PDA

View Full Version : Eflite 40 BL ESC?

buzzbomber
08-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Is anybody on this board using an Eflite 40 amp brushless ESC? I was given one to use with my AXI 2826/10, and I'm curious what kind of results people are getting with this ESC. I'm not crazy about the non-adjustable LVC and the 12-cell limit, but I think I can make it work.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I have two of the E-Flite 20A versions of this ESC. I really like them. The LVC is auto detect, and I run only 2S and 3S packs, so it isnt a problem. It has been very good to me, and when I see others with CC ESCs having problems, mine always seems to work. Has even faired well in some pretty rough crashes.

gwh
08-10-2005, 05:37 AM
I had a very short life on an Eflite 40 with an Axi 2820/10 and three servos. The BEC appeared to burn up on the first flight despite being within the advertised specs for the ESC. Based on my experience I do not think you motor would be very good with this ESC. The 20 seems to be a better product than the 40. I've seen a few reports that an "improved" 40 will ship in the near future.

buzzbomber
08-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, that's not too encouraging, but good to know nonetheless. Thanks for the info. Did Horizon Hobby replace it for you, since you were within the recommended limits? For what it's worth, I planned on disabling the BEC and running the motor on 12 cells with a separate BEC or Rx pack. BTW, Horizon's website shows the "V2" ESC as coming soon, so I guess it is being replaced...

08-11-2005, 03:55 AM
buzzbomber,

Mine worked great on 8 cells, however be very careful when using 12 cells on one of those.

I tried 12 GP1100's on a Unicorn with a 16/15/4 & an APC 6 x 4. I got glitching within about 20 seconds of WOT, which affected throttle & control surfaces. I assumed that it was due to overheating.

In a moment of poor judgement, I brought it in fast and low, when I got a big glitch and hit the ground at 70-90mph!

I cut lots of cooling holes around the ESC and things improved dramatically; pretty much confirming my thought that it was an overheating issue. However it would still happen towards the end of the flight.

What kind of prop & batts are you planning on using?

Brad

buzzbomber
08-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, were you using the built-in BEC when you had trouble, or and external BEC?

I was originally planning on using an APC 13x8E with 12 GP2000 or GP2200 cells, but now that I have this ESC, the 44 amps that should draw at peak looks out of the question. I guess I'll have to either bit the financial bullet and settle on 3S lipo(about 36 amps) or drop down to a 12x8E on my planned 12 cells(39 amps) and watch the throttle. Either way, I'm going to use a separate BEC(either UBEC or Medusa) to ease the thermal load on the ESC. Maybe I should just look for a different ESC and use this one for something less demanding. I'm kind of in a jam because my father gave it to me as a birthday present when he heard I bought the AXI on the cheap, so I don't have a receipt to return it(Lord knows he probably threw it out by now).

martyh1104
08-11-2005, 05:21 AM
I have the 40 amp eflite as well and it blew up on me during the test phase of my motor installation (AXI 2808-24), was only drawing between 18-19 amps when I experienced some glitching and then the side blew completely out. Sent it back to horizon hobby and they will replace it when the new and improved version is available. They did indicate that one of the changes they were making had to do with the number of servo's it could run, the new one will run 4 servo's. I did not have any servo's connected when this happened to mine. I was running 3s2p 1750ma li-po with 9-6e prop. The factory says it should have been no problem handling this set-up. I also have several of the 20 amp versions of the eflite ESC and have not had any problems with them.
Marty

08-11-2005, 03:31 PM
I was using a http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

Hope they replace mine as well, as it was only drawing about 30amps.

Brad

buzzbomber
08-11-2005, 04:43 PM
I was using a http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

Hope they replace mine as well, as it was only drawing about 30amps.

Brad

This is not looking too good for me, is it? Since I'm stuck with it, I guess I'll bench test it thoroughly when I get my batteries in and see how it does, but I guess I ought to start looking for a replacement. I don't want to risk wadding my first conversion just because of ESC failure. I wonder how that new 60 amp job from Balsa Products is? My wife is gonna kill me if I spend $150 on a new Jeti 40 and a BEC for it right now...:(

08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
...or you can check with the guy at http://www.rctoys.com/

He's been selling Phoenix 45's for $68 shipped. You will have to contact him directly. Those prices are not on his site.

Brad

Ribcracker
08-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I also had problems with my E-flight 40 amp. After about 20 flights it crapped out. Juice is going to the servos but not the throttle. I was only drawing about 12 amps with my set-up. Customer service told me to send it in. We'll see what happens but I expect they'll replace it once the "new" model comes in. BTW, I have hundreds of flights on my EF 20 amp. You really can't beat the price. PRICE MATTERS!!