PDA

View Full Version : top-flite FW 190D

mikeceleskey
08-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Steve Curry wrote a detailed review on this kit for RCM several years ago in which he talked about upgrading some of the parts to a more accurate scale outline. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if he made molds for these parts and if they are available. Also, this is going to be an electric conversion project....so some helpful suggestions on powerplants would be appreciated.

Matt Kirsch
08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Don't know about the molds... If you have the article, you might be able to track Steve Curry down and ask him directly. Unfortunately, I don't know how much luck you'll have getting information out of RCM at this time. There have been some rumblings that RCM is going under, and they haven't been putting out issues lately.

Power system... That's another story. Could you post some specifications on the plane, mostly what they expect the AUW to be?

ENUT
08-12-2005, 04:56 AM
From what I remember,a couple years ago(maybe 2) steve offered all the parts that should be done.But then he stopped making the parts.Also if you haven't bought the kit yet you would be better off going with the skyshark kit.I believe it to be more scale.Most of the TF kits are heavy wood.I also read one canadian modeler use use's the TF parts as templates to make liter parts out of contest grade balsa for weight savings.Good Luck,

ENUT

mikeceleskey
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Too late...already have the kit!!!! I do enjoy a challenge though. To answer an earlier question.....ws is 63.5 with a total wing area of 712sq.in. The fuselage is 61in. The reccomeneded engine is .61-.91 and it's target weight as a gas burner is nearly 11lbs.
That long nose just begs for e-power and with a 3-bladed prop I can hear it whistling past on a low-level run!!!!!!
Spring Air makes a set of retracts with the right angle and Squadron/Signal re-issued the FW190D Walk Around for reference.
Thanks for the tid-bit on Steve Curry.....
Also, heard the same about RCM......

Mike