PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Photo Contest #1

Steve Nolan (eBird)
01-18-2006, 03:51 AM
WattFlyer Aerial Photo Contest #1
Prizes sponsored by FMA

OK group, we're ready to roll with our first official AP contest.
The rules are simple, and the prizes are great!

THEME: Your flying field. Take an aerial photo of your favorite flying field and make it a good one!

First the rules:
Photo must be taken by the entrant, FROM an electric R/C craft (plane or heli)
Photo must be taken DURING the contest period (Jan 18 -- Feb 7, 2006)
this means NEW PHOTOS ONLY. You may not enter a photo you have already posted in the forum.
MINOR RETOUCHING is OK
cropping, tonal adjustments, sharpening, noise reducing
MAJOR RETOUCHING is NOT OK
cloning, superimposed backgrounds, etc.
Photos must be posted at 800x600 (or very close) resolution
Photo must adhere to the THEME of the contest
ENTER ONLY ONE PHOTOINCLUDE with your entry:
Your name
Photo description
DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN
Place photo taken
Aircraft
CameraEntry period will last THREE WEEKS. Voting will last ONE WEEK.

Enter your photo in the contest -- ENTRY PERIOD CLOSED. VOTING IN PROGESS.

You may change your photo as often as you wish before voting begins.

View the photos in the contest -- VIEW ENTRIES (http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/index2.php?c=2)
You can also get there by clicking on the Quick Links menu, choose "gallery", then choose "aerial photo contest"

Get those birds in the air and get to clicking!

And now, the prize...

FMA is sponsoring our first contest. The winner will receive a WattFlyer decal set, and can choose one of the below prizes.
Second place will receive a Wattflyer decal set.

http://www.fmadirect.com/images/products/2108.jpg
The new Encore Sub Micro Receiver is built on the popular M5v2 technology with improved resolution to support digital and other super-sensitive servos. Proven failsafe techniques as well as improved digital filtering add to already unbeatable performance. The Encore provides full range and glitch-free performance reception in aircraft ranging from indoor flyers to park flyers to IMAA-legal aircraft to helicopters. Its dual conversion and narrow band design can be used with any FM PPM transmitter in the 72MHz band. The Encore is available with either negative shift (for Futaba, Hitec transmitters) or positive shift (for JR, Airtronics transmitters). The horizontal channel pins allow for use in small, thin fuselages. The 5th channel output is user selectable between channel and channel 6 through a simple jumper setting.

-OR-

http://www.fmadirect.com/images/products/2098.jpg
FMA's M5v2 is the smallest computer-controlled, high performance, dual conversion receiver available. Small size and light weight make the M5v2 perfect for indoor, backyard and park flyers. However, this receiver's capabilities enable it to be used in any aircraft, even giant scale.

The M5v2 gets its reliability from improved S.M.A.R.T. (Selective, Microprocessor, Advanced Radio Transmission) decoding. This technology analyzes each frame, ignores noise spikes and operates reliably in the presence of strong interference.

This receiver requires an FMA dual conversion crystal to match your transmitter channel.

The new Dual Conversion M5 v2 has increased resolution and built-in decoding technology which digitally filters the transmitter signal from noise providing “fail-safe” type protection for any standard FM system. The aircraft will "fly-through" temporary interference with the servos remaining unchanged, and, after 3 seconds of signal loss, the receiver throttle channel signals the ESC to shut down the motor, thus preventing fly-aways.

-OR-

http://www.fmadirect.com/images/products/1901.jpg
The SA-10 operates from 4.5V to 6.0V. It can be powered from NiCd, NiMH and regulated LiPo RC flight batteries and from ESC's in electric aircraft. It works with all brands of RC servos, both analog and digital. The SA-10 simulates receiver output with 1ms to 2ms pulses to a servo, and measures transmitter pulse width with 0.010ms precision. Test servos in models or on the bench. Eliminate unknowns that may be caused by transmitter or receiver.

Servo analyzer and transmitter pulse width meter for use with radio control systems. Set up your airplane with precision, test out servos with adjustable speed cycling, test your transmitter joysticks and trims for accuracy and more. A must have for every R/C enthusiast!
Size: 2.75 in x 1.8 in x .7 in

-OR-

Cellpro 4s Balancing Charger:

FMA’s new Cellpro 4s Charger is part of a revolutionary new lower-cost LiPo battery and charge system for R/C aircraft. With an automatic 1C charge rate of up to 3 amps, the charger brings your Cellpro compatible packs up to charge with unprecendented safety! No knobs, buttons, or jumpers to set - the cell count cannot be wrong! A built-in LCD display shows you charging information and a pack fuel guage. The PC interface allows for a complete graphical display of each cell in the pack using the free FMA 4s Charger Viewer Software. FMA’s Cellpro Node Connector is a key part of the system. It enables the charger to monitor individual cells and independently charge each cell to its optimum level. Charge protection dramatically improves pack performance, pack life and charging safety. The Cellpro 4s charger may be used to charge only FMA's new Cellpro Kokam and Cellpro Slimline 2s to 4s LiPo packs.

Cellpro 4s Charger Features:
Cellpro 4s Charger Features:
• LCD Screen shows all 4 battery voltages with 1/10% accuracy full
scale, current, supply voltage, Amp Hrs, Fuel Level and Charge mode.
• The charge current in amp hours is factory calibrated to +/-1%
accuracy.
• A built-in speaker signals charging finished
• The Auto-current setting will charge any battery less than 3.5Ah in
50 minutes or it can be manually set to 0.25 to 4 amps in 0.25A steps.
• The free 4S viewer software shows everything in graphical format
• Battery Restore mode will fix over discharged cells
• Special wire compensation allows 10mV accuracy on any length charge
wire

admin
01-18-2006, 08:45 PM
When uploading your image to the contest simply go to this link:

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/upload.php

and choose "Aerial Photography Contest #1" from the category dropdown menu. Then find the file on your drive using the browse button, enter title & description and submit for upload and entry.

If you decide before the Jan 31 deadline that you want to replace your entry with another just click to your entry, delete it and reupload a new one. You cannot add more than one photo into this contest.

CactusJackSlade
01-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Does this have to be a sanctioned field... or the field where one frequently flys from?

CJS

Steve Nolan (eBird)
01-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Does this have to be a sanctioned field?
Not at all. Just the place you typically fly from.
Straight down shot, or perhaps a better choice would be an oblique view so you get some horizon in there...

Welcome to WattFlyer!

Steve

Mike Parsons
01-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey Guys,
I uploaded a sample shot and description of what a typical entry should resemble.

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/index.php?n=289

A couple of examples below as well.

EUT
01-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I put up a new picture but it does not appear in the views??

Mike Parsons
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I see it. I can see it under the file list as well as if I go into the contest section.

Rugar
01-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I also see it. Try refreshing your browser.

EUT
01-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I also see it. Try refreshing your browser.
Got it now, thanks.

kcbillings
01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
d:\kcbillings_kx\my documents\rc\dscf0089.jpg

Kyle G.
02-02-2006, 12:05 AM
KCbillings: You need to host the picture on the internet first, or in this case upload to the gallery. Click the first link at the top of the page and upload it.

Steve Nolan (eBird)
02-02-2006, 01:04 AM
We seem to be having a little difficulty with the entries.
Per the rules, PLEASE:
INCLUDE with your entry:
Your name
Photo description
DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN
Place photo taken
Aircraft
CameraRemember, only photos taken during the contest period are eligible for the contest! (Jan 18 - Feb 7)

Also, please make sure your photo has something to do with the theme, "your flying field"

Thanks!

downeym
02-05-2006, 02:13 AM
do videos count? :)

http://epowerflight.com/downey/carters.wmv

Steve Nolan (eBird)
02-05-2006, 05:22 AM
do videos count? :)

http://epowerflight.com/downey/carters.wmv

nope

aviatordave
02-07-2006, 01:10 AM
I got 1 day left...mother nature is not being nice. I assume if I can get a pic on the 7th I have until 12:00 midnight CST to post?

thanks - Dave

admin
02-07-2006, 01:25 AM
I got 1 day left...mother nature is not being nice. I assume if I can get a pic on the 7th I have until 12:00 midnight CST to post?

thanks - Dave

we'll give everyone until 12 Pacific time. We will then open up voting the following day.

twinturbostang
02-07-2006, 02:01 AM
I should have my first AP rig complete in a few weeks. :( I hope you guys plan on running more of these in the future.

Don Sims
02-07-2006, 02:08 AM
We sure hope so! I kept telling the Admin and sponsor not to have such nice prizes the first few times around. ;)

You guys would have settled for stickers wouldn't you??? :eek:

aviatordave
02-07-2006, 04:49 AM
We sure hope so! I kept telling the Admin and sponsor not to have such nice prizes the first few times around. ;)

You guys would have settled for stickers wouldn't you??? :eek:

I'm pretty cheap..just an 'atta boy' would have worked! :D

admin
02-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Yup...we will definitely do more of these for you guys. I am lining up some cool prizes for this.

twinturbostang
02-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Yup...we will definitely do more of these for you guys. I am lining up some cool prizes for this.
A nice 6 megapixi camera would be nice! :)

aviatordave
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
:(
too much wind here and no sun today.....Mother Nature says I cant fly. I'll sure look forward to the next contest....thanks guys!

-Dave

Steve Nolan (eBird)
02-08-2006, 01:51 PM
OK, it's votin' time!!
Entry period is officially over, go cast your vote!

admin
02-08-2006, 02:53 PM
voting is now open!

bhchan
02-12-2006, 06:52 AM
When will the voting close?

Brian, an EAJ

admin
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Voting will close on the 15th. There are over 200 votes when I checked the other day already! A quick peek yields 2 leaders so get your votes in there to ensure your favorite has its voice heard!

admin
02-17-2006, 04:27 PM
UPDATE 2/17/06

I am coding the results page today and should have it up shortly. I had anticipated on getting it online yesterday after the close of voting but got pulled off onto something urgent. I'm actually starting to format the page now.

admin
02-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Pretty looking table of winners is now up!

http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/winnertable.php?c=2

Rugar
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Congratulations to Brian for winning the contest, and all the rest of the winners! Looking forward to the next one.

EUT
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
How did the aerials at Blue canyon come out, as I remember you have a better camera than I do?

bhchan
02-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Yipee, I won!!! Thank you all for the votes. There were a bunch of great shots. Yes, I am looking forward for the next one too!

Attached is another shot of the same field I took last November, on a foggy day.

Eut, the Blue Conyon pictures were not so good, the pictures are ok, but the subject is not ;) . I got about 10 ok one out of 60 or so shots. The problem I have is the bright snow and darker surroundings. Also I did not get high enough to catch a large area. I did get a bunch of tree pictures. Just like my very first outing, a lot of pictures of grass from the green grass field I flew out of.

Thanks again, everyone!

Brian, an EAJ

EUT
02-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey!, Brian, you got an air to air. That is kasra's glider in your third picture.

Mike Parsons
02-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Congratulations Brian! If you would PM either Steve Nolan or myself with your mailing address and your prize selection from the FMA prize list, we will get your choice shipped out to you as well as a Wattflyer decal set.

shootfromabove is runner up and will also recieve a Wattflyer decal set. I will send a PM request for address.

Congratulations to you both and to everyone who participated! Steve will be organizing another soon and more great prizes will be announced!

-Mike

bhchan
02-18-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey!, Brian, you got an air to air. That is kasra's glider in your third picture.

Eut,

Your eyes are much better than mine. I didn't even notice that!!:o :o

That day was sure a fun day. Thank you. We have to get together more. I need to build a camera/lens guard like yours to protect the lens when the camera is pointing downward.

OldBrian

Kosh
02-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Well done Brian and congratulations!!! There were lots of impressive photos given the wintry conditions most faced. Now that most have a good idea how this works I cant wait for the next one. Just want to say thanks WattFlyer and to the sponsors and hope you can keep it going.

Thanks to all, Kosh

bhchan
02-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Rugar, Kosh,

Thank you.

Brian

Steve Nolan (eBird)
02-21-2006, 02:12 AM
Congrats Brian, that's an amazing area.

Nice job capturing it!

Steve

Kyle G.
02-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Yes! I came in last :cool: Nice shot Brian! Really like the cliffs and the ocean. Looks like a daring shot to get. Eut, I really liked your water fountain shot too, really unique to say the least! Great Job everyone. Eagerly awaiting the next contest.