PDA

View Full Version : MVR's Albatros D.II

barmonkey
07-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Hello fellow WWI warbird nuts!
I have been researching the Albatros fighters for quite some time for a future build, and have decided to start with an Albatros D.II due to it's increased wing area over the sesquiplane D.III, D.V and D.Va. (Read that as: It'll probably come out heavy, so the lower wing loading will be a godsend!) I have on hand a 36" short kit from AerodromeRC and recently acquired a 24" Sterling kit BTW.

One good thing is there wasn't much decoration being applied during the initial release of the D.II, so 1) Paint detailing should not be too cumbersome, and 2) I shouldn't have too much trouble deciding on a subject....WRONG! You see, I have this terrible habit of making the easy difficult. Doing the research is a big part of my project...the more I learn, the more I want to know...which finally brings me to my point...

What did Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen's (A.K.A. "Red Baron") Albatros D.II look like? For those of you who are tired of the RED DR.1's, I am certain there was no RED on this plane! Also, wouldn't it be nice to model a plane which helped him become famous (16 victories) rather than the aircraft that killed him.

The only photo I have seen shows him standing in front of a D.II with a group. This particular aircraft clearly shows a thin white ring close to the spinner. There seems to be a consensus that there were no other personal markings. Other issues I have from what I have read:

EDIT:
Figured I would update my original post...I stated that MVR had 16 victories in the D.II...that was with Jasta 2. He had six more with Jasta 11, totaling 22 victories in the D.II. While with Jasta 11, he had 24 victories in the D.III plus one more with JG1. Also with JG1, he had 8 victories in the D.V....That's 55 of his 80 confirmed victories in Albatros scouts! The remainder were 6 in Halberstadt D.II, 2 in Fokker F.I (Pre-production Dr.1) and 17 in the Dr.I.

degreen60
07-19-2008, 02:30 PM

2) The upper surface wing camo was a Brown/Green/Brown with a sky blue under side...Yet another states that the upper wing was Pale green/Dark Olive Green/Rust Brown.

At any rate, If anyone has any info on this topic...please feel free to contribute...

The paints used at that time, even into the 30s and maybe later were so unstable that 2 planes painted from the same sourse probably did not look the same color after a few months on the front line. You just need to age the plane and it will probably be close enough. Paint oil streaks and some mud on it. I have found if you want something to look real from a few feet, take water based black paint(I have used brown too), thin it about 90%, add a few drops of liquid soap, coat the whole plane with it. It will make the plane look dirty as it would after a flight.

degreen60
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
One of my books says colors of the lozenge designs colors were differant between suppliers, that is, orange could be ochre or beige depending on the supplier. Perhaps the covering on the DII was the same way. One book says the camouflage on the DII is dark purple, dark green, another book says the purple is kahki on the DII.

barmonkey
07-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Fortunately, I won't have to deal with lozenge on the D.II :) As far as purple or mauve goes...I am pretty sure the change didn't occur until the D.II's were out of production. They switched the brown to mauve supposedly because the green/brown patterns could be mistaken for the French fighters' camo.

7car7
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I have on hand a 36" short kit from AerodromeRC and recently acquired a 24" Sterling kit BTW.

Look forward to a build thread on those, especially the 36", since that's the one I'd choose. I wouldn't mind doing a DII also, for the exact same reasons.

barmonkey
07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah I am looking forward to a build thread too :D

I have been following your work on that D.V...have the same one...pretty much just put it back in the box after I examined it...seemed easier to go from scratch. I was originally drawn to the D.III, but the extra wing area was definately the clincher for me. I also have a SPAD VII from AerodromeRC and a SPAD XIII from Manzano...the SPAD VII may make it to the building board first.

barmonkey
07-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Figured I would update my original post...I stated that MVR had 16 victories in the D.II...that was with Jasta 2. He had six more with Jasta 11, totaling 22 victories in the D.II. While with Jasta 11, he had 24 victories in the D.III plus one more with JG1. Also with JG1, he had 8 victories in the D.V....That's 55 of his 80 confirmed victories in Albatros scouts! The remainder were 6 in Halberstadt D.II, 2 in Fokker F.I (Pre-production Dr.1) and 17 in the Dr.I.

scalercflyer
08-04-2008, 03:40 AM
barmonkey and Boys. I too have the Comet kit. :D I also plan to convert her to RC. :) But first I would like some opinions about equipment. ???? I think a 700 mah 2C lipol should suffice for battery. Some 5 once servos are also called for here. My ever trusty BERG 4ch (I don't use any other RX) would give guidance along with a small CD rom style motor and Futaba 7C computer radio. My other choice would be a 2.4mhz system from the small Hobby zone micro Cessna 210 Centurion. I understand you can buy the RX/servo brick for this plane for about $60.00. This system would be the ultimate setup. :cool: Opinions please Boys. Martin

barmonkey
08-04-2008, 04:51 AM
looks like a good set-up...what servos do you plan to use? (you just put "Oz" in your post)

degreen60
08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
barmonkey and Boys. I too have the Comet kit. :D I also plan to convert her to RC. :cool: Opinions please Boys. Martin

Do you have a Comet Superstars kit? If it is then it should fly nice on the setup I have in my Kaven Albatros, 2s lipo, 2410-08 brushless, 9x7 prop or my Dare MS-L model, 2s lipo, 2410-08 brushless, and 8x6 prop. If it is the smaller model then you can use a smaller motor and prop probably like is in my Jenny, 2s lipo, AX-2306N brushless, and 7x6 prop.

scalercflyer
08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Sorry barmonkey! :o I fixed the post. I will be using the 5 once servos courtesy of hobby city. Maybe I might spring for some lighter ones. degreen, yes it is the comet superstar kit. I bought it for $15.00 a while ago. Been saving it for that special project. I think it will only be 3 channels. Of course I haven't studied the plans to see if airlerons are possible for the fourth. What do you think? Martin

degreen60
08-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I just found out about the Comet Superstar kits last week. An Albatros just sold on ebay but I already have a Kavan Albatros. I am going to watch and see if I can find some other WW1 superstar kits. Does the paper work in your kit show what other WW1 planes they made? I know they made a DR1 triplane.

scalercflyer
08-05-2008, 02:58 AM
My bad! :o I forgot to mention I have the SE5a that comet superstar made too. :D Same thing planned for both. I am, however, partial to the Albatros. Martin

WWI Ace
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Imagine that!! Martin partial to a German plane!! As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise surprise!!" Recruiter took oldest boy today. He will fly out to boot camp tomorrow. Mom is a little depressed but she'll be okay. Steve