PDA

View Full Version : connectors ?

kc10boom
08-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I have seen so many connectors Kavan, jst, deans. Which one is best.

aeropal
08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
What will be the max amps?

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
The above poster made a good comment - for the most part, JSTs are acceptable for applications under 8amps or so. Of course mini-deans are probably a little bit better. Anything over 10amps, you would be better off using deans connectors.

kc10boom
08-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I just want to fly small electrics like the flat outs or mini funtana.

FinnFlyer
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
JST's are good to 7A. Deans micro to 20A. Deans Ultra to 40A. I prefer the Deans, but ask ten different people, and you will get ten different answers. It' s all what you want to standardize to. Some folks swear by Anderson powerpoles, which are fine, I prefer the Deans.:rolleyes:

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-09-2005, 05:35 PM
KC - The mini Funtana will draw too many amps for JSTs. I would recommend going with deans connectors - you will be happy in the long run, but as the above poster says, many different opinions out there.

rcers
08-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I use JST for everything <7amps.

Over that I use Anderson/sermos connectors. Yep the are a bit big but I can separate them with one hand. I am very happy with them.

FinnFlyer is right if you ask 10 guys you will get 9 answers on what to do.

Mike

EpoweredRc
08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I just want to fly small electrics like the flat outs or mini funtana.

Go with the deans Ultra there the best the JST will melt at 10 amps.

glenclif
08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
KC10Boom

Most GWS and other light amperage models come with JST connectors as do low Amp batteries.

If you are just getting started, pick a type of connector That you like for your heavier duty above 7A motors, and batteries, and stick with it. Male always goes on speed control, female always on battery. (This is to prevent shorting of a battery while in your pocket or flight box)

Everything above about 7A I strictly use Deans Ultra. They are inexpensive, easy to solder, and most every vendor carries them.

Glenn

Matt Kirsch
08-09-2005, 09:27 PM
The important thing is to pick one, maybe two, different connectors, and stick with them.

That said, another vote here for Deans Ultra on the MiniFuntana. I use the Deans micro polarized connectors on park flyers.

rcers
08-09-2005, 10:22 PM
The important thing is to pick one, maybe two, different connectors, and stick with them.

What Matt said. Too expensive to convert later!

Mike

Walter Phillips
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Looks like I'm the tenth guy with an answer. I prefer the Astro Zero Loss connectors. They are easy to connect and disconnect. They protect against reverse polarity. Also, they make a three pole connector for motor to ESC. They are a little more expensive.
I agree with the previous posts. Look at the available connectors and choose one to stick with.
Happy flying. Walt Phillips

3D52
08-15-2005, 01:54 AM
I use Anderson / Sermos Connectors myself, they are very easy to connect and disconnect and easy to take apart and reuse.

Steve

2dogrc
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM
I use 3.5 mm Bullet plugs and color code the leades with colored shrink wrap! I also found some miny size plug connectors that are rated to 10 amps for my little planes.

I agree pick one or two and stick with it!

Daniel G
08-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Another voet for Deans Ultra. :cool:

ragbag
08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I traded my anderson's for dean's. This was after I was in it a while and decided to stay with deans. The andersons are much easier to unplug.
We drill a 1/16th hole in the deans and use ring pliers to unplug them.

Some have taken the anderson's and cut them down, so that they take up less room and lose a little weight also.

George
Gainesville Fl

glenclif
08-15-2005, 04:56 PM
To make the Deans a little easier to disconnect, take a #2 Pencil and rub some of the carbon on the male ends of the connector. You will be suprised how much easier they are to disconnect. There are other threads about how to solder on R/C Groups, just run a search on Deans Ultra.

ragbag
08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Do pay attention to the solder job on the plugs, whatever brand you use. totaled a pheonix, 3 kokam cells and almost caught the world models zero I had just converted.
Had the polarity backwards on the deans and they are marked so clearly.
If you are tired go to bed, don't try something complicated like soldering two wires. :p
George
Gainesville Fl

EpoweredRc
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
To make the Deans a little easier to disconnect, take a #2 Pencil and rub some of the carbon on the male ends of the connector. You will be suprised how much easier they are to disconnect. There are other threads about how to solder on R/C Groups, just run a search on Deans Ultra.

I have never heard of this thanks,will have to try that,them things are tuff to get apart when there new.

Wingdoctor
08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I've never had a problem with the Deans Ultra connectors - good secure connection, very tough, good current through them, and you can find them just about anywhere.

Happy Flying!

Glacier Girl
08-17-2005, 02:04 AM
I like the Anderson's because I don't have to worry about the soldered connector possibly becoming exposed.

olmod
08-17-2005, 02:44 AM
For battery deans ultra for esc mpjets;)

Rugar
08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
For battery deans ultra for esc mpjets;)

YUP! What he said! :D

Tweet
08-18-2005, 05:04 AM
For larger models (over 10A) I really like the Anderson Powerpoles. They are easy to connect/disconnect and you can use a crimp tool and avoid soldering altogether (I am perfectly capable of soldering connectors).

http://www.westmountainradio.com/RCintro.htm

Dr Kiwi
08-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Lez (Olmods) and I are obviously in the minority (maybe its a British colonial/Southern Hemisphere thing) - I still use Deans Ultras on fixed equipment, and I've flirted with Deans Micros which are also excellent, but everything else has been converted to MP Jet Gold Connectors - 1.8mm (25A), 2.5mm (40A) and 3.5mm (80A). VERY light, tiny, neat and very low resistance. Not that I ever reach the maximum amp capability - size of wire is the ultimate decider, since one cannot fit anything bigger than 18ga into the 1.8mm connectors, nor more than 14ga/16ga into the 2.5mm.

Cheers, Phil

mwhitman
09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I use JST or Anderson Powerpoles for the battery-ESC connections. For what I fly, Powerpole and JST connectors are much easier for me to have when changing batteries. I like the bullet connectors for the motor-ESC connections. Here's a good article describing the different connectors: http://www.flyrc.com/articles/connectors_1.shtml