PDA

View Full Version : E-Flite Jenny rudder problem

cliffh
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
I maidened my Jenny yesterday and she flew beautiful, but something was not quite right. She had a strange roll when turned left. After some checking....and 3 landings latter, I discovered that when the rudder is turned full left, the rudder contol horn was hitting the fuselage causing the ENTIRE vertical fin to be pulled left and binding the rudder movement.

I can easily see where this could be causing the rudder breaking problems folks are having with this plane at the bottom of the rudder. This puts a severe pull on the control horn mounting point.

I cut inside corner off the control horn and it no longer hits the fuselage, but now I don't have as much throw since I can't use the inner hole of the horn. I have less than the "low rate" throw.

I'll think of something I guess.

Anyhow, check the rudder control horn on your Jenny and make sure it isn't hitting the fuselage at full throw.

degreen60
07-24-2008, 02:53 AM
You can do as I did and use pull-pull controls and put the horn above the fuselage as the real Jenny had. The rudder is stronger there too.

cliffh
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
You can do as I did and use pull-pull controls and put the horn above the fuselage as the real Jenny had. The rudder is stronger there too.

Yep, that would be a good idea. I will look into doing that.

I should have mentioned that this is appearantly a problem with the supplied parts. I built the plane as shown in the plans. The horn just doesn't clear the fuselage and pulls the rudder badly. I really think this may be the problem with some of the rudders breaking on planes where the pilot says they didn't hit anything.

Either way, the fix is very easy once you turn the plane upside down and look at the control horn as the rudder is moved.

Fly Time
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I was having that problem too, even after adjusting the servo end points from the Tx. To stiffen the tail and stab, I installed bracing wires from the top of the tail fin passing through the horizontal stabilizer about 3/4 of the way to the ends and ending on the underside of the fuselage under the stab. I also reinforced the area around the control horn as it broke on my second flight.