PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Intruder...Down!

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Well the wife and I hit the lake and did a little flying. The Intruder was the first thing I put in the air. I was having a blast when a small gust made her bank to the left...right behind one of the biggest trees I'd ever seen. My wife had a visual and I wasn't too worried because I was trusting my inputs, not what my eyes couldn't see. But when she never came back around the tree, I knew I was in trouble. I yelled out to my wife, "up or down"? She replied with "down". What I was asking her, was which way do I need to go...she thought I was asking which way was the plane going. Needless to say, I thought the plane was going up and was about to stall, so I gave her down elevator...into an already nose dive. She landed about 150 yards away in the brush. When I looked her over, she had damage to the nose and front of the fuse. Everything else was perfectly fine, including my battery. Here's a few pics of the damage. I'll have her fixed tonight...I'll be silking her this time.

GreenAce92
08-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Daahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! i guess no video today for the intruder then?
Sorry to hear that man
you gotta get a better navigator lol ;)

The eagle is down!!! the eagle is down!

wait is the air intake/edf part suppose to be alittle like ovalish? or was it part of the resulting effects of the crash(as in it got smushed) ?

firemanbill
08-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Bummer Mike. :( You'll have fixed up good as new in no time though!:D:cool:

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
The intake is supposed to be that shape Ace.

Thanks Bill. I'm going to use hot glue on her...works everytime. I'm also going to use some light spackle on her....she was needing a new paint job anyways:D.

firemanbill
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
That ougt to do it. Easy with the hot glue though, too much of it will add too much nose weight. Don't want to bog it down too much.

newjak
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Mike,
Before you put her back in the air make sure the fan unit did not dislodge. Other than that you should be good to go in no time.

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys...

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, I just finished gluing her back together and used light-weight spackle to fill the dents and beat up foam. As soon as she dries, I'll sand her smooth and remove all the decals. I wanted to silk her, but I think she's heavy enough up front.

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm also gonna glue the plastic coating back together on the foam nose cone with CA and then use a little spackle to even things out...there's just scotch tape on there now holding it all together from the first crash.

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Just finished removing all the decals. Still waiting for the spackle to dry. I'm gonna go with some sort of desert camo scheme...we'll see.

firemanbill
08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Desert camo would look cool, Give it that Israeli look:cool:

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Desert camo would look cool, Give it that Israeli look:cool:

Thanks Bill...I'll see what I can do as far as getting a few pics of the Isreali look.

GreenAce92
08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Go hot glue go! love that stuff man
nice repair work

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Go hot glue go! love that stuff man
nice repair work

Thanks Ace, but we'll see how she really turns out when I finish sanding her smooth. The paint job will only be as good as the plane itself. I bought her used from a fellow wattflyer...The paint job will definitely improve the look, but she'll still look a bit rough.

John Seidelman
08-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Did a quick searc and found this in a sim application.

GreenAce92
08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Blue winter camo scheme perhaps?

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I think I'll go with a sand color base on top with a brown or camo green camo, and a light blue on the bottom. I'm also gonna give her a coat of water based Polycrylic for extra protection.

GreenAce92
08-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Sounds good just make sure you use the right kinda paint lol or else you'll be disinegrating in mid air lol not cool

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I use water based acrylics on my foam planes.

I decided not to reglue the pieces of the plastic covering over the nose cone, but rather remove the plastic all together and just use spackle to fill in the dents and then I will paint it black. The entire plane will have a coat or two of WB polycrylic. Here's a couple pics of the plastic removed from the nose cone:

Angler-Hi
08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Did a quick searc and found this in a sim application.

That looks sharp John, thanks for the pic. I don't have that color green, so I'm gonna go with what I already have. I really appreciate it though friend.

Mike

Angler-Hi
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
The spackle on the fuse finally dried and it's been sanded smooth. I have a few minor touchups left but nothing major. I just applied spackle to the nose cone and it should be dry in a few.

firemanbill
08-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Looking good mike, she has her figure back now.;-):p>

Angler-Hi
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Well I've finally got most of it done. I'm laying the base coat on top right now. I'll post pics when that's done.

Angler-Hi
08-04-2008, 04:04 AM
I thought I would have enough of the color for the base coat on top, but apparently not. I'll have to pick up some more tomorrow morning. Here's a few pics of the nose repair and what I got done on the base coat:

John Seidelman
08-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Looking good so far.

Angler-Hi
08-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Looking good so far.

Thanks John. I'll have her finished up and ready to go tomorrow. She has definitely come along way since this morning:

Rabbitcreekok
08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Before you go back out with your backseater, be sure and give her a little instruction so the communication is cleared up...........or down.:tc:

Angler-Hi
08-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Before you go back out with your backseater, be sure and give her a little instruction so the communication is cleared up...........or down.:tc:

LOL:Q. I think she knows now friend.

I'm almost done with the camo scheme on the top and I will add the base blue in a few minutes. Pics to follow. All I need now is a decent decal sheet and she'll be lookin alot better...my LHS only carries decals for smaller scale static models:roll:.

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 12:04 AM
The camo top is almost finished...just a few spots to hit. I decided to go with a smoke grey instead of light blue for the bottom. Here's a couple of pics. I'll post more pics tonight when she's done.

John Seidelman
08-05-2008, 02:36 AM
It's getting there bud. Gonna be Purty

firemanbill
08-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Cool Mike! She is really starting to look good!:D

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys. I just got back home from the field with a buddy. I'm gonna finish the bottom and then coat her with Polycrylic. I'll be taking her out tomorrow...I'll get video.

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Finally done with the paint job. Now I'm just waiting for the touch up areas to dry and I will coat her with the polycrylic. I'll post pics when it's all done.

Crash Test Dummy
08-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Nice repair job. Nice looking plane. Is it easy to change out the fan and motor for upgrades??

CTD

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Nice repair job. Nice looking plane. Is it easy to change out the fan and motor for upgrades??

CTD

Thanks CTD. It doesn't look too bad if you wanted to. The fuse would have to be reopened. it seams down the center. there's no doubt it could be done quite easily. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about upgrading her, but I'm having too much fun as is.

Some people say they have a hard time getting her to fly, and some say they CAN'T get her to fly. She flies with a good amount of speed and looks awesome in the air. But to answer your question, upgrading her would be a piece of cake.

The final coat of Polycrylic is on and drying. When it's done and I remove the tape from the canopy, I'll post pics.

Mike

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Well guys, she's all done! The repairs are complete, as well as a new custom paint job. Here are the pics:

Crash Test Dummy
08-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Sweet, thanks for the 411. She is looking good, I love the camo and the dark belly. How fast would you say it is stock?

CTD

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Sweet, thanks for the 411. She is looking good, I love the camo and the dark belly. How fast would you say it is stock?

CTD

Thanks CTD. I'd say with zero wind, she gets close to 40mph. With the wind...maybe an extra 5mph. She's not one of those EDFs that shoot by like a rocket, but she ain't afraid to to move in a hurry either.

Mike

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:58 AM
The darker belly with the smoke grey was actually my wife's idea. She sorta has a knack for these things...you should see our livingroom:D.

Rabbitcreekok
08-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Looks really nice. You really got a lot done in a couple of days. Good job.

Crash Test Dummy
08-05-2008, 05:05 AM
The darker belly with the smoke grey was actually my wife's idea. She sorta has a knack for these things...you should see our livingroom:D.

LOL!! Yea, my wife would re-do the entire house over and over again if we had endless cash. She is always watching those HGTV design shows.

CTD

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks Rabbit. I'm really happy with the way she turned out.

My wife watches the same channel! She loves those shows, "Trading Places" and "While You Were Out".

John Seidelman
08-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Hey the real planes were not Screamers so if it seems slow it would be more scale like.
Found another Picture you might like to see guys.
This was taken out of the window of an A-3-d of a Blue angel a while back.

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Now THAT'S a SWEET SHOT!!

max2112
08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Super great job, Mike!!

Not many people can take a crashed plane and make it better than new.:tc:

That is a fantastic paint job, buddy.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74584&d=1217908084

It certainly seems like you've mastered your airbrush gun.

I can hardly wait to see this plane in person!:D

Angler-Hi
08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks John, but it won't be today. I have to finish up on some more repairs...She stalled on takeoff this morning. I tossed her and I think I gave her too much up elevator too soon...not enough airspeed. She stalled about 10 ft up and I did my best to glide her down but she was too steep. It's no where near as bad so I should have her fixed and touched by tonight.

It was almost as if she didn't have enough airspeed to do what I needed her to do. Talk about friggin disappointment:(:mad:. I spent the last two days on the repairs and paint...not to include the all-nighter last night.

I'd post pics but I'm just too pissed off right now.

John Seidelman
08-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear that man. It is really a bummer. Just sit back and take a deep breath.
It almost seems like more people need a launcher to get them beauties off the ground.

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Sorry to hear that man. It is really a bummer. Just sit back and take a deep breath.
It almost seems like more people need a launcher to get them beauties off the ground.

Thanks John, but she flies just fine without a launcher. I think I just threw her a little too high and she stalled.

John Seidelman
08-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Thanks John, but she flies just fine without a launcher. I think I just threw her a little too high and she stalled.

Ok it was you own fault then. Glad to hear it is ok now. get some video for us ok?

Here's another pic of one of my planes back when.

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok it was you own fault then. Glad to hear it is ok now. get some video for us ok?

Here's another pic of one of my planes back when.

I'll be spending the day repairing her and repainting her.

What kind of plane is that John? She looks like some sort of transport bird.

John Seidelman
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Nope that is the same bird A-3-d only in the bomber version. You can see the carrier down in the corner

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Nope that is the same bird A-3-d only in the bomber version. You can see the carrier down in the corner

Ok. I guess the large vertical stab and wings threw me off a bit. I like that nice silhouette shot though.

I'll be repairing her today and this time I hope I won't have any problems with her. After she crashed yesterday, I put the battery back in her right there on the spot and gave her half throttle. She scooted right along in the grass. That told me that she had enough thrust to gain airspeed. I'm almost wondering if I had her at full throttle when I launched her. This time there will be no mistakes. My love for this model won't allow me to quit on her!! I WILL get her back in the air where she belongs. Here's a few pics of the damage:

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Ya know what's really sad...when your repair skills surpass your flying skills!:red:

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Well I'm at it again. All the pieces have been hot glued back together and now I need to fill in the dents and small areas of missing foam with the light weight spackle. I'll post pics when the spackle's been applied. this will be the last attempt to rebuild her. If she fails the maiden tomorrow, I will strip her of all electronics and retire her:(. Here is the VERY short video of what happened on the flight following the repairs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxACnenxPk

newjak
08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Ya know what's really sad...when your repair skills surpass your flying skills!:red:

Wow Mike! WTF!! This reminds me of my Brio. Spent more time fixing than flying. Its now in its proper place hanging over my son's bed. Hopefully things work out better for you with this plane

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
After watching the video over and over and OVER...I noticed she had definitely stalled. There was no doubt about it. But I've flown this plane so many times with perfect flights...until I lost sight of her behind that damn tree. I know that I launched her way too steep and that's what caused the stall. When I'm done, I will check EVERYTHING before the flight. I'll even be reconfirming the CG. Here's where she stands right now:

Angler-Hi
08-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Once I get her sanded back to normal, I'll post more pics before the paintjob...then pics after the touch-up paint. She's going back together better than I thought she would. Now let's just see if I can make her look as good as before...and fly the same as before as well!!

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm working on the paint right now. I could have used a little more spackle in a few places, but we'll see how the flight goes first. If all is well and back to normal, I'll give her full attention in the look. I'll get some pics posted when I'm done.

John Seidelman
08-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Looks as it is going back together again. Strange how easy it seems to watch you fixing her each time. In the vid you would have thought that you were high enough to drop the nose and get it to fly instead of stalling. But they just don't have the thrust needed to pull out of stalls. I guess that's why there is so much UPGRADING in this hobby.

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Looks as it is going back together again. Strange how easy it seems to watch you fixing her each time. In the vid you would have thought that you were high enough to drop the nose and get it to fly instead of stalling. But they just don't have the thrust needed to pull out of stalls. I guess that's why there is so much UPGRADING in this hobby.

Well I've thought of upgrading her, but really just enjoyed her as is. I mean if it's not broken, don't fix it. I can understand wanting more speed and power, but for the money I paid (bought from fellow watthead) I think she flies just fine for me.

I don't want to put the time and energy into the body work just to have her crash again, so I'm gonna wait until I fly her tomorrow before going through all that.

John Seidelman
08-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Understood, But it is a shame that they don't sell them better to start with.

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Understood, But it is a shame that they don't sell them better to start with.

Oh I agree. A little more thrust would be nice.

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 03:41 AM
She's finally back together...AGAIN! I'll get her up in the morning and take video. Keep your fingers crossed!

firemanbill
08-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Looks good Mike. Nice Job!:D:cool:

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Looks good Mike. Nice Job!:D:cool:

Thanks Bill, but it's only a "nice job" if she flies again. I went over all the electronics quite extensively and all is up to par. I reconfrimed the CG and she's good to go. All control surfaces are in good shape as well as control horns nice and tight with no slop. Did a range check a little while ago and she is good to go. Fan housing is secure and looks good. I have a fully charged battery and everything for the flight in the morning. Other than that, I don't know what else to check for a flight with a newly repaired plane.

Mike

firemanbill
08-07-2008, 03:55 AM
sounds like you about have it covered. Good luck on the re-maiden.:cool:

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 03:59 AM
sounds like you about have it covered. Good luck on the re-maiden.:cool:

Thanks again Bill! It just feels like everytime I feel like I'm coming up in this hobby, something goes wrong that just beats up my confidence. Hopefully she flies like before. When she crashed the very first time, it was my first flight with her. The damage was almost identical. I took her home, applied some hot glue and she was ready to go back out an hour later...she flew GREAT!! I never had so much fun. I'd give anything to get that back. I really love this plane.

firemanbill
08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Bud that's just how it goes sometimes. One of the best flyers in our club dorked in a 25cc gasser last year because, well, stuff happens.;-)

He worked on it and worked on it to get her back in shape and finally got her back in the air... then he let me fly it!::o:Q

It's all part of the hobby bud. You'll get it back. I have confidence in ya!:cool:

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks Bill.

Mr. Baggins
08-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Crashing is all part of the game and keeps it interesting. It's been so long since I crashed I sort of feel like I'm missing out. :)

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Crashing is all part of the game and keeps it interesting. It's been so long since I crashed I sort of feel like I'm missing out. :)

Shoot....come fly with me, I've been a crash magnet for the last two days:p>. Thanks for the reply friend...I need all the confidence I can get right now. I'm really nervous about putting her tomorrow. I'm going to do it in an old favorite spot. It's full of 4ft tall safari grass. It's like walking on mattresses.

Rabbitcreekok
08-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Something to check, if you have not. In the 2 crashes, could the fan blades be coming in contact with the shroud. This might cause a loss of power. A glance at the shroud to look for rub marks might be worthwhile.

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Something to check, if you have not. In the 2 crashes, could the fan blades be coming in contact with the shroud. This might cause a loss of power. A glance at the shroud to look for rub marks might be worthwhile.

Thanks Rabbit. Believe it or not that was the first thing I was inspecting when putting her back together...it's pretty easy when the whole nose of the plane is missing:p>.

Well I took her out for the maiden. She flew! She was a little nose heavy and I'm not surprised with all the hot glue in that area. I was actually counting on it. I trimmed her out and she was good to go. She seems to have the same amount of power and speed which I'm happy about, but she seems to still want to stall if I go too steep. That's one thing I need to take a look at. I'm used to climbing at a steeper rate than what she's allowing me to do now. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WaNRDG9uyA

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Well I'm gonna take her out again this evening for another flight and see if I can get her to perform a bit better. I may just be paranoid, but I could swear she was capable of climbing at a slightly steeper rate than what she's doing now. That stall is really scaring me right now.

Olias
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow! Nice repair job Mike. But we gotta know.....did the pilot live!??:eek:

Bryan

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow! Nice repair job Mike. But we gotta know.....did the pilot live!??:eek:

Bryan

LOL:D. Yeah, he lived:p>. Now if he can get this plane to fly like before or better...that is the question.

John Seidelman
08-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Now That Was More Better. Please Let's Keep It That Wat For A while. K?

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Now That Was More Better. Please Let's Keep It That Wat For A while. K?

LOL:D. I'm working on it John...I'm working on it.

Mr. Baggins
08-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Congrats on the remaiden.

Angler-Hi
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Congrats on the remaiden.

Thanks friend. There's still a few bugs to work out...as soon as I find them:p>.

firemanbill
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey glad to hear you have her back in the air! Satisfying feeling to know you were able to fix her up huh?!:D

Angler-Hi
08-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey glad to hear you have her back in the air! Satisfying feeling to know you were able to fix her up huh?!:D

That it is Bill, thanks. As soon as I get her up again, I'm gonna get brave and really test those stall points...from up high of course. She seemzs to fly with the same amount of speed, so I don't know why she would have problems stalling in a small climb! She appears to have the same kick and thrust. We'll just have to see.