PDA

View Full Version : The crashes from July 5th, 2008

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Well kids, here are the long awaited pictures from my nose-in's on Saturday, July 5, 2008. Any thoughts on repairs to the Zero are welcome.

The P-47 has a new plane enroute to me now.

rea59
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Just add balsa/thin ply and CA. Done it many times.

Grasshopper
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
On the Zero, I would make a larger ply plate that fits around the perimeter of the nose and covers the broken pieces. Cut some large holes for air in it and epoxy it in place. Then re mount your motor. For the cowl, fill the holes with 5 minute epoxy, let dry, sand it smooth, re paint and re drill the holes for your screws to mount it. You might also have to glue some new pieces in place for the screws to go in if it tore them out. It's not that bad and should be able to be fixed with out even knowing it ever crashed.

I tore up the cowl on my Zero when the first motor came apart. It was a lot worse than yours and went back with epoxy and paint.

John Seidelman
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Boy Howdy you shure did a good job on that one bud. Sorry to say I don't see much left to do with that one.

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
On the Zero, I would make a larger ply plate that fits around the perimeter of the nose and covers the broken pieces. Cut some large holes for air in it and epoxy it in place. Then re mount your motor. For the cowl, fill the holes with 5 minute epoxy, let dry, sand it smooth, re paint and re drill the holes for your screws to mount it. You might also have to glue some new pieces in place for the screws to go in if it tore them out. It's not that bad and should be able to be fixed with out even knowing it ever crashed.

I tore up the cowl on my Zero when the first motor came apart. It was a lot worse than yours and went back with epoxy and paint.

So I don't have to put it where the old one tore out, just epoxy it to the front? That seems easy enough. 1/8th inch sound right?

The cowl, I think, might be ok. The pics look worse than the real damage.....

I hope to get it done before November. I just wish I knew why I had no control. It flew so well on the maiden.

As for the P-47, well, see what I meant whenI said it was crushed in places?

Grasshopper
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
So I don't have to put it where the old one tore out, just epoxy it to the front? That seems easy enough. 1/8th inch sound right?

The cowl, I think, might be ok. The pics look worse than the real damage.....

I hope to get it done before November. I just wish I knew why I had no control. It flew so well on the maiden.

As for the P-47, well, see what I meant whenI said it was crushed in places?

You can use 3/32" ply if you have it. It doesn't need to go back just like it was. You'll just have to space your motor out so the prop clears the cowl and you're good.

As for the P-47....yeah, I'd wait on the new one.:(

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
You can use 3/32" ply if you have it. It doesn't need to go back just like it was. You'll just have to space your motor out so the prop clears the cowl and you're good.

As for the P-47....yeah, I'd wait on the new one.:(

I have both 3/32 and 1/8th. Actually I have from 1/64th on up, I think.

Space the motor out? Not sure I understand this. My worry is it will be pushed out too far......

So, from a cursory glance, still think I should box her (P-47) and wait?

Grasshopper
07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
The motor should be in the exact location as the old mount if you use the same thickness of ply. The ply you had on it was glued to the same surface correct?

As for the P-47, yes, I'd box it and look at it later. You never know when you might want to try repairing and glassing one or need parts off it for the new one.

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
The motor should be in the exact location as the old mount if you use the same thickness of ply. The ply you had on it was glued to the same surface correct?

As for the P-47, yes, I'd box it and look at it later. You never know when you might want to try repairing and glassing one or need parts off it for the new one.

That's a good point; if I use the same thickness as the previous motor mount, it will be in the same place.

My preliminary plan is to trace out the shape of the nose, cut an oval just slightly smaller, find the center, determine motor mount location, drill lightening holes around that point, then epoxy the ply plate to what is left of the nose.

Do I need any reinforcement, or should it be strong enough epoxied to the balsa left on the perimeter?

Grasshopper
07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
That sounds like a plan. It should be strong enough without reinforcements. If I remember correctly, that's plywood you'll be gluing to not balsa so it will actually be stronger than it was stock.

Voyager2lcats
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Kev, it's a good thing you ordered a new P-47; your original looks like Humpty-Dumpty after his fall!:( Ouch that hurt. I repaired the aileron on mine today. Next step is to get the y-harness, servos, and ESC.:)

P.S. I guess you'll be keeping the wings as a spare?;)

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Kev, it's a good thing you ordered a new P-47; your original looks like Humpty-Dumpty after his fall!:( Ouch that hurt. I repaired the aileron on mine today. Next step is to get the y-harness, servos, and ESC.:)

P.S. I guess you'll be keeping the wings as a spare?;)

Yep. I plan on using the first wing when the new fuse is delivered. I'll keep the new wing as a spare. The original was not damaged, so no need to have to outfit a new one.

If I can figure out a way to safely remove the horizontal stab, I may remove that too, to have as a spare. And I'll have a spare cockpit/battery hatch.

gfdengine204
07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
I also have a bent motor shaft to fix (well, ok, TWO bent shafts). I figure this way, on the Zero, I was never happy with the battery bay I created, so with the nose wide open I can do a better job on the next one. :)

Voyager2lcats
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
I am no expert, but the Zero certainly looks salvageable. The P-47 could be salvaged, but it would literally be a scratch built fuselage!:eek: I know you don't want to venture in that direction.;) The prop shaft damage is more of a PITA than anything else. Personally I am tired of building and ready to fly.:rolleyes: