PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder ........?

Wrench66
08-07-2008, 01:56 AM
....where the weak spot is on the fuse of some planes? I found my blue glider conversions this afternoon :eek::D
Was having a great time flying in the windy part of the day here approx 2pm and 10-15mph was really beginning to learn how to use the wind instead of arguing with it hehe.
I had lined her up for final and as I brought it in at about 5ft of the deck and right at flair time......the breeze kicked it over 90 degrees and she cartwheeled 20ft easy! whoa, that was funny lookin.
Well, as I walked up to it the damage was obvious......the fuse split half way between the TE and LE. Now when I built this plane I had noticed the fuse was a bit flexy but passed it off as OK anyway, that's right where it broke :mad: Shoulda done some reinforcing from the beginning.
The repairs began with me boring a small diameter hole in both halves of the fuse and using chop sticks as a assembly guide/stiffener (Panda Express, them suckers are stout! Must have some heavy duty rice or sumthun huh?! hehe). I also imbedded 4 small toothpicks in the same area just as a precaution against anything.
Luckily the foam these are made from isn't bothered by regular CA so the repair went fairly quickly and without a weight gain (what the sticks weigh was offset by the foam I scooped out).
Seems great now and the amount of fuse flex is almost all gone.....sure is better than originally.

At least that part of the fuse is not the weak point anymore.............but I'm sure I find another! :blah:

Anyway, the pics show the story and she's back together now MUCH stronger than before.

Ray

ministeve2003
08-07-2008, 02:59 AM
you need a bigger plane....LOL
SK

Wrench66
08-07-2008, 03:19 AM
No....that's not the answer 'cause I'm pretty sure I'd find a way to break it too! LOL My talent knows no limit.

Thanks for the help, Steve :roll: jk hehe

Ray

Angler-Hi
08-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Glad she's back together Wrench! Good idea with the chopsticks too. Good winds friend.