PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate TRex 450 Help Thread

jasmine2501
06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
OK - here's the goal here - to consolidate all the really great tips about this extremely popular helicopter all in one place. I will manage the thread, and if I can, continuously edit this post to include any good tips and questions that come in. Later today when/if I finish building the TRex, I'll go out and find some of the good threads about it already and post links here. The idea is that it's really hard to find things sometimes even with the search, because of various problems (bad subject lines, poor spelling, etc). These 'ultimate help threads' seem to work well on other forums and I want to try it here. We'll see where we end up.

I'll start -
Tip #1 - When installing the servos, it can be very hard to hold the mounting tab, servo, and screw in place while you tighten the screws - the little tabs will start turning and you'll get nowhere because you can't grab it with anything. Solution: glue the tabs to the servos with a TINY amount of CA and wait for it to set before screwing them in.

Tip #2 - Don't mount anything but the servos in a permanent way until you've figured out how to get it balanced.

Tip #3 - The frames of the TRex are made of RF-blocking materials, so you're going to want to make sure your receiver antennas can 'see' out in all directions. I had to put mine on the very bottom in order to accomplish that. Tape the antennas in place with some clear tape.

Tip #4 - Get yourself a good set of micro screwdrivers and hex wrenches - the ones that are included with the arf are just not comfortable to use - ball-link pliers are very helpful too. Also pick up a pitch gauge - useful on all CP helicopters.

Tip #5 - The ball links don't screw on easily - with a magnifying glass I could see that it's because of mold flashing on the edges of the hole. Use a new (sharp) phillips screwdriver and lightly twist it in the hole to remove the mold flashing, and the link will become possible to screw on. Somehow it is possible to get them cross-threaded and on there cockeyed, so be sure to check they are straight.

Tip #6 - Sign up for Helifreak.com and watch every last one of Finless Bob's setup videos, particularly the ones on CCPM Setup. Getting the geometry correct on your helicopter can make a huge difference.

Tip #7 - Be very careful to set the gear mesh correctly between the pinion and main gear. I found out today that having this too tight can cause a vibration which appears as though the blades are out of balance. I noticed that my motor was getting pretty hot, and this can also be caused by a tight gear mesh. When I fixed the problem, I also noticed that my vibration went away and she's smooth as silk now!

OK now - question number 1. Is it ok to have my tail control rod 'not straight' like in the photo? Is there some kind of trick to mounting the 3400G tail servo in order to get it straight? I mounted it exactly like in the pictures in the book, which show a 3400G mounted this way, but the control rod seems to be straight in their pictures?

Question number two - Is it pronounced "Tee-Rex" (like the dinosaur) or just "Trex" (As in "Star Trek")??? That has been driving me nuts - what's the official word on that?

HeliG
06-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Jasmine,
That bar looks BAD. Can you move the servo to the other side of the mounting bracket to get it closer to the tail boom? I think there may be different mounting hardware for the tail servo. Maybe you don't have the right stuff.

I've been calling it a "T-rex" but I've heard both.

As far as the ultimate thread, Finless Bob has beat you. HeliFreak has GREAT build vids for the T-rex 450SE V2. I love this site but HeliFreak really helped me out with building my heli.

jasmine2501
06-23-2008, 04:51 AM
As far as the ultimate thread, Finless Bob has beat you. HeliFreak has GREAT build vids for the T-rex 450SE V2. I love this site but HeliFreak really helped me out with building my heli.

I have posted on Runryder, but I can't stand all the ads. There are so many ads that it's hard to find the forums, and impossible to read the replys.

Can you post the link to the thread we already have - I'll close this one and point people to that. I couldn't find it in the search...

I did get the servo in a better spot, and just putting the final touches on everything. Gotta figure out where to stick the gyro and I'll be good to go - See the photo... do you think that's a good spot?

I'll be doing some custom decals for it, and I'll post how I did it. I at least want it to be pretty on the first flight :eek:

I'm amazed at the engineering on this thing - it is the most solidly built aircraft I've ever had. Well worth the price!

bassplayinDude
06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Finless Bob moved from RunRyder to www.helifreak.com some time ago. Go to helifreak.com , and register an account (needed to download Bob's videos, but not to read general forum posts). FB has his own forum there with all his videos.

HeliG
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
This takes you to Finless Bob's tech room... http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60
This goes directly to the T-rex 450 page... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373

BPD is correct. You have to register to download the vids. The price is free but the benefits are endless. Bob (Finless) walks you through building a complete heli. The vids really are great. I've downloaded all of them! AND don't forget to look through other threads of his. I've found other vids that were very beneficial as well.

Happy building and happy flying.

HeliG
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Jasmine,
I'd move things around a little. Battery goes on the top slope. ESC goes on the same level as you have it but up front. RX goes bottom shelf in the back (where you currently have your gyro). Gyro goes exactly where you have your RX.

I'm so excited for your and your new heli. Want to send it to me? I'll build it for you! :ws:

HeliG
06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Jasmine,
Don't kill this thread. There is still some very important info we could post to it. When I think of some of the stuff, I'll let you know. :Q But there are some small details for set up I've forgotten but it would be great to store that stuff here and have it benefit others (and ourselves when we've forgotten).

jasmine2501
06-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Jasmine,
I'd move things around a little. Battery goes on the top slope. ESC goes on the same level as you have it but up front. RX goes bottom shelf in the back (where you currently have your gyro). Gyro goes exactly where you have your RX.

I'm so excited for your and your new heli. Want to send it to me? I'll build it for you! :ws:

Well... I got the battery in the right place - only place. The ESC is bumped up against the motor, as pictured in the manual. The servo wires weren't long enough to put the receiver on the bottom, and the location where it is provides good antenna exposure. The gyro ended up on top of the tail boom, as pictured in the manual. I spun it all up last night and it sounds good and has no vibrations that I noticed. I got all the pitch curves and everything set right after much monkeying around with it. Still have to decorate the canopy and fins, but all that's left is to go fly - will be trying to hook up with a trainer at one of the clubs, but if it flies any better than the CP Pro, it should be good.

Another tip - when you get the motor going the right way, put heat shrink over the joints where the plugs go together, then they can be safely tied down to the metal frame. Without that insulation, you could risk a short. I do this on my planes too.

jasmine2501
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Here she is with custom decals. They came out a little light, but can easily be removed and changed. I may paint the canopy at some point, but this was easier. I scanned the decal sheet into my computer and simply changed the colors and printed it on label paper. Came out better than I expected actually.

HeliG
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
PINK? PINK? Are you serious? Helicopters shouldn't be PINK!!!

Just kidding. Actually, you did a good job. It did turn out well. ;-) Now, make it fly!

BoysToys
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
This takes you to Finless Bob's tech room... http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60 (http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
This goes directly to the T-rex 450 page... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373 (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373)

BPD is correct. You have to register to download the vids. The price is free but the benefits are endless. Bob (Finless) walks you through building a complete heli. The vids really are great. I've downloaded all of them! AND don't forget to look through other threads of his. I've found other vids that were very beneficial as well.

Happy building and happy flying.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/BBates/Thread%20Animation/iagree.gif Without the Finless videos I would have never got my first helicopter in the air. I built both my 450 & 500 by watching his videos and building at the same time.

I actually got to meet Finless Bob a few weeks ago at the Bakersfield Helicopter Fun Fly and was able to thank him in person.

The gyro ended up on top of the tail boom, as pictured in the manual.

This is not a good place for the gyro. It will fly fine like that but the T-Rex 450 is notorious for killing gyros that are mounted on top of the tail boom block. The gyros can get taken out by the flybar paddles in a crash. This can turn a $20 crash into a $150 dollar crash.:blah: I am not saying that this will happen to you with your gyro mounted on top but simply that it has happened to many people.

I have my electronics mounted in these locations. ESC-under the battery tray, Gyro-Under the tail boom block, receiver-on the bottom plate. Here are a couple of recent picks of my 450 setup. Truthfully, my 450 has not been flown much at all since I built a T-Rex 500cf last December. Come to think of it, neither of my helis have been flown much since I built my 3D Hobby Shop Extra 300 SHP.

I hope these pics help.

jasmine2501
06-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I won't be flying till this weekend, so I'll try to move things around. Expensive gyros are not something I want to kill. I wanted to put it on the bottom but I couldn't get the servo wires to reach far enough to fit the reciever anywhere else. JR wires were kinda short - but if I add extensions I'm going to have way too much wire hanging around. I'll play around with it and see if I can get it. Otherwise I'll just be real careful :)

Pink and Green is now the official "Jazzy's Flight Deck" color scheme (photo is aircraft #1 to have that scheme). Did you notice I put the web address on the helicopter :)

HeliG
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I missed the website. kinda small on the pic. cool though. back in the 80's I was really into pastels. ::o

Extensions are the way to go. Once stuff is in place, use small zip ties and you'll keep stuff out of the way and keep a clean look.

The electronics layout the way I suggested is recommended by Finless.

jasmine2501
06-25-2008, 12:26 AM
I'll have to take a look at it. I think I can put the gyro on the bottom without actually moving anything else - and now I remember why I didn't do that. It's because it makes the adjustments on the top of the gyro impossible to reach. I have been watching the Finless Bob videos and I really like them - that is exactly what I'm going for in my how-to videos.

GANJAR
06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Heya Jasmine, you live in Lakewood? I live in Denver! That's pretty neat, what hobby shop do you use for your T-Rex? The only one ive found that stays open late enough for me is Colpar Hobbies on the north end of hwy 285 and Wadsworth, 7pm on weekdays and open Sat and Sunday. gots to go for now, damn work, but i'll get back at you. I also am building a trex this very moment. 450 se v2

jasmine2501
06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Heya Jasmine, you live in Lakewood? I live in Denver! That's pretty neat, what hobby shop do you use for your T-Rex? The only one ive found that stays open late enough for me is Colpar Hobbies on the north end of hwy 285 and Wadsworth, 7pm on weekdays and open Sat and Sunday. gots to go for now, damn work, but i'll get back at you. I also am building a trex this very moment. 450 se v2

Yes, I work near the Marston Reservoir, so I like to go to Colpar. On the weekends there's a really smart guy who knows helis pretty well. He has a mullet - can't miss him. One day I went in there and he completely took apart my CP Pro and replace a few parts for me that I couldn't get to come loose - badly bent main shafts are like that. That is good service, so even though they over-charged me a bit once, I still like to go there. For planes, you want Thompson Hobbies though - Jerry is THE source for electric plane stuff. If he doesn't carry an item, he can usually get it within a week.

Some of us from RCGroups are having an informal Fly-in at Cherry Creek this weekend. If you want more info, PM me. I usually fly at the Arvada club since it's closer to my house, but there's a guy named Nate (I think) who goes to Cherry Creek and he's a sponsored heli pilot, so I want him to look over my TRex and help me with the first flight. Plus the last time we got together out there it was really a lot of fun. Another person will be bringing their TRex too, so it should be fun time heli madness out there :)

GANJAR
06-27-2008, 07:24 PM
LOL, i know that guy, he sold me training gear last weekend, first time i had saw him though. Sorry for not getting back till now, stupid work.

My T-Rex is still under construction , i jsut gotta mount the head and install radio gear, ive been getting hours in on the simulator though. Hopefully if i sit down after work and do nothing but work on it, i can have it flying by sunday, however this is what i said last 2 sundays lol. I'd like to go with you guys if i im able to , but the only day i have off is sunday. I won't know for sure till tommorow if i will have some time to go , gotta see about mechanic and girlfreind crap first lol. I know where cherry creek and chatfield flying fields are, but i wasnt aware of arvada. That sounds hella closer to me then either of those two, so that is great news. I'll have to google it to find the location i guess.

Anyway i will get back at you for your advice and stuff, hopefully my heli will be in flying shape by sunday, but if not, then we definately have to have a fly in next weekend or whenever. I'll be at colpar this weekend with my heli, i might just pay those guys to install the rest of the stuff for me lol. Also looking into a blade cx for fun and g4....I hate going into that place with money lol. I originally went in for a blade cx, and came out 1100$ later with a 450 se v2 and everything to boot.

RyuuChi
06-27-2008, 07:54 PM
....I hate going into that place with money lol. I originally went in for a blade cx, and came out 1100$ later with a 450 se v2 and everything to boot.

I know the feeling. i can't even go to my hobby shop unless i actually need something, because there's almost no way i'm leaving empty handed, just empty wallet'ed...haha...darn... :p>

jasmine2501
06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
LOL, i know that guy, he sold me training gear last weekend, first time i had saw him though. Sorry for not getting back till now, stupid work.

My T-Rex is still under construction , i jsut gotta mount the head and install radio gear, ive been getting hours in on the simulator though. Hopefully if i sit down after work and do nothing but work on it, i can have it flying by sunday, however this is what i said last 2 sundays lol. I'd like to go with you guys if i im able to , but the only day i have off is sunday. I won't know for sure till tommorow if i will have some time to go , gotta see about mechanic and girlfreind crap first lol. I know where cherry creek and chatfield flying fields are, but i wasnt aware of arvada. That sounds hella closer to me then either of those two, so that is great news. I'll have to google it to find the location i guess.

Anyway i will get back at you for your advice and stuff, hopefully my heli will be in flying shape by sunday, but if not, then we definately have to have a fly in next weekend or whenever. I'll be at colpar this weekend with my heli, i might just pay those guys to install the rest of the stuff for me lol. Also looking into a blade cx for fun and g4....I hate going into that place with money lol. I originally went in for a blade cx, and came out 1100$ later with a 450 se v2 and everything to boot.

There may be a change of plans... I will send you my number in case you can come out Saturday - I may be going to Arvada that day, because I just found out there is a pylon racing clinic, and if I can get my Hummer fixed tonight, I think I might have to go out and win a pylon race - she's definitely the fastest plane I've seen around here.

RyuuChi
06-29-2008, 05:58 AM
hey guys, just sold my blade400 airframe to Alpha_&_Omega and got a Trex450! Just gotta build it all and install my bec, hs 65mg's, gy401, s9257 and ar6100, then do setup stuff. I'm totally psyched about the new heli!!!

just one question(to start), there are several assemblies in the box that are pre-assembled, should i tear them down and apply locktite, or are they pre-locktited from the factory?

HeliG
06-29-2008, 06:13 AM
gaak, congrats on moving up! I've heard that not all of the screws are loctited at the factory. Any that are metal to metal, I would redo but if you didn't know, DON"T loctite into plastic. It softens the plastic and reduces the life of the part.

Best of luck.
G.

RyuuChi
06-29-2008, 06:38 AM
thanks man, i thought that about locktite, but i had no confirmation that it was true. i totally can't wait to get that bird flying!

jasmine2501
06-29-2008, 06:45 AM
thanks man, i thought that about locktite, but i had no confirmation that it was true. i totally can't wait to get that bird flying!
On mine, the main top frame joiner had Loctite on it already, which was frustrating because the first step in assembly is to remove that so you can get the servos in. I did not check the other screws, but I did tighten them all down, and most of them were already very tight. The 8 screws that hold the tail down should probably not be glued down on your first few flights, because you will be needing to adjust the belt tension as it breaks in. Read the manual carefully at last once before starting assembly, plan your layout of parts before actually doing anything, and when you're done, read through the manual again to make sure you didn't forget anything. It is a good thing I keep Loctite around anyway, because the bottle that was in the kit had come open and dried out.

HeliG
06-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Blue loctite! I asked when I was building mine. Don't bother with the stuff included. Blue loctite is all you need.

RyuuChi
06-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Blue loctite! I asked when I was building mine. Don't bother with the stuff included. Blue loctite is all you need.

yeah, the guy at my LHS said that the included threadlock was junk, and i should use the blue 242 locktite instead.

jasmine2501
06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Dude... you are going to be so happy with it... I still do not believe this maiden flight... Thank god for friends to hold a camera or you wouldn't believe it either :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaAkt0VL2U

On a side note, I did figure out why the CP Pro won't hover for crap - and I fixed the problem. You have to put the throttle curve so that it goes up really high right away, so that the head speed is faster in the hover, and you're flying with pitch changes more than throttle changes. Thanks to Finless Bob for that little tip :)

HeliG
06-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Jasmine,
Nice work! The maiden flight looked good. My first flight consisted of hovering (or attempting) only. I had to chuckle with your step back early in the video. I've done that a few times as I thought "Holy crap that thing would hurt". I've actually heard that the 450 has sliced a few people wide open. I'm confident that contact in the wrong place would be deadly. Anyway, I really like the striping on your canopy too. Very subtle. I just might have to go with a stock white to do something like that.

You did great. A few more flights and you'll be losing the training wheels! Keep it up. I think you are pushing me so I need to get more flight time in!

Figure.N9ne
06-29-2008, 11:54 PM
nice flying jasmine! i noticed in the start of the video you mentioned that you were trimming it though. if properly setup, the heli should require 0 trim adjustment. any trim you use now, will make the problem twice as bad once you start doing inverted flight. i recommend you get a swash leveling tool like this one http://www.hobbyshopworld.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=469&bc=no
the heli will never need any trim and will save you a ton of setup time. the only time you should ever use trim, is subtrim to make sure your servo arms are at 90* before setting up the head.

jasmine2501
06-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, yes... ideally you shouldn't need to trim, but when the helicopter is rolling at center stick, there isn't much else you can do at the moment. Now that I know what was needed, I'll mechanically adjust things in those directions. It didn't seem to throw anything off though - it got much better. I went out today and found a helicopter expert to look it over and it turns out my blade tracking was a bit off. That's really hard to see - I could tell it was off in the brighter sun today, but I had to have my friend tell me which blade was high. We adjusted it and he made some other suggestions too. Over time, I'll get it dialed in perfectly, as I have always done with my planes. But you can't really do that without flying it, so that's what I did :)

I am really enjoying it. After some minor adjustments today I was able to hover out a whole battery with no problems in some pretty gusty wind. I'll take the training gear off eventually, and that may be why I had to trim the collective - the training balls put it a bit off balance I think.

And yes, you have to respect these things. I'm new so maybe I shouldn't be flying so close, but this helicopter is so much more stable than the CP Pro - I think it's fine. I nearly hit myself in the head with the CP Pro and had to duck under it, which of course caused me to lose track of it for a minute and I crashed - but that's better than a carbon fiber blade to the head :)

RyuuChi
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Thats awesome, I'm totally psyched to build mine, but torn as to what frame to use. i mentioned it in another thread, but my lhs guy threw in a microheli advanced ccpm carbon fiber/billet frame, but i got the se v2 edition of the Trex, so it's all billet and CF anyhow.... any thoughts?

Figure.N9ne
06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
oh another thing that i dont think has been mentioned yet. the belt pulley in the tail housing is notorious for shredding belts. most people either remove it or replace it with one from an mx400.

jasmine2501
07-01-2008, 12:11 AM
oh another thing that i dont think has been mentioned yet. the belt pulley in the tail housing is notorious for shredding belts. most people either remove it or replace it with one from an mx400.
Is it because people don't watch the belt tension or is it because of some defect in the manufacturing?

One cool thing I saw yesterday was an upgrade for putting the tail onto a shaft drive, which I'm not sure is available on the 450, but would be cool if it is. I've got 3 flights on her now and I did notice the belt is a bit looser than it was, but if I keep it adjusted correctly as they say in the manual, it should be fine for a good long while.

Figure.N9ne
07-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Is it because people don't watch the belt tension or is it because of some defect in the manufacturing?

One cool thing I saw yesterday was an upgrade for putting the tail onto a shaft drive, which I'm not sure is available on the 450, but would be cool if it is. I've got 3 flights on her now and I did notice the belt is a bit looser than it was, but if I keep it adjusted correctly as they say in the manual, it should be fine for a good long while.

it has more to do with the angle of the tail housing. if its not perfectly set at 90*s it leads to belt shredding. from all my searching i've seen tons of shredded belts with the pulley installed, i havent see anyone shred a belt without it though and most run without the pulley. its cheap insurance.

shaft drives or torque tubes are very cool, and really improve tail authority but on 450 size heli's the size of the gears make them very easy to damage thats why most companies dont make shaft drives in the 450 size. when i build a trex 500 i will definitely upgrade to the torque tube.

HeliG
07-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Sigh! I love my heli but I want a bigger one too!

jasmine2501
07-01-2008, 02:03 AM
OH... are you talking about the tensioner pulley at the tail end? I've seen those shred belts on cars when they aren't right. What happens is it can be off-angle and then as the belt feeds into the next gear at high speed, it goes in cockeyed and that causes uneven wear, which eventually causes a break.

RyuuChi
07-01-2008, 04:58 AM
should i just leave this pulley out when i do my build then? I'm sooooo excited to build my trex, just gotta find the freakin time....

jasmine2501
07-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Well you gotta have something to maintain the belt tension, right? Otherwise I would think it's going to slip. The gear ratio is 4 to 1 on that, and by all accounts the head speed is 3000 rpm, so that would make the tail moving at about 12000rpm... and that belt is going to jump around at that speed if it's loose...

Or am I confused?

HeliG
07-01-2008, 07:02 AM
You can leave it out. I wasn't so convinced when I built mine but I heard that taking it out was the best thing to do. Now that I'm flying regularly without it, I am convinced. No problems, no shredding, only good flying. Just make sure your tension is adequate. Especially with a new belt - you need to check and adjust it often until it stops stretching.

jasmine2501
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah I've pushed it back once after 3 flights. This is the only aircraft I'm really keeping track of the flights. I put a piece of writable tape on the inside of the canopy and I just make a tick mark when I start a new battery. I had noticed there are some instructions in the manual that say to do certain things after certain numbers of flights, and of course I check over the head and swash visually before each flight. Don't really do that with my planes...

Figure.N9ne
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
you won't have any tension problems without it. Just adjust the belt tension as you normally would and you'll be fine. I fly about 15 packs per day so I lube up the bearings and spray my belt daily.

jasmine2501
07-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Spray the belt? With what? I put a little Tri-Flow on the moving parts, but that would totally mess up a belt, wouldn't it?

Figure.N9ne
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Spray the belt? With what? I put a little Tri-Flow on the moving parts, but that would totally mess up a belt, wouldn't it?

i use a silicone spray i found in my shed. some people on heli freak you use some food grade silicone spray or something. the door hinge stuff i've been using has been fine for me though.

BoysToys
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
i use a silicone spray i found in my shed. some people on heli freak you use some food grade silicone spray or something. the door hinge stuff i've been using has been fine for me though.

I use a little silicone shock oil left over from my rc truck days.

Lymph
07-02-2008, 01:06 AM
you would want to use a dry silicon spray, shock oil would collect dust not to mention make a mess when it spins up.

The silicon spray has been reccomended in a few posts ive read.

(havent used it myself as im still waiting on my blade 400 (since feb....) but thats what im going to use after doing some research.)

BoysToys
07-02-2008, 01:17 AM
you would want to use a dry silicon spray, shock oil would collect dust not to mention make a mess when it spins up.

Neither of these happen on my helicopters.

I just put the oil on a Qtip, place the Qtip on the belt and spin the rotor head until the entire belt is coated. Only takes a light coat to do the trick.

jasmine2501
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Neither of these happen on my helicopters.

I just put the oil on a Qtip, place the Qtip on the belt and spin the rotor head until the entire belt is coated. Only takes a light coat to do the trick.
On the toothy side I assume?

BoysToys
07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Neither side right now. I actually only lube the smooth side of the belt. I never lubed my belt at all until I had my T-Rex 500 go down in January due to a static discharge, caused by the belt, that made my AR6200 reset about 30' up in the air. That was on the 3rd flight of my new 500 and it was pretty ugly.

Anyway 450 went down hard today while practicing inverted circuits. It got too far out and I totally lost my orientation and it crashed pretty hard. Becuase I am not any good at inverted yet I had a cheap set of woodies and my thrasher canopy on. Looks like the usual; main blades, main shaft, flybar, feathering shaft, main gear, tail boom, tail blades, vertical stabilizer, and of all things I bent my tail pitch slider. I have all the needed parts except for the tail pitch slider so it will be a few days before the 450 is back in the air.

jasmine2501
07-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Ouch dude... sorry to hear that. I'm afraid to turn mine upside-down. Pretty good at inverted on the simulator though. I have no idea how to tell when I'm ready to try that for real though... I guess if I try it and I biff it, then I'll know I'm not ready :D

BoysToys
07-02-2008, 04:44 AM
No big deal really. The 450 is my beater heli that I learn on. I have only had my 500 upside down to loop and roll. No inverted on it until I have it mastered on the 450. The only bummer is that I have to wait for parts. The pitch slider is $21 :mad:. The same exact part for my 500 is only $14 go figure.:confused: I found a complete tail assembly with blades and a belt on ebay for $45 shipped so I think I am going to go that route.

So I guess I will lay off the helis while I wait for parts and fly my planes instead. My 3D Hobby Shop Extra 300 shp is almost as much fun as my helicopters anyway.

jasmine2501
07-04-2008, 03:35 AM
So, in my quest to eliminate all vibrations, I decide to try some carbon fiber blades... they are the Align brand. On one of them there is a small nick on the end of the blade... should I return them?

Figure.N9ne
07-04-2008, 04:08 AM
depends on where the ding is, and if it seems critical to the part. if its just a cosmetic thing, then it comes down to if you're willing to wait for new ones.

small dings will happen from just flying anyway. bugs hitting the blades, when you fold the blades back, the blade grips make little dents on the bottom of the blades. if it doesnt seem like its something that will cause the blade to come apart, i'd keep it. also, dont forget to balance them.

RyuuChi
07-04-2008, 05:02 AM
umm, not to thread jack too much, but i built my trex450 se v2 airframe today! totally psyched to get all the electronics in and see what it can do!!!!!

edit: do you guys think it's worthwhile to put my castle creations bec in? i'm not seeing anyone else having done this at all...

jasmine2501
07-04-2008, 05:19 AM
It's not a jack dude... this is the Ultimate Help Thread :)

The chip on the blade is just on the outer corner of the trailing edge. I like my stuff to be perfect, at least when I just bought it - I think I'll take it back and get the Curtis Youngblood blades. There's no waiting - my LHS has tons of TRex parts. I've got replacement parts for most of the head in my flight box already, just in case - feathering shafts, ball links and balls.

I've been going through Finless Bob's "CCPM Setup" videos, and I can see what was going on with my heli now and why I had to trim it. I had adjusted the travel on one servo for some reason, so as I increased the pitch, the plate was tilting :eek:

Got it all fixed now, but I gotta set up all my curves again - I'm getting some binding at extreme throws and I have that issue with the low servo running into the main gear - hopefully the video will tell me how to fix that. It's pretty easy to see when you've got the plate fairly level, but I might get a leveling tool just for kicks.

Figure.N9ne
07-04-2008, 05:25 AM
the only times i ever see people using a bec on the 450 is when they run 4s. on a 3s battery the stock align esc is fine.

jasmine2501
07-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Hmmm... ok now I'm confused. Here's what I've got and I'm not sure how to fix it...

Swash is level with the pitch output at 50%
Both blades are at 0 pitch with the pitch output at 50%
When I increase (or decrease) the pitch to maximum, I have 10.5 degrees on one blade, but only about 9 on the other blade!?

How do I adjust that? The last time I flew this heli, I had an expert adjust the blade tracking in a hover, and I could see them come into the same plane, so I know they are right in a hover... what is going on? Is it possible that one of the blades is warped, and my pitch gauge is reading funny? Could that be the reason the tracking was off?

RyuuChi
07-04-2008, 07:44 PM
does the swashplate stay level throughout the travel? is it possible that one servo is moving a different distance than the other two?

I also saw in one of finless bob's videos that if you have a servo in too tight they can bind a little and one may be slower than the others...

jasmine2501
07-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah the plate stays level all the way up and down. I'm pretty sure one of the blades is warped. The pitch difference is the same as I spin the blades around - doesn't matter which way it's facing, one is always more pitch than the other - always the same one.

Luckily, my LHS is open till 5 today, so I'm off to get some ball link pliers (tired of breaking my nails) and see if they can take a look at it...

jasmine2501
07-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Mmmmkay... that'll be the last time I have a "heli expert" adjust my helicopter. To his credit, he did improve the tracking, but he made it so one of the linkages was way longer than the other one, and one of the ball links was on backwards ("A" to the inside") so I replaced it, set the two linkages to the same length, re-adjusted the 'short' links on top, and now there is maybe half a degree of difference in the blade pitch at the extremes. That's probably due to the blades being a bit funky, but it should be good enough for most flying, don't you think?

jasmine2501
07-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Gear mesh!!!

Apparently if it's too tight, it can cause a vibration which looks as if the blades are out of balance. I noticed that my motor was getting hot, so decided to check the gear mesh, and sure enough, it was too tight. We're talking micro-meters of difference here. I can't even see the difference, but I could feel it by turning the gear with my thumb. I went ahead and added that as a tip on the first post here.

Hopefully the 'gusty winds' predicted for tomorrow don't affect my flying! I think she's ready for a flip, loop, roll... maybe :D

I did successfully destroy my CP Pro today... that thing sucks horribly - of course, if you don't fly a Trex you have no way of knowing that.

Balil
07-06-2008, 01:32 AM
haha cp pros do suck because of the tail motor..... im eventually going to put mine into the hdx300 frame for a belt driven tail.

Figure.N9ne
07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
make sure that when you check the gear mesh on the trex that you check it at various points around the gear. the main gear isnt perfectly round.

jasmine2501
07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
make sure that when you check the gear mesh on the trex that you check it at various points around the gear. the main gear isnt perfectly round.
Yeah that's what I did. I noticed it was tight in two spots directly across from each other - the gear must be egg-shaped.

Funny thing is - I have heard the 'uneven gear sound' before - I should have recognized it right away. It is running so much smoother now. If we could just get some decent weather I might be able to fly :(

Figure.N9ne
07-06-2008, 07:58 PM
i need to repair mine some time today. a tic toc turned into a tail slide into the ground :( which somehow didnt mangle the boom. trashed my align cf blades though which hurts

jasmine2501
07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Ouch dude... sorry to hear that. I've done that sooo many times on the sim :)

My tic-tocs on there never work out if I do more than a few in a row.

RyuuChi
07-07-2008, 05:26 AM
hey, what process do you use to set your gear mesh? I'm coming up to the point with my trex where i should be flying it by next weekend and i gotta make sure everything is perfect. thanks!

jasmine2501
07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
hey, what process do you use to set your gear mesh? I'm coming up to the point with my trex where i should be flying it by next weekend and i gotta make sure everything is perfect. thanks!
There's a video on Helifreak - basically I put it to the tightest spot on the gear and backed it off just a hair from there. You should be able to feel it by rotating the gear. Getting the pinion at the right height is key. Then you move the motor around from there. I am talking about unbelievably small movements here - the last thing you want is to back it off too far, then you risk stripping the gear. Final check is to spin it up and listen to the sound - you should not be hearing a 'chug-chug' sound - it should sound smooth. Now that I've got it correct, the bird flies much better, sounds much better, and the motor and battery were much cooler after flying out a whole pack in idle-up mode.

Figure.N9ne
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
i use the sheet of paper method and it works great. cut a little strip of standard printer paper, slide it between the pinion and spur. press the pinion into the spur. turn the spur to remove the paper and you're done. the paper should be wrinkled but not torn.

BoysToys
07-08-2008, 12:41 AM
i use the sheet of paper method and it works great. cut a little strip of standard printer paper, slide it between the pinion and spur. press the pinion into the spur. turn the spur to remove the paper and you're done. the paper should be wrinkled but not torn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/BBates/Thread%20Animation/iagree.gif This is the method I use as well.

Grimsleeper
07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Isn't it supposed to be 80gsm paper folded double?
Feed it through. Push motor in and tighten then feed paper out ????

300Maniac
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
The old standard is silver paper from a cigarette packet. It's thin and flexable. You only need a clearance (no binding). Gear teeth are shaped to keep that clearance as they rotate. Infact they are cut on a rotating hobbing machine.

Figure.N9ne
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Isn't it supposed to be 80gsm paper folded double?
Feed it through. Push motor in and tighten then feed paper out ????

could be, but i use the standard computer paper and it works great for me and everyone i fly with.

jasmine2501
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
The old standard is silver paper from a cigarette packet. It's thin and flexable. You only need a clearance (no binding). Gear teeth are shaped to keep that clearance as they rotate. Infact they are cut on a rotating hobbing machine.

The foil paper used in cigarette packs these days is extremely variable. Even within the same brand - it is super low quality, which is fitting considering what it contains :)

I like the 80gsm idea - that is at least a standard. I've got it pretty good now, but will probably try this just for kicks.

300Maniac
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
One layer of 80gsm is .004 inch about twice as much as needed. Align gears are not molded so not round and flexable under load anyway so you can't get a correct setting really. They are a cheap part on a good heli. I've change to Microheli gears and tail drive shaft. Round they are and they don't bend to the darkside Luke.

jasmine2501
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Things were looking good for a while there. It is amazing how they can suddenly go bad. Please take a look at this:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36706

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

RyuuChi
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
jasmine, i'm sorry to hear about your situation. funny thing is, i just recently had a situation very similar with my, my cat and my lack of savings... only thing i could do was open a new credit card, and i'm still recovering from it. believe me, i feel for your situation and i wish i was in a position to help you, cuz i know how much it sucks.

jasmine2501
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
jasmine, i'm sorry to hear about your situation. funny thing is, i just recently had a situation very similar with my, my cat and my lack of savings... only thing i could do was open a new credit card, and i'm still recovering from it. believe me, i feel for your situation and i wish i was in a position to help you, cuz i know how much it sucks.

That might be what I have to do. They are talking like $2500 to fix this... I can't really believe that, but you know, many years ago, they would told me to... well... you know.

RyuuChi
07-10-2008, 01:09 AM
That might be what I have to do. They are talking like $2500 to fix this... I can't really believe that, but you know, many years ago, they would told me to... well... you know.

yeah, they told me too... we're such great listeners...lol...

oh, and side note, My trex flies! just had it outside hovering!

jasmine2501
07-10-2008, 04:18 AM
yeah, they told me too... we're such great listeners...lol...

oh, and side note, My trex flies! just had it outside hovering!

Yay! Aren't they cool :)

And on a side note... my slope glider flies! I had to get out and clear my head, and hiking all over a mountain is a good way to do it. I think I landed (crashed) in every possible spot on the hill - but I learned something new, and I'm really, really tired now... so maybe I can get some sleep.

RyuuChi
07-10-2008, 04:23 AM
yes maam!! i love my little T-rex!

GANJAR
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Here is a retarded newbie question for our "Ultimate Trex 450 Help Thread", how do i power my receiver? Do i have to buy a seperate battery for it, or would there be a power lead coming from battery or speed controller or something like that? I dont see any spare leads coming from anything that would match the 3 prong setup on my spektrum ar6100 receiver.

Was puzzled by it last night, all i gotta do know is a little soldering, little programming, and then i should be ready for maiden flight maybe today ! If i figure out how to power my receiver lolz.

SkunkyMagoo
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Your speed controller into the THRO (throttle) channel will power your RX. You can also add an external BEC and run power directly from your battery to the RX.

GANJAR
07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Sweet! Thanks you very much, i love forums like this. You can learn to do anything with helpful and friendly forums such as this.

jasmine2501
07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Sweet! Thanks you very much, i love forums like this. You can learn to do anything with helpful and friendly forums such as this.

The signal wire from the ESC will power the receiver... on a helicopter it is still pretty much the same as in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CV5LAz4yKQ

GANJAR
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice thank you very much! Ive been busy on the heli the past day and a half. You know the kit was supposed to be 3 hours assembly, and 2 hours radio equipment, but actually learning how to do all this stuff took forever. Swash plate settings, gyro settings, radio settings, servo horn placement, working a pitch gauge, ect ect ect, took a lil while lol.

I also managed to burn out a tail servo, but i think im gonna lift off today hopefully, just gotta dial in gyro settings and program esc. I'll prolly go over the head and measure the pitch one more time, then i'll see what she can do lol. Any other things i should check before first lift off?

BoysToys
07-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Any other things i should check before first lift off?

Double check your gyro/tail servo to make sure everything is moving the right way. You don't want to spool it up and have it start an uncontrollable piroette. Check all of the links in your head and make sure they are secure. If one pops off you are heading for the dirt hard. Check your balance/cg. Lift up the heli by the flybar and see if it balances at the mainshaft. If not move your battery forward or backward until it does.

Then take it outside, say a quick prayer:D, spool it up, and have fun!

GANJAR
07-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Woohoo, well I watched over all the finless videos at least twice and looked and learned about my heli, but ended up dropping it off at the LHS lol anyhow. Better safe than sorry i'd say, but i did know everything the guy was talking about though from watching finless all day.

I also found out why my servo burnt out, i had it in digital mode, and it was an analog servo. I figured it was a digital servo, but i guess i was wrong. The hobby shop guy let me know this, but i already knew it would happen thx to finless.

Hopefully if they can get the heli looked at today, i should be flying by end of day. They said they would get it dialed in for me and hovering nicely.

jasmine2501
07-18-2008, 09:12 PM
GANJAR (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=22294) - Always at least double the amount of assembly time listed on the box.

Also, my advice is to not just blindly trust what the LHS does to your chopper - always check it over yourself, particularly when some adjustment has been made. See back in this thread where I had a blade tracking problem and adjustments made by someone else fixed the blade tracking but caused a different issue.

My policy on that now is: when people ask me to help with something, I'm happy to go as far as flying their aircraft for them and making suggestions about how to adjust things - but I don't expect them to just do what I said - I expect them to question it, ask me why, understand the problem, and then do what they think is necessary whether it's to take my advice or not. Build it and fly it the way you want - but understand why, or you're just stabbing in the dark.

So, if they make any changes for you, make sure you understand why. The Finless Bob videos are good, but should be taken as advice - not the Word of God.

SkunkyMagoo
07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with Jasmine. If you had set it up yourself you would know exactly what does what, and make adjustments from your initial setup. Dropping it off at the LHS will set you back further IMO because you have no idea exactly what they did...and in some cases they do things "their" way, which is not necessarily the correct way.

Anyways like she says, make sure you know exactly what they did and why they did it before you take it home.

Good luck, have fun.

jasmine2501
07-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I get the impression that he tried to set it up and got most of the way done and made a minor mistake resulting in costly broken parts, and now just wants to be sure someone else looks it over so that doesn't happen again. I prefer folks like that, and if I thought he was talking about having someone build the thing for him completely, I wouldn't have bothered to say anything about trying to learn things for yourself :)

GANJAR
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Well damn lol, im extremely disapointed with the guys at colpar. I gave them my bird on friday early morning right when they opened, and i might not even get it back today, maybe monday. How long could a few servos and CPPM take to set up? Ive been wanting to fly all weekend and i know how to do everything i sent it in for now, kinda feel stupid for doin it. Seems like it might of even been fun cause computers and specs are my thing hehe, i love to fine tune . Oh well, hopefully this after i can try my first flight, but kinda windy in denver here today.

jasmine2501
07-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Well damn lol, im extremely disapointed with the guys at colpar. I gave them my bird on friday early morning right when they opened, and i might not even get it back today, maybe monday. How long could a few servos and CPPM take to set up? Ive been wanting to fly all weekend and i know how to do everything i sent it in for now, kinda feel stupid for doin it. Seems like it might of even been fun cause computers and specs are my thing hehe, i love to fine tune . Oh well, hopefully this after i can try my first flight, but kinda windy in denver here today.

Actually, the guys at Colpar are pretty busy fixing cars and helicopters. I think I saw them working on yours when I went by on Friday. I did not realize you were local though. You should bring your heli out to the Arvada club sometime and I'll help you with it. I spent most of the afternoon yesterday doing that for someone else who took their V2 to RC Hobbies in Littleton, and they had the radio all set up wrong. It is kind of a slope glider day today, but I did fly some planes and my Blade 400 before it really kicked up with the wind.

Seriously - bring your helicopter to the club field, or send me a PM - we'll get together to fly and I'll look over your bird and we'll get it dialed in.

GANJAR
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice, i will if i ever see it again lol. I guess he started remounting servos friday morning, and they been busy since or something. I cannot wait to fly it lol, must gotten at least 12 hours of simulator between yesterday and today.

I'll prolly order a couple zippy lipos today too.

GANJAR
07-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Well i called up Colpar Hobbies, asked about my tail servo, they told me it might not be till Wednesday till i could get it back : (

So i asked if i could get the heli back, and they were more than happy to give it to me and only charge me 20 bucks to set up the majority of it. All i had to do was purchase a servo , install it on the rudder and i was good to go. So i decided to spool her up.

After being a chicken and just making the heli light on it's feet a few times i lifted off. I got about 1 foot in the air and it was spinning and no trim would fix it. So i checked her out, and one of the screws on the tail servo had come undone and it was making it act funny. So i screwed it back on, tried again and still had a spin to it. Then i figured out i was not in head holding mode lol . After than i spun her up again, and to my suprise she went up and held steady like a rock for about 5 seconds then drifted off, i got scared and brought her down. So far ive hovered no longer than 5 seconds, gave some weeds a chop,broke some training gear, and put a little chip in one of my blades, but it's been fun. No to get back out there lol. I am sure there are some fine ajustments to make

jasmine2501
07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Nice, i will if i ever see it again lol. I guess he started remounting servos friday morning, and they been busy since or something. I cannot wait to fly it lol, must gotten at least 12 hours of simulator between yesterday and today.

I'll prolly order a couple zippy lipos today too.
Are you talking about the store on Wadsworth? There are a couple good guys there, but yeah, they are slammed on the weekend. They are right near my office, so I go in there when I know what I want, but otherwise I don't because they are usually too busy to help. I went in Friday around noon and your heli was sitting on the counter and the guy was working on it. I gave it a good look just to see the difference between mine - so I've had my hands on your bird already - could have been a different one I suppose. Don't see too many of those in there getting worked on.

If you work near there, the park I fly at sometimes is also near there. I'd be happy to meet you for lunch or something.

GANJAR
07-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Yah the one on wadsworth by the bridge. Looks like i'll be heading there tommorow morning, out a pair a tail blades and hopefully thats it. What parts should i stock up on? This hobby seems expensive lol, but so far fun and a little frightening.

What time is ur lunch, I am busy most days around noon, but location is not a problem for me as im pretty center of denver. I'd also like to try the rex somewhere else, my gear get caught up on my grass and make it want to tip over.

Well i think i have your number , gonna run. German shepard goin crazy and i think someone just tried to open our door. So i ran outside with a knife and shepard looking for someone destroy, but no one there, maybe just heli is making me crazy lol.

jasmine2501
07-21-2008, 05:29 AM
I have some nice training balls I can show you how to make them... I have spare golf balls I can give you for that - you just need a carbon fiber rod and some wire. I'm the senior programmer so I can pretty much take a lunch whenever I want :)

Parts that I just have sitting in the box are: main blades, feathering shafts, a whole set of ball links and wires for them, and Tri-Flow which I use before each flight. When I crashed the Blade 400 - the feathering shaft was hosed, along with the main shaft and landing gear, and two stripped servos, and the main blades. That's a pretty typical crash - but you won't be crashing the Trex... it flies too good :)

GANJAR
07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Sweet, that would be much appreciated. I went to colpar and got 3 pairs of blades for 4 buck each then found them on ebay for 2.33 for 3 pairs lol ! Also got some more blades and was gonna get some feathering shafts, but they didnt have any. So i went home and repaird my bird and got her goin again.

It seems yesterday i had stage fright or something, cause today i was holding hovers in wind pretty steady and for like a minute at a time. It almost seemed like it was flying itself for a lil bit. SIMULATORS WORK! The fun was cut short though cause i noticed my dampers were gone to hell, so i called the hobby shops and looked for some with no avail anywhere in area. So im out some dampers, but i hovered her about half a pack without them rock steady, my best hovering yet lol. Will it be ok to run a few pack threw her with no dampers till they get here in mail>:?

I will send you a pm later, im free tomoroww i think for flying, jsut got another battery pack to, so im ready for some hovering .

BoysToys
07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
i noticed my dampers were gone to hell, so i called the hobby shops and looked for some with no avail anywhere in area.

I did not have any luck at all with the stock dampers on my T-Rex 450. They only lasted about 15 flights before they failed and started coming out of the head block. I switched to the Red True Blood dampers over a year ago never looked back.

http://www.readyheli.com/TREX_V2_Head_Dampener_Upgrade_Red_Dampers_by_Tru_p/dampeners2.htm

Will it be ok to run a few pack threw her with no dampers till they get here in mail>:?

No you can't run it without any dampers. Your feathering shaft would bounce all around in the headblock. If you only run one on each side you will not have enough damping and your blades will not track correctly.

If you are flying a T-Rex 450se V2, and go it new, you should have received a few extra dampers with your kit. Check your leftover parts bag and see if you have any in there.

HeliG
07-22-2008, 12:32 AM
We're talking about the rubber o-rings right? Mine are falling apart but Rex still flies well. I should look at replacing them though. Does True Blood make metal ones too?

jasmine2501
07-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Hehe... I musta got the last of the feathering shafts - if you really need a new one I've got two. I'm wondering how it's possible for your dampeners to be shot already? They should last 30-40 flights according to Align - so that means they should at least be good for 20 flights :)

BoysToys
07-22-2008, 02:23 AM
We're talking about the rubber o-rings right? Mine are falling apart but Rex still flies well. I should look at replacing them though. Does True Blood make metal ones too?

Yes the rubber 0-rings that the feathering shaft goes through. Once they start falling apart you will have a hard time keeping your blades in track. I had very bad luck with the Align dampers. I got 20 flights at most out a set in my Rex.

You don't want metal dampers. You need something so your feathering shaft can move around a little in the headblock. Think of the forces that are being applied to your feathering shaft via your main blades. The TruBlood dampers are much stiffer and your cyclic will feel crisper with them installed. They also last much longer.

Have fun!

GANJAR
07-22-2008, 04:02 AM
If you are flying a T-Rex 450se V2, and go it new, you should have received a few extra dampers with your kit. Check your leftover parts bag and see if you have any in there.

http://www.o--rly.com/owl_orly.png
http://www.twilightwarhq.com/gallery/files/1/o_rly_by_granty2_original.jpg

I will have to check that out my good sir!

SkunkyMagoo
07-22-2008, 04:30 AM
One thing I have noticed since getting into harder flying is that the bell crank starts to get sloppy, not really sure why the V2 tail is all CNC but comes with a weak bell crank. Anywho I just ordered the microheli aluminum bell crank in V2 blue :D

GANJAR
07-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Woot, I looked, and indeed the kit did come with 4 extra(just enought)!! I'll slap those suckers on tommorow and get some more hovering time in. I believe i will head to the park this time though. I ate up some blades with the vegitation in my yard and grass, i think when it hit some bush the other day, my dampers mighta gave out. There are also concrete sidewalks everywhere that the tail blades want to get near lol, already gave 1 of 3 new pairs tail blades a buzz cut(they still holding steady though although they have been buzzed down).

Anyway i will order some more today along with some main shafts and other things i think will be hard to get in the hobby shop. I tried out action hobbies on colfax today to find it was a pretty neat place too. Not as cozy feeling as colpar or friendly almost, but i found the social atmosphere cool. I met 1 trex flier that also owned a 450 and we chatted for like 10 mins about the bird and flying, servos to use , what breaks in crashes, metal gear vs resin gear servos. I also met another dude that had a raptor 30 and he was giving me some tips about learning, i musta been in there about 30 mins after buying just BS'ing. Pretty neat happening spot for a monday around 10:30, learned alot of new things.

I guess when you order online you dont get experience like the hobby shop, but 4 bucks for a pair of tail rotors vs 2.33$ for 3 pairs of tail rotors hurts too.

GANJAR
07-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Forgot to ask, but i didnt think of it till now. I was at my other than usual hobby shop today and they sold me this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRVZ7 - I know the EVO lite will fit in trex 2500 mah, but it has less bust C then the EVO25, and it's lighter. Mine is the big one with 25c , but should i return it? Or is this a good battery for rex?

jasmine2501
07-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Forgot to ask, but i didnt think of it till now. I was at my other than usual hobby shop today and they sold me this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRVZ7 - I know the EVO lite will fit in trex 2500 mah, but it has less bust C then the EVO25, and it's lighter. Mine is the big one with 25c , but should i return it? Or is this a good battery for rex?

Hehe... I just got one of those today too - charging it right now. Should be fine for the Trex and the Blade 400. It's a tiny bit beefier than the Thunder Power Extremes I've been using, and they work fine.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
hey, not to change the topic at all, but has anyone else had trouble with the new align 2100mah, 22c 3s1p pack? mine's been used once and is completely DOA...

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I think EVERYONE has had problems with Align packs !!!

Kong power or Outrage FTW.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 06:40 PM
so, is align doing anything about it, or are we all just s.o.l. on the align packs?

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 06:49 PM
I am pretty sure you can send them off to Assurance (USA distributor for Align) to get replaced.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 06:52 PM
hmmmm, i think i'm gonna talk to my LHS guy about that... cuz i only ran the pack 1 time so i'm annoyed as crap!!

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Yea see if they will replace it first, if not call Assurance.

Assurance R/C USA
3626 Briggeman Dr.
Los Alamitos, Ca 90720
Tel 562 598-4700 Fax 562 598-4702
Email: sales@alignrcusa.com

Please contact Frank at 562-598-4700 ext18 or via email frank@alignrcusa.com for return instructions.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Excellent info man!! thanks!

BoysToys
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
hey, not to change the topic at all, but has anyone else had trouble with the new align 2100mah, 22c 3s1p pack? mine's been used once and is completely DOA...

IMO, Align packs are JUNK! My stock Align 22c pack puffed on me after about 7 cycles. I contacted AssuranceRC and talked directly with Frank. Since I still had my receipt showing that the pack was only a week old, I was able to get a replacement. I sent in my puffed pack and got a new Align pack in the mail about two weeks later.

I never even opened the new pack up. I sold it on ebay and used the money to buy myself a Flight Power Evo25 3s 2170 pack.

All of my current packs for my 450 are about a year old now and getting pretty tired, so I am in the market for a few new packs. I bought 4 Zippy-H 3s 30-40c 2100 packs two weeks ago and they work well. However, they make my heli pretty nose heavy. I would just trim it out but I am practicing inverted hovering/ff and need to have the heli balanced better. So I am now using the Zippy packs in my 3D Hobby Shop Extra 300 plank.

Kong power or Outrage FTW.

I have been hearing good things about the Outrage packs lately. I may pick up a couple for my 450 and at least one more 6s for my 500 so I can give them a try.

jasmine2501
07-23-2008, 07:25 PM
With planes maybe this is ok, but really, with helicopters, quit being cheap. These aircraft are quality machines and deserve quality batteries.

Thunder Power Extreme V2 - but then, you knew I would say that :D

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah, i definatly believe in having the best toys, cuz they last longer and perform better. i'm just aghast at the fact that align, maker of some of the best heli's available, would put out such a piece of junk for a battery pack to go with it...

by the way, jasmine, how's your pup doin? haven't heard anything lately, everything cool?

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I have been hearing good things about the Outrage packs lately. I may pick up a couple for my 450 and at least one more 6s for my 500 so I can give them a try.

Yea dude when I get my Scorpion I am going to get some of the 30C packs. $60, and the 25C are $50. REAL good batts.

Stock with the 25C you can see like a 200-300 rpm jump in headspeed.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
dah? scorpion? call me a newb, but pic/description?

BoysToys
07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
With planes maybe this is ok, but really, with helicopters, quit being cheap. These aircraft are quality machines and deserve quality batteries.

If I was cheap, I would not be flying helicopters. I just don't like throwing my money away on expensive lipos only to have them die on me just like the inexpensive no name packs.

I have seen some graphs over on Helifreak that show the less expensive Outrage packs out performing the more expensive FP and TP packs. Granted, the Outrage packs are new and only time will tell how well they hold up over time.

I am not bashing TP, but I have not had good luck with any of the 4 Thunder Power Packs that I have owned. Granted none of them have been the "new" V2 but they have all gotten a little puffy and lost their punch well before 100 cycles. I now have 2 TP 3s 1320 and 2 TP 3s 2070 packs that are relegated to my Slow Stick.

I have had the best luck with Flight Power Evo25 packs. I have owned 7 FP Evo25. I am currently have 3 2170s for my 450 and 2 6s 2500s for my 500. I have never had an FP pack puff on me. The two Evo packs that I had go bad eventually just started loosing voltage under load. Kind of scary to get up in a hover only to have your headspeed & helicopter start dropping rapidly. Flight Power was good about 1 and replaced it outright. On the second, I did not have a receipt and was out of luck.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
dah? scorpion? call me a newb, but pic/description?

Ill be getting the -8

http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_405&products_id=6439

A guy over on HF is running the -6 (4400kv) on his, looks pretty sick too...nutty power.

But I am going with the -8 and an 11T pinion.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
ahhhh, how do you think it compares to the align 430xl that came with my trex? cuz that motor certainly feels powerful as heck.

Figure.N9ne
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM

depending on your setup that battery might make your bird nose heavy. if it was me, i'd swap it out for the evo25 2170 mah, i think you'll be much happier with it, lighter flies better.

jasmine2501
07-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Strange how different people have different results with the same things... what I like about the Thunder Power is that I've puffed them up once or twice and had them go back to normal - they seem to be a little tolerant of that. One of them (Pro-Lite 900) that has way over 100 flights on it is starting to get out of balance, and I've puffed it up a few times, but it always seems to deliver just about the same as it always has.

My dog is doing better - he was in the doc's office last week and everything is healing nicely. He's not in a great mood lately though and he lost a half a pound and looks kinda skinny, but I think that's because I was out of town and he wasn't eating well - he seems to be fairly ravenous lately :)

Thanks for asking :)

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
ahhhh, how do you think it compares to the align 430xl that came with my trex? cuz that motor certainly feels powerful as heck.

Not sure on that, never ran one. A local guy to me has scorpions on ALL his 450's. Not sure if he is running the -6 or not.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
hmmm, interesting. a&o and i just installed a 430xl on his b400 with the align esc to match, and i gotta say, it's waaaay powerful on that plastic head. but he's movin to the sev2 head and tail soon as well anyhow...

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Should do that now lol. What pinion is he running?

The scorpion handles more watts and amps than the 430XL. Other than that I cant make any comparisons.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
i think he's running the 12 tooth pinion that was left over after my build. pretty sure i used the 11 tooth from the kit.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Dayum his head speed must be up there! Is he flying idle up?

Figure.N9ne
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM

i fly 25c zippys and 20c loong maxes both in 1800 mah. i have 7 total some with well over 100 cycles, and all with over 50 cycles, not one has lost any punch, none have puffed and all still perform like day 1, for 20-25 bucks a battery its the best deal around. all of this on an align xl motor and 13t pinion and i fly with terrible collective management so the batterys get a work out. i also have a pair of kong power's but dont fly them much because they're too heavy compared to the zippys. when i pick up a 500 or 600 i'll also fly them on zippys.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
no, we're still working out the kinks of trying to fly it on governor mode actually. the tail wag is really gettin annoying to try to figure out what's going on.

Figure.N9ne
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
no, we're still working out the kinks of trying to fly it on governor mode actually. the tail wag is really gettin annoying to try to figure out what's going on.

if its an align esc, youre just going to end up very annoyed. align governor mode is garbage. if you want an esc with a governor that actually works, get a kontronics jazz

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Yea I am not running gov on my align ESC either.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
that's funny, it seems to work just fine on my trex... every now and again i get a slight tail wag (about an inch to an inch and a half) when i'm just hovering, but it's not enough to disrupt my hover, and it goes away the moment i enter forward flight. it's just a total nightmare on the b400 with the plastic head and tail, i think.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I dont even see the need. Setup your throttle and pitch curves, you dont need a gov.

I just got my tach, I cant wait to dial in my head speed. Currently I am running 90% T curve all the way across.

Joy of E flight :D

Figure.N9ne
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
that's funny, it seems to work just fine on my trex... every now and again i get a slight tail wag (about an inch to an inch and a half) when i'm just hovering, but it's not enough to disrupt my hover, and it goes away the moment i enter forward flight. it's just a total nightmare on the b400 with the plastic head and tail, i think.

how hard are you flying? the heli might not have much to govern yet. when you start bogging the head with a lot of maneuvers is when you start seeing the major problems.

jasmine2501
07-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Bob White says governor mode is useless... he could be wrong about that. It could be affected by the specific helicopter, and as you said, the style of flying. I am not sure how Finless Bob actually flies - he's got tons of videos about how to build these things, but I've never seen his skillz ?

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Bob White says governor mode is useless... he could be wrong about that. It could be affected by the specific helicopter, and as you said, the style of flying. I am not sure how Finless Bob actually flies - he's got tons of videos about how to build these things, but I've never seen his skillz ?

Oh he flies for sure. At a park and also a sanctioned field all about 15min from me.

A gov is mainly for nitro and gassers I have gathered. An electric motor can only spin so fast, set your throttle curve to give you the headspeed your heli can handle and run with it. Everyone I have talked to about it says it is not needed. I like flat throttle curves. More efficient for th emotor and ESC to operate, my ESC and motor come down COOL after a 5 min flight.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
gaak, check it.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=82112

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
check out finless's test flight for the trex 700. he really rips it up there. that guy can fly pretty darn well i'd say...

I dont fly that hard yet, so maybe that's why i'm not having any problems with governor mode. however, my lhs guy flys in that mode and he's pretty good (seen him fly) and i haven't seen any issues from him over it... but hey, i'm new to the whole concept, and i may not notice him compensating for something, somhow.

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
gaak, check it.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=82112

that's awesome, but it looks like it really cuts down on flight times, huh? personally, i'm trying to find a nice balance between flight time and power.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Yea, they are also flying HARD 3D. So flying that way will limit your flight anyways. I think FF, flips, rolls, etc you should get 5min out of a 2200 pack.

I'm running the -8 13T 100-95-90-95-100 w/ Kong bats (2200mAh); doing FF and acro I can get 6-7min flight time leaving 3.5-3.6 per cell (I put back about 1650mAh).

RyuuChi
07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
not bad, not bad, i guess it can be worthwhile for the boost in power.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
See you actually have a fairly powerful motor, my 420H is pretty weak when you start to throw it around. I would like a lot more vertical punch...

jasmine2501
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I'll have to time what I'm getting out my packs. They are usually at about 10.5 volts when I notice a drop in head speed and land it. I'm flying pretty much in idle-up all the time now. I've got a flat 100% on the Trex and the stock curve on the Blade 400 - I think it's 100-85-100 -something like that.

SkunkyMagoo
07-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Dang...

I usually dont fly mine past 11.4-5. You should go flat on your blade as well, dont want to over work that CRAP esc they have......:mad:

jasmine2501
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
check out finless's test flight for the trex 700. he really rips it up there. that guy can fly pretty darn well i'd say...

Hehe... I can do that... not :)

He's got some skillz - and I guess that is a test flight too.

GANJAR
07-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Wow what a day. So i was flying last night in the park and the rex started kinda acting funny, spin slowly and kinda acting not steady. Upon one of the landings, i got some training gear snagged and a blade hit the dirt. It stripped my servo and also destroyed it, it locked up afterwards. So i got another servo this morning, JR DS285 digital nylon servo at 35 bucks, i get home install it, and try to test it. Bird starts into a spin and tips over again destoying the servo i got done paying almost 40$ for in tax in 30 seconds. I tried to see if it was still good andit got really hot and started smoking. So ive destroyed almost 80 dollars worth of servos in 24 hours. I am about ready to quit the hobby when i calmed down and went back to the hobby shop, I brought my bird in and the guy at action hobbies looked it over for a long time, even broke into one of his unopened motors to get me anothr motor mount screw for one that i lost free of charge.

So I start chatting with the guy about servos and such, and he said JR little servos are complete crap and shouldnt be allowed to sell them. I was kinda shocked, but from my experience they are crap at 40 bucks a pop. He then showed me the HS-65HB servo which he said was faster and heavy duty, so i bought 2 carbonite geared one and 1 metal cause thats all he had ( gonna upgrade them all to metl soon) to replace my cycilic servos. I went over head again, ajust links, lined up horns, checked pitch and tried to hover her in windy conditions. She seemed steadier but need alot of trimming, but at least she was hovering again kinda. So just now i got done going over her, found a few more links that needed ajusting, fine tuned the pitch a little more and im hoping in the morning she will be back to the way she was when i first got her from the hobby shop. Im new at all this so any suggestions lol? I also learned expo on rudder is bad lol, i took it off and it stpped spinning so much. The guy at the shop said my feathering shaft and main shaft looked ok, the blades got some knicks in them , but nothing horrible, i got replacements to give a try and see if it corrects it. Im not sure what to try next if this fine tuning doesnt get her back to normal.

SkunkyMagoo
07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
The DS285 come in metal gear as well....

jasmine2501
07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
If you are free on Saturday I would suggest coming out to the Arvada club and have me take a look at it. Mine runs perfectly with the JR servos... we have been doing some mad heli flying out there on the weekends lately. The guy from Action Hobbies is a member and he's a really nice guy, has great service, and is really helpful, but to be totally honest, I think sometimes he's not exactly correct about things... I have never seen him fly except one time with a Parkzone Vapor, and he could barely control it.

Seriously, let me take a look at it - it can't possibly hurt. There's another helicopter nut out there too who can usually answer anything I'm not sure about - and if it gets really desperate, you can always go to Cherry Creek and look for Nate... but then, he's the one who messed up my collective while fixing the tracking. I think he gets bugged a lot about people's helicopters and it seemed like he really just wanted to get me to go away.

It sounds like you've got a gyro acting up, or something wrong with the tail. Every time something goes wrong with these things, you really have to check the whole bird from tip to tail and reset everything that isn't right. If you give me a few minutes to fly here and there, I'd be happy to take the hour or so that it takes to go over the whole dang thing.

GANJAR
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Yah the conversion kit is likefrom like 18 to 25 dollars, and from what i hear still strips cause it has 1 plastic gear in it still. I dont mind buying 3 dollar gear repair packs, but i cant stand replacing the servo every crash. Even if i have to now, which i shouldnt cause karbonite and metal are way stronger thay nylon, they are still like 24 dollars and hobby shop and even less online. I think the metal gear ds285's are like 55 bucks ouch! I just wanted to get away from such an expensive fragile servo.

jasmine2501
07-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I don't think they are fragile... you've got something else going on. It could be any of a hundred things... and guys at hobby shops... well, they really just want to sell you something. I don't want to sell you anything dude - I just love to see people get up in the air and flying right. And I really hate to hear that people are having frustrations that are completely unnecessary. I'm not offering to fix your helicopter - I'm offering to show you what's going on with it and explain things in detail, so you can fly on your own and know what to do when things get weird. Last week I did this for another guy and it took a lot of time and I ended up only getting two flights in that day, but I would say it was a very good day, because my buddy Marlon got his helicopter flying much better - I love that. There's 3 or 4 Trex 450's out there - one of us will be able to get it right.

GANJAR
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice, where do u guys fly, i really need to get out in more open space with my heli. I love watching other people fly to though , and just bein around models in general lol. Ive got a little time off work, hence why im up so late hehe, so im pretty free. I want to try these new servos out too, and i guess i got 2 spair tail servos now that are digital. All in all though, if i try not to think of the $$$$ ive spent on it, im loving it.

jasmine2501
07-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh sorry... we're out at the Arvada Modelers Club field... usually on the West field where the runway is a bit softer. I usually go out on Saturday and Sunday unless it's raining. It can sometimes be windy, but that just means we get to sit in the shade and shoot the breeze and work on helicopters or whatever. I usually bring a few electric planes and both helicopters, and there is usually something new and interesting to see. On the other field folks bring their big gassers, and there's a control-line circle and car track too. You're 'officially' supposed to have AMA membership, but it's a very open and welcoming place so we can fudge that a bit if you don't.

It is off Hwy 93 on the same road as the Pioneer Sand & Gravel company.
http://www.arvadamodelers.com/

And yeah, just don't think about the money... although it is a shame to spend money that you might not have to, the hobby can be a big money pit in general and helicopters are fairly pricey - mostly because you can't really fix anything - you're always just replacing the parts with new ones. That's why helicopters always look new :)

RyuuChi
07-25-2008, 02:32 AM
honestly, i've put my 65mg's through a tree and several other hard crashes with no ill effect... and there probally should have been from what i've done to them. i have to speak very highly of them, just don't put too much pressure on the casings or they'll fry, that's all.

oh, and i was out flying today, and about halfway through my first pack i noticed that i had lost tail authority and it was making a funny sound, so i landed it pretty promptly only to figure out that i had shredded the tail drive belt... grrrrr, 12 bucks, but at least i didn't crash. on my reassembly i decided to take other's advice and leave off the tensioner pulley. so we'll see how that goes.

GANJAR
07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Lol that sucks, I was messing with my heli all day today, and for the life me couldnt figure out why it wouldnt stop spinning counter clockwise. I measured the pitch several times and had alot of trouble getting it right for some reason. The guy at the hobby shop said everything looked good the day before...So i redid links, reset up the gyro, messed with tail servo and rotors and everyitng else. So I called Colpar at 6:00 when they close at 7, and asked if i could bring my heli down there for them to look at, they of course said yes. I talked to Jeff, the dude that you saw working on my heli, and he was nice as always and started looking at my heli. He found several things wrong with it lol. One of my paddle bars fins was off, my tail rotor had no authority at all cause the little nut or collar that connects to the rod taht spins was totally looks, so it was just kinda catching a little bit. That is why i have been spinning that past 2 days. He also found that my main shaft was bent, after the guy at the other hobby shop looked it over for about 30 mins and said it looked good. In fact i specifically heard him tell me my main shaft looked good. So i chatted a little more and got some main shafts and went on my way.

When i got home , i fixed tail, installed main shaft and went to setup swash plate and im finding im binding when in full pos pitch. The washout thing at top with the 2 pins on each side is mashing up on it when stick is full high. Do i need to make linkages shorter from servos? Can i use subtrim, or is maybe my mainshaft upside down. I noticed the main shaft has a grove in it, are u supposed to put the grove close the the top or bottom cause it's on one side of shaft more than the other, not in middle of it. I also cant figure out high to get a higher pitch, I keep getting like 6 or 7 max pitch and like negative 6 or 7 pitch. Is there anyway to make max pitch higher and low pitch higher too, like shifting the whole spectrum up 2 or 3 pitch? My pitch curve is already starting at 50 so i thought it would solver that. Am i missing something?

SkunkyMagoo
07-25-2008, 06:11 AM
honestly, i've put my 65mg's through a tree and several other hard crashes with no ill effect... and there probally should have been from what i've done to them. i have to speak very highly of them, just don't put too much pressure on the casings or they'll fry, that's all.

oh, and i was out flying today, and about halfway through my first pack i noticed that i had lost tail authority and it was making a funny sound, so i landed it pretty promptly only to figure out that i had shredded the tail drive belt... grrrrr, 12 bucks, but at least i didn't crash. on my reassembly i decided to take other's advice and leave off the tensioner pulley. so we'll see how that goes.

What belt are you using? The align belt is JUNK.

RyuuChi
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm using the align belts, actually. what do you reccomend?

SkunkyMagoo
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Maverick or a Tech belt. Gates is good too, I was told that the blade 400 is actually a gates belt. Most of the 450 guys are running the mav or tech.

Also if you have not removed your tension pully do it now, or swap it out for one with a lip. The stock one will tear the crap out of a belt.

Scroll down you will see the tech belts, the yellow super duty is nice. I plan on ordering some, I have one gates belt left.

http://techmodelproducts.com/trex_450_parts.php

http://www.readyheli.com/Mavrikk_Drive_Belt_397T_High_Strength_p/mvht1003.htm
http://www.readyheli.com/HMXE9711_Heli_Max_Guide_Pulley_MX400_Trex_450_p/hmxe9711.htm

GANJAR
07-26-2008, 02:39 AM
Well today i finished off repairs on my Trex 450 se v2 and also purchased a cell balancer and voltameter. I heard bad things about lipos goin wrong and fear a fire, so i invested for saftey. Im learning so much so fast about this hobby, i feel like i need a beer. Something new and vital everyday i was goofing up on lol.

Well i got her up in the air on this pretty windy day in denver in some grass and the wind was throwing her around a lot a bit and i brought her down, but at least she hovered finally!!!!!!!! Like she did when i brought her home from the hobby shop, except this time it was all me. The installing and setting up new cycilic servos, replaceing main shaft, setting pitch and measuring it, the whole radio process. It was a good feeling. Then i wacked a weed and slightly, maybe not even(too little to tell), mighta have tweeked another main shaft, but i had 2 extra so i replaced it in about 10 mins : ) got her up again. This time it was even windier and throwing her around alot , so i took it in. Im pretty sure if i ever get to test the hover out in calm wind, i can trim her out nicely.

jasmine2501
07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
When i got home , i fixed tail, installed main shaft and went to setup swash plate and im finding im binding when in full pos pitch. The washout thing at top with the 2 pins on each side is mashing up on it when stick is full high. Do i need to make linkages shorter from servos? Can i use subtrim, or is maybe my mainshaft upside down. I noticed the main shaft has a grove in it, are u supposed to put the grove close the the top or bottom cause it's on one side of shaft more than the other, not in middle of it. I also cant figure out high to get a higher pitch, I keep getting like 6 or 7 max pitch and like negative 6 or 7 pitch. Is there anyway to make max pitch higher and low pitch higher too, like shifting the whole spectrum up 2 or 3 pitch? My pitch curve is already starting at 50 so i thought it would solver that. Am i missing something?

Yeah something is not set up right in your radio or on the helicopter itself. Not sure what without looking at it, but you should be able to get +/- 11 degrees or more. In order to reduce the total travel, do not use different holes on the horns, you'll want to adjust the swash settings in the radio.

I went flying today out at the club and the weather was awesome... but it did get wicked windy around 3:30 so we all went to lunch :)

Come on out tomorrow around 10 or 11 and we'll take a look at it and maybe shoot some video for folks to look at if we can't figure it out. Should be a nice day, but wicked hot again. I try to be there by 10 when the wind is still calm. It tends to get a bit windy around noon most days, then I'll pull out the planes :)

GANJAR
07-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Are you talking about cherry creek one? Tommorow at 10 i gotta go to the dragon boat festival at sloans lake, gonna be some good food, but i promised my girlfriend i'd go. I can go afterwards, and prolly will cause i want to join ama after i can hover and learn how to. I might be able to swing by for a while but ive kinda got a busy day tommmorow. I think if i time it right i might possibly be able to get out there by 1 for like an hour, then i gotta head back to denver to take care of a few other things. Hopefully trex fliers will be out there. I will let u know if i know anything for sure in the morning.

jasmine2501
07-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Are you talking about cherry creek one? Tommorow at 10 i gotta go to the dragon boat festival at sloans lake, gonna be some good food, but i promised my girlfriend i'd go. I can go afterwards, and prolly will cause i want to join ama after i can hover and learn how to. I might be able to swing by for a while but ive kinda got a busy day tommmorow. I think if i time it right i might possibly be able to get out there by 1 for like an hour, then i gotta head back to denver to take care of a few other things. Hopefully trex fliers will be out there. I will let u know if i know anything for sure in the morning.

No I fly at the Arvada Club. Should be a lot closer to Sloans for you. AMA does memberships in calendar years, so you might as well join now... the park-flyer membership is fine - but if you come by we'll just not mention it... by the club rules it's actually fine if you have a member assisting you, and there's a grace period if you have AMA, where you don't have to join the club, but can fly for a couple months to see if you like it. I volunteered on so many work days last year the president told me I didn't have to join until this year - they like me and I'm a courteous flyer and they need young blood, so he gave me a pass. Like I said, we're very welcoming and friendly, which is why I chose this club instead of another one - fits my personality much better than the Chatfield club, where TBH the people can be kind of... well... "old farty" for lack of a better word.

GANJAR
07-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Nice, i think that is the one i meant. The one towards boulder i was thinking. Ive got 3 battery packs freshly cell balanced and charged ready to test my heli out and get her tweaked to where she flys nice. I just got a cell balancer and voltometer today and been playing with them alot lol. Also saw a lipo battery for a dx7, that looks awsome, weeks with 1 charge.

jasmine2501
07-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Nice, i think that is the one i meant. The one towards boulder i was thinking. Ive got 3 battery packs freshly cell balanced and charged ready to test my heli out and get her tweaked to where she flys nice. I just got a cell balancer and voltometer today and been playing with them alot lol. Also saw a lipo battery for a dx7, that looks awsome, weeks with 1 charge.

I would like more information about that. I have to charge my DX7 every day. I had thought of putting Lipo in it, but I am not sure about the voltage - a 2-cell wouldn't be enough, but a 3-cell might be too much. I know a friend uses Lipos in his Futaba radio, but not sure about that in the Spektrum. Easy to put a radio plug on a lipo though - not sure how much extra time you'd really get though. My Spektrum has a 1500 mAh battery, and you might be able to fit a 2100 in the battery compartment, but that's only 30% more capacity.

Here's the link to the club - there's a map on there somewhere - it's off Hwy 93 on the Pioneer Sand and Gravel company road.
http://www.arvadamodelers.com/

gene465
07-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Heya all! Been flying my Trex 450SE/SA for about 6 mos on my DX6i and I have never had a problem with it until today. Maybe one of you can help, I just got back from the flying field early this morning, flew my airplanes before the wind picked up and also to warm up a little bit, I find it relaxes me before I start on the Helos. I got four packs between two of my helos with some limited figure eights. I went to fly my last two packs and something strange happened. Somehow my model memory wiped on me not all of my models just three that I was flying! 2 helos and my Sea Fury airplane. It was not till I got home until I realized this had happened. When I went to start my SE it did not want to arm and when I went out of the Throttle cut mode it wanted to spin even with the stick all the way down. My Voltage on the radio never dipped below 5.4V . With my SA when it did arm it wanted to tip over to the left and broke one blade tip. The rudder was backwards as well. Any who after trying several things I gave up trying to figure it out, even the more experienced guys at the field could not figure it out other than it not arming and going into the monitoring and seeing that my throttle was up a few clicks zero really weird! After getting home and looking through my models I discovered three of which were zeroed out so all my set-up tweaking was gone my idle up, throttle/pitch curve set back to a new model but all the other models were still in the radio with all the adjustments on them. Going to have to contact Horizon and see what's up. Wish I would have wrote down all my settings for each model to put them back in! I know better now. Anyone with the DX6i experienced anything like this? Luckily today only cost me a total of 3 blades, 1 stripped servo so not too bad. And that was not even in flight! Anywho appreciate the help, thanks Gene

GANJAR
07-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Those Lipo packs are made by flightpower specifically for the DX7 and othr radies, but the most popular pack they make for tx is the one for the DX7. As for price, im not positive about it, but ive heard of people goin 3 weeks on a charge. Today my cat knocked off my dx7 from teh table and it broke a switch off and bent another, damn cat! Nothing to keep me from gettin in the air, but my dx7 is no longer pretty.

Im sorry i could not make it to feild today, had to unpack some boxes from our storage unit as we are trying to clear it out by end of month. I am gonna be up there hopefully soon though, that location seems better than chatfeild to get to.

Gene, i know the feeling of lifting off and not know what the helis gonna do. Im new to helis too and for the past 3 days my helis been off trim or spinning. Today i finally got her to the closest ive been for a nice hover, finally got trims and pitch right too. Hopefuly it will be a crash free day, but i have not experienced anything like you described before, i wold call horizon.

gene465
07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Ganjar, it was all trimmed out and I had been hovering and doing mild FF with them in the morning flew 4 battery packs just fine and then bam radio went a bit crazy! Could not have been either helo as they were both doing the same thing, and then my settings all zeroed out on the 3 models I was flying this morning, just weird! My other 5 models in the memory are all fine. Gene

RyuuChi
07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
is it possible that your Tx got turned on in a bag or in your gear box or something and was messed with just from stuff being jostled around? cuz unless your TX just sh*t the bed, it seems odd that something like that could occur without some outside force acting on the Tx. If there's no possibility of some outside force doing something to your radio, i would write down the settings that you do still have and send it back to horizon for evaluation, or at least, get a new Tx. cuz there's no way i'd be trusting something finicky with my $1100 Trex...

jasmine2501
07-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Ganjar, it was all trimmed out and I had been hovering and doing mild FF with them in the morning flew 4 battery packs just fine and then bam radio went a bit crazy! Could not have been either helo as they were both doing the same thing, and then my settings all zeroed out on the 3 models I was flying this morning, just weird! My other 5 models in the memory are all fine. Gene

There's another thread around here somewhere, maybe on 'the other' forum, where a guy had the same problem. He only had one model in memory, the DX6i that came with his Blade 400 - he sent it in to Horizon to be fixed. You might search for that - I can't find it. Low voltage would not cause that problem - it uses the type of memory that doesn't need power to stay set. We used to call it bubble memory - flash maybe? Anyway, low power shouldn't cause that.

jasmine2501
07-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Thought you guys might like this - I'm super proud of myself :D

Not a Trex, but I might be more confident to try this with my Trex now that I know I can do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHgLt-U0L8

RyuuChi
07-27-2008, 06:10 PM
that's awesome, jasmine!!

GANJAR
07-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Nice! I heard you talking about that the ohter day in the hobby shop. That was funny meeting at the hobby shop the other day. I didnt make it out to arvade sunday, but im gonna try to go check the place out tommorow and see what i can do this weekend. Nice flying, i flew today in the windiest conditions yet, got about 4 battery packs flown in it. Was some good experience outside of simulator wind lol.

jasmine2501
07-29-2008, 04:50 AM
Yeah - today wasn't a good day to go flying :)

Sunday there was lots of gusty wind out at the club - it scared away most of the slimers, but I flew my Brio for a bit. There was a guy out there building a new Trex, but he didn't bring his radio. Not sure what that was about - I was going to help him set it up, but without the radio, you can't really do that.

I went in to Action today and picked up a new canopy for my Trex for $10... gonna try some Monokote trim material and see if I can get that nice bright pink and green I love so much :)

Tomorrow night after work I might go out to the club if it's not windy. If it's windy, there won't be anyone out there. I'll PM you my number though, cuz the nights when there's nobody there, well, I have the gate code, and flying when you're the only one there is kinda nice. Thursday nights are training nights for the gassers, so usually there's some people out there then. And on the weekend, the regular crowd shows up no matter what the weather is like unless it's raining - if it's too windy to fly, we sit around in the shade and mess with helis or just shoot the breeze. Before noon is the best time - this is true in almost any area - the air is calmest in the morning.

GANJAR
07-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Nice, i enjoy watching the gassers fly hehe. I'm going to go check that place out tommorow, place sounds fancy with a gate code and all lol.

jasmine2501
08-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Just in case you forget, and for the benefit of others, these are the things I noticed on your helicopter.

Imbalanced training gear is going to make it fly kinda funny - pick up some CF and I'll give you the rest of the parts you need for some solid training balls like the ones I showed you.

Blade grips were way too tight - they should be a little loose like mine were. People say if you turn the heli on the side and shake it a bit, they should fall, bu they should stay up until you shake it.

Wild wires need to be tacked down with the zip ties. I would hate to see some moving part "eat" one of the wires - you'd be going down for sure if that happened.

Throttle hold should be set up in your radio, so you don't have a surprise startup.

Gyro is ok with it upside-down like that, but it does make it hard to see if it activated correctly.

I'm not sure why you are getting the tail drift. We'll have to go through the radio and make sure the sub-trims on the rudder are set to zero, and then we'll have to fly it a few times to make sure the gain is set right. If you put the gyro gain down below 50% and you have the rudder trim set to zero, the pitch slider should be centered. If not, that might be causing the drift.

On my Blade 400, I need to re-bind the receiver with the throttle hold activated, and the pitch set to a little negative. In the case of a fail-safe activation (lock-out), this should allow the helicopter to begin an autorotation. I think this would be helpful in the case of a lock-out. I would like to know what other people think about that setting. At the very least it would prevent the accidental startup that I had.

Sorry we didn't get to fly a bit more, but you can see that it's a lot safer place to fly than an area bounded by trees and other tall objects, and the nice, flat and level heli pads are good places to launch - the pads near the runway are level too. I don't know if you noticed the guy just kind of sitting in his car watching us - he's the club safety steward, and he makes me kinda nervous. He knows you're not a member, but I think if he cared, he probably would have said something. I'm not an 'official' club trainer, but you are fine as a guest if you had the AMA membership. If you don't have that, you're supposed to be buddy-boxed with one of the trainers... but I have been allowed, even asked, to train people before, so I don't know how important that rule really is.

GANJAR
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Yah i was kinda wondering who those dudes were sitting on the tables were. I got a little fix in last night before bed, i hovered her under a street light for about 2 minutes last night and went in cause i realized it was ridiculous and the sun would be out in about 7 more hours lol. I cant help it, im addicted lol.

This morning i ran about 2 pack threw my bird, first one i forgot about blade tightness, but the second pack i loosend rotors and put her up in the air. She did seem more stable, especially in piro's. Even the hover seemed better, but there was also no wind this morning. I will get those wires situated today and test out my new swashplate leveler. If i can get cycilic perfect, the tail wont seem like such an issue. It's almost good now with some trim though, but it's still got a tiny tiny drift to one side or the other, seems like i need half a notch of trim in there. I'm gonna totally redo the tail today though and see what i can do.

Thx for the tip on the gryo, never looked at that lite before. I know ive let it initialize upside down and sideways before while walking with it lol, prolly why a few of my flights been not the greatest stability. I found out that i cant even get it to initialize in the dirt 3/4 of the time, i gotta put her on the sidewalk to get it to initialize properly. I'll be back saturday i'm pretty sure in the morning, i gotta bring my little sis though, my mom's gonna drop her off at my house in the morning. Im sure she'd love to watch the aircrafts fly. That was a pretty need modeler park there, besides all the praire dogs and rabbits trying to become one with my tires.

jasmine2501
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
With the GY401 you can't really use rudder trim. You have to adjust the pushrod until the tail stays in rate mode with no trim or subtrim on the rudder in the radio. When you initialize the gyro, it remembers the position of the rudder stick when you turned it on, and it thinks that is the center. So if you put in trim, the next time you fly, the center will be different, and you'll be chasing it forever.

GANJAR
08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm gonna totally redo the tail today though and see what i can do

LOL, sooner than later, had another spectacular crash, this time the neighbors witnessed it, and my house is showing the results lol. Well time to get in my little workshop area and rebuild her.....again. This time instead of cussing and hating the world, i was able to smile after my crash. What a hobby!

tyrick69
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
With the GY401 you can't really use rudder trim. You have to adjust the pushrod until the tail stays in rate mode with no trim or subtrim on the rudder in the radio. When you initialize the gyro, it remembers the position of the rudder stick when you turned it on, and it thinks that is the center. So if you put in trim, the next time you fly, the center will be different, and you'll be chasing it forever.
I set up my 401 in rate mode using subtrim. I followed the instructions in the 401 manual for resetting the center for HH and it worked fine. I have mine set up for HH in normal mode and rate for both idle up 1 and 2 and I can switch from normal to idle up and the tail doesn't move. I should mention that the first time I set it up this way it worked at first but when I plugged in the next battery pack, the gyro wasn't initializing in HH mode. I set everything up the same way again and then rebound the DX7 and it's been working great. I think the key is rebinding.

xuzme720
12-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey Jasmine! I just wanted to say "Thanks" for starting this thread. I just read though the whole thing because my T-rex has been sitting unfinished for the last year due to changes at work, time and money, and of course my slimer cars compete for some of that time, too (I tend to rotate my hobbies, as I just don't have the time or money for all of them at the same time).
Anyway, the reason I was thanking you, and everyone that posted, is that I found it to be a perfect refresher, being away from heli's for this long...
Now I just need to get a new motor as the one I have is acting a little strange (i.e. my 40A ESC getting hot!) and I can't remember what I put in it (motor can is unmarked in any way). Easier to replace it with a known motor then work backwards...In the meantime, I plan on going back over my bird and checking everything again...
Sorry, I keep rambling...:o

CHELLIE
12-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey Jasmine! I just wanted to say "Thanks" for starting this thread. I just read though the whole thing because my T-rex has been sitting unfinished for the last year due to changes at work, time and money, and of course my slimer cars compete for some of that time, too (I tend to rotate my hobbies, as I just don't have the time or money for all of them at the same time).
Anyway, the reason I was thanking you, and everyone that posted, is that I found it to be a perfect refresher, being away from heli's for this long...
Now I just need to get a new motor as the one I have is acting a little strange (i.e. my 40A ESC getting hot!) and I can't remember what I put in it (motor can is unmarked in any way). Easier to replace it with a known motor then work backwards...In the meantime, I plan on going back over my bird and checking everything again...
Sorry, I keep rambling...:o

Xuzme :ws: Dont be Silly, We Enjoy your Rambling :$ ;-) :p> Take care and Stay Sweet & Happy Holidays to You and Yours, Chellie

xuzme720
12-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Xuzme :ws: Dont be Silly, We Enjoy your Rambling :$ ;-) :p> Take care and Stay Sweet & Happy Holidays to You and Yours, Chellie
Right back at you, Chellie! And of course to everyone! Happy Holidays!

jasmine2501
12-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Hehe... I haven't read this thread in a long time.

I am building a new Trex 450 at the moment because I lost the other one to a Spektrum lock out. It wasn't totally destroyed, but it was close enough that I decided to do another kit from the ground up. The stuff that comes with the SA kit is pretty good - Align 430L motor and 35X ESC - but this time I'm adding a BEC to it, just in case. Some people like other motors and stuff, but for me the regular stuff is ok - it flies beyond my current ability anyway :)

tenore
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I have a question about setting the gyro in heading hold and when it's not in heading hold. I know to set it with the switch up and in heading hold, then when the switch is down to set it when it's not in heading hold. What is the relationship between the two? This all started when I switched from analog to digital servos. I had the beast all set up to hover pretty well, then when I switched I get tail wagging. With the analog servo I had the heading hold set about fifty and the nhh set about 30. I didn't realize at first that I had to switch the 401P over to digital servos, but I have changed that. I also had to adjust the limit on the gyro up to about 100. I am still trying to get the wag out, but I wondered what the gyro does in non heading hold? Oops, I should have mentioned I have a DX-7 radio.
H.D.

jasmine2501
01-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Rate mode is used for scale flying, and also for setup, since it allows the servo to re-center when you let go of the rudder stick. Rate mode will allow the tail to follow behind the helicopter in forward flight, which is much more scale-like.

Personally, I never use it. I also never use a switch to control the gain. I use the DX7 automatic gain setting - so when I switch the flight modes, it will tweak the gain properly - that way I don't have to remember to hit another switch, I just go from normal to idle-up and the radio takes care of the gain. I use a slightly higher gain value in normal mode.

Whenever you change the servo, you will have to find the right gain numbers again. If you can not get rid of the tail wag, then you are probably having the servo arm too long. Suggest reading the manual for your gyro and watching the videos here.

http://vimeo.com/2714178

http://vimeo.com/2529748

caskydog
01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Here is a video of Tuesdays Heli flying at -
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kXxM-vvB5Vw

Is there a better place to post this?

tenore
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Here is a follow up about my earlier post with the tail wag. Diagnosed the problem to the tail rotor servo. It was not strong enough to hold the tail. After I took the digital out, the problem stopped.

capt. crash
02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
great!