PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Align 600XL Brushless motor (coated wires)

dbo
07-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I hope someone can give me some insights on the following problem:

I have the following outrunner brushless motor:
http://www.rcbestseller.com/catalog/images/Align/Electric/kx860008a_1.jpg (http://www.rcbestseller.com/catalog/images/Align/Electric/kx860008a_1.jpg)

This is a stock motor which comes with a T-Rex 600 heli.

I recently cut-off the connectors which were fitted on this motor with the idea of soldering the wires directly to a controller.

After I had cut through the wires (just behind the connector) I was suprised to find that the 3 phases consisted of copper strands which were individually coated to insulate.

It seems as if the motor was winded and the copper-coated wires were just brought to the outside of the motor and soldered to the connector.

Each phase consists of at least 20 coated copper wires.
I used a knife to remove as much coating as possible and then soldered the wires.

I am however having thoughts that there is a chance that a few wires might not have been scraped by my knife.
My gut-feeling now says to me that having a few insulated wires will have a bad influence on the motor-efficiency and might even influence the correct working of the speed controller.

Am I right in this thinking?

Why are so many wires needed? Or is it possible that they are connected to each other inside the motor.. ?

If my gut feeling is correct, what is the procedure to remove this coating properly ?
Scraping with a knife isn't really ideal as the copper strands are not very thick.
The only better option I can think of is using a dremel with a rotating steel brush.

In any case, I am kicking myself for not removing the connectors with a soldering iron. :-)

Thanks for helping.

Regards,
David

ron_van_sommeren
07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Heat wire with soldering iron on (real) Aspirin to remove insulation. Nasty fumes.

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron

dbo
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Heat wire with soldering iron on (real) Aspirin to remove insulation. Nasty fumes.

Hallo Ron,

You mean that I should put the wires on a tablet of apirin and then heat the wires with a soldering iron.. ?

I see that asparin is a type of acid, so I assume heating will create some type of aggresive acid to dissolve the coating. Is this correct?

Thanks, this idea is usefull.

Regards,
David

Hughes500Bob
07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I "believe" that soaking the wire end in alcohol will disolve the shellac.

ron_van_sommeren
07-19-2008, 11:23 AM
... You mean that I should put the wires on a tablet of apirin and then heat the wires with a soldering iron.. ? ...Correct. ... I see that asparin is a type of acid, so I assume heating will create some type of aggresive acid to dissolve the coating. Is this correct? ...That would be my guess too.
More tips and tricks, may save you from frying your controller:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Prettig weekend ;) Ron