PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Flat Out's

M30263
08-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey, I'm pretty new to RC'ing and am just learning 3D flight... does anyone have any tips for these new Flat Out's? I've got the Cap 580 and it's a Hand full. I've also noticed you need to pay special attention when building this plane for balance and straight flight purposes... just a slight twist in the body of this plane Will cause you major trim issues. Gluing the carbon too... what glue works best? The foam safe glue didn't seem to hold well when gluing carbon fiber to carbon fiber... CA? Thanks! :o Anyone also have any knoledge of the 3D Foamies?

Michael

ultimate bipe lover
08-10-2005, 04:26 AM
reinforce the landing gear and yes ca works well on the carbon fiber i have the flatana with a rimfire, tp 730 mah 3-cell and bl-8 esc its an awesome flyer and performs exceptionally well

M30263
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
The only trouble I have with the gear is it wanting to tear back into the wing because the plastic guide wouldn't stick to the carbon very well at the leading edge, I'll give regular CA a try. I also did reinforce the bottom edge with a 1/8" carbon rod, from the rear of the aileron to apr. 3" back of the motor... Since I fly out doors with it, I felt that would strengthen that area up since most of the weight is located there... (battery, esc, receiver and two servos). I've got the 22M-1000 Rimfire, GP 650mah 3 cell lipo and BL-8 esc in mine... plenty of power! Thanks for your input :)

rahtware
08-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I watched a guy fly one of these at a local strip and was intrigued by how maneuverable it was. I noticed that he didn't do much high-speed flying, but kept in in close and flipping around like a flea on a hotplate.

M30263
08-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Well... I'm pretty sure my plane looks like it's out of control at the best of times, mind you I fly it outdoors. Check out these guys though... they've got them tamed to say the least! http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=509 I'm interested in the variable prop that Scott Foster was using for his winning freestyle... once I've masted the regular one! HA HA!!!

stuff
08-11-2005, 01:27 AM
If you use ca you must use a foam friendly kicker .Instead of c/a just use scotch tape to hold you carbon fibre on .After tapping use your covering iron to heat and secure the tape to the foam.It will save all of your carbonfibre nice and clean with no ca on it for your next plane .Also get a hot glue gun these work great with foam and for securing your carbon fibre braces and glueing foam I even glued back an 8 " peice of my left wing after a cartwheel(new 3d trick) . do not use landing gear use grass instead. Stuff

bubbagates
08-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey, I'm pretty new to RC'ing and am just learning 3D flight... does anyone have any tips for these new Flat Out's? I've got the Cap 580 and it's a Hand full. I've also noticed you need to pay special attention when building this plane for balance and straight flight purposes... just a slight twist in the body of this plane Will cause you major trim issues. Gluing the carbon too... what glue works best? The foam safe glue didn't seem to hold well when gluing carbon fiber to carbon fiber... CA? Thanks! :o Anyone also have any knoledge of the 3D Foamies?

Michael

Actually I also have the 580 running the rimfire 22m-1000 on a TP 1320 and a CC 25amp ESC and an APC 10X3.8 and it will hover at just under 1/2 throttle and go vertical fairly quickly.

Yep, it's a tad heavy with that batt but I taped a penny to the end of the opposite wing and now my lateral balance is dead on.

What I found when attaching to CF rods is to run a very thin bead of thick CA (foam safe) on the surface in the groove and place the rod in the groove, then tape it in place and let it dry. You could user kicker but you end up with a better hold if you let it dry on it's own. When attaching the "hinges" make sure you do as the book says and place a drop of CA in the slot "before" placing the hinge in. I did not do this with one of the aileron conrol horn/hinge and 2 flights later it broke loose. I only laid it in the hinge and glued both sides. DOH :rolleyes: When I glued the long CF fuse rod into it's larger "doubler" I used normal thick CA, then once that was dried I glued the whole thing to the fuselage. It's been holding up really well.

As far as flying it, mine flies great with my setup even though it's heavy but flight times are in the area of 15 minutes. The only real problem I have is if I get too wild it will usually pop one of the ailerons loose and 1/2 throttle skimming across the sky will tend to make the whole plane flutter and pop a control surface lose but again that's my fault.

I did purchase a TP900 but have not had the chance to solder the deans plug on it to help lighten the plane.

As far as the L/G go. Mine broke after about 3 landings on grass. To tell you the truth, I can now land this thing fairly slow anyway so I just set it down just as easy as I can on the grass. Yep, it's kinda tearing up the foam a little bit but hey, it adds character ;)

rahtware
08-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Well... I'm pretty sure my plane looks like it's out of control at the best of times, mind you I fly it outdoors. Check out these guys though... they've got them tamed to say the least! http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=509 I'm interested in the variable prop that Scott Foster was using for his winning freestyle... once I've masted the regular one! HA HA!!!

THANKS!!!

I really enjoyed watching these.

M30263
08-13-2005, 09:47 PM
THANKS!!!

I really enjoyed watching these.

I'm glad you enjoyed them.... some pretty awesome flying to say the least eh! I've bought my third Flat-Out plane now and am really enjoying not having to clean up after every flight. Anyone with building tips, radio set-up, throw set-ups etc is more than welcome to post them here... I'm looking for ways to set mine up since I'm new to 3D flight. I'm used to flying my P51 doing the usual strafes and my Rascal 40 is just a floater. I'm giving serious thought to buying the Rare Bear and the Mat Chapman Cap 580 which can be viewed here --------------------------------> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEH2&P=0 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEH2&P=0) :eek: I'd like to make the Cap electric so if anyone has done this already, I'd sure appreciate some input! Thanks! I'm probably going to stick to gas on the Rare Bear just for the sake of the sound and smoke... hehehe

PHIL I.
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
:D
What I do after talkin to the guy at FANCYFOAM was to take AA wool and 'clean' the carbon rod. Then using a Q-tip dipped in GRILLA GLUE, swab the slot for the carbon rod. Just make sure its just wet. DO NOT GLOB IT ON.... A little goes a long way... Lay the tube in the slot. Cover with BLUE painters tape and put some old R/C flying mags over it for 5-6 hrs. The glue foams slightly and fills all the way to the tape.

I use G. Glue even on assembly of most of the plane. Using the Q-Tip spreading method. It the foam starts to come out. Use a DRY paper towell to pick up the foaming glue. DO NOT USE A WET ANYTHING TO PICK IT UP as water makes it foam more and it looses some of its flexability..

This works for me...
PHIL I.

John.G
08-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Flown my 580 the other day with a AXI 2208/34 with a 10/3.8 prop.well I'd like to say I was thrilled but I can't as the first touch and go was a slam and go as I was alittle noise heavy and thought it would be ok.Well moved some things around and its ready to go up again this time a little smoother I hope.Running Hitec 55 and a 10 amp speed controler as well the battery is a 3 cell/650 lipo.I do have to say even though the plane was a little noise heavy it did impress me and the guys with the vertical but not so much with the 3-D as I said noise heavy,hope it is fixed.Has anyone had the firewall pull of because on the last hard throttle the motor went and the plane stayed on the ground(fixed that as well).I myself am new to the flatflyers but I can see myself doing more.John

M30263
08-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Flown my 580 the other day with a AXI 2208/34 with a 10/3.8 prop.well I'd like to say I was thrilled but I can't as the first touch and go was a slam and go as I was alittle noise heavy and thought it would be ok.Well moved some things around and its ready to go up again this time a little smoother I hope.Running Hitec 55 and a 10 amp speed controler as well the battery is a 3 cell/650 lipo.I do have to say even though the plane was a little noise heavy it did impress me and the guys with the vertical but not so much with the 3-D as I said noise heavy,hope it is fixed.Has anyone had the firewall pull of because on the last hard throttle the motor went and the plane stayed on the ground(fixed that as well).I myself am new to the flatflyers but I can see myself doing more.John

Hey John, try taking a piece of 1/8" hollow carbon rod and using foam safe CA glue that along the bottom of the 580's center body... I glued mine approximately 4 inches behind the aileron servo to approximately 2 1/2 inches from the nose. The extra weight of the battery, receiver, ESC and all tends to make that area a weak spot if you should have a hard landing. I fly mine outside all the time so I beefed that area up since mine wanted to split in that area. This will also give you some extra tail weight too. A good burst of wind can drive that plane in hard even on a nice approach! LOL... all in fun eh!?! I'm having a blast with my flat-outs! :D

Michael

John.G
08-22-2005, 03:37 AM
Well it fly's but it was alittle bit on the windy side today around 25 and gusting but I build to fly not look at.It did all that I asked of it not very straight but then again this thing is not meant to fly in high wind.I had move things but I'll have to wait for a calm day to see just how well it will fly.But as to your what you suggested I may try it if this thing needs some improvements.Thanks,John

M30263
08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
:D
What I do after talkin to the guy at FANCYFOAM was to take AA wool and 'clean' the carbon rod. Then using a Q-tip dipped in GRILLA GLUE, swab the slot for the carbon rod. Just make sure its just wet. DO NOT GLOB IT ON.... A little goes a long way... Lay the tube in the slot. Cover with BLUE painters tape and put some old R/C flying mags over it for 5-6 hrs. The glue foams slightly and fills all the way to the tape.

I use G. Glue even on assembly of most of the plane. Using the Q-Tip spreading method. It the foam starts to come out. Use a DRY paper towell to pick up the foaming glue. DO NOT USE A WET ANYTHING TO PICK IT UP as water makes it foam more and it looses some of its flexability..

This works for me...
PHIL I.

Hey Phil, I've got two more Flat-outs coming in as soon as the things come off back order! I guess they are selling like hot-cakes. I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks for the tip... :D

Michael

sb13
08-23-2005, 02:09 AM
I just flew my 580 for the first time last night and did'nt even have to trim it! It flew level and straight at half throttle. I had to add some right and down thrust though becouse at high speeds it pulled up and to the left hard. I have the rimfire on mine too. On landing the LG did tear through the wing slightly though. I took off the LG tonight and added 2 foam pieces, one on each side of the servo, for it to belly land on. Can't wait to try it.

M30263
08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I just flew my 580 for the first time last night and did'nt even have to trim it! It flew level and straight at half throttle. I had to add some right and down thrust though becouse at high speeds it pulled up and to the left hard. I have the rimfire on mine too. On landing the LG did tear through the wing slightly though. I took off the LG tonight and added 2 foam pieces, one on each side of the servo, for it to belly land on. Can't wait to try it.

Hey Scott, I think I've got the problem with the gear wanting to tear back into the wing figured out. I used a combination of two threads that were posted to my query. I used some 220 grit sand paper, where all the carbon connections are made, to etch the surface then used regular CA instead of the foam safe CA on all of the carbon to plastic/carbon connections. I also recommend adding the 1/8" hollow carbon rod to the bottom of the fuselage to beef that area up since it's going to take the brunt force from a hard landing, it also helped me balance the plane more towards the tail for 3D flight. With the battery and the receiver as far back as I could get it, (between the two struts/braces), it was still a little nose heavy for my liking. If anyone else has some building tips for these Flat-outs, please feel free to post them on here! I'm still waiting for my Reflection that's on back-order.... *sigh*, I can't wait to get that one airborne! :D

Michael

atique
10-18-2005, 02:44 PM
I have ordered Flatana from Great Planes.
I want to know how big is the box.
i live in UAE, some body will bring it for me

M30263
10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
I have ordered Flatana from Great Planes.
I want to know how big is the box.
i live in UAE, some body will bring it for me The box is aprox. 48"x16"x2.5"

atique
10-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks a lot M30263
Is it possible to open the box and repack in a smaller bag of 32 inches length

M30263
10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks a lot M30263
Is it possible to open the box and repack in a smaller bag of 32 inches length I suppose you could pack it in a shorter box depending on the legnth of the plane or the wing span. :cool:

atique
10-21-2005, 08:31 PM
thanks a lot... regards
ateeq

mkranitz
02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45053#post45053

Check out this thread for the RCU Flat Out Bipe produced by GP.