PDA

View Full Version : A fallen stryker, soon to be named Pheonix...

DragonWeezel
08-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Last night, I finalized a stryker build with some "test installed", stearable landing gear, and a blue LED lasercannon in the cockpit to make the nose glow.

Taxi and take off rocked! no more throw and pull! No more tingly fingertips from blade strikes (I have thick skin:))! Flew out, landed, flew out landed, adjusted nose gear. Some guy comes to the parking lot, talks to me for a bit about it. Wants to see it fly. I flew out, did loops / rolls to make sure performance was O.K.;-) Landed it, and made a quick "up elevator" adjustment, then flew out again. "WOW this is great!" I thought to myself. Knowing the wife was waiting at home, I brought her down to about 100' at 200yds out for the approach.

????WTF? Throttle cuts for 1/2 a second, then the plane banks right, then left, I counter each movement and get a sick feeling in my stomach, then it nose dives and spins into the ground. Strikers don't nosedive unless you tell them too. Not that fast. It's really hard to do w/o input if they're set up right.

So either I hit some funky interferance (I had fresh bats on my tx) or someone shot me down. Now I am looking hard for a dx6i if the price is right or a dx7. I have never been so mad in my life! The plane was flying like a dream, no issues at all. Was flying straight and level on the small side of an L shaped leg before what would have been my long glide to the landing zone.
:sad::sad::sad:

The Blue Pheonix will rise again.

FlyWheel
08-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Such is the nature of the Phoenix. Magnificent bird, but dies in flames. Only to be re-born from the ashes.

Hope you get her back in the air OK.

Pudknocker71
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't know...when I lost all power to my Stryker it nose dived from 3-400 feet up. Luckily a watery swamp broke it's fall. No ill effects to the electronics accept the battery ejected (lost). The motor was to blame...well the builder anyway (me). Loose motor mount.