PDA

View Full Version : Tri floats on a mini ultra stick

Hostile
07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Been thinking about making Tri floats for my Mini ultra stick. Two small main floats, and one on the tail, like a tail dragger. Anyone ever seen this done. Is there even a thing. I'm thinking it would be lighter, maybe even easier to get off the water. What ya think?

Hostile
07-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Anyone?
Thoughts??
Opinions???
????

Guess I'll let you know how it turns out. :<:

WingingIt74
07-22-2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.sopwith-aeroplane.com/images/carrier_pigeon.jpg
http://www.sopwith-aeroplane.com/CAD_Page.html

Hostile
07-22-2008, 04:45 AM
http://www.sopwith-aeroplane.com/images/sop_baby_2.jpg
Instead of that big pod on the tail. One could use a fin of sorts, with a small float at the end. All it would need to do is hold up the tail. The front floats would be smaller. The tail should come out of the water after just a few feet. Steer like any tail dragger after that. Since the front floats in the water are smaller, it should also have less water tension. Less weight. ????

When I get more time, theres a pond in my front yard ready to test this theory. Thought of using my MUS for this, but will maybe try an E-Flite 25 Piper Cub.
The little mini is just perfect the way it is.
Edit: But you never know?

FlyingMonkey
07-22-2008, 05:13 AM
There's one of those planes with the tri floats hanging at the Pensacola NAS museum, right over the lobby.

John Seidelman
07-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Or you might think about a ski for snow type skiing and like mentioned it should come out of the water real soon after full throttle.

Hostile
07-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Or you might think about a ski for snow type skiing and like mentioned it should come out of the water real soon after full throttle.

Thats the idea, but it would have to be just big enough to hold the tail out of the water. (Rough drawing) A hydrofoil something like this should work.
:cool:

Hostile
07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
There's one of those planes with the tri floats hanging at the Pensacola NAS museum, right over the lobby.

Bet its a site. Some real craftsmanship in the old planes. :ws:

FlyingMonkey
07-22-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.airdaleamericanhistory.com/sitebuilder/images/060605_014_Naval_Aviation_Museum_Pensacola-525x345.jpg

Elfwreck
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey now,
Back in the Lazy Bee days a few years ago Andy Clancy had a design for just such floats. Two fair sized ones for the mains ans a much smaller onne for the tail. I tried building a set and they worked very well. One thing I especially liked about them was the ground er, water control I had. Turn the rudder and the rear float turned with it, really helped with taxying.

I seem to remember a thing in M.A.N. about building a foam set for the Hobby People "Blue Max" as well. If yoiu get these sized right I'd prolly be interested in a set myself, they'd look good on my MUS (see avatar).
RobII

Hostile
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Having dug through the interweb, I've not found a whole lot of anything on triple float set ups. Wished I could find more, but guess I'm traveling down a lonely road? Would love to see these floats from Andy Clancy?

It looks like GWS floats cut off just behind the step will work for the main floats. Also been thinking on the tail float. The idea I had at first may be to complicated to get right. So I had a brain storm, or fizzle. :roll:
I've thought of using a foam ball, sanded a little to get the shape I need.
Then cut a slit for the tail wheel to slide into it, then use a tooth pix to pin it on the tail wheel. That way it turns with the tail wheel, and can be removed for ROG take offs
The only problem I've not yet figured out is the front support of the main floats. Thinking that two wires from the top of the main gear struts, to the front of the floats should keep things straight. Also thought of using a second set of gear struts, but fear they may be to heavy up front. Going to weigh my options. Float test in my pond. ect. ect.
When I have a little more time, I'll try to post up some pics of what I've come up with. Seems like it's going to work out just fine. :ws:

Thanks for your reply! ;-)