PDA

View Full Version : how to get the super decathalon flying well

ozcoz
01-21-2006, 09:02 PM
cant get in air always crashing and breaking the prop. The plane feels unstable and dives to either side quickly. It's almost as if the CG is too far back, but it's not really adjustable, any suggestions?

watt_the?!
01-21-2006, 09:08 PM
mate, this is a nasty little plane to fly....it has a tendency to tip stall as soon as the mix of airspeed and AoA arrives.....the only way to correct that is to bend in some washout on the wing tips.

the other way is to always fly it relatively fast, and keep the nose from going too high.

i've flown my friends several times for him and he picked it up as a beginner's plane....it's not thats for sure.

if you want to test the CoG theory, try taping some lead to the nose...i've never tried this but it may help.

Tim.

Don Sims
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
BTW OZ welcome to the site!! Tim is totally correct, it's not a beginners plane!!

watt_the?!
01-22-2006, 12:07 AM
hey mate, if you were sold it by your LHS and they told you it was a beginner's plane, go back there and tell them we sent you....give them this url...

ive been lucky enough to have maidened a number of these park zone (we are assuming that it is this one) RTFs and the P51 is better to fly and so is the stryker.

Now, im not wanting to bum you out about your purchase thats for sure, rather i want to let you know to hang in there as the issue is most likely not you!...fly the decathlon in little or no wind, keep the nose low and fly her at high throttle.

for landing, bring her in at high angle throttle off, or fly her in at shallow angle, highish speed to avoid tipstall.

Tim...PS thanks Don.

k-vette
01-22-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm trying to help ozcoz get this plane in the air and it's been difficult. Hopefully we'll get a little more testing done this week and get it in the air and flying ok. Weight in the nose helped, sounds like the washout might be the thing to do. The hobby shop also sold a pz p-51 as a first plane.:confused: I may have to have a little chat with them if I ever go down there... I haven't been to that particular hobby shop.