PDA

View Full Version : Can someone post a simple winding pic of a BL motor?

GreenAce92
08-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Hi,

Im trying to rewind my 2409-12 outrunner which has 9 stators, ive got quite a bit of enamel coated wires, but not too many, but anyways my first successfull try i will do with 1 wire only. Ive so far wound it so that i go in the order 1, 4, 7-- thats one wire going around each stator like 8 times, then 2, 5, 8, and so on. i konw thats correct because thats how the stock motor was setup when i unravelled it.

But yeah a simple picture with 9 stators(each wire different color) please :)

im askin for this so that i know what order the wires go in for the bullets.

thanks!!

CHELLIE
08-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi,

Im trying to rewind my 2409-12 outrunner which has 9 stators, ive got quite a bit of enamel coated wires, but not too many, but anyways my first successfull try i will do with 1 wire only. Ive so far wound it so that i go in the order 1, 4, 7-- thats one wire going around each stator like 8 times, then 2, 5, 8, and so on. i konw thats correct because thats how the stock motor was setup when i unravelled it.

But yeah a simple picture with 9 stators(each wire different color) please :)

im askin for this so that i know what order the wires go in for the bullets.

thanks!!

here you go greenAce :ws:

http://www.rcplaneworkshop.com/electric-rc/brushless-motor-winding-by-utah-fyers-2

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=401420

flydiver
08-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Those links will show you someone winding. If you want to see a schematic diagram look at that GBv tutorial I posted in your other question. Same principal.
http://www.gobrushless.com/GBL_single_v2.pdf

CHELLIE
08-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Flydiver to the rescue :ws: i was looking for that Link, Thank you, Chellie

GreenAce92
08-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Oooo thanks to yas both

thanks!

ron_van_sommeren
08-23-2008, 08:19 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-torquemax/ (Don't worry, I took care of spammers)
-> pictures
-> winding diagrams

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron

GreenAce92
08-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks man yeah i just started rewinding my 2409-12 first 3 attempts no good, i plan on going to radio shack and wally mart to buy a yellow ohms meter and also enamel wire and maybe an air hogs heli lol

flydiver
08-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks man yeah i just started rewinding my 2409-12 first 3 attempts no good, i plan on going to radio shack and wally mart to buy a yellow ohms meter and also enamel wire and maybe an air hogs heli lol

The RS wire is good for practice winding if you are new. Enamel is fragile and brittle and you are likely to end up with shorts. It's cheap so worth doing but not for actual winding. I've been practicing with the 26AWG green color and you can SEE the chips off of it. These translate into a faulty motor later-work wasted.

I think you should get the GoBrushless.com 'newbie wire'. Much tougher. I bought the 3 different colors-only a $/roll (+shipping). It helps the first couple times sorting out the confusion of wires.
Get the GBv kit ($10) and get an easy motor to wind, 3 different rolls of newbie wire with enough extra to do the TP motor later. Good way to start.

flydiver
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Radio Shack wire addendum:
Got a new GBx kit (same stator as GBv but different can) with 26 newbie wire. Thought I'd try heavier wire so tried my 22AWG RS wire. Thought I was careful but ended up 2 of the windings having shorts. I rest my case.

GreenAce92
08-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Hmm thanks for the help man. Yeah i like the sound of that a kit from them. Hey if i dont have an ohm meter yet can i just use a circuit with an AA and like a speed 100 brushed motor?

flydiver
08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Hmm thanks for the help man. Yeah i like the sound of that a kit from them. Hey if i dont have an ohm meter yet can i just use a circuit with an AA and like a speed 100 brushed motor?

To see if you have a short? Not sure if the motor is necessary. Just use a flashlight bulb with the AA and test probes. If you short a lead and the stator the bulb should not light up. If it does, even flickers > no good.

You can also just fire it up, but that means you pretty much have to finish it with all the soldering. Use a fairly depleted battery (I use some old tired NiMh and an ESC I don't care about). It should run smoothly. If it jerks around something is wrong.
If you use a fresh lipo and a good ESC you risk trashing the ESC if there is a short. Some people advise a quick blow fuse of lower amperage than the ESC in line. I haven't tried that. I'm new at this too.

GreenAce92
08-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Ahhh cool well thanks, i did salvage a Brushless outrunner from a PS2 that got broken, darn thing is tiny though at max it would run im judging a 6in SF prop if im lucky.

gotboostedvr6
08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
i have found that when you properly prep a stator the noob wire is unnecessary and the radio shack wire works just fine

flydiver
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
i have found that when you properly prep a stator the noob wire is unnecessary and the radio shack wire works just fine

Properly prep means????

I was practicing winding one of my 2410-9 with RS wire. It's got narrower openings, smaller slots, and sharper hammer edges than the GBv. Even being careful I can see the nicks I take off the RS 26awg (green) wire.

gotboostedvr6
08-27-2008, 11:56 PM
i usually coat the stator with high temp enamel or high temp gel paint used for grills it leaves no sharp edges so you cant nick anything

ron_van_sommeren
08-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Chamfer/bevel the edges to avoid shorts. Additional methods:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.powercroco.de%2Fstato risolieren.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Checking and testing for shorts, first message, starting with item #24:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993
Somewhere in that thread are also some stator-insulation tips.

Get your wire from your local motor/transformer rewinder/refurbisher. Excellent quality, all diameters, you'll probably get it for free.

Vriendelijke groeten ;) Ron

GreenAce92
08-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Well i got my wire i used for my 2409-12 rewind(too small apparantly) from a transformer it started getting hot quick and i only had it on WOT for about 10seconds!!! anyways you think it was bad that i used 1 strand per stator? and i only wound it 6 times around each stator, so yeah... lol was that a bad thing to do? what if i got thinner wire so i could wrap several wires around the stator, would i get some pretty high kv and strong torque too? or would i expect a slower kv with more torque than the higher kv?

flydiver
08-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Need more info.
Was the replacement wire thinner or larger than the original?
When wound were the stators kind of filled up or pretty empty?
Did you run it with a prop or without? If with prop-what size?

The basic principal seems to be to FILL the stator-more copper = better efficiency. More winds > lower KV > larger props. Less winds > higher KV > smaller props.

Take a look at the trouble shooting section in back of that GBv tutorial for some ideas.
There is also a discussion forum on the website.

CHELLIE
08-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Well i got my wire i used for my 2409-12 rewind(too small apparantly) from a transformer it started getting hot quick and i only had it on WOT for about 10seconds!!! anyways you think it was bad that i used 1 strand per stator? and i only wound it 6 times around each stator, so yeah... lol was that a bad thing to do? what if i got thinner wire so i could wrap several wires around the stator, would i get some pretty high kv and strong torque too? or would i expect a slower kv with more torque than the higher kv?

Hi GreenAce, Great effort and learning, you have to know the wire diameter size for a given kv, thin wire will work, but you have to double it up, or triple it up, and know how much resistance you will have, you just cant take any wire size and start winding, you have to have an Idea of what you want to accomplish, low kv, high kv, KUDOS to you for trying, and you have learned a lot by just doing it, keep up the good work, and learn what size wire you will need for a given project, Take care, Chellie

gotboostedvr6
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
6 turns terminated y is around 2000 kv terminated delta is 3200

7 turns Y is 16-1700 kv
12 turns delta is 1600 kv

this depends on the wire gauge

GreenAce92
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Hmmm interesting yeah i have no idea what gauge my wire is like i said i just got it from an old transformer. So yeah... i think it cant take 11volts.

Well i got her running again, you know i believe that its overheating because the bearings i used a hammer and a nail to pop the bell and the stator apart, the bell is slightly war but the bearing/shaft area is mad hot. I got a video of my motor running at wot without a prop. Yeah i definitely think its just a bearing problem.

ron_van_sommeren
08-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Wire gauge does not effect Kv. It does effect resistance of course. The higher the resistance, the more rpm will drop under load.
Use the thickest wire possible for the number of winds you're going to wind, or wind 2-3 in parallel (counts as one single wire) if the wire is too thick to handle comfortable. In general one single wire will give a better copper factor, and that's what you want for higher efficiency.

Introduction to the black art of motor winding (if all goes well, nothing blackens :) )
www.southernsoaringclub.org.za (http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.za/)
-> Articles from Southeasters
-> Electric Motors - part 1 ... part 5

GreenAce92
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Wire gauge does not effect Kv. It does effect resistance of course. The higher the resistance, the more rpm will drop under load.

Wait you just said it didnt affect it, but hten you said it does? what? lol

ron_van_sommeren
08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Wire gauge does not effect Kv, but via Rm it effects rpm.

rpm = Kv *(Vm -Rm*Im) (Vm motorvoltage, Rm motorresistance, I ignored Io, the no load current)

You can see that an increase in the motorcurrent Im will give a decrease in rpm, yet Kv did not change.