PDA

View Full Version : Plane in tree removal tool

1320fastback
08-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Heres what I came up with after I "landed" my Super Cub in a 60' tree. This was my re-maiden flight after converting to all JR electronics.
It is a "S" hook from HD and 250' of nylon #18 string, I welded two washers to add some weight and make it easier to throw. This will rip branches off of trees :D

GreenAce92
08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Whatever happened to climbign?

thats a pretty cool idea! i was into spy crap before and made a grapling hook out of really strong iron that work well too.

airmail wf
08-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Pretty cool.. The only problem that I see is you might get stuck on a branch that you can't break. What I did about a year ago when I got one stuck about 60 feet up I used just about what you have except I didn't have the hook part. Just the washer part. I put it on a fishing real. Once I got the line over the branch I wanted I let the weight of the washers pull the line to the ground. Then I tied a heavy rope to it and pull that up and over the branch. Now I could really shake the branch and the plane came out. Just a thought.:)

gfdengine204
08-04-2008, 01:57 AM
What about a shotgun? ;)

C140
08-04-2008, 02:19 AM
I've found that the one on the left works for smallish trees, but the one on the right is awesome for tall trees when paired with a super-full (turkey) choke. :D

John Seidelman
08-04-2008, 02:26 AM
A little less noisy they do make a saw that has rope on each end

1320fastback
08-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Climbing this tree was out of the question. I actually did try fishing string and washers but could never hook a branch and rip it out, or the line broke.

I did get the hook snagged pretty good a few times and had it break loose and come shooting back to me at a very fast rate of speed.

If this get caught in the tree and I cant get it loose it only cost $1.99 to replace; I think I am going to make a few and keep them in my flight box.

simhatus
08-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi

I got a plane in a tree about 50' up,the plane came down shortly after leaving just the engine.

I retrieved the engine using bamboo and fibre glass tape using the tree itself for support i just kept feeding it up the tree and taping the next one to the last overlapping by about a foot until it was high enouph to poke the engine out.

Simon

Hughes500Bob
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
PVC pipe, PVC couplers, and duct tape.

kolchac
08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I use a crossbow pistol with this super tuff kite string. With a little practice, a person can shoot right next to the plane into or over the branch then shake the branch. Have to be carefull of what is on the other side of the bolt. Know your target and beyond.

One time younger brother ticked me off while I was helping him get his Slow Stick out of a tree So...
I shot through the wing of his SS "OOPS That was by accident!"