PDA

View Full Version : An idea to help grow WattFlyer

Jeremy Z
01-10-2006, 04:38 AM
As we all know, WattFlyer is about quality over quantity at this point. But the owner of the site wants to increase traffic.

Since there is not a lot of traffic here, it doesn't make sense to split it up so much as the other RC fora.

When most fora start and are growing slowly, it seems to me that the way to do it would be to have only a few general fora. Not many specifics.

When the post count on certain topics get to the point that they're taking up a pretty decent percentage of the total posts, THEN break off and create another forum.

The way it is now, we have all these specific fora, for Parkflyers, Flying Wings, etc. But there are very few posts in each forum on a daily basis. The result is that people will post there and will not get as many replies, or will not get replies very quickly, and they will then go to another forum and post there for the higher exposure of higher traffic.

Until WattFlyer is at a similar level of contribution as the biggies, wouldn't it make more sense to just put almost everything into General Electric? We would still be able to tell what the post was about and choose which ones to participate in. Also, people who would not necessarily be looking to participate in a certain type of post would notice those other posts.

Example: I want to post about my GWS Corsair. I have to choose whether to post in Electric Warbirds, ParkFlyers, Foamies, Scale, High Performance, Sport Flying, or General Electric. If I post in any one of those fora, I will be missing out on exposure from all the others. It is considered bad form to post the same thing in more than one forum, so one has to make the choice. The result is that there may be 7 groups of people who might be interested in my post, but only one or two groups will see it.

What does it mean to ME? Sometimes I post in General, when I know jolly well it is more appropriate to post in Warbirds. Since more people read General than Warbirds, I know I'll get more exposure there.

I secretly think that this is why many beginners post in the General Forum, even though we have a forum just for them. They know they will get more exposure, and thus more answers from the bigger group.

On RCGroups, this is not a big deal, as most of the fora have readership in the thousands and you get plenty of exposure when you go to the right place. But for a fledgeling forum like WattFlyer, it is just watering down our power.

What does everyone else think?

Jeremy Z
01-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Side note: I decided to post this because I have a local buddy whom I met through RCGroups that I go flying with. I asked him if he'd seen WattFlyer. He said that he had, but that it is still so small and that people are still referring to so many threads on RCGroups and RCUniverse that it defeats the point of going there.

He is registered here, on RCGroups, and on RCU, but he doesn't participate here because there's not enough traffic to make it worthwhile. (yet)

But the problem is that if everyone does this, it will never grow like it should. It is kind of like dropping garbage on the street and saying "Someone else will pick it up."

I stopped participating at RCU because there were just so many fora and it was so watered-down that even the strength in numbers was not enough to make it worthwhile. RCGroups is kind of like a happy medium. WattFlyer is a tighter community. More of us know each other, and a higher percentage of us are willing to help our neighbor.

So I participate here and at RCGroups (as Jeremy Z). But as things pick up here, I'll participate here more and at RCGroups less. Lack of ads and a fast, lightly-loaded server make this place very attractive.

Now, it's on to fix the COG on my Overlord. (in the Flying Wings forum, if you're interested. ;) )

rocket_jim
01-10-2006, 12:49 PM
So how does the owner of WattFlyer make any money? Lose $ on each post and make it up in volume???

Sky Sharkster
01-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Jeremy, I read your coments with great interest; While your point about the other site having so many readers it's possible to get more exposure is true, I don't believe limiting the categories here will necessarily provide a better, or faster answer to a specific question.
To use your example of the Corsair, suppose you post on "General Electric". Sure, many more people will see the question, but how many (on that site) can or will answer it? Maybe 10%?
Post the Corsair question on "Warbirds" and how many can answer it? I'd guess 50%. Why? Because they ALL fly warbirds!
So having a more specific venue exposes the question to readers who are more familiar with that topic. It's not about sheer numbers, it's about quality.
With the ever-growing complexity of R/C in general and Electric flying in particular the chances that anyone will have intimate knowledge in ALL the different areas grows smaller (althought there are those who like to think they do!). I don't post or reply in " Heli" because I don't fly'em and would rather leave the answer to someone who does have the experience to help.
There will always be the problem of which forum to post in; Just a couple of days ago the question was posed regarding where to post a query regarding a "Pitts Special"..."3D", "Scale", "Park Flyers", etc. I don't have an answer but suppose we added a forum (I'm not suggesting we do this, it's an example) called " Scale Aerobatics". THAT's where the "Pitts" should go, and everyone would figure it out.
I'm not denying that there's overlap in the different Fora; "Parkflyers and Backyard flyers" could be combined with " Sportflying Electric" for example without confusing anyone. They have a lot of the same readers. But there will always be overlap and I believe specific questions are better served by specific fora.
JMO
Ron

Stark Flyer
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Keep it the way it is. That way I can scan what intersts me. Since this site has less traffic I can get through it faster where the other larger forum I limit the categories due to time constrants.

Dick

hoppy
01-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Smaug, interesting thoughts - against the grain of the current RC forum thinking as they all seem to use the same format of a zillion forums but I'm sure it has some merit. At the present time, I use the "New Posts" button to scan all the posts in the forums I'm interested in. That way it doesn't make any difference if Pitts is in Warbirds, Foamies, or Power Systems. That is a workable solution at the present time. Perhaps some of the forums could be combined like Foamies/ParkFlyers until the traffic makes it desirable to split them off.

Matt Kirsch
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Ron, you've got a valid point, but you're making assumptions that the readership of General is the same as the readership of Warbirds. In reality, there may be a handful of people who skim Warbirds regularly, but a hundred who read General on a daily basis. 10% of 100 is 10, while 50% of 6 is only 3.

What people need to do more often, is determine what kind of question they have, and post it in the appropriate forum. If you've got a question about the battery for your Corsair, it belongs in Batteries and Chargers. If you've got a question about the motor in your Corsair, it belongs in Power Systems. If you've got a question about the history, insignias, paint schemes, or scale details on your Corsair, THEN it belongs in the Warbirds forum.

...and yes, posting to multiple forums is bad form, because it makes YOUR job harder, not ours. Post to 7 forums, and you've not only defeated the purpose of having multiple forums, but you've also started 7 simultaneous conversations that you have to keep track of.

Consolidating does have some merit, but there is an equally large contingent who demand we split up the forums even further. The challenge is to find a happy medium where growth is maximized, but the forums are specific enough to cover the areas of interest. IMHO, we might be a little top-heavy by a couple of forums, but I don't think it's hindering growth.

I don't know when your friend last visited, but I'm here every day, and I only see reference to outside forums about once in every ten threads, at most. That's no worse than anywhere else I've been, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with making references to material that's already out there.

slipstick
01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
One reason why I like this site is because I can check the areas that I'm mainly interested in fairly frequently without getting bogged down in lots of posts that are of no possible interest. And it's still quiet enough so I can have an occasional wander round the other forums without spending my entire life on here. I rarely use the overall "Last Posts" mechanism for the same reason, a high percentage of them will be of no interest.

If all the forums were lumped into one I'd have to wade through loads of irrelevant stuff to find posts of interest and very often people are very bad at using sensible subject headings so I'd either have to waste my time opening all those posts headed "Need help !!!!", or more likely I simply wouldn't bother.

Steve

BTW is it common for Americans to use "fora" as the plural of forum ? That's been pretty much obsolete in English English since sometime early in the last century ;).

TManiaci
01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I vote to leave it be.

If you browse like I do, you look at the "Today's Posts" pretty much every day. If the Title of the Thread is well written, it will describe the question, comment or otherwise that is addressed inside. I'll go looking if I am then interested, regardless of which forum category it was placed under.

I think you'll probably find many browse this way. Limiting the ability to make singular threads from day-one would really turn me off bigtime. If you do that, then your "subject" thread is broken when you pull it out to separate it. Not a good plan...

rcers
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
You grow a site by participation and posts.

I have to admit I posted the same thread on eZone and one here on WattFlyer.

eZone now has 13 comments - WattFlyer 0. Posted in the same forum Title on both sites - Electric Warbirds.

So that makes me kinda not want to bother with posting here, when you don't get even a single comment. Too bad too as the b-24 is a great plane, I thought it would get more attention.

But participation takes time. Not fair to expect WattFlyer to be the same in 6 months as eZone in 10 years.

Too many forums too early is an issue. I actually don't ever use forum views anyway. I just look at all new posts (on both sites) and participate in the discussion I am intererested in regardless of forum.

Mike

admin
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
You can grow it by linking to posts here from RCU/RCG and other sites. Also referring members here and letting them know what is better, what advantages there are, why you enjoy it, etc. Word of mouth is huge in growing these sites.

The other incentive piece is getting people to participate. maybe we can use the post rating or some other metric to give away prizes or recognition points to those who help provide the most accurate replies? Open to ideas.

rcers
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
maybe we can use the post rating or some other metric to give away prizes or recognition points to those who help provide the most accurate replies? Open to ideas.

That largely just turns into a popularity contest. Hard to know....

You are right you grow it by getting those who already participate in others to come over.

Mike

frvrngn
01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
I like this site the best for the "feel". Attitude is much better here than the other site too. Unfortunately, there is much more info and posting over there so I still visit it. I dont post anywhere near as much though. It seems if you have the slightest different opinion its the invite for a flame war.

For the multiple forums, I hardly notice. I just use the "new posts" button when I visit :) I love that feature, I get to read some things that I might not otherwise. If I dont want to read it, just keep on scanning down...

R T W
01-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm a newbe And like thing here at watt flyer please don't change

n001pa
01-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I say keep it like it is. I scan almost every forum because I'm interested in almost all aspects of RC aircraft.

sailr
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Leave it alone. It works!

rhatch
01-10-2006, 10:18 PM
In the regular promotional mailings that you send out about WattFlyer, you always include a list of threads with most replies and threads most viewed. Those are interesting, but they are nearly always exactly the same each time. I find very little new there.

How about adding a category that's something like Moderator's Picks, or Other Threads of Special Interest, or other Selected Other Threads, selecting new threads for each mailing, threads that have many replies that a reader may otherwise have missed?

I think it's fun to go exploring in a forum and see what I can stumble across, and that's even more fun when someone has taken the trouble to point me toward threads that they thought were especially interesting.

Mike Freas
01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm a member off all three sites and check them every day. Sometimes having fewer members isn't a bad thing as long as the people on the board know what they are talking about. I'm also a member of an on line car club/information board that requires someone to vouch for you to join which keeps all the punk "tooners" out. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time and spending the money to have this board up for me to ramble.

rcers
01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I like this site the best for the "feel". Attitude is much better here than the other site too.
Isn't it funny how anonymity brings out the poorest qualities in some people. I really think if you had to use your real name (I don't!) and phone and address and CC number (well OK - you get the point) people would behave more.

99% of the people here on RCU and RGC are great folks. It is the 1% that are interesting.

Life is good.

Mike

Mike Freas
01-10-2006, 10:44 PM
As you can see that is my real name and location. I think it just makes it eaiser for me to remember my log on with all the sites I'm on and I don't have anything to hide.

rcers
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Yep I like that - I really think we all should do that!

Mike

Mike Parsons
01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
You mean I have to use my real name?! ;)

rcers
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Everyone but you Mike - you really need a more "unique" name....

Mike

watt_the?!
01-10-2006, 11:18 PM
i didnt know fora was plural for forum...!?

i learn so much on this site its unreal!

debhicks
01-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Ok. My two cents worth, I like it just the way it is. I would however agree that it would be nice if those signing up would at least put a location down. Not sure why anyone would want to keep that secret. Screennames are one thing. That is a way we can let our alter ego's out.

watt_the?!
01-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Everyone but you Mike - you really need a more "unique" name....

Mike

how about ''Mad MikeP'' ?

giflyrc
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I am retired and visit the forums several times a day usually choosing Wattflyer first because of the new posts feature and I read and participate in whatever catches my interest at the moment

I also visit RCG on an equal basis and probably post more there because of the higher response rate. You can also view new posts there although not as easy as this forum.

And RCU?? Forget about it RCU is too slow and top heavy with adverts seemingly stuck everywhere ( ya see the ad once, do you have to see it every screen change??)

My .02
Roger aka GIFLYRC

funnysticks
01-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I agree with the way things are going now and agree this seems to be the best place to learn new stuff. Just getting into E-flying and have gotten a lot of good info and help without any wisecracks, sometimes a little humor which is great. I have found the forums to be specific enough for me, but I am just one voice. Please don't change too much as what you have is very good and yes it would be nice if we did list our location. I thank you for asking for input and the great job you are doing. Dan MODE1 Powers

Don Sims
01-11-2006, 12:21 AM
You grow a site by participation and posts.

I have to admit I posted the same thread on eZone and one here on WattFlyer.

eZone now has 13 comments - WattFlyer 0. Posted in the same forum Title on both sites - Electric Warbirds.

Mike

Yeowww!! I read that post and thought it was a cool looking project but resisted the temptation to make another cool looking project post!! :eek: I make too many shortie posts as it is!!
Don

rcav8r
01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
OK here's my take on it.. Just my honest oppinion, not trying to ruffle any feathers.
I hang out at the "other" place 95% of the time. I don't have much time, so I spend the little time I have where I can get the most info. Yea, management there has taken a turn for the worse, but there are still a lot of good guys who post so I ignore the mgmt thing. That and I've been with them when they were just an email list, so it's been a habbit for a long time :)
I signed up here when I first heard about it early on. Looked around, submitted a few questions... not a single answer. Tried a little later after more members joined, no answers. I later checked and found that I couldn't find my posts. Not sure how they dissapeared, but they were gone. I also noticed that my post counter reset to 0, so I quit coming back. Now I check occationally, and today I finally made a post or 2, but most of the time I nose around, don't see anything new or (more importantly) different, and leave. To me it's just a smaller copy of what's already out there....
I actually like the ads on the other site. They aren't in your face like RCU, and when looking for something to buy, I check their sponsor list, and it is rare that I don't buy from one of the sponsors.

I quite going to RCU long ago for reasons already mentioned. Heck why don't they just fill up the entire screen w/ ads and be done with it. Reviews there seem like ads masked as content just like the print mags do. Then again the reviews for that other place are starting to look like ads too now that there has been a change in the way things are run there ;)

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Okay, if we are trying to be honest about our "lack" of Wattflyer use... here is a BIG one for me.

Thread activity is many times driven to high levels of activity as debates rage or people get excited about the topic. The thing that pi$$es me off is the lack of e-mail notifications after one reply.

Here's why... I am working, or doing other stuff, but at my computer. I don't keep my web browser live all the time, but I do have my e-mail hot and running all the time. If I engage in a debate or topic, I let the e-mail tell me when there is something to see, and I read the email. Wattflyer imbeds the message in the email, and does not put up a hot-link to the thread or new post record. I can see the message, so I have no reason to visit the site.

So, if a notice comes from some bozo, or the reply is off topic, I kill the e-mail and go back to whatever. I never cut-and-paste the link to the Explorer (a pain in the butt).

So... since I didn't visit the site, notifications cease to be made. Bad idea.

You want me (and I'm sure others like me) engauged, then send a notice on EVERY reply, and embed a link to it. Don't force me to visit the site to renew my notice service, and make it easy to slam right to the new posting. An stop including the message in the notice... make me come get and it.

Oh, and let's get some COOL smilies too...

Rugar
01-11-2006, 01:30 AM
I signed up here when I first heard about it early on. Looked around, submitted a few questions... not a single answer. Tried a little later after more members joined, no answers. I later checked and found that I couldn't find my posts. Not sure how they dissapeared, but they were gone. I also noticed that my post counter reset to 0, so I quit coming back. Now I check occationally, and today I finally made a post or 2, but most of the time I nose around, don't see anything new or (more importantly) different, and leave. To me it's just a smaller copy of what's already out there....
First let me say Thank You for coming back.
When this site first started it had very few members as all forums do. It takes time to get members to find a new site. It also takes time for the site to develop posts to gain useful information which does not happen until amount of members increases. Its a vicious circle but slowly develops over time. RCG has been in existence for many year now, so of course its going to have much more information in its database them we do here. But if you look at the forum statistics of WattFlyer http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbstatextended.php, you will find it is growing at a extreme pace. We have just shy of 5500 members now, and we had almost 600 viewers on at once yesterday. Not bad for a site less then 6 months old. For the most part your not going to see anything new or different then you would on any other RC Electric Flying site as far as information goes. That would be dependant on what modelers are flying and the equipment being used. For the most part we are all flying the same sort of models and using the same sort of equipment on any forum you go to. The only thing a Web Forum can do to make things different, is create a better atmosphere and create different posting policy's that make the user feel more comfortable and want to keep coming back to a certain forum. That is what we are trying to do here. I have no idea why your posts disappeared, but it could have been a forum glitch when this site first started. Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

Keep coming back and you WILL see a difference!

I actually like the ads on the other site. They aren't in your face like RCU, and when looking for something to buy, I check their sponsor list, and it is rare that I don't buy from one of the sponsors.
In the very near future you will be able to choose if you want to see adds or not on here. The choice will be yours with the click of your mouse.

Gullwing
01-11-2006, 01:35 AM
:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it.................GW:D

Rugar
01-11-2006, 01:38 AM
You want me (and I'm sure others like me) engauged, then send a notice on EVERY reply, and embed a link to it. Don't force me to visit the site to renew my notice service, and make it easy to slam right to the new posting.

I'm not sure if this is possible. I think that has to do with the way the software works. E-Mail notices always work that way for me on whatever forums I go to.

Oh, and let's get some COOL smilies too...

I agree! :D

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Rugar,

On RCU and RCG, I get a notice on every post for my subscribed forums. I can go days without looking, they just keep piling up in my inbox. I like that... if I want to clean up, I can delete the notices easily.

Which brings me to another Beef... if you guys want to make it better that is. When I post a reply in a thread, I should automatically be subscribed to that thread. Now, if I want to check one of those threads later on... I can't find them because they are not "My Topic" and they are lost deep in the "My Replies". I want a button for "My Subscribed Threads" so I can find them readily. Maybe I missed it, and it's there somewhere, but this is one way I browse or go back to add a new bit of information to a stale or inactive thread.

ParkJetsFlyer
01-11-2006, 01:57 AM
There are quite a few R/C Forums available for people to visit, but WattFlyer is the Only All Electric R/C FLIGHT Forum. It is only natural that we do not have the traffic of the larger "Everything for Everybody" forums, and it is the MAIN reason why I love it here!!

BUILD THREADS
The One thing that WattFlyer is missing, and I'm not quite sure why yet, is Building Threads. There are a few, but we need many many more. People use the Internet to search for information first, and once they find it, and it turns out to benifit them, then they will come back for more, and hopefully join the forums, and contribute themselves.

You can tell by the type of threads that are started, most of our users are looking for INFORMATION AND ADVICE about a specific model plane, when you read "I bought a Blah Blah Super Stoker from Blah Blah, and it turns left when I want it to turn right, What do I do??? "

- OR -

I bought a Blah blah Super Stoker from my LHS, but it fly's like crap on the provided equipment. and I want Insane Lucricus SPEED!! Can You help???

Because so many Build threads are started on the Other forums, the people who are meerly searching for Information and Advice, have the option of reading through the build thread, and the hundreds of "My Set-up is" or "Do you think a Blah Blah will will help me to do this" posts and find what there looking for, rather than having to open a new thread and asking a question....

The LIMITATIONS Of The WattFlyer Forum

Pictures are a Hassle to Up-load due to file type Size limitations. I KNOW there is a very good reason for doing this, but some of the restrictions could be eased up a bit,

I would loosen up the file size limitations, and keep the Object Dimensions intact (so the Forum webpages stay framed up properly.

Rugar
01-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Rugar,

On RCU and RCG, I get a notice on every post for my subscribed forums. I can go days without looking, they just keep piling up in my inbox. I like that... if I want to clean up, I can delete the notices easily.
I sometimes get more then one for a subscribed forum but most of the time I only get the next newest one from the last time I visited. Im thinking this is settings in our own PC's, not forum related, but I could be wrong.

Which brings me to another Beef... if you guys want to make it better that is. When I post a reply in a thread, I should automatically be subscribed to that thread. Now, if I want to check one of those threads later on... I can't find them because they are not "My Topic" and they are lost deep in the "My Replies". I want a button for "My Subscribed Threads" so I can find them readily. Maybe I missed it, and it's there somewhere, but this is one way I browse or go back to add a new bit of information to a stale or inactive thread.
You are automatically subscribed to a thread you post in if you have your setting turned on to do so. It should be turned on by default.
If you go to "User CP" which is in the upper left of your screen, and then you can click on "List Subscriptions" which is on the left of your screen in your "Control" panel.

Mike Parsons
01-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Rugar,
Well said in post #32. You took the words away from me verbatim.

It's all about atmosphere and feel. Wattflyer is growing daily thanks to each and every member here. This site has the feel of sitting around the field in the foldback chairs and telling stories at dusk when it is too dark to fly anymore. Or that favorite LHS you walk into and sit around talking with friends about anything and everything. This site has an incredible staff who's focus is to share in those good times with you and help any member in any way we can.

-Mike

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 02:07 AM
The LIMITATIONS Of The WattFlyer Forum

Pictures are a Hassle to Up-load due to file type Size limitations. I KNOW there is a very good reason for doing this, but some of the restrictions could be eased up a bit,

I would loosen up the file size limitations, and keep the Object Dimensions intact (so the Forum webpages stay framed up properly.

AMEN!

I HATE to have to stop, go downsize the image (two or three times) and then look with dissapointment at the poor resolution that results. I take HIGH RES photos with a very high quality camera. I would like others to appreciate the images at some level of quality (at least 800x600, 1024x768 maybe?). Downsizing to 448x336 web resolution is really weak.

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 02:14 AM
You are automatically subscribed to a thread you post in if you have your setting turned on to do so. It should be turned on by default. If you go to "User CP" which is in the upper left of your screen, and then you can click on "List Subscriptions" which is on the left of your screen in your "Control" panel.

Ahh, thanks Rugar... I missed that screen when I was looking before. It's buried two levels in... I guess I should explore a bit more.

Rugar
01-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Ahh, thanks Rugar... I missed that screen when I was looking before. It's buried two levels in... I guess I should explore a bit more.
No problem T-Man. There really are a lot of options on this site if you just go and do a little exploring. Just way to many to put direct link buttons to. If you have any more questions about finding something, just ask away. :)

SigMan
01-11-2006, 02:29 AM
i love watt flyer!

airmail wf
01-11-2006, 02:57 AM
I'm new to wattflyer. As long as the owner is asking questions like this I think this site will grow very well.:D I like the site.

admin
01-11-2006, 03:01 AM
Some good ideas, comments and suggestions here so far. From this feedback I can really help address some of the issues and thinks you guys want.

Image resizing - this fix is coming so we will do it automatically. it was supposed to be here sooner but for a multitude of reasons is not completed but it is on the board.

subscribing - you can set your default in the user options to "instant notification": http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

email containing the text - double edge sword. it is convenient at times but can create a problem if you read it and don't visit the board then other replies may come but you won't get an email for each one. I should probably remove the message from the notification and only use a link to the thread so you are 100% sure to see all subsequent replies. I'll look at this tonight.

RCU ads - somewhat unrelated but brough up above. Awhile back RCU added option to disable ads for those who so chose to do so. just click MyAccount atop any page and the option is there in your settings. This was done mostly for guys who had slow connections to allow them to use the site with good load speeds but anyone can do it.

email - if you don't visit the board the trigger to send another email when new replies is made does not occur. this is because the board figures that you got the notice to check out the new replies and there is no logic to bombard anyone over and over with additional notifications.

I'll address alot of the comments brought up here. some right away and some in the near future. keep them coming. good stuff guys.

Jeremy Z
01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
I will do that then. I will start linking here instead of copying and pasting posts. If I don't get enough of a response here, I'll just do the copy/paste trick.

The universal selling point for this forum is that there are no ads. It just kills me when I'm over on RCU and it is so damn slow because the whole works is waiting on a stupid banner to load. Also, on RCGroups, there is an area for reviews, but the reviews have come into question on account of the advertisers. Once we get more reviews up here, there will be no question as to how honest our reviews are.

Since I'm going to be such a great promoter, can I put in a request for a dark background/high contrast color scheme? If you read text all day, a black background is easier on the eyes than a white or light one. It feels strange at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Side note: for those who use Word a lot, there's an option Tools--> Options --> Blue background, white text. Try it if you dare, hehehe.

Jeremy

admin
01-11-2006, 03:18 AM
smaug,

sure...I'll find a nice dark theme with a black background for ya'

DIALED/CHUCK
01-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I Market for a living... And this is what I have learned, not read...and applied with success time and time again...

Marc is right...Word of mouth is #1 to grow anything. IPods, BlackBerry, Itunes, etc etc etc. Then from there you slam the brand over and over and over...

The biggest question any person, business, product, or organization that wishes for success needs to ask itself is:

1. What does my product provide that my competition does not and how does my user/customer benefit? In other words what is your unique selling promise? The fact that this board specializes in ONLY electric is a great start...but others will follow.

For instance: Parkzone RTF planes promise you can "Just Fly"...hence why they cannot keep them in stock at most hobby shops...and why their RTF planes outsell any other on the market.

It is an unchangeable truth that you cannot go far until you figure out 'what makes this thing different?' ...and it has to be a 'different' that matters to normal people.

"No warning points" and "No banner ads" is good...but does that really make the person say "I need to try this site!" ? It might for a few.

The mass success will be by finding different, creative, and compelling content....and this site is well on it's way with that...

Wattflyer needs to make a promise to it's current core and we (the users) need to realize that we are a part of history. This is the first site of it's kind to provide the modern flyer with the most informative and entertaining community in electric flight discussion. The answer and promise is in the previous two sentences. Of course, how to get there and what defines each is the challenge.

Boys (and girls), it is up to us...Get out there and post...be creative...be different...be real...and make as many friends as you can. When people are having fun...it spreads like wildfire. Keep it professional...ignore negativity, foster friendship.

"Success Through Alliance"

--C

admin
01-11-2006, 03:39 AM
smaug,

Ok..that was an easy one. New black theme added. 20 minutes after my post above :)

use the style chooser bottom left of any page to check it out.

Tom Moody
01-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Since I'm going to be such a great promoter, can I put in a request for a dark background/high contrast color scheme? If you read text all day, a black background is easier on the eyes than a white or light one. It feels strange at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Side note: for those who use Word a lot, there's an option Tools--> Options --> Blue background, white text. Try it if you dare, hehehe.

Jeremy
That has to be the worst thing they could ever do. If they do that I will NOT come here any more. I lived for several years with a TRS80 computer in the early 80's and all it had was a black background with white text. That is almost impossible for me to read.

Tom Moody

Don Sims
01-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Hey Tom there are already a few other options in your user profile. Marc just added another one as an option. I don't use the default setting but like you wouldn't use the dark background.
Don

ParkJetsFlyer
01-11-2006, 04:29 AM
The Back backround is cool light blue links, you just have to watch your signature file, if it's in black font color you won't see it on the new background.

Mike Parsons
01-11-2006, 04:31 AM
That has to be the worst thing they could ever do. If they do that I will NOT come here any more. I lived for several years with a TRS80 computer in the early 80's and all it had was a black background with white text. That is almost impossible for me to read.

Tom Moody
Tom,
It is a user option. You are most likely looking at the forum default as I am. You can change to one of three schemes by choosing it from the lower left hand corner.

-Mike

Rugar
01-11-2006, 04:33 AM

Tom Moody

Tom, scroll down to the very bottom of your screen that your on right now. Look at the very bottom left hand corner. You have several options for choosing your back ground. I personally like the Amp Blue the best.

Rugar
01-11-2006, 04:34 AM
I think we all posted that at the same time. LOL

Mike Parsons
01-11-2006, 04:38 AM
I was .02 seconds ahead of you LOL :D

Don Sims
01-11-2006, 04:44 AM
LOL Purple Steel here.

Tom Moody
01-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Tom, scroll down to the very bottom of your screen that your on right now. Look at the very bottom left hand corner. You have several options for choosing your back ground. I personally like the Amp Blue the best.

Thanks but geez, I've never bothered to scroll down that far. Why hide it like that? Not that I would change it because the default is the best of the choices anyway.

Tom Moody

admin
01-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks but geez, I've never bothered to scroll down that far. Why hide it like that? Not that I would change it because the default is the best of the choices anyway.

Tom Moody

tom,

there are only so many places to put something...although I believe you can also set this in your user options within the User Control Panel

I agree..I like default the best. soothing :)

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks Marc, et.al., glad to see you guys are so acommodating and willing to tailor the site to the whim's of a few noisey supporters.

So, Just got my first notice without the message embedded. But, the hyperlink is still not there, just the URL in longhand. Alos, check out the content format, it's a bit botched up. Not that it's important, but the lines are all running together at the bottom section.

giflyrc
01-11-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm glad I have a choice of backgrounds
Hate the black
Will try the amp blue for awhile

Roger aka GIFLYRC

Mike Parsons
01-11-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks Marc, et.al., glad to see you guys are so acommodating and willing to tailor the site to the whim's of a few noisey supporters.

So, Just got my first notice without the message embedded. But, the hyperlink is still not there, just the URL in longhand. Alos, check out the content format, it's a bit botched up. Not that it's important, but the lines are all running together at the bottom section.
TM,
I think it may be a setting on your PC's email program. Here is what I see on my notification via Outlook:

Mike Parsons
01-11-2006, 05:31 AM
I am going to move this thread to Support and Suggestions as that is where it best belongs for further discussion. I will however leave a redirect in place for easy indexing.

Thanks,
Mike

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Amp Power Blue for me. Black.... YUCK!

TManiaci
01-11-2006, 05:35 AM
TM,
I think it may be a setting on your PC's email program. Here is what I see on my notification via outlook:

Mike, I only use Outlook for work. I am using AOL for my private email, along with 13 million other people. Not sure why it doesn't make the line a link, but it doesn't. When I get notice messages from RCU, the hyperlink is embedded in a "Here" word. Can you make it do that?

The formatting is all clean now. Boy, you hop-to, thanks again.

tortadon
01-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I am a very newbie. But I am learning. I like this site and read often but don't always log on as I am sure many newbies do. When you don't know enough to ask the right questions it is best to read and learn.
I use tortadon for two reasons. I have 18 tortoieses and I fly like they move.
Thanks for being a great place to visit

Rugar
01-11-2006, 08:06 AM
I am a very newbie. But I am learning. I like this site and read often but don't always log on as I am sure many newbies do. When you don't know enough to ask the right questions it is best to read and learn.
I use tortadon for two reasons. I have 18 tortoieses and I fly like they move.
Thanks for being a great place to visit

If you click the check mark next to your password when you log on, it should automatically log you in each time you visit as long as your using the same computer each time.

admin
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I think there is a setting in AOL to convert to links. However I will make a bootstrap in the code now to convert another link below the regular one. also the format should be ok...I had 4 revisions to get it right

Mike Bogh
01-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Hideho all,

OK,tough call, good question.
I have a wee bit of experience in how forums work, and will offer this.

RC websites grow more-so because of attraction, rather than promotion. Word on the proverbial street, that is. Lets look at a newer example of a extremely successful RC forum, the Flying Cirkus.
What the Cirkus offered differently than any other site was a unique and original vibe, different attitude, less reverent, less structured, and stuck a particular nerve, the right site at the right time.
Catered to a specific target market segment of RCer.
RCU had it beat in many, many other areas, but the unique "personality" of the Cirkus crew, made it a place that you just had to go to, just to see what they were up to..."whack jobs", if you will.

So, I would agree in theory that fewer forums would increase traffic in the remaining forums...more traffic is better, period.
When and IF they get too crowded, a post gets buried to the 2nd page in a day or two, then you split it...OK, maybe 3 or 4 days.

Attraction rather than promotion.

The old adage "if you build it, they will come" is no longer true.

Honestly I registered here a couple of weeks ago, read a couple of forums that interested me, checked back in a day or 2, and not much had changed.
That's almost terminal, for a website/forum.

I wish I had a magic formula that I could post here, that would assure you of complete success, but alas there is no "one" way to do it.
I did however touch on a few ideas that may be helpful.

Regardless, good luck.

OK, just one more thing...I know RCG has alienated a few of you here, for good and honest reasons. Shoot, every successful site steps on a few toes eventually. Unless a "hook" can be invented by Wattflyer to make itself different, and irresistible,(theres the rub), I don't honestly see a predictable growth rate to satisfy me, let alone my old friend Marc.

I hope no one is offended by my comments, if so please accept my apology.

I just remember that once upon a time, a complaint/observation without providing a solution or idea in how to improve, seemed to me like whining.

Best to you all,
Mike

DIALED/CHUCK
01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Mike....

Look one pages back...we think alike! Cheers! Sounds like we are from the same 'school of thought'. Amen, brother.

--C

Mike Bogh
01-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Mike....

Look one pages back...we think alike! Cheers! Sounds like we are from the same 'school of thought'. Amen, brother.

--C
Shoot, I didn't read the 2nd page...sorry 'bout that...but your spot on, with your post and said it "mo bedda than me"...:rolleyes:

True, great minds DO think alike...hehehe;)

I'm still trying to come up with a "hook"...
Best to you all,
Mike

sailr
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Locations are normally included on the left side along with the user's name/nickname. Occassionally I have noticed, however, that the location is missing. I too believe that bit of info should be mandatory.

BTW, my real name is Jim Slaughter and I'm in Land O' Lakes, FL (just in case it doesn't show up on the left. ;-)

admin
01-11-2006, 09:17 PM
we can't make locations mandatory because even if we did a guy who didn't want to put it in would just put in a false location.

at this time there is quite a bit changing if you check in every day or few days. Wattflyer is seeing around 350 new posts/day and it is growing. That's not bad at all. Mike mentioned cirkus above and they were seeing well under 350 posts/day average in their final weeks before they split and moved to seperate sites (http://flyingcirkus.rcuniverse.com)

Keep in mind this is in less than 6 months and it is receiving about 8% of the total posts that RCG gets now. RCG has been around for 10 years or more than 20x longer than WattFlyer. Also as other sites continue to alienate users with things like warning points or othe policy that people do not like more will continue to look for alternatives whatever they may be.

marc

Nathan
01-11-2006, 09:21 PM
One hook in this case is people have a online niche dedicated to their primary hobby interest and they feel wanted in this friendly environment. Too many websites cast off it's members as unimportant, not Wattflyer.

There are other reasons too, but I'll leave it at this one for now.

sailr
01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Well made points all.

TManiaci
01-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks Marc! The aol link works perfectly.

Oh, and advertising banners? Fine with me. I'm on broadband, so it is not a problem here. I find them useful actually. It's a fine way to be exposed to what's out there, what's new and vendors you might not know about. If it's necessary to advance the resources of the site and keep it alive, then bring it on.

admin
01-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks Marc! The aol link works perfectly.

Oh, and advertising banners? Fine with me. I'm on broadband, so it is not a problem here. I find them useful actually. It's a fine way to be exposed to what's out there, what's new and vendors you might not know about. If it's necessary to advance the resources of the site and keep it alive, then bring it on.

Good deal on the aol link.

As far as the ads. they are not necessary to advance the site but the pluses are that it may bring more vendor participation to the forums and a significant portion of users prefer to see small, non-obtrusive ads over not seeing any at all to keep up with what is new. For this sub-segment we could satisfy them without the need to expose a single ad to anyone who did not want to see one since they would be off by default.

KD5LHG
01-12-2006, 03:28 AM
I vote to keep it as is. I do not spend a lot of time posting but do read thru the post if I see a topic that is one of interest.

KenK
01-12-2006, 03:29 AM
I have been in model planes since C/L in the 50's. I tried RC when radios were BAD!!!
I have tried for the last 10 years to get back into RC since I stopped owning/flying real planes.
Just last year I discovered the world of Electric flight!!! Then the next thing I discovered was WattFlyer... I searched the posts & found it to be a great help..
I was involved in the great Pitts Posting mistake!!! It was sort of out of place in 3D, but it got the results I think we were looking for. I just types Pitts in search & there it was !!!
I have met new friends & have come a long way in a short time with Electric flight...THANKS... I still will need you guys because I have a long way to go & a lot to learn.
I check new posts every night before supper!!!!
I have posted also on RC Groups & have cross referenced both links!!!
Recently I posted this:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3520

I was getting confused, but I got answers right away.. This is great!!!!

It takes time to grow. Lets get the word out that we are here.

Didn't mean to make this so long!!!
Sorry..Keep up the good work!!!:D

ParkJetsFlyer
01-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Good deal on the aol link.

As far as the ads. they are not necessary to advance the site but the pluses are that it may bring more vendor participation to the forums and a significant portion of users prefer to see small, non-obtrusive ads over not seeing any at all to keep up with what is new. For this sub-segment we could satisfy them without the need to expose a single ad to anyone who did not want to see one since they would be off by default.
Along whth the Ad's it might be a good idea to have a "Vendor's/Sponsors" Web Page, Where companys could display there Ad, and have a clickable link to the website handy for those of us who want to visit them.

Just my 2 Cents

RonJ
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Another vote for "leave it as is".

The only problem I have with the "other guys" is that if I am looking for an answer to a question and do a search, find 10,000 replys and 9,000 of them have to do with things like "where do you live, lets get togeather and fly, my Toyota is red, etc., etc." I can spend hours trying to find out what size lipo someone is using on their Blade helicpoter.

RonJ

tortadon
01-13-2006, 07:38 AM
we can't make locations mandatory because even if we did a guy who didn't want to put it in would just put in a false location.

at this time there is quite a bit changing if you check in every day or few days. Wattflyer is seeing around 350 new posts/day and it is growing. That's not bad at all. Mike mentioned cirkus above and they were seeing well under 350 posts/day average in their final weeks before they split and moved to seperate sites (http://flyingcirkus.rcuniverse.com)

Keep in mind this is in less than 6 months and it is receiving about 8% of the total posts that RCG gets now. RCG has been around for 10 years or more than 20x longer than WattFlyer. Also as other sites continue to alienate users with things like warning points or othe policy that people do not like more will continue to look for alternatives whatever they may be.

marc
Being totally dangerous with a plane (hit baseball field light pole dead center yesterday) I like the controls inset in the video at cirkus. Maybe this could be a way to spur more viewing of your site. By the way my plane split in half but the trusty rubber band put me back up in seconds. Next time the pole sees me coming I am sure it will move.

TManiaci
01-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Being totally dangerous with a plane (hit baseball field light pole dead center yesterday) I like the controls inset in the video at cirkus. Maybe this could be a way to spur more viewing of your site. By the way my plane split in half but the trusty rubber band put me back up in seconds. Next time the pole sees me coming I am sure it will move.

The Cirkus went down. On Jan. 1 MadMax pulled the site down and put up his own new website, Flying Giants (http://www.flyinggiants.com/). All the content was dumped, and is disputed as to ownership. The two other players, Showtime and Smokin Joe hooked up with RCU HERE (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_406/tt.htm). It's a mess, and there is no resources available on RCU to support the video stuff yet. However, RCU staff is setting up to duplicate the Flying Cirkus environment with Member Video hosting soon. I have all those training videos, but they are huge (30-40 MB each), but I have noplace to put them up for others to grab them, and I'm not sure they will appeciate it if I do.

rocket_jim
01-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Another vote for "leave it as is".

The only problem I have with the "other guys" is that if I am looking for an answer to a question and do a search, find 10,000 replys and 9,000 of them have to do with things like "where do you live, lets get togeather and fly, my Toyota is red, etc., etc." I can spend hours trying to find out what size lipo someone is using on their Blade helicpoter.

RonJ
I'm with you there. And my post, in fact this entire thread, won't contribute anything to the body of searchable knowledge here.

There's chit-chat and there's useful technical info, and mostly they are all jammed together, making searching difficult at best.

I like things just as they are, size-wise. I can scan the new posts daily for things of interest, not worrying about being bothered by anything about gassers, off-road cars, politics, religion, etc.. If there were twice or three times or thirty times as many posts, I could not no longer do that.