PDA

View Full Version : Nanchang CJ6

bennylaird
01-16-2006, 02:01 AM
If a model flies like the real thing then this is the way to go.

I just spent Saturday exploring all the manouvers you could imagine, still have an ear to ear grin.

There are lots of places around to get a ride in these, mine was in Bendigo, Australia.

dimadee
01-16-2006, 02:26 AM
I have a gift voucher for the same company, and will be taking my flight in February - I am glad to hear it is worthwhile!

bennylaird
01-16-2006, 02:37 AM
You will love it Adam or Gerard will look after you and do as many aeros as you like. The DVD is worth it too, have to wait for mine to arrive as they format it and add their presentation to the video. Even have the hat lol.

If someone else wants to go with you (separate flight) they can get it for the same price.

You will love the sound and feel of the radial and enjoy watching the world revolve around you. Have fun..........

bennylaird
01-16-2006, 02:37 AM
My last flight before this was in this.

BradT
01-16-2006, 04:50 AM
There are a number of those Nanchangs in private hands in my area. Several of them get together with the local Harvard/AT-6 owners, and do some very impressive formation flying, including aerobatics. A couple of years ago, the annual Summer Electric Fly-in at Chilliwack fell on the same weekend as the full scale airshow at the city's airfield. Since the leader of the full scale aerobatic group is also an e-flier in our club, he arranged some "practice" flights over the model airstip. A pass down the model strip by 3 thundering radials at 50' had all the cameras snapping!

These full scale pilots tell me that the Nanchang is almost as manouverable as the Harvard, though less powerful. It also costs much less to buy and maintain. I'll have to cadge a ride one of these days. The Harvard pilot keeps threatening to get me "upside down" in his bird.
Brad.

dimadee
01-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Bennylaird,

I have also been up in a Tigermoth with the full aerobatics jig - we seem to be moving through parallel dimensions!!

What do you fly?

Tim

bennylaird
01-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm in a lull at the moment, have not flown for over a year but mainly WWI scale electric.

I started out to produce Peter Rake Kits down here but didn't take off.

If anyone wants a 400 Eindecker kit or a 400 Crackerjack, Pete's sport low-winger just yell out as I have kits available. Also Wright Bros. Spandau gun kits.

Here's a few pics.

Garry S
01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
The CJ6 is a good looking aircraft. They have less power than the Yak 52 (260 vs 360 HP) but are much cleaner, with the fully retracting undercarriage, and the cranked wing - which was designed to keep the U/C legs shorter - makes them look more warbird-like. They share the same ancestor as the Yak 52 - i.e. the Yak 18 - the Nanchang was the Chinese take on the next stage of development.

bennylaird
01-17-2006, 01:29 AM
My Chinese was not up to it in the cockpit but managed to guess what most cockpit items were. Seems like a great way to get into a flying business. The two guys who run this one do gift flights on weekends and seem to be more than meeting costs. What a job, suppose someone has to do it? lol.