PDA

View Full Version : Completely Unbelievable!!!

SlapShot
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I've never posted a crash story before, mostly because I'm too mad to type. I've been flying RC for almost 20 years now, and up until today, I've never had this kind of luck before, so I have to tell the story:rolleyes:
So the story goes like this: I was flying my Ultra-Stick 25e today in the balmy Chicago summer sun (& humidity) and had just taken off and rolled inverted. I was flying this way and decided to push from the inverted to vertical again, and as I did so, my Thunder Power 4200 mah battery chose this moment to depart from the aircraft. All I saw was the battery hatch go, and then I had NO controls on an inverted aircraft. :eek: I was wiggling both sticks and had no control. Argh! SO, all I could do is helplessly watch the seemingly inevitable. The Stick flew in a lazy circle, in almost level flight. It slowly decended across a road, made a 180 degree turn and flew (still inverted mind you) into a tall clump of grass. I literally ran the 100 yards or so to the plane, dripping with sweat, and after a thorough inspection, the only damage was a broken APC prop. I am still grinning like a fool........:D I found the battery, and it is not so hot, but no biggie there, I have another. I still keep looking it over, but no damage. Well, that was my "R/C Mulligan" as I guarantee this will never hapeen to me again. And, I will come up with a much better battery retention device.....

Don Sims
07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Great story! I Velcro all my batteries in planes and use Velcro straps as extra insurance on the larger 4s and 5s packs.

SlapShot
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Don, I had velcro on the battery, but no strap. That will be changed.....

firemanbill
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
As far as crash stories go that one is pretty cool!:cool::D

Glad the plane wasn't tore up! That's the kind of crash we'd all like to have.;-)

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 12:02 AM
SlapShot,

Great to hear no damage. Wish I could say the same happened a little west of you.

Found out my instructor lost hit 50cc Pitts Bipe today. I wasn't there. It's in bad shape.....

He apparently had no control whatsoever, and is not sure why.

2 weeks ago he lost a Top Flite P-47.....was shot down by another TX that was turned on....rough month for him.

Again, great to hear you got a "mulligan".....

High Fives from the west!

SlapShot
07-21-2008, 12:19 AM
gfdengine204, thanks man! BTW, do you fly at Silver Springs? I am about 20 mins from you, might come down for a visit some Sunday....

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 01:02 AM
gfdengine204, thanks man! BTW, do you fly at Silver Springs? I am about 20 mins from you, might come down for a visit some Sunday....

Slap,

No, I fly in Leland, just west of Somonauk. However, that field's days are numbered. We have a new field that is ready to go approximately 5 miles south of Sandwich (convenient to me, for sure!). You would be welcome to come out and fly with us. It is a private field, but I bet I know someone that can get you in. ;)

May I ask where you fly?

One of the members of my club also flies at Silver Springs; I have yet to fly out there.

ministeve2003
07-21-2008, 01:35 AM
hehe.

first time I saw a plane loose a battery like that was on my buddys supercub (battery box on bottom), dropping battery from 75ft up... which the battery almost hit him in the head (landing about 2feet in front of him), plane floated to a perfect landing... no velcro holding anything...

also the only time I've seen a deans connector easy to disconnect, I flew an estarter who,s battery decided to fall out of my jury-rigged battery box (estarters have too small battery slots), I watched the plane glide to a almost perfect landing after making a 180 turn... missing a few cars and landing on soft grass in buddys front yard...

SK

ministeve2003
07-21-2008, 01:36 AM
SlapShot,

Great to hear no damage. Wish I could say the same happened a little west of you.

Found out my instructor lost hit 50cc Pitts Bipe today. I wasn't there. It's in bad shape.....

He apparently had no control whatsoever, and is not sure why.

2 weeks ago he lost a Top Flite P-47.....was shot down by another TX that was turned on....rough month for him.

Again, great to hear you got a "mulligan".....

High Fives from the west!

bet he buys a 2.4ghz pretty quick now...lol
sk

Crash Test Dummy
07-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Slapshot,

Great story!! I love a happy ending!! Whare do you fly?? I'm in Sugar Grove.

CTD

Lieutenant Loughead
07-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Sweet! What of the battery hatch? Did you lose it? Did you find it?

Did you figure out why it "let go" (so that it doesn't happen again)?

:D

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 03:17 AM
bet he buys a 2.4ghz pretty quick now...lol
sk

I wouldn't bet so fast......he's pretty loyal to his Futaba 72MHz stuff.....

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Slapshot,

Great story!! I love a happy ending!! Whare do you fly?? I'm in Sugar Grove.

CTD

Oh sure, ya won't come fly with me...... ;)

Crash Test Dummy
07-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Oh sure, ya won't come fly with me...... ;)

Ha, HA, HA, I could say the same to you!! Randy sent me a message saying they were going to be flying at the Gym Saturday. Did you go? I got the message too late to make plans. However I did have a great time the last time I went. It was good to also meet you in person. It's always cool to meet another Wattflyer/Watthead.

CTD

John Seidelman
07-21-2008, 03:38 AM

All of a sudden we are getting more in the area. Welcome from Oswego

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Ha, HA, HA, I could say the same to you!! Randy sent me a message saying they were going to be flying at the Gym Saturday. Did you go? I got the message too late to make plans. However I did have a great time the last time I went. It was good to also meet you in person. It's always cool to meet another Wattflyer/Watthead.

CTD

No I missed it. Had family plans in Oswego......speaking of....

All of a sudden we are getting more in the area. Welcome from Oswego
Yep John we is multiplying like bunnies! ;)

SlapShot
07-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Crash Test Dummy and John, I fly primarily around the area. Some up at Pratt Wayne Woods just north of the DuPage Airport, but mostly in a field behind Marmion Academy on Butterfield Road, just west of Farnsworth. But, I am always looking for a better place. Like I was telling gfdengine204, the $300+ dollar dues at the St Charles Club are too steep for me, even if they do have a great runway......for jets!

Crash Test Dummy
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Slap Shot,

I hear ya!! $300.00 is a bit steep. We fly at the park on Main St [Bataiva] just east of Fabian on Sunday mornings. We usually meet around 7 to 8 AM and fly until 10 or 10:30.

CTD

gfdengine204
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Slap Shot,

I hear ya!! $300.00 is a bit steep. We fly at the park on Main St [Bataiva] just east of Fabian on Sunday mornings. We usually meet around 7 to 8 AM and fly until 10 or 10:30.

CTD

Is that the ball fields across from the high school? Tri-Cities is my old stompin' grounds (and where the name GFD comes from ;)).

Lieutenant Loughead
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
But, I am always looking for a better place. Like I was telling gfdengine204, the $300+ dollar dues at the St Charles Club are too steep for me, even if they do have a great runway......for jets!That's just crazy... I thought the $100 to $150 dues in Tulsa were bad!

Have you guys thought about getting the AMA Park Pilot Program involved? I'm curious to see how well they handle getting a new flying field up and running for park pilots... :o

CHELLIE
07-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Hi Everyone :ws: This Has to be My Favorite, RC Plane Battery Ejection, and it was Caught on Film, the Plane Is Larry3215 BUFY, Big Ugly Foam Yak, Talk about a Nice Free flight Save :D The BUFY Plane is On the second half of the Film, Larry Was not having a very good day That Day ;-) but his planes are still in one piece :Q Take care, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8emvgQTDbU&eurl=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29624&highlight=bufy&page=4

Crash Test Dummy
07-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Is that the ball fields across from the high school? Tri-Cities is my old stompin' grounds (and where the name GFD comes from ;)).
Nope, the park is about 50 yards east of Fabian Parkway on Main St.

Chellie,

That is a good one. Thanks for posting it.

CTD

termite
07-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Off Topic;
We'll be flying at the Hinckley Gym again Aug 23rd 6 till Midnight!

Randy

pvtzemerak
07-24-2008, 04:04 AM
dont get so down man! we all have bad days. consider yourself lucky that you only lost the prop :)
==pvt

Aero Ace Ace
07-25-2008, 01:11 AM
I found an easy way to attach velco straps to the inside of a foam fuse: Dig a groove just deep enough for the strap to lay flush with the surface, lay down the strap where you want it, drop hot glue around the strap, place an old credit card/phone card/etc on top and hold in place while the glue cools. Then put an adhesive velcro piece on top of the card, and the opposite piece of velcro on the battery. My batteries won't budge forward, backward, up or down. The only exception to this was a 100 mph crash.