PDA

View Full Version : super decathlon

hayesrex24
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
what battery should i get to increase the flight time for a super decathlon.

meatball
01-16-2006, 10:15 PM
why dont you post your setup, battery motor, not everyone is so familiar with the super decathalon. The main thing that will increase flight time though is switching to LiPo batteries if you havent already, they are lighter with the same capacities, so you can handle a bigger battery with no weight difference.

The basic answer to your question as posed though is, get a battery with more mAH...

hayesrex24
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks
Wing Span: 35.4 in (900mm)
Overall Length: 25.3 in (640mm)
Flying Weight: 16oz (450g)
Motor Size: 370 class with gearbox
Radio: Proportional 3-channel FM
Trim Scheme Colors: Red Fuselage - Blue Trim with white borders
Recommended Battery: 8.4 V 600 mAh Ni-MH
Throttle: Proportional
Approx. Flying Duration: 13 minutes
Approx. Assembly Time: 5 minutes
Transmitter Range: 2500 feet (762m)
Available Frequencies: 6 Frequencies on 27 MHz
Smart Trak: No
X-Port: No
Charger: DC Peak
Landing Gear: Stainless steel with wheel pants
it is a super decathlon rtf electric from parkzone.

Rossi
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi
could i use a 11.1 volt lipo battery i know ill have to make the battery hole a bit bigger to fit it but i was wondering if the standard electronis could handle going from 8.4 to 11.1 volts i gave it a quick try and every thing is still working ok it was a vast improvement over the standard battery i could feel the plane was pulling alot more by holding the tail firmly the battery came of my heli which use's the same size motor as the decathlon so i thought it should be ok

Solid Hit
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Welcome to WF!

Typically those little brushed motors do not last long on 11.1 volts. They are rated more for the 7.4 2s lipos. Even though the 2s lipo has less voltage then the 8.4 nimh batteries, they work more efficiently and are much lighter.

That being said, I have used 3s lipos on my brushed motors and have gotten a lot of flights from them before burning out. I'm mindful about throttle control and don't fly them WOT for extended periods. Besides, replacement motors can be had for ~$7 or $8 if need be. In the long run I made the transition over to brushless on all but 1 or 2 planes. Brushless prices have come way down and are nearly as cheap as a good brushed motor with a great deal more power and longevity.

Rossi
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
yep i know the motor wont last as long i was thinking that maybe the radio gear might not like the increase in voltage i was going to change the motor to the venom 370 and fit a bigger prop but when i tried the 11.1volt li po i thought thats more like it it's got some kick now i could try the 7.4s pack as it would be alot lighter than the standard pack even the 11.1 pack is lighter than the standard 8.4 pack which is 100g li po is 80g i know its not much but every bit helps and Thanks for the welcome Bill Cya Ady

paranoia
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a wattage super decathlon, it's about the same size as your plane. I fly my on a TP1320 3cell pack and i'm running a geared outrunner 400F. it will also fit a tp2100 there more weight but you can fly for a long time.

my power system is very efficient, it’s only drawing 7-8amp in-flight. And is turning a 8x6 prop on a 2.3:1 box

cbatters
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
How many NIMH batteries do you currently use? (With 3 NIMH batteries and a field/car charger you could fly nearly non-stop. Cheap / pragmatic solution.)

Leo L
12-08-2006, 06:26 PM
The ESC in your SD is part of the Rx and cannot be programmed to protect the Lipo from undervoltage. You will need to monitor the battery's condition by landing the plane and checking the battery voltage every few minutes to be sure that you don't damage the battery pack.

Making the SD lighter is not a good idea. The plane already is very prone to wind and making it lighter will only make the problem worse. The Venom motor with the High Pitch prop makes the SD a decent flyer. If you want to give it a substantial boost, you need to go for a brushless motor, which would require a different Tx, Rx, ESC and servos.

Rossi
12-08-2006, 06:50 PM
i went and got the dremel out and made the li po fit in the battery box after about 4 min's of holding the tail on full power the prop shaft came out so i guess im lucky i wasent flying at the time after takeing it apart i found the washer on the back of the main gear had come of so i put it together again and put some good old jb weld on the shaft and gear face it seems ok now i charged the li po up and got 8 min's out of the pack it was a bit to windy today to go give it a test flight oh and i also took the nut out of the cowl as well i thought while ive got in bits lol