PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Wires to a Brushless MpJet

gutsandglory
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Bought an MP JET ELECTROMOTOR AC 28/7-35 D with JETI speed controller. Do you solder the wires directly to the motor or do you solder the bullet connectors to the motor? What are the best connectors to use for this setup?Think I fried both motor and ESC. Alot of smoke. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rugar
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I always use Bullet connectors for my Motor to ESC connection. You can soldier the leads together, but connectors makes things easier when mounting and routing wiring and such.

Not sure how you could of fried anything. If you have the Motor to ESC wires connected backwards, all it would do is run the Motor in reverse.

Can you give us some details on what you did, and how you did it?

gutsandglory
01-10-2006, 03:00 AM
I soldered the bare wire ends to the solder points on the motor. I then connected the esc to the other bare ends of the motor wires with butt connectors. Then the lithium 3-cell to the esc via 2-pronged plastic connector.First attempts, the motor would smoke.Subsequent attempts had the motor housing vibrating in a rapid back and forth movement and finally, the esc just started smoking badly.Now, just hooking the battery to the esc starts her smoking.The motor might still be viable but a couple of hobby stores were very reluctant to hook up anything to the motor lest it ruins another esc. Hope I'm some what clear.

Rugar
01-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Are you sure the battery is not connected in reverse polarity?

gutsandglory
01-10-2006, 03:12 AM
If I had inadvertently connected the battery in reverse.Would the esc be a confirmed loss? In one shop, the esc smoked only when hooked up to the motor, when the motor was disconnected, the esc stopped smoking.This seemed to baffle the hobby store guy.Does smoke, coming from the motor and/or esc, necessarily mean these units are ruined?And how can I confirm they are without risking ruining other parts?

Reddog
01-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I think the game's over, My Friend! If I were you I would start over. Find out what you're doing first, though!
The three wires coming out of one end of the ESC connect to the three wire on the motor. You can't hurt anything there, maybe make the motor run backwards. If you do, just reverse any two wires and it should run the other way. The two wires on the other end of the ESC go to the battery. They have to be right! Red (positive) to red, and Black (negative) to black. It get's expensive when you hook those in reverse! you can ruin your batteries as well.
Dick

Rugar
01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
If I had inadvertently connected the battery in reverse.Would the esc be a confirmed loss?

If you hooked it up in reverse polarity its most likely toast. If the both the ESC and the Motor let the smoke out, I would say that they are both paper weights now. If you got the Jetti ESC from Hobby Lobby, there is a chance they might replace it for you. I have heard others report they exchanged theirs for them under warranty. Wouldn't hurt to try.