PDA

View Full Version : indoor scale spoked wheels???

2muchfun
01-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I am building the Sig Demoiselle, and I hate the "wagon wheels" that come with it. I would like something more scale like and I was wondering if anyone has some ideas as to where I can find them or if there are plans that I could build my own. I have even thought of using scale bicycle parts but I am at a loss.:confused: The wheels that come with the kit are 4.5 inches in diameter, and they look too large as well (to me anyway).

Lastly, the paper pilot has to go! I am thinking of either a vacuum formed pilot (to hide the battery in) or perhaps something scratchbuilt out of styrofoam. I have also seen images of the real aircraft with some type of fairing immediately behind the pilot. I think that this would be a great place to put the radio gear. Any ideas?

TLyttle
01-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Bob Hungerford used to build spoke wheels for sale, but I haven't seen an ad for years. It just ain't that difficult; there was a how-to on the Brand X site awhile ago, it should be of considerable help.

Building wheels is so much easier now than it used to be, thanks to CA and other new stuff. In my earlier days, I used curtain rings, macrame rings, etc for rims, and music wire for spokes; some indoor stuff uses fish line for spokes. I think I may have a pic of a 3" wheel for an old r/c project; had I doubled the number of spokes it would have looked better, but the model wasn't scale anyway. Those wheels were TOUGH! They survived many years of my landings, and the one in the pic is over 25 years old...

Boomerang
01-11-2006, 07:56 AM
In the Nov 05 issue of Flying Scale Models (UK) there is an article by Peter Rake on how to make spoked wheels. It's the easiest method I've seen so far & they look great, nice & delicate. He includes his email address in the article - PETERRAKE@aol.com

You will also find him on RCGroups usually in the electric scale area.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php , he is in the member list so you could send him a PM - John.

eflight-ray
01-11-2006, 09:57 AM
2muchfun
We recently had the film 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' shown on tv again, well worth watching.
My two favorite 'oldies' are the Antionette and the Demoiselle.
Re. spoked wheels, have a look in a toy store, sometimes they have toy plastic bicycles with wheels that could be used.
For the pilot, again a toy store for something like Action Man clothing, padded out with polystyrene.
As for somewhere to hide the RC, how about a dummy picnic basket behind the pilot?

2muchfun
01-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the help! I am going to have a go at making my own wheels.

The picnic idea sounds good! With a bottle of wine for that summer picnic in the park!

I'll post pics once I get started. I'm looking at starting it this weekend (3 day holiday).

For the tires, I'm thinking about using screen window spline. It is ribbed like tire tread and I've already got some.

Great idea on the pilot. I would like to hide the battery inside.

Thanks all.:D

watt_the?!
01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
theres a company in the czech republic that make them from 10mm up to 70mm....very scale...

cant recall the name of them but i have them on all my scale ships..

watt_the?!
01-13-2006, 01:41 AM
http://www.pbmodel.cz/uvodu.htm

E-Challenged
01-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I have made balsa "pulleys" from laminations of balsa discs then hot stuffed soft plastic screen door spline into them. Cut the spline at an angle to glue the ends together neatly.Glue a piece of Sullivan nylon tubing into the center for an axle bearing. You can add tapered radial slivers of balsa from hub to rim and then cover them to simulate canvas covered wheels. I have also seen wheels made of clear plastic with O-ring tires and with "spokes" drawn on with a fine tip CD marking pen. Anything looks better than "gun carriage " wheels. Have you seen the ugly wheels on GWS warbirds?, I guess you aren't supposed to be able to see them in the air.

Pat Tritle sells jigs for making "wire wheels" on his website ( Pat's Custom Models)

Balsa Shavings
02-13-2006, 04:03 AM
I found some really cool spoked wheels at the Dollar Tree. They where in the toy section on toy bicycles, the dont weigh nothing and look real good. they even had some that looked like modular spoked rims. My son was a little upset that I disected his toy bike, but a couple of bucks made him happy.

Keep The Faith: Johnny

2muchfun
02-13-2006, 04:43 AM
Sounds Great! :D I'll check out some toy stores on the way into work.

I had my hand an making some "home-made" spoked wheels. They are a little wobbly, but I'm pretty proud for a first effort. They detract from the aircraft's looks though. Still no pilot though.