PDA

View Full Version : E-Sky Belt-CP experiences

miru
09-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Back on January 2008 I took delivery on a brand new Belt-CP from E-Sky for about $190. I thought this was a pretty good deal for a 400 size heli, compared what I had to shell out for my B400 and a TREX 450SE kit. Let me tell you folks, "you get what you pay for"! And this is where the story begins:
Charged the LiPo and put it in the compartment where the instructions say it should go. It turned out that the heli is so tail heavy, that I had to stick the battery so far out up front that the canopy would not fit anymore. The maiden spoolup and hover was, to say the least, quite an experience, It was very unstable (in a NO wind condition) and took forever to respond to the sticks on the TX. When I gave it right cyclic, it would eventually go this way, but would not follow the control stick once it was released. It needed quite a bit of counter cyclic to return to get it back to 'normal'. The same applied to forward/backward cyclic. After this experience I checked the head and the servos, leaving the fact that the tail does not hold with the built in gyro aside. It turned out, that the whole head was really tight and the servos did not have enough umph to overcome this. Loosening up some screws, noticing there are no step washers on some of the joints, I decided to take the whole head apart and add whatever is necessary to 'loosen' it up. After this procedure everything moved freely and the servos had no problem moving the swashplate. From this point on the heli sort of worked, but was nowhere near the performance of my other helis. So I put it on the shelf, chapter experience "you get what you pay for".
Then one day on the flying field I met a guy who really is into E-Sky helis and he convinced me to revive the 'dead' duck. At the same time E-Sky started dumping aluminum heads&tails for $40, so I thought to give it another try. Ordered the upgrade and rebuilt the heli with a new head and tail. While I was at it I changed the servos to HITECH-HBs and put a GY401 with a S3152 servo in. The new aluminum head destroyed itself on a spoolup to speed, so the heli did not even leave the ground before it broke. Yet another one of those "you get what you pay for". Being somewhat persistent, I ordered another upgrade assembly for $40 to replace the parts which failed with the first upgrade (this time I got the purple one). It turned out that the new kit was much better made in terms of parts actually fitting, but it had a stripped ball srew on the washout base. At this point I got fed up with this wonderful piece of Chinese engineering and quality control. I found a good deal on an Align 450V2 head and decided to try that, since my faith in E-Sky producing a working head had somewhat gone South. This change, of coarse, did not come without implications. The E-Sky main shaft is too short to accommodate the Align head, I had to use a B400 main shaft and shave off one end to make the 'Jesus pin' fit. Of coarse, now all the servo links to the swashplate are too short and I'll have to deal with that tomorrow... but I am hopeful that it is going to work this time.
I am telling this experience because if the Belt-CP would have been my first heli, I would have dropped this hobby in a heartbeat. If you look at my tab in terms of $$ that were necessary to get this heli going, the money would have been better spent buying something that works from the getgo.

quadracer111
09-08-2008, 02:23 AM
thanks for that. Very interesting

bassplayinDude
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I feel the same way regarding my ESky HBK2 heli. Many people rave about this little bird and I've seen much video showing how great it is to fly, but I can't get the tail solid to save my life. I've benched it and continue to fly with my Blade 400 and ESky HBFP. I'd love to get the HBK2 into the air, but I'd hate to throw good money after bad.

miru
09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Got the rebuild finished. I am using the aluminum swashplate from the $40 upgrade kit, extended the up links from the servos to accommodate the longer shaft and voila, it works!:) It flys very nice now, all the initial ugly behaviour is gone. I made a battery holder that sits up front, this way I can still mount the canopy when the battery is in place (The canopy morphed into a TREX canopy with the nice holders).

ministeve2003
09-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I've ordered the Belt-cp arf kit from nitroplanes a week ago, and a Flight buddy has the 450 motor and gyro, I'm going to be using hxt900's on it...

I was wondering what battery you all use on them, I've seen everything from a 3cell 1000mah to a 3cell 2250mah, I fly 3d foamys, so I know what the dif is on that for planes, but what would be best for the beltcp, is heavy'er more stable for them? I actually have a few of both of those sizes, and could try a 1500 also...

(I have a CopterX SE loaded with hs65's in the mail but I wanted a practice heli before I messed up a good one...)

SK

miru
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I use the 3S 1800mAh that came with the original heli and get about 5 to 6 minutes if I am not working it too hard.
Michael

TDisaster
09-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Mine flies great, so I'm not sure what was wrong with yours. It balanced perfect right from the box. Maybe the quality control is just bad.

theecoop
09-10-2008, 12:31 AM
I've ordered the Belt-cp arf kit from nitroplanes a week ago, and a Flight buddy has the 450 motor and gyro, I'm going to be using hxt900's on it...

I was wondering what battery you all use on them, I've seen everything from a 3cell 1000mah to a 3cell 2250mah, I fly 3d foamys, so I know what the dif is on that for planes, but what would be best for the beltcp, is heavy'er more stable for them? I actually have a few of both of those sizes, and could try a 1500 also...

(I have a CopterX SE loaded with hs65's in the mail but I wanted a practice heli before I messed up a good one...)

SK
Got photos of the mods you made?

ministeve2003
09-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Got photos of the mods you made?

what mods? I haven't even set it up yet... LOL

Got my Copterx today though... it was supposed to be built and tuned and everything, but apparently someone goof'd... I got no tx/rx with it (no big deal I was gonna change it to my jr9303) and it had most of it in separate pieces... like the head unit and tail units were built but not attached... etc... so even though it stated building and tuning... It wasn't... got all the motor/esc/gyro/hs65's in their original packages...arrrgggg.... Come on I don't even know what half the parts names are... how am I supposed to build it...LOL

SK

theecoop
09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
sorry quoted wrong one

theecoop
09-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Got the rebuild finished. I am using the aluminum swashplate from the $40 upgrade kit, extended the up links from the servos to accommodate the longer shaft and voila, it works!:) It flys very nice now, all the initial ugly behaviour is gone. I made a battery holder that sits up front, this way I can still mount the canopy when the battery is in place (The canopy morphed into a TREX canopy with the nice holders).

this is what I was refering too. Sorry for mixup

miru
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Here are some picture of the mods I made.

ministeve2003
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I may have a RTF kit coming for the belt-cp, since ehirobo didn't assemble my copterx kit, I got them to fix their site (now states that you need to get a tx/rx package as well as the carry case to have it built,) they said they are going to offer me a discount on my next purchase, the catch is... I have to make the purchase before they'll tell me what the discount is....

SO... I ordered a Belt-cp RTF kit, with extras.. extra 1800 battery, training gear, spare blades... $200, and when I went to checkout, I placed the order, but didn't pay for it yet...

That way If I don't like their "discount" I will just cancel it...or leave it hanging in "pending" forever...LOL

the copterx wasn't the first purchase I made with them even though all togeather it was $500, its actually about the 4th order, and I've bought 3 heli's and spare parts from them... so they have a lot of incentive to make good on this...

SK

Balil
09-20-2008, 05:53 AM
i just ordered a belt cp from x-heli.com, the heli w/ extra battery was less than $200 shipped. i should have it by next week, so when i get it i'll let you guys know how it flies... ive had alot of people say that alot of RTF heli's dont fly right out of the box. so far i am 3-1 on this subject, my blade cp+ didnt fly right out of the box, but my cp pro, blade 400, and heli max EZ all flew great out of the box

berryboy63
09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I was going to get a belt cp but I need to know if its a good helicopter and if not what rc helicopter should i get. :confused:

berryboy63
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
N/A

ministeve2003
09-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I tried my Belt CP rtf kit, It was terrible, bladesholders flexed so bad It was impossible to fix, my arf kit though doesn't have that slop in it... and you really do need a head hold gyro if there is any wind at all.... but since it costs about $120 to upgrade to the metal parts and better gyro, its just not worth it...

I would skip the belt CP...

Look at the Walkera 60B with all metal upgrades RTF, costs a little more, but is totally worth it..... comes built, (check everything over before you fly anyways) I have on of those coming in the mail.... I'll let you know how it is in a couple days... $40 more for brushless... and they can install it for free....

got mine at ehirobo.com

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=82_90&products_id=4017

SK

berryboy63
09-30-2008, 12:24 AM
how do you post

ministeve2003
09-30-2008, 01:53 AM
how do you post

I guess You figured it out...LOL
SK

Balil
09-30-2008, 05:13 AM
well i found the first problem w/ my belt cp.. the single rate gyro it came with draws too much current and makes the LVC kick in mid flight. i was out flying the other day and the motor just stopped about 10ft in the air.... and if you've flown a 450 before you know how difficult they are to auto... well it went down on the tail. everything is fine except the boom. bent it back to straight w/ a dowel from the inside *great tip for belt driven heli's since the minor dents do not interfer w/ the belt itself* im currently on the hunt for my eflite g110 hh gyro and see if that doesnt help... i just hope i dont have to replace the esc. the connectors on the motor are smaller than the regular bullet type connectors. so id have to unsolder and resolder them or change out the motor and esc. which i dont want to do.

theecoop
09-30-2008, 05:53 AM
how do you post

Well as you found how to post at the bottom of the current thread you are in or from the main topic you click on new thread icon which is located at the top left corner.
Hope this helps you

Darthdrk
11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I have many belt Cps, several came as RTFs. So far I havent had to many problems with the helis. The only issues I have had has been the stock ESC, I have toasted about three of them they are really bottom line escs and Ive also had a couple of the rate gyros go bad. Besides that, nothing really else to report. Out of a total of about five of them, I do have one that flys a little different. It seems like it has more EXPO than my others. Not sure what it is but it is a little slower as far as reacting to control inputs. Ive even tried different transmitters and still no change. I think it may have something to do with the ESC BEC. My other Belts are pretty snappy as I control them. Looping and rolling are pretty snappy . I think for the most part the belt cp is a pretty decent entry level/sport heli.

Druss
11-22-2008, 06:24 AM
At the same time E-Sky started dumping aluminum heads&tails for $40, so I thought to give it another try. Ordered the upgrade and rebuilt the heli with a new head and tail. While I was at it I changed the servos to HITECH-HBs and put a GY401 with a S3152 servo in. The new aluminum head destroyed itself on a spoolup to speed, so the heli did not even leave the ground before it broke. Yet another one of those "you get what you pay for". Being somewhat persistent, I ordered another upgrade assembly for $40 to replace the parts which failed with the first upgrade (this time I got the purple one). It turned out that the new kit was much better made in terms of parts actually fitting, but it had a stripped ball srew on the washout base.

I would also like to note that most of the $40 "esky" heads are not genuine esky heads. I have a genuine set and it cost me over $100 for the head. I'd like to post a pic but I can't yet....