PDA

View Full Version : Light Covering?

eran_k
01-15-2006, 08:50 AM
I plan to convert a Sig Somthin' Extra to electric, it's a kit so i hope to be able to shave some Ounces from it.
my questions are:

how much covering do i need for a plane that size if i'm going to cover it in white with red a blur trim. (red on the forward 1/3 of the wing, blue on the fuse top & turtle deck).

should i use somting like solite\microlite or it's too week for this size plane? i think these materials are 1/3 of the regular covering material.

thanks
Eran

Sky Sharkster
01-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi Eran, regarding the covering for the "Somthin' Extra", for a plane that size I would recommend one of the "full strength" coverings like Monokote, Coverite or Ultracote. Microlite or Solite just doesn't add the torsional rigidity needed for a model this size and the couple of ounces more won't make much difference.
I checked the SIG website and the "Somthin' Extra" is listed as having 614 square inches of wing area. This is about 4-1/2 square feet, but remember that is just the top of the wing, to cover the entire wing you'll need about 9-10 square feet of material. Disregarding the rest of the plane for a moment, this would be close to a full roll of covering material. Most covering rolls are 26-28 inches wide and 6 feet long. This comes to between 12 and 14 square feet of material per roll. So I would suggest 1 roll each of the two basic colors (red and white) and a trim sheet for the blue.
Hope this helps!
Ron

eran_k
01-16-2006, 04:31 AM
It sure does!
thanks