PDA

View Full Version : Hobbico Electristar on Floats

Fast Guy
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I bought my first plane, an Electristar in Febuary and few it all winter off the lake I live on. Skis worked great until my runway melted and turned to water. I then bought a Great planes 40 size float kit to give float flying a try. It took about 10 hours to build the floats and custom mounts to fit the Electristar. I made the mounts out of 5/32 and 1/8 piano wire using the 5/32 for the main struts and 1/8 for cross bracing. I did not add the 2oz of lead weights to the tip of each float as indicated in the instructions as I was able to balance the plane by moving the battery forward. Hooking up the rudder steering cable was easy to the existing steerable nose gear. I used Aqucraft drain plugs in each float should any water get in. The Electristar now weighs 6 1/2 lbs without the main battery. The extra weight makes the plane feel a little less responsive, but handles wind like it wasn't even there. The Electristar was able to take off and fly with the stock motor and 4s lipo though it took almost full power to fly. I happened to have a Rimfire 42-60-480 and Phoenix 80 ESC from another project I'm working on so I installed them in the Electristar along with a APC 14x8.5e prop and a 5s battery. Now I have all the power youl ever need in this plane. Take off with 1/2 throttle and level flight at 1/4 throttle. Taking off and landing is really cool on floats and it draws lots of spectators too. One day I will head to our local flying field (40 miles away) and try flying with wheels.;-) Check out the movie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Planes/th_ElectristaronFloats.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Planes/?action=view&current=ElectristaronFloats.flv)

gfdengine204
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Very very cool.

I may have to do that in the future on my Electristar. Thanks for posting that video!

dmmalish
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
that is great thanks for posting i hope to have mine in the air by the end of the week ( on wheels of course )

Maine Flyer
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Fast Guy,
Very very nice. Great video and flying.

Can you tell us what battery you are using and how much current the motor draws at full throttle?

Thanks,
Joe

Fast Guy
07-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Fast Guy,
Very very nice. Great video and flying.

Can you tell us what battery you are using and how much current the motor draws at full throttle?

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for the compliments, just started flying in Feb of this year. I,m using a Poly RC 4900/5s/25c that I had for my FE boats. Too heavy and flight time is well beyond my attention span.:<: I ordered a much lighter Flight Power 3200/5s/30c to use in this plane and a SebArt Sukhoi 29S 50E. The motor draws 32a at full power measured with an EagleTree micro logger.

Maine Flyer
07-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Fast Guy,
Thanks for the info. Glad to see you using the eLogger. Great tool.

Don't forget to recheck your CG with the new battery.

Joe

HEMICUDA
07-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Fast Guy,

Once again that is awesome!!:tc: I love the skiis especially.
Don't think I'll be using floats over water, you screw up, you
lose your plane.:<: