PDA

View Full Version : Raining batteries

Toddsl
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
About two weeks ago a friend of mine and myself were flying. He was flying his Parkzone BL cub and me a Parkzone Decathlon. As I made a low pass I heard a thud on the ground about 20 feet to my right. At first it didn't really occur to me this may have been a problem. I even thought for a brief second that it was very large bird droppings or perhaps someone had thrown a rock to get my attention.(both completly absurd) Within the next 30 seconds my battery died and I landed. Upon starting to look at the world around me again I saw my friend looking over his crumpled heap of a plane. Then the light went on and sure enough the thud I heard was his battery pack hitting the ground. I also found one of his prop blades near the battery. His plane came to rest about 200 ft away. We suspect his battery fell out and was hanging by the wires until it swang foward and broke off one of his prop blades before departing the aircraft. I suspect one of the main rules of R/C was broken. Don't fly over someones head. Three of us had been standing together flying but over the course of a few mins. we scattered across the field. Being new to r/c I find I become very focused on the plane with little or no attention to my surroundings. Hopefully as this will improve as my skills improve.

rcproptester
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Planes tend to fly poorly without any electrons to power up the controls....

Also, I get REALLY nervous whenever anyone flies over my head....

FlyingMonkey
07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Also, I get REALLY nervous whenever anyone flies over my head....

Like Mr. Nobles? :D

firemanbill
07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
About two weeks ago a friend of mine and myself were flying. He was flying his Parkzone BL cub and me a Parkzone Decathlon. As I made a low pass I heard a thud on the ground about 20 feet to my right. At first it didn't really occur to me this may have been a problem. I even thought for a brief second that it was very large bird droppings or perhaps someone had thrown a rock to get my attention.(both completly absurd) Within the next 30 seconds my battery died and I landed. Upon starting to look at the world around me again I saw my friend looking over his crumpled heap of a plane. Then the light went on and sure enough the thud I heard was his battery pack hitting the ground. I also found one of his prop blades near the battery. His plane came to rest about 200 ft away. We suspect his battery fell out and was hanging by the wires until it swang foward and broke off one of his prop blades before departing the aircraft. I suspect one of the main rules of R/C was broken. Don't fly over someones head. Three of us had been standing together flying but over the course of a few mins. we scattered across the field. Being new to r/c I find I become very focused on the plane with little or no attention to my surroundings. Hopefully as this will improve as my skills improve.

Yikes! Not good. Sounds like you learned the most valuable lesson, don't fly over anyone, second lesson, Secure those batteries!

I have had a battery depart my aircraft once but the deans connector held firm and I was able to land it, ugly, but I still got it down in one piece.

rcproptester
08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Like Mr. Nobles? :D
actually, I meant you;-):D

FlyingMonkey
08-01-2008, 12:28 AM
As if I can fly long enough for it to gain the altitude needed to be considered "over your heads"