PDA

View Full Version : Latest foamie experiment...

k-vette
01-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Here's my latest foamie experiment. I didn't do any calculating or anything for the wings and CG, just used the TLAR (that looks about right...) method. It doesn't have a cowl yet because I wanted to see if it flew first, turns out it does. It's so small you can hardly see the front anyways. With a gws ips and 2s 300 mah it can roll, loop, and fly inverted. The auw is less than five ounces. I didn't use light servos or anything, so it could probably be built under 4 ounces. That would really help the power. There's enough, but it's not overpowered like the rest of the fleet. It's made from 3mm depron and two carbon rods, one down the fuselage and the other in the wing. The fuse is a single piece of depron and was hand formed with a heat gun. WS is approx 19.25 inches.
http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=foamie2nj.jpg

folker
01-14-2006, 04:08 AM
i like it

jim

nicoflyer
01-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi,

Nice job.

Can anyone tell me how to form Depron with heat gun. Eg, Fuse or wing.

Thanks
Angelo

hoppy
01-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Using a heat gun is almost impossible. The softening temperature and the melting temperture are so close together that it is very easy to melt the surface. It can be done using a form to bend the depron around but it is very tricky trying to get it hot enough that it will bend and stay bent without causing the surface to melt. Covering the convex side of the depron with tape helps to keep it from cracking.

I did some experiments using the kitchen oven. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2860&highlight=depron+heating+oven

So far, this is the best method...the ony problem being making the mold to wrap the depron around and the size limitations of the oven. I plan to make a fuselage in sections and then glue them together.

k-vette
01-24-2006, 01:21 AM
I use a heat gun when forming depron, but the temp it needs to bend and the melting temp are close. It takes a little practice, but it can be done. As long as you take some time and don't try to rush the process it works fine. Slowly and evenly heat up the depron and curve it into whatever shape you want. Using some sort of form as a base for the shape makes it easier. If you try and bend it a little too soon and creases show up, don't worry too much about it. Just run the heat gun over it carefully and they'll disappear.;) Just try it on a scrap piece sometime.

daughtry50
01-24-2006, 03:18 AM
I put undercamber in some of my wings by scoring the bottom of the wing. I use a dremel tool with a 1/8" routing bit. I clamp a straight edge over the wing to give me something to follow with the dremel. I cut the grooves about 1/3 of the thickness of the depron and about 1 inch apart. I too, have had trouble heating and bending, but I'm getting better as I practice.