PDA

View Full Version : Wattage DR1 Triplane

Daylight99
08-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi friends
Has anyone flown one of these? Hobby People is having a sale this weekend and they are going for $49.00 while supply lasts. I guess for the price I can't go wrong but I still like to know how they fly.....or don't fly :<:

Bob Russell

dbcisco
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
That's about half off. I couldn't find this sale on their site but I did see free shipping on sales over $25! The wattage fokker is stated as all wood construction and at that price I would buy one if I had the money available just to see what it was like.

Daylight99
08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I just got back from the store with one in hand and its a little smaller than the Electrofly model but the construction looks to be solid and well built. One thing that I'm wonding about is the way they mount the motor, Its dead square with no off-set to the right or down. Maybe on a model this small its not needed?

Bob Russell

dbcisco
08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Same as on the Wattage Sopwith. It has no offset built in. I used bass wood plates behind and in front of the firewall that I can replace with any offset I wish to use. I am starting off with no offset and see how much (if any) I need. It is difficult to get CG so a little useful weight in the nose seemed a better idea than dead weight to balance.

dbcisco
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
How about some pics. Please:D

dbcisco
08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I am surprised there aren't more responses to this. If the Fokker is like my Sopwith, it's a pretty nice plane. Wish I could get one of those Fokkers. Sadly. I am broke until spring.

7car7
08-29-2008, 06:44 PM
What's the proposed weight for this little guy?

dbcisco
08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Here's what I found: Same model? Listed at $80

WattAge Fokker DR.1 Triplane ARF (all wood)

The Fokker Dr.1 is possibly the most famous and recognizable fighter plane of World War One. The three wings produce tremendous lift, and with its small size and weight, it could out climb and out-turn almost any opponent.

Specifications:
Top Wing Span: 26.5 In (673mm)
Middle Wing Span:24.5 In (622mm)
Bottom Wing Span:22.5 In (572mm)
Total Wing Area: 280 SqIn (18.06dm2)
Length: 22.5 In (572mm)
Functions: Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder and Throttle
Radio Required: 4+-Channel w/4 micro servos and micro Rx
Motor Required: KMS 31/12 Direct-drive brushless outrunner
ESC Required: KMS 18Amp brushless
Battery Required: Impulse 3-Cell 900 mAH LiPo

Features:
Laser-cut balsa and light-ply construction for accuracy, strength and light weight
Covered with real iron-on covering material
Accepts direct-drive brushless outrunner motors or brushed gear-drive motors
Wing mounting system is factory jig-aligned and drilled for precise assembly
Durable landing gear with scale wheels and gear wing
Dual aileron servos
Lightweight carbon-fiber pushrods
Includes all necessary hardware
Fast and easy assembly - Over 65 photos to guide you

scalercflyer
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I have one and it's my winter project. :D Martin

degreen60
08-31-2008, 07:18 PM
I have one and it's my winter project. :D Martin

A red one?

scalercflyer
09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Now what do you Guys think? Red indeed! Guess again! BTW, anyone hear anymore about the Red Baron movie? Martin

dbcisco
09-04-2008, 02:55 AM
How about this for a paint scheme. Post war US Gov't converted Fokker.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/dbcisco/US_fokker.jpg

scalercflyer
09-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Sacrilege!!!!!!! :mad: Martin

G_eronimo
09-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I got one too. :-)

Should I remove the red stuff and put on new cover, or paint it?

I would like to have this one:
http://www.aspeterpan.com/book1/Voss.htm

Uli

WWI Ace
10-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Red triplanes are the best!! Aren't they Martin???!!!! Steve

scalercflyer
10-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Leave him alone Steve! He seems to be the only one around here with any sense. Yes, G, I think that camo scheme is cool. Go for it (and don't listen to Steve! All those Texicans are crazy!!). Martin

G_eronimo
10-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Leave him alone Steve! He seems to be the only one around here with any sense.
:D:D:D:D:D:D;)
Yes, G, I think that camo scheme is cool. Go for it (and don't listen to Steve! All those Texicans are crazy!!).:eek:
Martin

Maybe I should live in Texas too then............
........but wait, it's even worse, I'm German. ;-)

I already painted the plane parts. But I thought a first layer of primer would be better. It covers the red stuff and is a good base for the green and blue paint.

Did I mention, that the plane from Werner Voss will be the 2nd one to build. Because they were on sale, I got another Dr.I and I would like to paint it like one of Richthofen's planes (but not the red one :tc:).
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/w1/cleaver72dr1preview.htm

I am still looking for some ideas to build the guns.:confused:

Some photos will come, when I start assembling. Right now I put on just the paint on the big parts, as it is easier now.

Uli

WWI Ace
10-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey Martin!! Give him the web address for Wright Brothers so he can check out their Spandau gun kits. Steve

scalercflyer
10-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Check these out Geronimo. Martin
http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/products/wwi.htm

G_eronimo
10-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Check these out Geronimo. Martin
http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/products/wwi.htm

Thank you for the info. I found them already by googling.

But, I think I will go the hard way and build them myself. :eek:
There must be some stuff out there (at Michaels or in the WalMart kitchen deparment;)), which can be used for the cooling tube of the gun.
I will find it.
The plane is not meant to be built for a scale competition, so the gun just needs to look like a 08/15 from some distance.

Maybe I will try to put on a picture of the Oberursel-Motor on the outer case of the Outrunner.

Uli

degreen60
10-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Do these look good enough? They are printed paper. I can email you the file to print. If you use an inkjet printer you will need to spray with clear to make them water proof, if printed on a lazer printer it will be water proof(mine need to be water proof cause I fly when the dew is on the grass). I print mine on a heavy paper then fold the body of the gun over foam.

G_eronimo
10-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Degreen,

they look good.:)
Sent you a message with my e-mail-adress.

Edit:
Here are pictures about my actual progress (painting only).
The "original" red Dr.1 is just for comparison. This will be the one for Voss's plane.

Uli

G_eronimo
10-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Thank you degreen for the info. It helped alot.
I used some different materials though.

I made another 2 for the other Dr.1 I have (still in the box).

And then I just saw the advertisement from Tower Hobbies about the D.VII on sale. So I gues, I have to make another 2 (or 3, as I plan to build an E.III some time in the future too).:D
I am waiting right now for a book about E.III aces.

Looks like the hardest part is to put the 3rd wing on straight.
And I have to build some tray for the battery too.

Should I put in Snoopy as a pilot?:cool:

Uli

rhino
10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Your paint schema is looking good, G. Are you going to paint your other one also?

Glacier Girl
10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Figured I'd mention this as I didn't see it posted.

Check the AoA on the top wing. There was an article on this very bird in one of the latest mags, and the author found on his it was off. The front was higher then the rear.

This caused the plane to fly on the top wing only. Making it very heavy wing loading.

I, after reading the article, went out and checked mine. Sure enough, it was as stated in the article. Front was higher then the back. 1/16" shim under each rear strut evened it out.

Oh and at least on mine, I found the covering where the Maltese crosses are, is not laid over the red covering. The red is cut out and the white with the cross is more or less butted up against it.

I was heat shrinking the covering on the top wing and found this one. Ended up having to replace the center section as it tightened up enough it pulled away from where it met the white. A 1/16" thick rib isn't a lot to attach covering too, especially when half of it is already used by the other color covering.

G_eronimo
10-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Your paint schema is looking good, G. Are you going to paint your other one also?
I will repaint it a bit with more olive green. The one I used is too green.

The other one will look like this one:
http://hegewisch.net/blindkat/voss/48kills.html
As it is one of the 3 oroginal prototypes, it will look a little different then all the others. I tested the paint on this one first. Voss's has to be less green, so that you can see more of the blue shining through.

I like some other Dr.I paint schemes too. Like the one from Lt. Weiss. His name means "white" in english. So guess how his plane looks like?;-)

Uli

Glacier Girl
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Well if you like the Wattage, you might consider the next step up.
These two from NitroPlanes. I have the red one now, really nice kit.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/gasfodr5590s.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/fodr90ensi55.html

G_eronimo
02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Yesterday I went out to the field for the first flight.
But it was very short, 4 - 5 s or so :sad:
First I forgot, how bad a plane with just a wooden stick instead of a tailwheel behaves on asphalt. A little more speed and it turned around itself.
So carefull accelerate straight into the wind with lots of rudder corrections and it finally came off the ground...........
........to loose both wheels immediately :eek:
and followed these wheels back to the ground. :{

Upper wing loose, firewall and prop broken, cowling scratched.
Repaired within 20 min. at home plus an additional tailwheel. :D
Oh, and the wheels are locked now ;-)

Ready for the next try. :tc:
I could barely get the right CoG. I had to use a 3s 2100 mAh LiPo all the way up front.

@GlacierGirl
I don't buy the bigger planes. They look nice and behave much better then the small ones, but they are way more expensive itself and their equipment (bigger motors, bigger batteries) too.

But I think I will build a 3rd one made of Depron, as I found more interesting paint schemes. I definitely need one with Voss's scheme (maybe the Depron built, because it has already a light base color). And there will be another one with the scheme from Degelow or Jacobs (black with personal paintjobs). So no red one. ;-)

Uli

rhino
02-03-2009, 12:51 AM
She'll fly again; congrats on your maiden. I'm sure your next flight will be much better.

7car7
02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Bummer about the crash, but yes, it'll fly again. I love your prop. I always paint my props, but I've not really done the laminated look. I need to do that.

G_eronimo
02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I always paint my props, but I've not really done the laminated look. I need to do that.
I am thinking about a more conventional prop, maybe even wood. It will be easier to paint like this. But for the next flight a regular GWS prop should do the job.

Uli

G_eronimo
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
It took a while for the next attempt as we moved back to Germany.::o

I think something is wrong with the plane. At first I flew (more or less) with no differential for the ailerons, which turned out to be a very bad idea. If I used the ailerons the plane did not turn (at least not to the side it should have). Just the wing dropped to one side and the plane turned to the other side.:confused:
So I programmed aileron differential with 50% (down) and 100% (up). Still the same. Turning was only possible by rudder.
As we had some strong wind, I did not manage to land on our field. The plane was just blown away. The only thing I could do was, turning off the motor just before it was out of sight. I could barely see it at all.
After 15 min. walk and seek, I found it just sitting on the ground. Only damage was a broken prop and the motor came loose.

The angles of the wings look o.k.
Maybe more differential (30% or less).

....and less wind.......

And the covering came loose on several parts. Looks like the did not glue it very good.

Any other ideas to improve the handling?

Uli

7car7
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Any other ideas to improve the handling?

Uli

Wow, been a while!
Does your radio have mixing? If so, you can add in some rudder to the ailerons. I love it that way. The experts can do the mixing themselves, I'm sure, but I like the "reliability" of knowing it's there if things get wierd.