PDA

View Full Version : Major new up-date to Castle Link software.

Larry3215
06-28-2008, 05:21 AM
For those who haven't heard, there is a new major (beta) up-date to the Castle software now available.

I havent tried it yet, but its supposed to have big improvements in Gov modes and better starting for outrunners.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885942

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/beta_software.html

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

Larry3215
07-03-2008, 03:46 AM
I finally got around to up-dating some of my controllers.

I dont fly heli's any more, but from what Ive read on other forums, the heli improvements are significant. Most folks are raving about the better gov software - with a few exceptions as usual.

Ive seen fewer comments on the improvements in startup with outrunner motors but there have been a few positives and no negatives that I have seen.

So far I dont see much difference in the couple of small outrunners Ive tested. That may not be a fair test though because I never did have serious start up problems with my small outrunners.

I think thats largely because I am running mostly hi quality outrunners - CustomCDroms, MicroDans, Hyperions and Hackers for the most part - and because Im extremely careful with my soldering and conections. Heck even my Little Screamers start up fine.

I am somewhat disapointed in my testing of some of my geared inrunners. I was hoping the new startup routines would mean smoother startups with the inrunners I have.

I have more of a mix of low end and hi end stuff on the inrunners. I have one cheep Ammo in 7/1 gear box that never has started all that well. The new version doesnt seem to be any better.

Ive also tried it on one of my Mega's and it may be a tad better but its hard to say. I spent more time adjusting the start power settings so it could be just that.

Ive also loaded it on an HV110 running a Neu 1515 2Y on 12S, but I wont get to try it until the weekend. It is also a rough starting setup.

Anyone else tried it out yet?

Old Fart
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
LOL Larry - maybe it can get my CC35 to run my LSJS/5 blade Alfa fan at less than 48A :)

Larry3215
07-05-2008, 03:13 AM
No promises on that!

MY tests with those motors showed that you can reduce amp draw a good bit be playing with timing and PWM.

Ohio AV8TOR
07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
These updates are only for the Phoenix ESC's. If you are having any start up problems with your T-Bird line your still in the waiting game.

Old Fart
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
No promises on that!

MY tests with those motors showed that you can reduce amp draw a good bit be playing with timing and PWM.

Any particular settings you've found that worked? I can't get below 41 with any I've tried.

Larry3215
07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Any particular settings you've found that worked? I can't get below 41 with any I've tried.

Give me a bit and I'll look for the link to where I posted all that info. Its oin here somewhere but its a long post...

Back to the new software - one of my flying buddies told me this weekend that the new up-date dramatically improved startup on one of his mid sized - 5S, 600 watts or so on a P60 - outrunner setups. I forget which motor he has though.

So its working well for some folks.

Old Fart
07-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Larry - appreciate it. I know my F86 is going to need a better 4S than those pathetic TP 1320's - but I'm not going to carry 45A of battery :eek:

Larry3215
07-07-2008, 07:06 PM
As I recall, the lowest amp draw was with low timing advance and the lowest PWM.

Do a search on my name and "adaptor" or "adapter" (I cant spell for darn) and look for comments on LS motors.

There are two or three other possibilities if your amp draw is above normal.

1)Fan is out of balance
2)you have a motor that has a higher than "normal" Kv. They shipped a lot of motors that had been mis-wound and had either higher or lower Kvs than they were supposed to and/or they changed things mid stream and didnt want to admit it.
3)very likely - your adaptor is dragging on the shaft and increasing your amp draw by and amp or three or 4 depending on how bad it is out of alignment.

I posted details on how to correct the adaptor problem in an older thread - do the search and you should find it. Its easy but the motor has to be out of the fan.

Old Fart
07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks!

Larry3215
07-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I found it. Look at post 22 here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24978&highlight=adaptor

The earlier posts are informative as well but that one addresses your motor specifically :)