PDA

View Full Version : copterX + scorpion = not so good

MaxAdventure
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I wanted to report that running the Scorpion HK-2221-6 in a copterX may leave you disappointed.

oh, not from performance! The thing really does zip around like a mad hornet, however I went aluminum frame thinking it would last longer than carbon for me, and um, no.

Last time I was flying, I saw something small fall out of the canopy on a low pass, was totally flyable but I slowed down worried I lost a screw and something else flew out, so now I'm thinking I should be crashing if I'm losing bits, but it's still flying great. So I bring it down to check it out. The upper frame cracked by the motor mount on both sides. I'm actually missing about 1/2" of frame on one side. Crazy. I'm guessing the torque of the Scorpion is too much for the frame, or I'm playing in normal mode too much, or both.

I figured I'd be replacing parts with align as I went, I just didn't expect to replace the frame so soon, with no crashing!

I'm guessing with a more mild motor, not such a big deal.

ehirobo.com
12-04-2008, 05:00 AM

MaxAdventure
12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I wanted to come back and say that with the align top frames and a new 10t pinion (thanks for the help locating!) the combo is working well!

ministeve2003
01-13-2009, 04:30 AM
any Idea what Pinion Your using?

I tryed the hobbycity turnigy 450 heli motor, but it was too powerful for my copterx on stock pinion... It was pulling 45amps.... and the gyro and tail servo couldn't keep up...

SK

MaxAdventure
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
any Idea what Pinion Your using?

I'm currently running this 10 tooth: http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=7266
(I posted 9t by mistake above)
My Setup:
Scorpion HK 2221-6 w/10T Pinion
align 335mm wood blades
CC Phoenix45
Hitec HG-5000 gyro w/Hitec HSG 5083MG tail servo
stock tail blades
40.4Amp peak w/ Zippy 2200 20C-30C (silver)

6min flights, no issues with the tail holding

ministeve2003
01-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I tryed the hobbycity turnigy 450 heli motor, but It had too much headspeed and the 401 gyro/ 9257 tail servo couldn't keep up... It was 46amp peak, but that was with the stock pinion... I was going to lower it... but I put the stock stuff back, and sold my copterx to upgrade to a trex 500... I wanted something a little bigger...

SK

Crash9
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a CopterX and the HK-450, IMO the problem I see is the aluminum is weaker then Aligns frame. with an Align frame in my hand I can barely bend it, and the CopterX is easy to bend. The HK , CopterX and other Trex clones use a cheaper aluminum to save cost and looks a bit thinner:cool:.

ministeve2003
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I have a CopterX and the HK-450, IMO the problem I see is the aluminum is weaker then Aligns frame. with an Align frame in my hand I can barely bend it, and the CopterX is easy to bend. The HK , CopterX and other Trex clones use a cheaper aluminum to save cost and looks a bit thinner:cool:.

my CopterX SE V2, before I sold it... came with carbon fiber frames... I purchased it from ehirobo.com and the only gripe I had was the belt pulley wasn't on streight it wobbled a little, so I replaced it with a genuine Align One

SK