PDA

View Full Version : Beanie EDF Fantrainer

Johnatwork
01-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Spacemanspiff's EDF-64 Fan trainer

I just finished the Beanie Fan trainer with a couple of mods. The first one was the wing span simply added an inch to each tip. Second was the cowl/cockpit where I used the plan for the cowl and added the plexi formed cockpit cover. Thirdly, I figured there would be a lot of turbulence where the EDF blew back on the X of the fuse so I removed the X and added a depron tube from the EDF to the tail. I dont think adding the front intakes (see pic) do anything but add appearance.

I have installed a 1320 3s lipo and a GW/EDF55-300H, two micro servos (Ailerons and stabilizer) connected to a Pixie-20P ESC and an R4P II receiver.

The plane is 25 w/s 26 Fuse and weighs 9.9 oz loaded. Its too damn cold and wet here to go flying yet so cant share those results yet.

It is a very simple build, only 7 pcs in the original plan. My ducting added a couple more. For anyone starting out and interested in EDF, I think this may be a winner. I used gorilla glue for all of it and smacked on a quick coat of Flecto Colors in Plastic Red. This is a mineral spirit based paint but it did not attack the foam at all

I think the main fuse body has bulky looking. Lines but that can easily be changed on another build. The T-Tail seems a bit flexy to me and possibly I should have added a stiffener, but well see. I didnt have any carbon fiber rods on hand so I used a couple of bamboo skewers in the wing and tail. The wing might not be as stiff as carbon rod but I have no experience with carbon rod so Im not certain what the diff would be.
http://www.alexisarts.com/images/EDF Fantrainer1.jpg
http://www.alexisarts.com/images/EDF Fantrainer 2.jpg
http://www.alexisarts.com/images/EDF Fantrainer3.jpg

My hat is off to all of you involved with the WattFlyer Forums. I havent had so much fun since I was a boy (about 55 yrs ago). My wife even thinks its good for me to find a hobby that helps me to unwind. (Boy do I have her trained!!) Depron is a blast to work with, its inexpensive, easy to cut, glue and finish. What a gas Im havin ! Thanks to all of you out there who are willing to share your invaluable experience so unselfishly.
Johnatwork
John Van Doren - Canada

beanie
01-29-2006, 01:40 AM
hey john, that looks awesome. i like the mods you made to the plans. how does she fly? i think i'll add some wing like you did to a future fantrainer. i've had to keep the speed up to keep her from dropping out of the sky. any possibility of posting plans for the mods of my plans?
-beanie

ParkJetsFlyer
01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Beanie!! Welcome Aboard!!

Great Fantrainer John!!

Johnatwork
02-01-2006, 07:59 PM
hey john, that looks awesome. i like the mods you made to the plans. how does she fly? i think i'll add some wing like you did to a future fantrainer. i've had to keep the speed up to keep her from dropping out of the sky. any possibility of posting plans for the mods of my plans?
-beanie
Hey there Beanie,
Welcome to WattFlyer.com.
The mods I did to the FanTrainer were really very simple. I first built the plane from the plan, then decided to just remove most of the "X" structure from the EDF back. I rolled a piece of Depron 2mm to form the exhaust tube, then re-attached what was left of the "X" structure to the outside of the tube. It didn't look right to me so I formed another tube,Depron 2mm, then cut it into four pieces lengthwise. These I formed to fit to the fuselage. On the next one I will make this tube full length right from the get go. The canopy was made from light plexi vacume formed over a plug I made from a piece of spruce. The rest is really as per the plans.
I haven't flown it yet cause the winds have been gusting up to 30 mph. and its been really wet here. This thing went together so fast that I didn't take any pictures as I progressed. It really is a simple build.
John

pezzer2003
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
G'day John,
Great mod, looks great. Did you get a maiden? and does the extra inch on the wing help?
Where did you get the Wattflyer logo from.
I have tryed to modify one to put on some of my aircraft but my computer drawing skill suck...
PEZ

Johnatwork
02-23-2006, 11:42 PM
G'day John,
Great mod, looks great. Did you get a maiden? and does the extra inch on the wing help?
Where did you get the Wattflyer logo from.
I have tryed to modify one to put on some of my aircraft but my computer drawing skill suck...
PEZ
Hi Pez,
I took the WattFlyer logo from this site into my computor and just printed it. I think I actually put it into Corell Draw and made it a bit smaller. Then I just cut it out with the exacto knife and taped it to the wing. Then applied paint with a short bristled brush (sort of stenciled it on). It did take a few minutes to cut it all out, but I can use the paper stencil over and over for quite a while.
Haven't flown it yet cause it's just too cold here for me yet. Will report once I've had a chance to fly it.
John