PDA

View Full Version : Want Upgrade my SuperStar to a outrunner

lennyshotgun
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi all
I'm new to the hobby and have had like 6 flights (with instructor of course) - We finally got some good weather here on the West coast and I got some stick time on my Hobbico Super star.
Included motor is kinda weak, and the 5 minute flights don't leave a lot of flight time - so I want to change the motor to something with more umph and the batterys to li-poli.
The plane weighs a little more then 3 pounds and the advise I've gotten is to chose a motor that is made to handle a little more - 3s on the battery (If I want 15 - 20 minutes in the air would 3S2P do it?)
I'm using a 9/6 prop now and there is about 1 1/2 inchs clearance from the ground standing still so I prob don't want to go much bigger on the prop.
The included motor mounts on 2 Horrizontal beams - would I mount on them with an outrunner or would I need to adapt a firewall mount. Do mounts come with or bought as an extra?
Thanks for all advise - I'm hooked.
Lenny

Don Sims
01-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Lenny, Carlos has had a lot of good luck with your plane by going geared with an Endoplasm or Magnetic Mayhem motor. I like the larger Axis in my larger planes.
Don

lennyshotgun
01-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Don
Sorry I don't know Carlos or what it means to go geared with an Endoplasm or Magnetic Mayhem motor.
Please explain
Lenny

Don Sims
01-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Sure Lenny. Adding a gear system to your motor allows you to use a larger prop or increase your current systems RPM thus increasing the performance of your motor. Both the motors that I mentioned are brushed replacements for your motor and they as well as gear systems are sold by Tower Hobbies. Carlos is one of the members here who has done a lot of work finding optimum systems for your plane, he's also very cost conscious. I'll see if I can find a link to one of his threads.
Don

Don Sims
01-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Carlos goes by guapoman2000 here at WF and here's a link where he talks about that system that he uses: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3348
Hope this helps more!!

AEAJR
01-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi all
I'm new to the hobby and have had like 6 flights (with instructor of course) - We finally got some good weather here on the West coast and I got some stick time on my Hobbico Super star.
Included motor is kinda weak, and the 5 minute flights don't leave a lot of flight time - so I want to change the motor to something with more umph and the batterys to li-poli.
The plane weighs a little more then 3 pounds and the advise I've gotten is to chose a motor that is made to handle a little more - 3s on the battery (If I want 15 - 20 minutes in the air would 3S2P do it?)
I'm using a 9/6 prop now and there is about 1 1/2 inchs clearance from the ground standing still so I prob don't want to go much bigger on the prop.
The included motor mounts on 2 Horrizontal beams - would I mount on them with an outrunner or would I need to adapt a firewall mount. Do mounts come with or bought as an extra?
Thanks for all advise - I'm hooked.
Lenny

You can do this in stages and manage your costs while you see the benefit of each step.

1) your plane comes with a 7 cell 8.4V 2100 mah NICD pack. Right? That weights about 13 ounces.

Your plan is for a 3S2P lipo. Say somethign like these Thunder power packs.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderpower.htm 3S2Pwould give you about 4000 mah capacity adn 11.1V power.

Or these 3 cell 3300 mah packs from Polyquest
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/polyquest.htm

So, why not do that first with the motor you have today. Will the speed control handle 10 cells or 3 lipos?

That would be a big power boost, a drop of about 5 ounces and double the capacity. In fact you could start with just on 3S of these packs and see how that does. Still a big power boost but about the same capacity but you drop aobut 9 ounces. That is a lot!

So, step one is boost power and cut weight - see how you do with the motor you have.

Now you have the Lipoly pack (s) and the Lipoly charger. An investment of about $200 - for one charger for 2 3S packs.

Fly it and see how it does. Should be a BIG difference.

You can go to the brushless as a next step. If you want to go Lipo, I would do this first and run your current motor/speed control. See how it feels.

lennyshotgun
01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks - I just flew it today with a 3s and wow - what a dif - cost me 40 bucks for the controler for Lipo but it made a huge improvement and since replacement motors are only 12.99 I'll just replace when needed and stay with the brushed for now.
Thanks for the advise, just ordered a 4000 :)
Lenny

AEAJR
01-20-2006, 09:28 PM
That speed 600 motor should be fine with 11.1V. I would not be concerned. Unless it is coming down very hot you should be fine. If it is hot, see about making more cooling air available for the motor.

Good luck with it.

AEAJR
01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I fly a Furaba 9CH for sailplanes. The original 9CH, not the new Super. Works fine, but if you have the money, the 9303 is probably the better choice.

I don't fly Helis so can't help you there.