PDA

View Full Version : e-starter on floats on snow

Eggvoel
01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I wasn't sure if my stock estarter would have enough power to fly off the water with floats so I waited until the lake was frozen and snow covered. I have the GWS floats, 350b motor, 9070 prop and using 2c1500ma lipo. This is my trainer I started with last Feb. and has gained weight from epoxy. But, fly she did and quite nicely. Mine torqued to the right, probably from float alignment, and straighted out with rudder after a gentle arc. About 4inches of fluff and take-off was probably around 20 feet or so. I'll measure next time. It was 23 degrees out, no wind. 1st flight with the floats and didn't need much trimming. Fun!!! Did several take-offs and landings and handling was just fine. did 2 batteries worth and then my hands were getting too cold. Haven't found thin, flexible gloves yet. Power upgrade to BL would be better, but nice slow, low passes are fine too. Only 4 1/2 months until ice out here in Maine.
In the mean time, I am waiting for my BL for my Formosa which is going to be on skiis. Will try the skiis first on the Estarter. Larry

Don Sims
01-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Larry, the stock E-Starter should have plenty of power to ROS and you should be able to ROW with it also. I've ROS with my floats several times... who needs skis??

donjiskra
01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
I've found that skis only work well on packed snow, while floats work REALLY well on snow, grass and even water. The V-shaped hull GWS floats are excellent, well made and priced very reasonable at only $10.95 USD.
Don

Eggvoel
01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I think after this week's rains and warmer weather and then winter coming back in I'll be using wheels. Hadn't thought about the hardpack snow for ski's, I'll see how it goes. Just having fun experimenting and on the cheap: floats ten bucks and ski's were a little less.
I've taught myself how to fly on the estarter and it was a real handful in the beginning, but now I enjoy it's forgiveness and wanting to fly right side up no matter what mistakes I make.
Trying to get smoother flying the Formosa which has also gained weight from epoxy and that also was a handful at first and now I am starting to ring it out and enjoy it. Great sport, as much challange as you want, and the best part for me is the quiet and ease of flying electric.
Actually the best part has been finding these site's on the web where people are so willing to share their knowledge. Sure has helped me tremendously and helps make more affordable decisions. Thanks everyone. Larry