PDA

View Full Version : aerodromerc 1/8 fokker dr1 build

spikkkkkkkk
08-18-2008, 06:05 PM
i purchased a 35" fokker dr1 from kurt at areodromerc and set out to make a museum quality plane from the kit. it has a fully working cockpit, even the throttle and will have working cable system for the ailerons just like the dr1 had. here are a bunch of pics as the build progressed and it has been anything but easy. all the fabrication has to be so small so ive been useing the GTM 1/3 build thread as reference material.

FlyingMonkey
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
looking sharp!

barmonkey
08-18-2008, 06:59 PM
WOW! truly amazing work and craftsmanship!

P.S. you should think about posting over at the Aerodromerc.com Forum. I am sure Kay would flip out!

WWI Ace
08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
That is crazy cool!! Steve

barmonkey
08-21-2008, 03:03 AM
It really is! I have so many questions...but don't know where to start!

spikkkkkkkk
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
here are a few more pics of the build so far. i'm using this smaller version of the dr1 for a practice run so when i start my 1/6 scale DR1 with a fully robotic pilot to control everything i would have learned a few things about the dr1 (hopefully) to make the 1/6 scale a true scale airplane, no servos or electronics to get in my way.

WWI Ace
09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
How come it has an outrunner in it then Spikkkkk ????!!!! Steve

spikkkkkkkk
09-28-2008, 12:53 AM
just got the guns, mid-wing,combing etc. done and thought i would post a couple of pics. to think this is a practice plane so i can learn a bit about the DR1 before i start 1/6 scale DR1. i dont think of it as a waste of time , every time i build i learn.

WWI Ace
10-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Great job!! I have to go to Chicago tomorrow to watch boy graduate Navy basic training. Will check on this again when I get home in a week. Steve

sheldo78
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Very nice work. Amazing even, I watched your thread on the N-11 and it to was amazing. Do you plan on flying this one. Your work is a pleasure to watch in progress, how long have you been building. Sorry for the questions, but your work makes people want to ask a lot of questions I think. Thanks for including us in your builds.

spikkkkkkkk
10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
iv'e only been building for a year and i never flown yet. i want to learn how to fly but clubs and mentors are few and far between so i just build now and enjoy it very much. the 1/8 is just a practice run so i could familarize myself with the dr1. i'll be posting a thread in a couple of weeks with alot more info, step by step on a 1/6 fokker DR1 fully functional build almost completly scale except for the outrunner.all controls will work the wing surfaces and a robotic pilot will house all the electronics and servos and fly the plane. there will be an enormous amount of detail, i just built a photo etching system so i can make my own scale parts out of stainless steel and brass frets. i wan't the model to represent the real thing inside and out in every aspect including a pull-pull pully system in the wings for the ailerons. i appreciate your kind words about my builds and am glad you enjoyed them. talk to you soon, rob.

sheldo78
10-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, If you learn to fly half as good as you build, you'll be fine. Yon need to get a flight simulator for your PC. Then get a plane like a T-hawk, Slow Stick or Easy Star and go at it. The planes that you are building will work right in after you do some training, thats the beauty or WW1 planes. They fly fairly slow and are pretty predictable. I think a lot of people go into this w/ no clubs or fields, I know I did, and it wasn't to bad of a start. A few broken wings, fuselages, servos, props, motors and a couple weeks, and a lot of patience:silly::confused::mad:and you'll be an ace! Anyway good luck.

jofrost
10-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Holy Cow !!! , Your detailing ability is definately museum quality . I'd be afraid to fly it ! I have a friend who built this one and it flew nicely in his experienced hands . It almost seems "cartoonish" now after looking at all your great photos !

Keep up the fantastic work , it is truly an inspiration !

-John

Bill G
10-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Holy Cow !!! , Your detailing ability is definately museum quality . I'd be afraid to fly it ! I have a friend who built this one and it flew nicely in his experienced hands . It almost seems "cartoonish" now after looking at all your great photos !

Keep up the fantastic work , it is truly an inspiration !

-John
The first time I saw one of his threads, I thought he was showing pics of a real cocpit, passing them off as scale, just as a joke.
It's no joke though. They truly look real. Cocpits should be part of competition when done like that.

That's the problem I have, in that I'm afraid to fly them if I go even 1/10th that far in detail. Took me a year to brave my little Guillows DR1, which I've flown a number of times now. Adding to the difficulty of a good maiden is that the DR1 is not like any other airplane most of us are used to. It's a DR1. There not the same thing.:D They're in a class all by themself. After flying them, one understands that.

The most detailed vintage plane I have, my Rake M1c, has been flown once. Flew very well, but I'm afraid to fly it again.

Like Spikkkkkk, I built for several years, before ever flying anything other than my GWS Beaver. I just liked building. When I finally got to aileron flying, I realized that many of my builds required a lot of rework to fly well, but that was a good learning experience.