PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Lobby Albatros DV

dai phan
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

Wow! Check this out. I am gonna to get one!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/albatros.htm

DP

7car7
09-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I really like this one, and they did a GREAT job of it, but wow, too pricey for me. Seems that about 1/2 that price should be appropriate.

But it is light, and seems to fly VERY nicely.

dai phan
09-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Yep. At 149.00 and motor, esc, batt and servos will be 300.00 bucks for a small parkflyer. Alfa needs to make planes that are comparable to Eflite series at 50.00 bucks a piece. I think cost is one thing that will be an issue for many. As for me, since I am a heir to a railroad and shipping tycoon, I will buy at least 5 of them (for spare of course...) yeah... I wish DP

7car7
09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I think this model is certainly worth more than the eflight series, but less than Electrifly (Great Planes).

degreen60
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I think this model is certainly worth more than the eflight series, but less than Electrifly (Great Planes).

This looks like a replacement for the Kavan Simprop Albatros except it is a 4 channel plane. I think the molded foam makes a good fuselage for the plywood Albatros fuselage.

dai phan
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
This looks like a replacement for the Kavan Simprop Albatros except it is a 4 channel plane. I think the molded foam makes a good fuselage for the plywood Albatros fuselage.

This plane is way above Simprop since I am familiar with Alfa WWII warbird series. The Simprop is too fragile and a bear to assemble. I do not know if I can be ready to fly that Albatros so I will have to wait till I am more proficient. DP

Bill G
09-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Looks nice. I almost bought the red Kavan which I really liked, but was pricey. This one certainly is not cheaper, although Alfas are good planes. Still like to see it at $100.

My disconnect here is that WWI planes call to be built with wood, and scale detail. If I'm gonna go foamy, I'd probably sacrifice some scale likeness and detail for something like the Eflite SE5A, at less than half the price.

I think this model is certainly worth more than the eflight series, but less than Electrifly (Great Planes).Yes, in terms of value, the balsa ARFs are really much better than most foamies. For the price, some of the balsa ARFs out there now are real bargains.

IndyJones
10-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi all,

Wow! Check this out. I am gonna to get one!

DP

Hi folks, new here... just finished mine this week and waiting for a nice calm day.

Bill G
10-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi folks, new here... just finished mine this week and waiting for a nice calm day.
Since you know the Alfa is going to be an excellent easy flyer, that's where you need to make sure to beat Murphy at his game.:D That's how it seems to work for me. Take the time and check it all over.

dai phan
11-20-2008, 02:34 PM

Hi there,

Simply such a beautiful plane. If it flies like the Eflite series I will buy it. Let me know if it is within the skill for someone who already can fly 3 channel planes. DP

dai phan
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

Please post if available. Thanks DP

floss
11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Indyjones

The aileron set-up looks interesting, any pics of how the hardware inside the wing looks?

Steve

Big Fran
11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi all,

Well I just finished my Albatros. I went with the MP Jet 22/7 -60D Mk2 with a APC 8X6 SF prop, Castle Creations Phoenix-10, AR6100E Rx and 3 hextronics 5 g. servos. I hope to fly at SJSF indoor fun fly on 11/29. I don't have a scale so I don't knot the weight. She sure looks nice. http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Anyone have one of these?

Here are some pics.

7car7
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Indyjones

The aileron set-up looks interesting, any pics of how the hardware inside the wing looks?

Steve

I'm guessing it's just a tube and wire pushing and pulling through the tube? Seems that would have a lot of friction for a tiny servo.

dai phan
11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi all,

Well I just finished my Albatros. I went with the MP Jet 22/7 -60D Mk2 with a APC 8X6 SF prop, Castle Creations Phoenix-10, AR6100E Rx and 3 hextronics 5 g. servos. I hope to fly at SJSF indoor fun fly on 11/29. I don't have a scale so I don't knot the weight. She sure looks nice. http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Anyone have one of these?

Here are some pics.

How is the quality of the foam? Is it strong or easily dented? DP

Big Fran
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
How is the quality of the foam? Is it strong or easily dented? DP
The foam will dent easy but not as easy as a GWS. It has a coating over it. It is the same with all the Alfa planes I have.

Fran

Big Fran
11-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing it's just a tube and wire pushing and pulling through the tube? Seems that would have a lot of friction for a tiny servo.
Yes it has thin tubing running through the wing with thin wire in the tubes. The servo mounts in the wing between the wire control rods. Both control rods go through a small tube in a dubro type quick connect on the servo. I took both of my rods out and lubed them with Vaseline and they work very smooth.

Fran

lechauve
11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I am interested but does it fly in wind? RoGrass? Or is it strictly an indoor job ???? Thanks for any input

Big Fran
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I just made the maiden flight last night. I flew it at an indoor lacrosse field. I did a little taxi test on the fake turf then up she went. I only flew about 4 or 5 action packed circuits before safely landing. The place I was flying at is 85 yards. X 38 yards. and it was to small. There was a lot of traffic as well. I think when I get a chance to take the Albatros outside she will really shine. She did fly very well for the short time I had it up but it was pretty fast. I hope to fly her again soon. Very nice plane. If your into WW1 planes I highly recommend this one.

Fran

jjordison
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi guys...

Finished my Alfa Albatros, repainted to represent a Jasta 28 DVa flown by Max Muller...haven't added the "comet" on the sides. A great model, easy to build, solid construction. Don't have the all-up weight yet, have not flown the maiden yet (waiting for one of the three calm days in Nebraska). I included a close up of the aileron linkage under the top wing. Using an AXI 2204/54 and TP 740/7.4 2 cell. I'll let you know how the first flight goes...

HobbyJumper
09-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Looking through some old threads I found this one.

This plane looks so cool I would have thought everybody here would have one, but that doesn't seem to have happened. In fact I haven't seen it mentioned.

What's the scoop on this release, anybody?

TM4197
09-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Alfa models are great planes, but they are very expensive for the size plane. I have a few WWll alfas and they fly great. I'd wait for the Spad that HK is going to have in stock soon! They are probably not far off making the Alba either.