PDA

View Full Version : My Me-109 has taken on a new shape

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 04:10 PM
As some of you may already know, I crashed my GWS Me-109. I stuck it perfectly straight into the ground on Flyday the 13th. It wasn't "Too Bad" and up till this morning, I had planned on repairing it. I had taken the motor, receiver and ESC out of it and set it on a big Rubbermaid storage tub in the garage. The tub was full of some of our son's toys that were headed up to the attic. This morning before he and my wife left, he showed me one of his toys he had gotten out of the tub with the prior approval of his mother. I was fine with that. Then they left.

When I was leaving for work, I went out to the garage and noticed my Me-109 laying on the floor. I started wondering why it would be on the floor, then it struck me. He had taken it off the tub and laid it on the floor to get his toy out and didn't set it back up on the tub. Of course, it was lying directly in the path of the passenger side front tire of my wife's car and now she was gone. I went over to pick it up and I must say, the silk and wbpu did an excellent job of holding the foam together. There wasn't a single crack or tear in he silk or foam but a perfect impression of her tire tread right across the wing and tail.

Of course the vertical stabilizer is no longer vertical but more parallel with the horizontal stabilizer and the left wing is a little thinner (OK, a lot thinner) across the mid section with a new texture in it. I'm not sure why, but I have never really been very fond of this plane so it's somewhat sadly humorous what has happened to it.

Honestly, I still think it can be repaired but by the time I spackle the tire tread imprints on the left wing, it will be so heavy on that side that it will always fly in a left hand circle. HEY! Maybe I can enter it in a NASCAR race.:Q

I really struggled where to put this thread. It's a crashed plane so I put it in the crash forum but, it's also a testament to the strength of the silk and wbpu so I could have put it in the builder's tips and tricks. On the other hand, I'm sure some of you will have a sick sense of humor about this and find it funny so it could have gone in the Humor thread too. Where ever the post should have gone, the plane will most likely go in the trash.

Unless of course someone would like to buy 1/4 of a GWS Me-109 fuselage and half a wing already silked and airbrushed.:(

gfdengine204
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Tom,

Sounds like he is following in dad's footsteps.....

I read this and was at a loss for words....and you know how difficult THAT is.

Sorry about the -109......:(

pd1
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
What, no pictures?

Paul

The camel is on it's way.

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 04:45 PM
What, no pictures?

Paul

The camel is on it's way.

I figured someone would want to see the gory details. You probably slow down to drive by car wrecks too.:Q

I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.

pd1
06-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I figured someone would want to see the gory details. You probably slow down to drive by car wrecks too.:Q

I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.

You should talk, you ripped two of the legs off the grasshopper in your avatar.

Paul

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
You should talk, you ripped two of the legs off the grasshopper in your avatar.

Paul

Uh, no, the windshield did. Why would I rip off my own legs?:eek:

gfdengine204
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Tom,

Instead of throwing it out, can you fix it enough to mock it and hang it? Or does it really look that bad?

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Tom,

Instead of throwing it out, can you fix it enough to mock it and hang it? Or does it really look that bad?

Oh, I'm sure I could repair it to almost new and make it flyable again but I'm not sure I want to spend the time on it. I have too many other planes I want to work on. I'll probably throw it in the corner and see if I feel like it later.

Angler-Hi
06-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear about that Tom. Just out of curiosity, what was it about the plane that you didn't particular care for? Was it flight characteristics?

firemanbill
06-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Tom. At least you have a good attitude about it.:)

Just more room in the hangar now for a new one!:cool:

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear about that Tom. Just out of curiosity, what was it about the plane that you didn't particular care for? Was it flight characteristics?

I'm not sure what it was Mike. I never have been a big fan of foam so that may be part of it. I thought it came out really nice but it never was one of those planes that I just couldn't wait to get out and fly again.

Sorry to hear that Tom. At least you have a good attitude about it.:)

Just more room in the hangar now for a new one!:cool:

That's the way I see it Bill. I'm starting to clear out some of the smaller planes to start stepping up in size. I just bought a 59" J3 Cub kit and am planning on starting a 55" Douglas Dauntlass scratch build this fall.

firemanbill
06-26-2008, 07:56 PM
That's the way I see it Bill. I'm starting to clear out some of the smaller planes to start stepping up in size. I just bought a 59" J3 Cub kit and am planning on starting a 55" Douglas Dauntlass scratch build this fall.

About time! Bigger is Better!;-):cool:

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
About time! Bigger is Better!;-):cool:

Says the man with the worn out little beaver. (I'm talking GWS everyone).:Q

gfdengine204
06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
It IS a nice Beaver......:D

Grasshopper
06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
It IS a nice Beaver......:D

Not really Kev. As much as I hate to admit it, I've seen it in person. :D

firemanbill
06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Yup, that little Beaver has been rode hard and put up wet more than once that's for sure!:Q;-)

She has served me well though... and she is a world record holding Beaver too!

Pudknocker71
06-28-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm afraid to say I've never had a Beaver. I have a Pico Stick. It's worn an beaten.

gfdengine204
06-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Tom,

Still waiting on autopsy photos.....

Grasshopper
06-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Here are the gruesome details. I forgot to take a picture of the tail before I tried to straighten it out.

Bub Steve
06-28-2008, 05:43 AM
HoppyBub:: did anyone get the plate numbers of the simi that it seems ran over it?? Just kidd'in,,, hope she "comes back" she's a bute and looks like it won't be down long anyhoo, your bub, steve

Grasshopper
06-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks Steve. At this point, I doubt I'll fix it but we'll wait a while and see.

pd1
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Tom, Your right it is repairable, but I think it would be cheaper and easier to build a new one.
Unless....
Skin the wing with balsa.
Install the A22-20L in it and you'd have a missile.

Paul

rea59
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Here are the gruesome details. I forgot to take a picture of the tail before I tried to straighten it out.

Awesome camo job on the wing tip there....you can really see the depth...almost as if there's a repeating pattern to it breaking up the smooth lines of the wing......reminds me of tire tracks in the dirt. :Q

Grasshopper
06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Tom, Your right it is repairable, but I think it would be cheaper and easier to build a new one.
Unless....
Skin the wing with balsa.
Install the A22-20L in it and you'd have a missile.

Paul

That's exactly what I told my wife last night Paul when she said she thought I could repair it. I told her it would be cheaper and faster to buy a new one...hint...hint.

Awesome camo job on the wing tip there....you can really see the depth...almost as if there's a repeating pattern to it bereaking up the smooth lines of the wing......reminds me of tire tracks in the dirt. :Q

Thanks Ray,

It took me years to perfect that method.:p>

gfdengine204
06-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Tom,

Why not just try and fly it as is? Might be pleasantly surprised....

Heck, it might fly better now..... :)

Grasshopper
06-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Tom,

Why not just try and fly it as is? Might be pleasantly surprised....

Heck, it might fly better now..... :)

I don't like to fly ugly planes.:D Even thought that's what my wife says about all of mine.

Bub Steve
06-28-2008, 05:57 PM
That's exactly what I told my wife last night Paul when she said she thought I could repair it. I told her it would be cheaper and faster to buy a new one...hint...hint.

Thanks Ray,

It took me years to perfect that method.:p>

HoppyBub:: I loved that plane an can't stand think'in she's toast!! mail me that puppy, I'd like to do her up for ya,and after Extensive flight test'in you can have her back,your bub,steve

Bub Steve
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Hoppybub's been'a pull'in Ya'll's legs ( and rubb'in um together) He said he'd mail me & "the Kids" his so-called " busted-up&Run-over 109 and look what showed up!!! I wondered if it's the same plane but saw the tire-tread-wing which ain't bad at all!! Hoppy's a PIP!!! bub, steve

Grasshopper
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I can't believe how fast you got that thing back together. Hope the Mullet Marauders have fun with it.

Bub Steve
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I can't believe how fast you got that thing back together. Hope the Mullet Marauders have fun with it.
Hopp'inAlongBub::Look at the last pix real-close,,, now whats that thing behind the Hun??BubSteve

Grasshopper
07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Hopp'inAlongBub::Look at the last pix real-close,,, now whats that thing behind the Hun??BubSteve

Kill that thing before it reproduces!:eek: