS!
Totally smashed and covered in mud. It looks to have gone down in the swamp. Somebody found it and walked it 4-500 yards to the parking lot!
AND I GOT TO IT FIRST!

All electronics included except for the Lipo (shucks).

Have salvaged one hs-65hb so far. Soaking the bearings since they rusted and I can't find 5x8x2mm bb's anywhere.

Axi 2820/10 has the bell, bearings and shaft rusted but I think I can replace the bearings and shaft and polish the rest up in a lathe.

Align 35A esc was pretty muddy but without the heat shrink (and mud) it looks pretty good, no corrision.

Spektrum ar6000 looks clean inside and rinsed out to look almost new.

Three hs-65hb's and one mg should be "OK" with a little grease and oil.

I will let them dry on the furnace for about a week.

Oh yeah, I also salvaged the tail wheel!

Christmas comes early!

I think I feel a big blue foamie coming on. ;-)

gfdengine204
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow Rob! That is amazing!

I hope you can salvage a ton out of her! Sounds like she protected her innards pretty well!