PDA

View Full Version : A Real Crash & Burn

clyde
07-21-2008, 04:11 AM
I was at a fly-in for Ultralight aircraft yesterday and during the day it was a bit too breezy for them to fly. I had brought my Electro-Telemaster with me and decided to take her up for a spin.
Takeoff was uneventful and I flew for about 15 minutes before attempting to land. I was lining her up with the runway about 100 yards downwind and I had throttled back a bit too much. One wing dipped and I gave it full throttle and attempted to take off and make another approach. This failed and it crashed on a road next to the runway and went into a ditch. My friend went over to get it for me as he was much closer. By the time he got there the ESC was in flames. I had forgotten to cut the throttle after it crashed and it was trying it's best to turn the prop. He blew out the fire and amazingly the prop was ok even though the shaft was bent, The ESC was burnt to a cinder and that was about it, except for the rudder and elevator that came off. This was an easy epoxy job and all I need is a new ESC and a prop adapter.
For less than $60.00 I'll be back in the air. It's a good thing my friend got there soon and put out the fire or it might have spread in the dry grass and my plane and the field might have gone up in flames.
I learned a lesson. Don't try to float a Telemaster in under windy conditions. It needs to have some power so you have complete control until it lands. Also, remember to cut the power after any crash.

pvtzemerak
07-21-2008, 04:23 AM
ouch dude! try putting tinfoild over the wires to cool her down.

John Seidelman
07-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Welcome Clyde from Oswego, more and more from Illinois.