PDA

View Full Version : Falcon 550E Glider by Airtronics

hlc
01-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Have Kit but not manual or other instructions. I am interested in any information that any one can provide concern assemblying the model, batteries, motor, prop, CG etc. This a 2 meter glider.

Sky Sharkster
01-20-2006, 02:33 AM
To HLC, I checked the Airtronics website but couldn't find this glider listed. A few general observations; When a manufacturer lists a motor as "550" it's usually what we (now) call a Speed 600 which would be a pretty good replacement. That is a fairly large brushed motor, easily available. Without gearing it would turn a 7 x4 or 8 x 4 prop ( folding prop for a glider) and likely use 7 or 8 cell NiHm or NiCads, mAh anywhere between 1100 to 2000, depending on how long you intend to run the motor. The motor will cost about $ 20.00 and the folding prop about $ 15.00. You will also need a brushed ESC, at least 25-30 amp, figure $ 40.00. A decent brushless upgrade would be anywhere between $ 60.00 to $ 100.00 for the motor (outrunner), a brushlees ESC about $ 60.00 to $ 75.00 and the same prop.
As far as building, if you don't have the directions I would suggest you try to get in touch with an experienced glider or e-glider flyer in your area. Maybe a trip to the local flying field will help or a hobby shop employee might be able to hook you up. I know this isn't much help, maybe more readers will pitch in! If you have more questions, feel free to PM me or post here. Good Luck!
Ron

hlc
01-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Thank you for the information. That will help. Hlc

thermalfish
01-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi,
I have an Airtronics Eclipse kit it is a 2 meter electric with the same 550 motor with the folding Master airscrew prop, I have not started the kit yet, but do not hesitate to ask me assembly questions. I bet both kits are very similar in construction. I can email or fax the manual to you, it has many pictures, for such things as dihedral, etc, that is easy to work out, etc.
I will be setting rid of the 550e motor and gearbox (550 is about the same as a 600 speed), I have a geared Astro 05 FAI, and a 50 amp Electrify ESC that will be used with Lipo's. Thanks, Dan

hlc
01-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Thermalfish,Thanks for the offer. I would appreciate your emailing me a copy of your manual... hlcannon@cox.netHugh

hlc
01-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Themalfish, the above address came out wrong when posted. it is

hlcannon@cox.net

thermalfish
01-21-2006, 07:26 PM
I will make a copy and convert to .pdf when I get to the office Monday, if you do not receive it, let me know. Dan

hlc
01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Thermalfish,

I did not receive the .pdf files. Hlc

thermalfish
01-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi, I am not at work for a couple of days, winter cold, thsts the only palce zI casn taske a manual and convert it to pdf, manybe wenesday or thur. Dan

BillM
01-25-2006, 06:11 AM
hlc
The airplane you are asking about was state of the art in the late 80's and early 90's but is out dated by todays standards. But don't be concerned as it still is a fine sport plane.

The Falcon 550E was designed to use an Astro Cobalt 05. It was a high performance sailplane in its time. It would be awesome with a modern brushless motor. I have seen a couple powered by Aveox motors. Aveox was about the only brushless available when the Falcon was still being produced. I have seen a couple of examples at various flea markets and swap shops and have been tempted to add one to my hanger.

Finding information on a plane that has been out of production for a while can be a challenge. Posting your need on a for sale/wanted forum may provide the results you need. Might cost you a few dollars but it would be well worth it. The Falcon was a beautiful flyer.

BM

greg kolber
12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi thermalfish,
Was wondering if you still have the .pdf file for the build instructions for the airtronics eclipse. I have the large blueprint but lost the instruction booklet. If you have, is it possible to sent to:
gregkolber@yahoo.com
home: 408-238-1753
work: 650-318-4572
fax: 650-318-4601
I'm in the process of building but want to avoid mistakes etc.
Any insight you have on building is appreciated!!
Many Tx
Greg
I will make a copy and convert to .pdf when I get to the office Monday, if you do not receive it, let me know. Dan