PDA

View Full Version : Accident Report

C140
07-14-2008, 04:23 PM
NTSB Identification*: CAPVT0008
Accident Occurred Sunday, July 13, 2008 in Madtown, CA
Aircraft: Great Planes Flatana
Injuries: 1 Uninjured

The pilot of the GP Flatana was peforming mild aerobatics at a high alititude above the runway to allow a large flock of birds to go by underneath. As the birds passed, the pilot initiated a large split S to drop down to a lower altitude. As the pilot initiated the pull out, he "lost all pitch control of the aircraft," resulting in a dive from several hundred feet into the hard surface of the runway, causing foam to fly as far as 25 yards from the initial point of impact. Inspection of the wreckage revealed the elevator control had broken free of the control surface.

The NTSB determines the probable cause(s) of the accident as follows: The failure of the elevator control horn resulted in loss of pitch control on pull out, thus causing an uncontrolled dive into terrain. *Not a real NTSB Report

JGMM_BC
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Re: NTSB report Identification: CAPVT0008

Good concise report. Recommend that the cause of the point of failure be investigated to minimize further occurrences.:Q;-)

John:tc::D

BTW, I am sorry your plane crashed...

NTSB Identification: CAPVT0008
Accident Occurred Sunday, July 13, 2008 in Madtown, CA
Aircraft: Great Planes Flatana
Injuries: 1 Uninjured

The pilot of the GP Flatana was peforming mild aerobatics at a high alititude above the runway to allow a large flock of birds to go by underneath. As the birds passed, the pilot initiated a large split S to drop down to a lower altitude. As the pilot initiated the pull out, he "lost all pitch control of the aircraft," resulting in a dive from several hundred feet into the hard surface of the runway, causing foam to fly as far as 25 yards from the initial point of impact. Inspection of the wreckage revealed the elevator control had broken free of the control surface.

The NTSB determines the probable cause(s) of the accident as follows: The failure of the elevator control horn resulted in loss of pitch control on pull out, thus causing an uncontrolled dive into terrain.

gzsfrk
07-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Ouch--so sorry to hear that, C&B. Same thing happened to me (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505) while flying my Stryker a little over a month ago. On the bright side, I'm extremely thorough with my clevis checks during pre-flights nowadays. :)

gzsfrk
07-14-2008, 04:32 PM
By the way, were all the electrics salvageable?

C140
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
All of the electronics were salvagable, and while the plane was totaled, I didn't even break the prop. The foam was what caused the control horn to fail. It was still glued in tight, but it pulled the foam around it out of the elevator

Rabbitcreekok
07-15-2008, 05:01 AM
You must have missed the last line of the NTSB report.

"Root cause of the accident was failure of the pilot to perform adequate preflight inspection of aircraft."

NTSB always finds a way to lay the blame on the pilot.

Sorry about the plane. Not much left to repair.:(

C140
07-15-2008, 04:26 PM
NTSB always finds a way to lay the blame on the pilot.

It sure seems like it. Here are the last lines of a few I was reading.

The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane while parked on the ramp (????).

The pilot's failure to properly secure the airplane.

The pilot's improper decision to take off from an inadequate field after a forced landing.

Anyway, at least I got a bunch of carbon fiber out of the crash, that plane was practically a solid chunk of it.

gzsfrk
07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Anyway, at least I got a bunch of carbon fiber out of the crash, that plane was practically a solid chunk of it.

Is it wrong that, when my brother crashed his Pitts bipe and I crashed my Predator RQ-1L into a tree, I was actually somewhat disappointed when I saw that they were repairable and I wasn't going to have a bunch of salvage parts to play around with? :)

C140
07-16-2008, 01:36 AM
The thought did cross my mind when I serveyed the damage, that it might be repairable, and I wouldn't have stuff to play with.

birdDog
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Sorry about the crash. I had the same problem with mine. I have wiped out two Flatanas. Look at the Maverick build thread if the Foamies section. Excellent planes, same cost and fly five to ten times better with the salvage electronics!