PDA

View Full Version : OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

CHELLIE
09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Ok ,Who crashed their Aircraft today, and what caused the Crash, FAA crash Investigation Not needed to Determine cause :Q In under 100 words, better less than 10, Explain the best you Can ????the nature of the cause

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
2. Dumb Thumbs, not considered pilot Error :Q :D ;-)
3. Mechanical failure
4. Looking at Cute Girl walking By
5. looking at Cute Guy walking By
6. looking at Cute Girl and Cute Guy walking By :p>
7.UFO used particle Beam weapon and fried Receiver and lipo and caused other Damages
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above

CHELLIE
09-21-2008, 10:31 PM
#7 ---Maybe #8 :) Crashed EDF, epoxy came loose at motor mount, particle beam weapon from UFO melted glue joint, that caused Crash. :roll: pictures at 10pm

max2112
09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
#7 ---- Crashed EDF, epoxy came loose at motor mount, particle beam weapon from UFO melted glue joint, that caused Crash. :roll: pictures at 10pm

You gotta watch out for those #7's.

Sorry to hear that Chellie! Was the airframe salvagable?
You know we love hi-res pics of carnage around here.:silly:

When AnglerHi and I were flying this morning there was music coming from the hills. It was heavy machine gun fire! Some unit was running a .50 cal range today.:tc:

vax6335
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
This didn't happen today, but I'll tell the story because I just dug the plane out of the closet last night.

E-flite Yak 54. The thin white Quique kind. The first time I flew it, I was impatient and tried flying it in a school yard under a lamp in the middle of the night. There wasn't enough light, I lost sight and broke it in half. So that would be number 1- Pilot Error.

The second time, after I rebuilt it, I threw it in the air (daytime this time) and asked myself, "why isn't aileron response on this thing that great?"
Suddenly it went into a spin, and broke up pretty good this time. Post crash investigation found that I overlooked one important thing. I forgot to put the aileron servo arm screws in. As soon as I had moved the ailerons, the servo arms popped off. That's why the ailerons acted lazy and finally spun in. So that would be a #1 and #3 :o

CHELLIE
09-21-2008, 11:25 PM
This didn't happen today, but I'll tell the story because I just dug the plane out of the closet last night.

E-flite Yak 54. The thin white Quique kind. The first time I flew it, I was impatient and tried flying it in a school yard under a lamp in the middle of the night. There wasn't enough light, I lost sight and broke it in half. So that would be number 1- Pilot Error.

The second time, after I rebuilt it, I threw it in the air (daytime this time) and asked myself, "why isn't aileron response on this thing that great?"
Suddenly it went into a spin, and broke up pretty good this time. Post crash investigation found that I overlooked one important thing. I forgot to put the aileron servo arm screws in. As soon as I had moved the ailerons, the servo arms popped off. That's why the ailerons acted lazy and finally spun in. So that would be a #1 and #3 :o

I have done that too :red: Now i check over a build or repair very very close :D

CHELLIE
09-21-2008, 11:26 PM

When AnglerHi and I were flying this morning there was music coming from the hills. It was heavy machine gun fire! Some unit was running a .50 cal range today.:tc:

the wing is good shape, just need to make a new, redesigned profile fuselage :D

Bub Steve
09-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Dang near done the SS in yesterday when I got low and close to the tree line I planed to just Half loop and fly her out inverted and climb-out but got a tad to far over and thought I'd finish the loop, half-loop again and go on but she did'nt quite make it over and went in WOT!! Oh-Well,,, she's all fixed now except a prop I made out good,, your bub, steve

groundrushesup
09-22-2008, 01:00 AM
#3 Mechanical Failure. :blah: Lost my fav chuck conversion yesterday lockout 2 minutes into the flight bad video to follow. Figured out it was prob with DX7 antenna (I hope) or else I will be posting here again soon lol

SKavXP8t35U

1320fastback
09-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Last week was #3. Ground wire pulled out of EC3 connector in mid flight.
Wait does dumb thumbs cover soldering also :D

Today though was absoluty perfect, found a new place to fly way closer to my home and had no issues.

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Dang near done the SS in yesterday when I got low and close to the tree line I planed to just Half loop and fly her out inverted and climb-out but got a tad to far over and thought I'd finish the loop, half-loop again and go on but she did'nt quite make it over and went in WOT!! Oh-Well,,, she's all fixed now except a prop I made out good,, your bub, steve

Hi Steve :ws: Glad the crash was not to bad, and its all better Now :D

#3 Mechanical Failure. :blah: Lost my fav chuck conversion yesterday lockout 2 minutes into the flight bad video to follow. Figured out it was prob with DX7 antenna (I hope) or else I will be posting here again soon lol

Bummer, sorry to hear That, I know, What ever can go wrong, will go wrong :confused:

SKavXP8t35U

Last week was #3. Ground wire pulled out of EC3 connector in mid flight.
Wait does dumb thumbs cover soldering also :D

Yes Dumb Thumbs covers that, and a whole lot of other things too :Q

Today though was absoluty perfect, found a new place to fly way closer to my home and had no issues.

Thats great to hear, I always go out flying, Expecting to Crash, and when I dont Crash, Thats Just frosting on the Cake :D And thats why I always take out more than 1 Plane ;)

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 09:51 AM

I am just going to make another one, they are easy to make being a profile plane, I want to make the nose a little longer this time, to aid in getting the CG, and make the bottom of the fuselage a little wider at the bottom, to accept a larger lipo, and i will better secure the EDF this time :) it came loose, Ray, a member of our club, saw the rudder shaking in flight, So we all think the glue or foam broke loose holding the EDF on, Take care, Chellie

Thats Cool, I love to shoot my 50 caliper muzzel loader cap and ball, with black power, me and my boys have been into almost everything, from rc, to guns, fishing, hunting, you name it :D they are all grown up now, so its me, Having all the fun with my Rc Planes and helis :Q Take care, Chellie

darylm44
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I did a runway modification to my Mini Ultra Stick yesterday. Converted it to retractable landing gear.

We had a fair amount of wind and swirling gust on the runway. Thought I was coming in perfect when a gust cough it and drove it into the ground from about 3 feet. Wish I had left the nylon bolts in the gear as it took out the bottom of the plane. Nice clean break so it will fix fine.

idealhobbies
09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Poor Newjak had a BAD weekend. I've been waiting for him to chime in.... the shame I guess. 2 - 4s Lipos killed (about a month old), 1 SAPAC F22, and a blown motor in his F16.

I feel for him.

Side note - Chellie, check the "Stryker how far can I take it" thread. Autorail1 was asking about 4s on the motor that I believe that you have. If I remember correctly, you're running 4s.

Fly Time
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I was maidening my new Yak 55 flat foamie yesterday ($12 Hobby Lobby crash sale special) when the motor came off the mount as I was accelerating out of a hover :eek: The plane came fluttering down with the motor and ESC hanging from the battery. Thankfully all the wires and plugs kept all the parts together and the plane made a gentle semi-controlled landing in the grass. The prop punched a hole in one of the wings, but otherwise no damage.

The Yak is powered by a little TowerPro bell motor which attaches to the firewall mount with two grub screws. For some reason it didn't occur to me to use thread lock on the screws :rolleyes:

Chellie: I think you need to add "builder error" to your list :D

newjak
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Poor Newjak had a BAD weekend. I've been waiting for him to chime in.... the shame I guess. 2 - 4s Lipos killed (about a month old), 1 SAPAC F22, and a blown motor in his F16.

I feel for him.

Side note - Chellie, check the "Stryker how far can I take it" thread. Autorail1 was asking about 4s on the motor that I believe that you have. If I remember correctly, you're running 4s.

Well, I WAS prepared to suffer in solitude. I guess misery loves company! I just placed an order to replace the lipos and motor. I will tackle the F-22 tomorow

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

I feel for him.

Ok, I will go over and see if I can help, Thank You, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, I WAS prepared to suffer in solitude. I guess misery loves company! I just placed an order to replace the lipos and motor. I will tackle the F-22 tomorow

LOL :D :D :D Its better if we all Suffer Together :$ ;-) :silly:Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I was maidening my new Yak 55 flat foamie yesterday ($12 Hobby Lobby crash sale special) when the motor came off the mount as I was accelerating out of a hover :eek: The plane came fluttering down with the motor and ESC hanging from the battery. Thankfully all the wires and plugs kept all the parts together and the plane made a gentle semi-controlled landing in the grass. The prop punched a hole in one of the wings, but otherwise no damage.

The Yak is powered by a little TowerPro bell motor which attaches to the firewall mount with two grub screws. For some reason it didn't occur to me to use thread lock on the screws :rolleyes:

Chellie: I think you need to add "builder error" to your list :D

I think Your Right :Q :Q :Q Fire that Builder :D Take Care, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I did a runway modification to my Mini Ultra Stick yesterday. Converted it to retractable landing gear.

We had a fair amount of wind and swirling gust on the runway. Thought I was coming in perfect when a gust cough it and drove it into the ground from about 3 feet. Wish I had left the nylon bolts in the gear as it took out the bottom of the plane. Nice clean break so it will fix fine.

At Least you got a Clean Break ;-) I cant seem to get any kind of a Break :silly: :D ;-) Chellie

diverdon
09-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks sooooo much for posting that crash it makes me feel tons better .. To know that even YOU can have problems is great .. Don't get me wrong I am sorry you had the crash and destruction you did but ....

So how have you been otherwise ?? Have you seen the new plane Dave Powers is doing with all of the servos and gyros ?? He has Elevons and so many other things GYROS? on this plane talk about having equipment problems :roll:..

Did you get the foam sample I sent you .. I want a plane .. Super cub or easy star made out of this . Have to use some carbon F. but there is no more Breakage or crumbling foam ... I'm thinking of a Magpie type fuselage style ..IF .. I can find where to purchase this foam ..

Well cheer up pretty girls like you are'nt allowed to be down .. Just think you could be me .. 1 successful flight ..I should be embarassed to even admit that but I will "Get it" someday .. You stay out of trouble and THANKS again for all of the help you've given me , Don J.

Ok ,Who crashed there Aircraft today, and what caused the Crash, FAA crash Investigation Not needed to Determine cause :Q In under 100 words, better less than 10, Explain the best you Can ????the nature of the cause

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
3. Mechanical failure
7.UFO used particle Beam weapon and fried Receiver and lipo and caused other Damages
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above

CHELLIE
09-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Hi Don :ws: yes I got the foam you sent me, interesting stuff huh, I find it also in packaging, an Idea, you might go to a shipping store that packages stuff for you, to be sent in the mail, they might have some supplys like this foam, just an Idea ???? Oh I crash from time to time, if you fly rc, you are going to crash, thats all there is to it, but its nice when you dont crash :D I go out flying, Expecting to crash, and when i dont crash, thats just frosting on the cake :p> take care, Chellie

tommytorino
09-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Ill take #9. Midair at NEAT 2008 night balloon attack! 23 planes attacking one helium balloon at night.

Was it worth writing off my nite flyer, you betcha!!!

Tommy D

Monkeyboy
10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
I had to make a rough unitended landing with the Super cub today.

found a new place to fly only 1/4 mile from my house.
2nd week flying. still working on the landing :D

first flight went fine only nosed on landing.

second round not so well. shortly after take off the controls felt funny.
Wouldn't hold in turns didn't fly straight and would flutter up and down.
decided to bring it in for inspect.
I barely have control of the plane as I am new :D
This was like I was drunk flying in 40 mph winds.
touched down then did a cartwheel. snapped tail off.

looks like the servos came loose after my rough landing or bad factory glue job.
All fixed now.

j33p3r
10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Well mine wasnt today, infact it will be back flying today.
SAPAC t34 mentor RTF.
finally got CG right and it flew great (the brushless one) for some reason when I would back completely off and re-accelerate, the motor would not restart and it would land, HARD.
check connections, checked response. Did another range check. all ok.
Put it back up and was flying for ages, 6 minutes or so. then it lost power for about a second and came good again. Time to land it to check again. Landed about 100 yards away so I was walking over when I could see the smoke.

SO tell me does it count as a crash when you bring it in and it catches fire?
It seems that I lost the ESC and the motor in whatever the mishap/ connection failure was. I have emailed Raidentech and have not heard back from their returns dept.
It also burnt some foam and turned the motor mount into a dripping mess.
It should be back in the air tonight with a bigger better power system. This is my first plane too. 2 weeks old and it looks more like a demolition derby plane with the fron tend I had to fabricate!

Fly Time
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
...I have emailed Raidentech and have not heard back from their returns dept.

Let us know how that goes. Raidentech doesn't have the best rep for customer service.

BTW, that is quite a plane to have as your first! Consider yourself lucky that it still flies at all after 2 weeks :rolleyes:. That is not knocking the plane. Most noobs would have turned a EDF foamie into packing peanuts in that amount of time, so you must be a fast learner.

j33p3r
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I just got off an instant message session with raidentech!!! I take back their no reply. A tech called steve reports I should have a replacement ESC and motor in 4 - 7 business days!!! thats quicker than I got the plane from them. I'll keep ya posted.

For the fast learner part.. all I can say is REAL FLIGHT G3, anytime the missus runs an errand, run to the pc and practice for 20 minutes.
I was given the instructions that when you can do an inverted circle on purpose in real flight then land it, it is time to buy a 4 channel plane so that is what I did and it worked out well (until above mentioned engine bay fire)

TDisaster
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I've #4'ed too many times to count :D.

Fly Time
10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
For the fast learner part.. all I can say is REAL FLIGHT G3, anytime the missus runs an errand, run to the pc and practice for 20 minutes.
I was given the instructions that when you can do an inverted circle on purpose in real flight then land it, it is time to buy a 4 channel plane so that is what I did and it worked out well (until above mentioned engine bay fire)
Sounds like a good rule of thumb. Actually, when you said SAPAC T-34 Mentor, I was thinking T-38 Talon. I thought SAPAC only made electric ducted fan jets, which would be one helluva plane to learn on :rolleyes:

groundrushesup
10-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Yesterday I was flying my somewhat recalcitrant Funder & Lightning that I now realize I over-thunk... In an effort to enclose the electrnics, I built a semi-hollow fuse. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Up in the air all the control responses were snappy, but obviously there was something wrong with the CG, as the nose would dive whenever I cut the throttle back past 75%.

I was working with the plane, trying to 'get more data' on the problem, when I inadvertently brought it overhead, dumb thumbed for a split second, and recovered just in time to have it belly-flop hard into the ground. Whack.

Hollow fuse was destroyed, and the prop of course was obliterated-but none of the gear was hurt and last night I was able to (with my awesome $20 Hobby Lobby foam cutter (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39080)) cut out a new fuse and glue it on. I flew it today after work and it was dang near perfect. Its in the paint shop as I type. ;-)

Looking forward to many flights on this one, and hope to get my Mk3 Chucker airborne soon too!

GRU

pvtzemerak
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Gah, number 4
What can you expect, im 15, and she said.
"hi cute plane kid"
darn you pueberty!
~pvt

j33p3r
10-15-2008, 01:39 AM
flying way too low for the speed for my skill level. Coming back at myself trimming it out a little about 100 feet up. not exactly sure what happened. then straight at the ground. Got a stick stuck through the wing, the nose is in 2 piece, the fuselage and wing is another piece and the motor, motor mount and foam attached is the other part. Looks like a concord with the nose tip missing now

groundrushesup
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I got up early today and decided to wring out the Mavrick MkII.

So, yeah... anyone who needs something fragile shipped, I have lots of extra packing foam laying around.

:Q

http://www.vimeo.com/2849838

I am ordering another 2 airframes this morning - I love this little plane!

GRU

max2112
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
So, yeah... anyone who needs something fragile shipped, I have lots of extra packing foam laying around.

GRU

Dang. Sorry to see that, GRU. It was a good video, though!:tc:
Did all of the electrics survive?

Speaking of crashes, I PM'd CPT Easy about all of us getting together to fly. We haven't locked anything in yet. That's when I plan on maidening the GeeBee.

Fly Time
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Doh!!! That was actually very much like my attempts at 3D. In perfect control right until the end of the flight (whenever that may be) :rolleyes:

Nice soundtrack BTW :tc:

Edit: Okay, from now on I'm spelling flight withought the gh and adding an e, like this: flite. See, no links!

Moxus
01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
:P

almost reason 6. 2 persons driving by, probably getting distracted by our aircrafts and forgot to slow down before a corner. slid right off the slippery winter road.
i got distracted by the car crash, wondering if anyone was damaged, so my aircraft went into the deep snow :P
it was just the flybaby, so it survived intact. opposed to the car ;)
no person injuries though, so that was fortunate. and the car was just a volkswagen passat, so who cares, exept for insurance ;)

Bub Steve
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I crash because the plane is up in the air!! bub, steve

groundrushesup
01-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Dang. Sorry to see that, GRU. It was a good video, though!:tc:
Did all of the electrics survive?

Speaking of crashes, I PM'd CPT Easy about all of us getting together to fly. We haven't locked anything in yet. That's when I plan on maidening the GeeBee.

Yep, they all did. Like I said I am ordering a couple more of these because they are so much fun to throw around with caring too much what happens.

I have a DWFoamies 48" Juka in the mail, and I bought a E-Flite Edge 540BP that was on clearance at the LHS today for 50 bucks!

So I think 3D is my new direction lol

I'm also ordering a couple more of the hobby city hacker A20-22L clones - they are great motors!

Hope we get to see your Gee Bee sooner rather than later John.

Josh

CHELLIE
01-17-2009, 06:30 AM

http://www.vimeo.com/2849838

GRU

Hi GRU :ws: The Mavrick MK2 is a lot of fun huh :D I have the MK2 and the Mavrick Cap, my Mavrick Cap is my old reliable, it just keeps on flying, and i am not very nice to it :D I have a few mavricks under my belt too as they say ;-) Either i have gotten better at flying or just Luckyer :Q but they are lasting me, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
01-17-2009, 06:32 AM
I crash because the plane is up in the air!! bub, steve

Quit Breaking your Toys Steve :Q :D ;-)

Castor
01-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Crashed and Burned before i ever left the house. Drove 15 miles to flying field only to find i'd left my battery box on my workbench!!! Ouch! I gauge the success of my flying day by the number of hours i spend repairing planes when i get home. So, by that measure i had a pretty good day, just no flying! It's a good thing i love to build, or i would have a short lifespan in this hobby.

groundrushesup
01-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi GRU :ws: The Mavrick MK2 is a lot of fun huh :D I have the MK2 and the Mavrick Cap, my Mavrick Cap is my old reliable, it just keeps on flying, and i am not very nice to it :D I have a few mavricks under my belt too as they say ;-) Either i have gotten better at flying or just Luckyer :Q but they are lasting me, Take care, Chellie

Oh yeah I was not gentle with my first Mavrick.

I went to the LHS to buy a few sheets of white depron to try and bring this one back from the dead - and I ended up stumbling across a deal I could not turn down - an Eflite Edge 540 BP, NIB, retail $119.00 - for $50!!!

I already have 'er built - now I'm just waiting for a decent day to maiden her! I know, it was probably folly to buy this plane and often I get perturbed by n00bs buying more plane than they can handle, but I couldn't help myself!!!! Aiyeeee!

LOL anyways the next thing you hear about this plane might well be in this thread! :Q

CHELLIE
01-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Oh yeah I was not gentle with my first Mavrick.

I went to the LHS to buy a few sheets of white depron to try and bring this one back from the dead - and I ended up stumbling across a deal I could not turn down - an Eflite Edge 540 BP, NIB, retail $119.00 - for $50!!!

I already have 'er built - now I'm just waiting for a decent day to maiden her! I know, it was probably folly to buy this plane and often I get perturbed by n00bs buying more plane than they can handle, but I couldn't help myself!!!! Aiyeeee!

LOL anyways the next thing you hear about this plane might well be in this thread! :Q

Nice plane and deal GRU :D Is that your Daughter holding the plane up ;-)

groundrushesup
01-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Doh!!! That was actually very much like my attempts at 3D. In perfect control right until the end of the flight (whenever that may be) :rolleyes:

Nice soundtrack BTW :tc:

Edit: Okay, from now on I'm spelling flight withought the gh and adding an e, like this: flite. See, no links!

HAH yeah the music was Beck - Nicotine & Gravy from the Midnite Vultures album. flight. flyit, flite, floite.

We win. :P

groundrushesup
01-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Nice plane and deal GRU :D Is that your Daughter holding the plane up ;-)

LOL no That's all the model E-Flite could afford :p> Our SWAG girl was busy I guess :Q

Fly Time
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
HAH yeah the music was Beck - Nicotine & Gravy from the Midnite Vultures album. flight. flyit, flite, floite.

We win. :P
I love Beck, but I've not heard that one before. All his stuff sounds different so I didn't even recognize him by the sound. BTW, that Edge looks like it will be a blast to fly! I'm surprised you got it for so cheap. E-Flite seems to have pretty tight control over pricing, so you better not mention who sold it to you. You might get them in trouble ;)

Edit: The auto-linking thingy seems to have gone away. Good. Flight flight flight FLIGHT! :)

MaxAdventure
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Went for a quick flight yesterday in my powered 2M thermal. I had used a couple of packs and found a few hints of lift, decided it was time to head home. I brought it in figuring I'd catch instead of land, only I was a little hot so I aimed for the green patch behind me. Only I forgot I was standing in front of a light pole! crushed the LE and snapped the wing joiner. Should be an easy fix, I just hate cutting out the crushed balsa on the LE and having to recover for such a silly thing. *sigh* gotta thing things ALL the way through!!!

groundrushesup
01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I love Beck, but I've not heard that one before. All his stuff sounds different so I didn't even recognize him by the sound. BTW, that Edge looks like it will be a blast to fly! I'm surprised you got it for so cheap. E-Flite seems to have pretty tight control over pricing, so you better not mention who sold it to you. You might get them in trouble ;)

Edit: The auto-linking thingy seems to have gone away. Good. Flight flight flight FLIGHT! :)

Yeah well the box was dented and actually the balsa on the small part of the horizontal stab that is connected to the fuse was broken, but some thin CA hooked that right up.

I must say the covering is a tad gaudy for my tastes and I predict if I do punch it in and have to do some rebuilding, I will recover it in an opaque scheme.

I got up at 7am this morning to see if I could get in a shakedown flight before I came to work but I thought better of it. Hoping to get it up on Wednesday at the latest.

Top that with my 48" DWFoamies Juka that is in the mail and I am set for at least the next few weeks! Woot! :p>

Josh

Patrick_W
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Mine was a 3 with a bit of 7... I was flying my slow stick in 10 degree weather (i cant help it.. it was just saying "fly me"), over a soccer field.

Im not sure if it was the battery in the plane, batteries in the transmitter, out of range (using LP5DSM and ar6100e if that means anything) or just a dead spot, but my stick just went dead, no throttle or other controls, and glided into a tree. Of course, right after it hit the tree it starts responding again:rolleyes:.

I was running rechargeables in the transmitter, that hadnt been cycled for a year and a half. They read 5.5 volts but voltage can be deceiving.. maybe they weren't supplying enough current?

Oh well, i got it back in one piece, after much persuasion to get my dad to put the ladder in the van and drive me over (should have taken my road test.. i just turned 16) to get it out of the tree.

Bill G
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Who crashed today?

Heck, I'm lucky if I can drag my butt out for 5 minutes to the park with the dog, with the weather here lately.:eek:
I can chime in with "who slipped on the ice today" though. Probably here from me ever day or so.:D

groundrushesup
01-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I did. Punched in my PZ T-28 right on its artfully custom-painted beak.

I got 'er up and was testing out some rolls after an adjustment to the thrustline - everything was going well except perhaps the sun was a bit bright.

About 5 minutes in to the flight, my eyes started to burn like I'd been maced. It was hard to keep them open, and I took off the hatcam I was wearing just to remove it from the list of things to think about while I tried to bring this plane down safely. :blah:

It just so happens, and by sheer luck, I put the camera down facing the eventual crash site. I stalled it and lost orientation (having only intermittent use of you eyes can do that) A short film for your consideration:

http://vimeo.com/2917783

Well, it turns out that today the Cedar Pollen count here in South Texas (http://www.woai.com/content/weather/intheair/story/1-20-09/uJwA2W-0YUKXLonDhrplEA.cspx) was 9,480 grains per cubic meter. 500 is considered high. No wonder I feel like I've been freebasing caustic soda these last few days.

Between this and my Mavrick... not having the best week. I did wait for dusk when the wind settled down and put up my E-Flite Edge 540 BP - which flew great, barely 2 clicks of up elevator to complete the trimming, and it floats like a dream. The Trojan's paint has already been spackled and sanded and is waiting for a new cowl and motor mount. So I say Nyah to you, cedar pollen. Nyah.

Its a good thing I love this hobby. Sheesh. :roll:

son of alpea42
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I have an extra cowl I could send you for $5.00 plus shiping.

Fly Time
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh Josh, 2 crashes in one thread??? There outta be a rule ;)

Edit: Ok, I just scanned back through this thread and this is your FOURTH crash! You do love this hobby don't you? :D

groundrushesup
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh Josh, 2 crashes in one thread??? There outta be a rule ;)

Edit: Ok, I just scanned back through this thread and this is your FOURTH crash! You do love this hobby don't you? :D

HEY! HEY! It's WINDY in Texas! :Q

I just happen to come clean about my crashes.... hahah

groundrushesup
01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I have an extra cowl I could send you for $5.00 plus shiping.

Thanks for the offer - but I know my LHS has about 10 of them on the shelf and I need to drop by there tomorrow anyways. ;-)

baz49exe
01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Having kept my little GWS zero in one piece since last April I decided to test crash it today. :D I hand launched it into way too strong a wind ( should have known better) and by the time my hand reached the elevator stick( mode 2 right hand launch) it was well into an instant loop. ::oDown cured that but the down angle enabled the wind to drive it like a brick straight in. As I walked over I was aware that one of my gas balsa models would have been totalled by this time. Well the prop had gone to prop heaven (both blades) the cowl ( pop bottle) had a huge dent in it and one of the cowl to fuz mounts had popped and that was it. I couldn't believe it. A squeeze popped the cowl back into place with no sign of damage and a dap of epoxy fixed the mount. These little foam blighters are TOUGH.:tc: I never thought they would survive such a prang with so little damage.

CHELLIE
01-23-2009, 03:52 AM

I got 'er up and was testing out some rolls after an adjustment to the thrustline - everything was going well except perhaps the sun was a bit bright.

About 5 minutes in to the flight, my eyes started to burn like I'd been maced. It was hard to keep them open, and I took off the hatcam I was wearing just to remove it from the list of things to think about while I tried to bring this plane down safely. :blah:

It just so happens, and by sheer luck, I put the camera down facing the eventual crash site. I stalled it and lost orientation (having only intermittent use of you eyes can do that) A short film for your consideration:

http://vimeo.com/2917783

Well, it turns out that today the Cedar Pollen count here in South Texas (http://www.woai.com/content/weather/intheair/story/1-20-09/uJwA2W-0YUKXLonDhrplEA.cspx) was 9,480 grains per cubic meter. 500 is considered high. No wonder I feel like I've been freebasing caustic soda these last few days.

Between this and my Mavrick... not having the best week. I did wait for dusk when the wind settled down and put up my E-Flite Edge 540 BP - which flew great, barely 2 clicks of up elevator to complete the trimming, and it floats like a dream. The Trojan's paint has already been spackled and sanded and is waiting for a new cowl and motor mount. So I say Nyah to you, cedar pollen. Nyah.

Its a good thing I love this hobby. Sheesh. :roll:

Oh No, Sorry to hear about your Plane, I always wear sun glasses, i have sensitive eyes, and allergies too, the sun glasses help alot :D I am allergic to Rag Weed, never knew that untill i moved to the high desert, its part of the sage brush family, I had to move back to the LA area to get away from the Rag Weed, my friend at work has bad allergies too, he was eatting some fruit that one of the employees brought in, and it cleared his allergies right up, he was really surprised, its a combination of an Orange and Grapefruit, take care, Chellie

Kosh
01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
While I've crashed my fair share of planes this wasn't one of them. (Honest) This photo was taken right after the soil density test was completed. The left wing decided to head south on it own after some 80+ mph high G turns. The crash was impressive scattering parts over a wide area and I had to rate it a solid 8. :D

Overheard by a 5yo boy, "Daddy, Can you see if he can do that again? I missed it." :blah: He got no takers but did enjoy watching the others fly.

So what was this plane? Care to take a guess?

groundrushesup
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
While I've crashed my fair share of planes this wasn't one of them. (Honest) This photo was taken right after the soil density test was completed. The left wing decided to head south on it own after some 80+ mph high G turns. The crash was impressive scattering parts over a wide area and I had to rate it a solid 8. :D

Overheard by a 5yo boy, "Daddy, Can you see if he can do that again? I missed it." :blah: He got no takers but did enjoy watching the others fly.

Lol it looks a lot like a Parkzone Focke-Wulf 190 - ah, PZ birds do explode so well.

Am I right? :p>

Kosh
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice guess but not it.

gazzacov
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok, so the dilemma was, do I make the trek all the way back to the van for my forgotten sunglasses? Too far, i thought, It'll be fine. Then the sun came out, in that wintery-mega-bright-low in the sky kinda way. Lost sight due to sunspots, i guess is my reasoning, along with No 1. Moral? The walk seemed a helluva lot longer carrying some big 20ft extending ladders both ways to rescue the plane from the top of an oak tree! Grr!

Alpea42
01-25-2009, 03:47 AM
I cras___ err landed in a tree this month. The wind got me LOL

TDisaster
01-25-2009, 04:05 AM

Some kinda P-47?

CHELLIE
01-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I cras___ err landed in a tree this month. The wind got me LOL

Thats your Normal once a month Tree landing AL :D we all enjoy that ;)

groundrushesup
01-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I spent Friday night putting the Trojan back together and I must say it turned out great - so I was anxious to put it back up yesterday.

Everything was good 'cept maybe it was a tad windy... When on an upwind leg, I seemed to completely lose power.

I had to dead-stick a landing - with the wind - over my head.

Landing was good considering the the crosswind - turns out I'd lost my prop and prop adapter completely. Just a naked shaft sitting there when I got to the plane.

I am starting to think this bird is cursed.

:roll:

Kosh
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Some kinda P-47?

Sorry also not a P-47, It is a Focke-Wulf 190 but just not a Parkzone if that helps.

dldeano
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Burned my SC in late this morning...and things were going so well!!

Lost all power and control, no inputs from the Tx were received. I hopelessly watched as she glided down, caught some wind under the wing, and kartwheeled like a Russian gymnast...

Looks like the red wire on the battery pack wiggled loose; the red wire could be pulled out despite being clicked into the other side. Not sure why.

Busted the tail, but some CA and tape and I ran the other battery pack through it this afternoon. Gotta love foam.

MadMonkey
01-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I didn't crash per se, but I did break a prop shaft during an exceptionally hyperactive blender with my Hyperion Yak-55 10e... :o

First time I've had a dead stick landing with an electric! :D

son of alpea42
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
It is a cox Fw 190.

Kosh
01-27-2009, 03:17 AM
It is a cox Fw 190.

Sorry, That's not it also but good guess. :ws:

benovisoff
01-27-2009, 03:34 AM
my t-28. Watch out for that, GROUND!

Bub Steve
01-27-2009, 03:38 AM
my t-28. Watch out for that, GROUND!
So much for the prop-talk!! to bad,, that 11/7 was your fave ! HaHaaa! hope you get her fixed, your bub, steve
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/2943136929_dd5db4249b.jpg?v=0

son of alpea42
01-27-2009, 04:59 AM
It is a Gws Fw 190.

Kosh
01-27-2009, 05:05 AM
It is a Gws Fw 190.

Nope, It very hard to tell what a plane was from a pile of foam on the ground.

benovisoff
01-27-2009, 05:35 AM
HA! It only broke the nose wheel

Alpea42
01-27-2009, 06:18 AM
O K all you "come clean" crash bragards. After doing R/C for nearly 40 years I crashed 2 yesterday. LOL A green board foam XL Click. I went inverted not knowing my elevator push rod had lost a support tube and was hung up so as to not give any down elevator. Nose down and into the earth it went. Then landing a Tribute that's on it's second or third life I slowed it down too much dropped a wing and ground looped it. Breaking off the tail surfaces in a different spot than the last time the fuse got broke. Here's the link to Phils video of the Click crash you can just see it start to dive inverted towards the ground http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZIl8tPsys8&eurl=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=552999# You didn't crash unless there's "film at 11" LOL It survived well just sent the prop to prop heaven and broke the motor mount off , here's me examining the damage http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91661&d=1232943420OK one more pic. just so I'll remember to pre-flight better and not do stupid things again.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91662&d=1232943420
I really filled that out runner with some mud HUH???

Alpea42
01-27-2009, 06:41 AM
LOL I'm laughing as I watch it again. In the audio you can here Phil say "OOh what happened? " And me reply "No Up" :D How many times is that the pilots 1st statement after colliding with Earth.:Q:Q:Q

gazzacov
01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Ok, so the dilemma was, do I make the trek all the way back to the van for my forgotten sunglasses? Too far, i thought, It'll be fine. Then the sun came out, in that wintery-mega-bright-low in the sky kinda way. Lost sight due to sunspots, i guess is my reasoning, along with No 1. Moral? The walk seemed a helluva lot longer carrying some big 20ft extending ladders both ways to rescue the plane from the top of an oak tree! Grr!
Well, getting along with the rebuild, Decided not to go with the white with red stripes as seen on nearly all cessna's it seems, and go with my own design. Not finished yet, but what do you guys think?

CHELLIE
01-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Well, getting along with the rebuild, Decided not to go with the white with red stripes as seen on nearly all cessna's it seems, and go with my own design. Not finished yet, but what do you guys think?

very nice repair job :ws: Dont forget to take the sunglasses with you next time :D Take care and have fun, Chellie

gazzacov
01-28-2009, 06:03 AM
thanks Chellie, i will!

1320fastback
01-28-2009, 06:19 AM
I crashed my FP heli today.

Yesterday I received my small EDF that replaced the tail motor and I had many successful tail-in hovers in my back yard. Today at work I was flying in the street and it was a little windy and I knew I shouldn't be out there, Anyway my heli hit a lamp post and disengrated.

Damage: broken frame, broken skids, broken main blades.

The only good news is that UsHobbySupply has most of the parts buy 1 get 1 free right now.

MaxAdventure
02-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Sorry to hear of the heli crash, that's pretty serious when you're breaking frames!!!

I learned what the cold does to LiPos today. One nasty landing with my DG-1000 because I was too low to make it back when the battery stopped supplying juice for the motor!

I shouldn't have flown - maybe I'll learn my lesson one of these days, "If it doesn't seem right, don't make the flight!"

Tore off both wing tips, cracked the fuse, knocked out all the forward bulkheads.

Patrick_W
02-07-2009, 08:06 PM
well i had my first severe crash with my slow stick.. i was flying in the neighborhood, and i was going to make a low pass along the snow, and then i remembered that there is a FIRE HYDRANT in my neighbors yard!! it was too late, and my slow stick and the fire hydrant had a mishap

.. and the fire hydrant won. damage total: 1 motor mount, 1 propeller, 1 bent gearbox shaft, 1 broken wing mount, 1 broken pushrod guide, 1 broken horizontal stabilizer.

But, shes all fixed up, glued everything except propeller which i replaced, and i straightened the motor shaft.

griffindor
02-07-2009, 08:17 PM
definatley #7. I took a pic and it looks great. Will post later

benovisoff
02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
#4. t-28

Alpea42
03-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's a cool crash pic. I took of a T-28 yesterday . It makes it's own grave marker LOL http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97587&d=1238360521

Rolling Thunder
03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
crashed my fledgling yesterday.I was practicing takeoffs & landings.I knew my battery was getting low but I just had to try one more takeoff (start chuckling now).Classic stall as soon as it got airborne right wing dipped & noseplanted from 8 feet high

groundrushesup
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Here's a cool crash pic. I took of a T-28 yesterday . It makes it's own grave marker LOL

heheh this bird really loves to pose, huh? I have a similar shot after i an off the runway into a sinkhole - just a little scuffing on the prop though :p>

CHELLIE
04-01-2009, 12:51 AM
heheh this bird really loves to pose, huh? I have a similar shot after i an off the runway into a sinkhole - just a little scuffing on the prop though :p>

Thats funny :D glad there was no damage done to it, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
crashed my fledgling yesterday.I was practicing takeoffs & landings.I knew my battery was getting low but I just had to try one more takeoff (start chuckling now).Classic stall as soon as it got airborne right wing dipped & noseplanted from 8 feet high

Yea, that last flight on a low lipo will get you every time :D hope there was not to much damage done to the plane, Take care, Chellie

benovisoff
04-01-2009, 01:13 AM
#1. My phase 3 ef-16. Very very bad

Gimpster
05-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Plane: Airfoilz Extra 260 Hybrid
Cause: Pilot Error
Result: Plane will never fly again.
Description: Pilot lost orientation in the setting sun and dumb thumbed it in to a death spiral and the plane met the ground with authority.

Pics of carnage will appear later.

Gimpster Out

Pics added.

Alpea42
05-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Avoid that sun.

Gimpster
05-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Yes the sun is evil. Since my primary flying site has the pilots facing west I may refrain from flying in the late afternoon and evening from now on.

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Someone KICK ME Please ::o When i Mess up, I Really Mess up :eek: Guess what Dumb Stupid Thing I did today At WSEF with Hundreds of people watching Me ???? I crash Landed my Giant Bi Plane, after a Wild Ride of about 2 1/2 mins trying to save it, I Finally got it down low and Dropped a wing on Landing, It was a good Save, as there is no damage to the Fuselage, I broke the wing tips and the end of one wing, one of the ailerons pulled out, and i broke another aileron, and broke a prop, ALL Because, I FORGOT to REMOVE some T Pins that i put in the lower wings ailerons to help keep the ailerons from Warping during Storage, I checked the movement of the control surfaces, the top aileron seemed not to move as much as before, i did not see the bottom aileron was binding in the middle and locked at the tips, DUMB DUMB DUMB thing to do, i see now why on full size fighter planes that they have TAGs on the lock pins used on some areas of the aircraft, I Deserve the DUMB BLOND OF THE YEAR AWARD on this One :D Oh well, it could have been worse, I can repair it in a few hours, But I Really FUDGED UP on this one :<: I Learned my Lesson, Talk about a Wild Ride, for 2 1/2 Mins, trying to save this Bird, That was the Wildest Ride I Have Ever had :red: :D :D :D LOL Ok, The only thing that really got hurt, was what Little pride i had :p> Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102790&d=1244423409

Bub Steve
06-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Sounds like you got away with murder to me!!!:Q good save my bestist Bubett:ws:
bubsteve:D

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Sounds like you got away with murder to me!!!:Q good save my bestist Bubett:ws:
bubsteve:D

ALpea42 was there too, He saw the whole thing, he was right next to me :D Oh Well, I have not crashed for a while, so I was due, Take care Steve

gramps2361
06-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Chellie sounds like ya made one heck of a save! Bummer about forgetting the t-pin could of been worse remember that giant bomber that used to fly at shows they forgot to put in a bolt that held the wing halves together.

Sabrehawk
06-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Ya did alright sweety, yeppers ya sure did!

Much certainly better than one of my buds crashed hi $3,000 Yak today, broke it clean in half, and another who crashed his Seagull Decathlon.
A few weeks ago I had my Art Tech Decathlon go in, everything just went dead up there........nobody home. Bout 100ft up, just after leveling out from an Immelman. Plane wasnt in any trouble flying wise at that momment but it just started settling into a glide and so I and gave her some throttle and no response, brought the throttle to zip thinking it must have hit LVC.
But no flight controls either, no response when I fed a tad aileron to correct the left bank it was developing. And nothing else either.
After that nothing to do but let go and watch, bumped the ailerons a couple times in case it came back on, but down she went in a sprial for three turns and then smack. the typical wingtip/nose hit that happens and yup she's done.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/Decathalon011.jpg

So, im retiring this one, and already had a new love in sight.
My new Decathlon, a larger one and a balsa ARF instead of a foamie.
It's from Hobby King, and was a great bargain and a sweetly done ARF.
Working on her now, she'll be ready to Freddie in a few days to a week.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/Decathalon009.jpg

Still Chellie, ya did fine Gonna start callin you Pancho..............:tc:

Bub Steve
06-08-2009, 03:10 AM
ALpea42 was there as well?? the plot thick'in's!!Ha!Haa!
Glad you wonderfull Plane made it and will fly once more, I feel sorta close to that plane watch'in you build her,I got the foam to do a biggie and Hope it looks half as good as your's,,bubsteve

gramps2361
06-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Well about a month ago I was flying my mini telemaster it was a little windy, but not to bad. As I was flying wind started picking up, but it was still manageable after about 12 min. brought her down. My gut was telling me to pack it up, but that dumb guy on my shoulder convinced me to put her up again (mental note ignore the dumb guy). Got her up at first it wasn't to bad then all hell broke loose. wind took her so fast that diving couldn't get her back to me. Went clear across the field right into a stand of tree's. To late to get her down. Next day my son and I went back with a ladder and my pool vac pole and the skimmer pole. We spent 2 hrs poking it got it to drop down went into the tree next to it. Started to rain at this point my arm is dead from the pole and holding the ladder, sent my son up and told him to whack it down,at this point I just want the electronics back. the plane was not repairable.

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Chellie sounds like ya made one heck of a save! Bummer about forgetting the t-pin could of been worse remember that giant bomber that used to fly at shows they forgot to put in a bolt that held the wing halves together.

Hi Gramps :ws: Gee i felt so Dumb, but i saved her, good thing is that if you crash a RC Plane, you can walk away from it :D Take care, Chellie

Ya did alright sweety, yeppers ya sure did!

Much certainly better than one of my buds crashed hi $3,000 Yak today, broke it clean in half, and another who crashed his Seagull Decathlon.
A few weeks ago I had my Art Tech Decathlon go in, everything just went dead up there........nobody home. Bout 100ft up, just after leveling out from an Immelman. Plane wasnt in any trouble flying wise at that momment but it just started settling into a glide and so I and gave her some throttle and no response, brought the throttle to zip thinking it must have hit LVC.
But no flight controls either, no response when I fed a tad aileron to correct the left bank it was developing. And nothing else either.
After that nothing to do but let go and watch, bumped the ailerons a couple times in case it came back on, but down she went in a sprial for three turns and then smack. the typical wingtip/nose hit that happens and yup she's done.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/Decathalon011.jpg

So, im retiring this one, and already had a new love in sight.
My new Decathlon, a larger one and a balsa ARF instead of a foamie.
It's from Hobby King, and was a great bargain and a sweetly done ARF.
Working on her now, she'll be ready to Freddie in a few days to a week.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/Decathalon009.jpg

Still Chellie, ya did fine Gonna start callin you Pancho..............:tc:

Sorry to hear about your plane going in Too, Oh well its all part of the Hobby, make mistakes and learn from them, and sometimes, there is just nothing we can do. Take care, Chellie

ALpea42 was there as well?? the plot thick'in's!!Ha!Haa!
Glad you wonderfull Plane made it and will fly once more, I feel sorta close to that plane watch'in you build her,I got the foam to do a biggie and Hope it looks half as good as your's,,bubsteve

Yes, We were at the Western States Electric Fun Fly, I flew my Katana profile and my Maverick Cap there too, AL and his son James were there, and james made out like a bandid with free stuff :D Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Well about a month ago I was flying my mini telemaster it was a little windy, but not to bad. As I was flying wind started picking up, but it was still manageable after about 12 min. brought her down. My gut was telling me to pack it up, but that dumb guy on my shoulder convinced me to put her up again (mental note ignore the dumb guy). Got her up at first it wasn't to bad then all hell broke loose. wind took her so fast that diving couldn't get her back to me. Went clear across the field right into a stand of tree's. To late to get her down. Next day my son and I went back with a ladder and my pool vac pole and the skimmer pole. We spent 2 hrs poking it got it to drop down went into the tree next to it. Started to rain at this point my arm is dead from the pole and holding the ladder, sent my son up and told him to whack it down,at this point I just want the electronics back. the plane was not repairable.

Bummer Gramps, Yes, I have done the same thing, gone up to fly and should have not, I have learned to listen to my gut feeling most of the time :D Take care, Chellie

Gimpster
06-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Don't feel bad Chellie, I crashed all three of my planes in the span of three weeks. One is toast, two are repairable, but I will likely only fix one of them. In either case I might be calling this flight season a loss, with no funds to pick up a new bird any time soon.

Made it through my first season without a serious incident and then crashed my entire hanger in the first month of my second. Go figure. Bounce back and keep 'em out of the dirt.

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Don't feel bad Chellie, I crashed all three of my planes in the span of three weeks. One is toast, two are repairable, but I will likely only fix one of them. In either case I might be calling this flight season a loss, with no funds to pick up a new bird any time soon.

Made it through my first season without a serious incident and then crashed my entire hanger in the first month of my second. Go figure. Bounce back and keep 'em out of the dirt.

Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, Most of my planes are scratch built, from 6 or 9mm depron, if i crash them, its no big loss, i have boxes of depron to make some more :D I do have a few ARF planes, but i have more fun with my Scratch built planes, here are a few of my scratch built planes to give you an idea of my fleet :ws: Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39692

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=265124#post265124

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=502417#post502417

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=314&category_id=67

i like using square CF tubing, much more stronger

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=122

MadMonkey
06-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Well, today I knocked the gear out of my Hyperion Yak shortly after clipping Ben Fischer's Edge at the 3D Hobby Shop fun fly at my field.. Unrelated incidents though. 5 of us were flying full contact combat and I think all of us ended up crashing, LOL.

1320fastback
06-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Crashed my new EZ* today, am going to have to say it was #1 that was the main cause. Was at the beach sloping and for some reason tried to do a ROC (Rise off Cliff) instead of a HL and the wing caught some ice plant.

Anyway without further adieu:
http://www.vimeo.com/5055230

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Well, today I knocked the gear out of my Hyperion Yak shortly after clipping Ben Fischer's Edge at the 3D Hobby Shop fun fly at my field.. Unrelated incidents though. 5 of us were flying full contact combat and I think all of us ended up crashing, LOL.

Hi Mad Monkey :ws: You were trying to crash , I was not :D

CHELLIE
06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Crashed my new EZ* today, am going to have to say it was #1 that was the main cause. Was at the beach sloping and for some reason tried to do a ROC (Rise off Cliff) instead of a HL and the wing caught some ice plant.

Anyway without further adieu:
http://www.vimeo.com/5055230

Bummer, hope it did not get hurt to bad, take care, Chellie

MadMonkey
06-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Mad Monkey :ws: You were trying to crash , I was not :D

Actually I wasn't.. I clipped Ben, then kept flying even though I had a hole in the wing and a loose servo!

Then I went after another guy, but he dodged me (from about 3' up) and plastered his Fliton Edge. I tried to punch out, but if you've ever flown a Hyperion Yak-55 10e, you know the low speed flying SUCKS! I hit pretty hard.

It's okay otherwise though :D

Alpea42
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Al(pea) checkin in here. Chellie deserves a metal for hangin with her Giant Bipe for those 150 seconds. The weird part was 3-400 spectators all moaning and groaning as she was loosing it and saving it about 12 times.:roll: The club camera man got the whole flight on video. So we gotta watch for that posting. You know how a nightmare happens in slow motion, well this was kinda like that only for real and in daylight. But out of the whole 3 day event and the 20 or so crashes I wittnessed or saw the aftermath of, hers was the greatest. It went on and on. A pilot next to us actually called out, "DO YOU NEED HELP" ... :Q:Q:Q You had to be there I guess but I am laughing as I tell this part of the story.

darylm44
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Chellie,

Sorry for your crash, we all do those kind of stupid things. It gets worse as you get older. Give it a few days and put it back together.

We are having an unusually good summer up here in Alaska. Lots of Sunny days highs in the upper 60's we even hit 70 yesterday. We are having 24 hrs of visible light with 19 hrs between sunrise and sunset. You can work yourself to death in conditions like these.

I have the yard straitened out, the garden almost completely planted, and my float-plane within 3 hrs of being ready to fly. Last week we took a trip "around the block" with my brother and his wife in our motor homes. This is leaving Wasilla and driving to Fairbanks then to Delta and down to Glenallen and back to Wasilla, just under 1000 miles. There is only one road that bisects this route, the Denali Hyway, and it is gravel and very rough. Most Motor Home and car rental places don't allow their vehicles to go on it.

The headwaters of the Delta River still had ice fields 4 - 8 ft thick and Summit Lake was still frozen solid. We had a cold winter with a heavy snow pack.

Still waiting for Fall to start the Boeing 247. :) :)

1320fastback
06-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Only minor damage on the EZ, scrunched the nose a little and a few little dings in the wings. Also got some dirt in the mechanics of the camera lens.

Alpea42
06-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Musta been a bad couple of weeks for R/c or Chellie fessing up to dumbness brings out humility in everyone. Cuz after her post there's 7 more crashes listed. Ohhh I know, you're all trying to make her feel better. Well heres the video from the thread below this one and this is how the pros burn up several thousand dollars.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47396#vid-094d3dc2 Hey if they can do it so can we. The funny thing is the JR team was performing at a mostly nitro field where some members look down on Electrics as being below their level. LOOKS LIKE THE BAD JU JU was too much.

CHELLIE
06-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Musta been a bad couple of weeks for R/c or Chellie fessing up to dumbness brings out humility in everyone. Cuz after her post there's 7 more crashes listed. Ohhh I know, you're all trying to make her feel better. Well heres the video from the thread below this one and this is how the pros burn up several thousand dollars.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47396#vid-094d3dc2 Hey if they can do it so can we. The funny thing is the JR team was performing at a mostly nitro field where some members look down on Electrics as being below their level. LOOKS LIKE THE BAD JU JU was too much.

Hi AL, Hey, if you fly RC, you are going to crash, sooner or later, there is just no getting away from it :D it keep you good at building more planes to crash :Q Thats the way i see it ;) Take care everyone, Chellie

CHELLIE
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
Only minor damage on the EZ, scrunched the nose a little and a few little dings in the wings. Also got some dirt in the mechanics of the camera lens.

Bummer, hope your camera can be cleaned out, sounds like your plane will fly again :ws: thats good, Take care, Chellie

1320fastback
06-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Ooo Ooo Pick me, I crashed today.

Dang #1 got me again but this time it was with my Ultrafly FW190. This is my first ever balsa plane crash and probably did the least amount of damage possible.

I hit a fire hydrant on landing and was only about 3" above the ground, dont know why I didn't go around as I usually like to be centered on the street and not next to the curbs.

Anyway the wing separated from the fuselage and took the wing mount with it, little bit of glue and covering work and she'll be good as used.:D

CHELLIE
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Ooo Ooo Pick me, I crashed today.

Dang #1 got me again but this time it was with my Ultrafly FW190. This is my first ever balsa plane crash and probably did the least amount of damage possible.

I hit a fire hydrant on landing and was only about 3" above the ground, dont know why I didn't go around as I usually like to be centered on the street and not next to the curbs.

Anyway the wing separated from the fuselage and took the wing mount with it, little bit of glue and covering work and she'll be good as used.:D

Bummer ::o I Hate that when that happens :D Maybe your plane just needed to take a leak :Q Get her fixed and back up in the air :p> Take care, Chellie

birdDog
06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Crashed a new Hyperion Extra 260 "40e" earlier in the week. Forgot a wing bolt, fast roll @300 feet, you know the rest....
Lesson learned, KEEP THE WING BOLT IN YOUR HAND OR IN THE WING.
Put the bolt back into the wing after you remove it. this way you won't loose it. NEVER SET IT DOWN. Keep it screwed in whether the wing is on or off the plane. Hope this helps someone.:o

CHELLIE
06-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Crashed a new Hyperion Extra 260 "40e" earlier in the week. Forgot a wing bolt, fast roll @300 feet, you know the rest....
Lesson learned, KEEP THE WING BOLT IN YOUR HAND OR IN THE WING.
Put the bolt back into the wing after you remove it. this way you won't loose it. NEVER SET IT DOWN. Keep it screwed in whether the wing is on or off the plane. Hope this helps someone.:o

Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, we all make mistakes from time to time, Ok Quick, Get another plane, and get back up in the air :D Take care, Chellie

firemanbill
06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Didn't crash today but...

We had been having a great day for our SPA contest and then open flying afterwards. We even went to grab some lunch and come back for round 2. Had gotten several flights on the Shoestring and the Telemaster and was beginning to pack up for the day as winds had begun to pick up pretty good.

I set my Telemaster wing on top of my bed cover on the truck to start getting everything in it. Great big wind gust comes along and takes it right off and into the side of my buddy's truck breaking it clean in two...:(

Oh well... I wanted to do some tweaking on that plane anyway so now is my chance.:)

CHELLIE
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Didn't crash today but...

We had been having a great day for our SPA contest and then open flying afterwards. We even went to grab some lunch and come back for round 2. Had gotten several flights on the Shoestring and the Telemaster and was beginning to pack up for the day as winds had begun to pick up pretty good.

I set my Telemaster wing on top of my bed cover on the truck to start getting everything in it. Great big wind gust comes along and takes it right off and into the side of my buddy's truck breaking it clean in two...:(

Oh well... I wanted to do some tweaking on that plane anyway so now is my chance.:)

Bummer Bill, Oh Well, Now is your chance to make it better than before :D Take care, Chellie

firemanbill
06-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Bummer Bill, Oh Well, Now is your chance to make it better than before :D Take care, Chellie

Yup, gonna recover in yellow and red to match the Waco and the shoestring!:cool:

gramps2361
06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Bill I always said the tele is like a kite next time tie it down with string.:ws:
You got of easy, mine is no more had to break it apart to get it down from a tree. Saved the electronics though.

firemanbill
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
No doubt Gramps. I just wasn't thinking when I set it on top of the truck bed...

One of those "DOH" moments.:o

birdDog
06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, we all make mistakes from time to time, Ok Quick, Get another plane, and get back up in the air :D Take care, Chellie
:D You know it!:D:D
Ordered me a new one before I even assessed the damage at home.
Now I have one ugly one (didn't rip any covering but bashed the nose pretty good, needs a smidgeon of up thrust now, still flies nice!) and a shiny new one will be here monday!:cool: Good sale @ Allerc.com $124 shipped!

CHELLIE
06-28-2009, 12:31 AM
:D You know it!:D:D
Ordered me a new one before I even assessed the damage at home.
Now I have one ugly one (didn't rip any covering but bashed the nose pretty good, needs a smidgeon of up thrust now, still flies nice!) and a shiny new one will be here monday!:cool: Good sale @ Allerc.com $124 shipped!

Kewl :D Keep the Addiction Going :Q take care, Chellie

1320fastback
06-28-2009, 02:53 AM
This is a great thread because its nice to know that bad things happen to others...not that I wish others to have problems. You know what i mean :D

CHELLIE
06-28-2009, 04:07 AM
This is a great thread because its nice to know that bad things happen to others...not that I wish others to have problems. You know what i mean :D

Yes, You are not Alone :Q :D ;-)

anthony7820
06-28-2009, 04:11 AM

im pretty sure thats 1, 2, and 3

electrictomato
06-28-2009, 01:46 PM
well i wanted to do a knife edge on my plane(for the first time on this plane), however, i did not buffer enough height, as i was confident it would perform as per the other models. which resulted in a crash and a 2 piece wing

guess that's waht they mean by getting 2 for the price of 1 =oD

Scruffy
06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
(raises hand) I crashed today.
I went to the field nice and early. After 3 months or so I still can't shake the pre-flight jitters. I get to the field and notice no difference in my vision with or without my sun glasses which are perscription. Bad sign. I took a little time to adjust to the field, wind, trees etc. Off we go. Plane gets real small real quick so small I have to base my inputs on the previous one. On its way back over the field (finally) it goes haywire #'s 1,2,3 and 7 a tree that i had been aware of but didn't think Id be anywere near jumps out. Now I keep my site fixed on that tree nothing else as I walk over to it, don't wanna get trees mixed up. Start to look for the plane I know it hit THIS tree. nothing so I go to the next tree nothing, back to the original tree nope. I turned around and see it 40 ft. from the tree sitting there like it landed. Very little damage. Well its been about 3 months flying this little plane and it looks like a jigsaw puzzle guess its time to cut a new one. I can't belive it lasted this long. I'll have to save a piece of foam from it and tac it to the next one for luck :)

baz49exe
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
How's this for dumb? Before I installed the aileron servo in my latest GWS the P-51, I checked it it for direction of throw as my basic TX does not have memory so you practically need to dismantle it to throw the reversing switches. Up to the field, range check, throw direction check and a first time hand launch by my pal so I can keep all fingers on the sticks. Six fantastic snap rolls followed by a landing in the gorse. "Fantastic launch ", said my mate "you nearly got away with the aerobatics!" As I had up propped to avoid vibration on the large spinner I figured it torque rolled. Hence a little aileron correction before lauinch and away we go. for a second try. Another even faster torque roll sequence follow by urgent up elevator a touch and go and a rolling glide into the bushes.
Now unlike my TX I suddenly developed a memory and checked the throw direction of the ailerons again. They were REVERSED!!!!. Now beginning to doubt my sanity as I checked so many times and I have never made that mistake before. She flys beautifully with the controls set up properly by the way.

CHELLIE
06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Everyone :ws: i crashed it :D CAUSE #8 ,This was one of my very first E Builds, and its been sitting in my hobby room for 2 1/2 years gathering dust, i knew it was a little on the heavy side, but i said, What The Heck, lets see if it will fly, As There are no Wall Flowers in my Fleet, My Planes Must Earn their keeps or its Off to the round file with them :Q so i knew it was going to be 50/50 with this plane, if it was going to fly or not, so its to the round file with it :eek: :D :D :D now i have more room for other planes :p> see, i am not afraid to show my successes along with my Failures ;) take care, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPNt---HCk

Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104280&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1246217547 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104280&d=1246217547) broke the nose off :) Thats ok, it was to heavy to fly anyway, this was one of my early learning tools,

dmmalish
06-29-2009, 12:58 AM
well like they say " it's not a matter of IF it is a matter of when " and yesterday was when I cart wheeled the 300 on take off because i was not standing where i should have been and got a little dissoriented but being a glow to electric conversion the only real damage was to the motor mount and my EGO but it should be back in the air in no time no after photos here is the plane i am refering to.

CHELLIE
06-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Sorry to hear about that dmmalish, yes its just a matter of when :) sometimes they last a long time, and sometimes they dont :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

gramps2361
06-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Ouch chellie that was a nice looking plane sorry the maiden went earthy. Did that myself 2 times in a row with a cessna skyartec 182 tonight, except my went left then second time right. Second time broke the cheap plastic motor mount.
Also got to ring a light pole tonight to. Makes a nice dull gong sound, first time doing this. I was practicing touch and goes with a SC having a good time third battery was doing some more practice when I did a touch and stall with the pole. It did no damage but a dent in the wing spun it around a couple of times. Started laughing cause I've read about the light pole crashes here, now it was my turn.

CHELLIE
06-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Ouch chellie that was a nice looking plane sorry the maiden went earthy. Did that myself 2 times in a row with a cessna skyartec 182 tonight, except my went left then second time right. Second time broke the cheap plastic motor mount.
Also got to ring a light pole tonight to. Makes a nice dull gong sound, first time doing this. I was practicing touch and goes with a SC having a good time third battery was doing some more practice when I did a touch and stall with the pole. It did no damage but a dent in the wing spun it around a couple of times. Started laughing cause I've read about the light pole crashes here, now it was my turn.

Yea, those light poles will move out of the ground to hit your plane :D You have to watch them real close :rolleyes: Oh well, I made some room for some more planes :Q Take care, Gramps

unidaddy
07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm new to the forum....and this seemed to be the perfect place for a 1st post!! It happened yesterday, though. I had 4 nice take-off/landings the other day, and yesterday had 3 nice take-offs/landings and one ground loop that cracked my E-flight J-3 up a bit. I had read and heard about the tendency for rudder help on take-off, but must've had beginners luck! The good thing about the experience was that there was another pilot at the field with much more experience who looked at the plane and said, "We could get you flying again quick if you want!". We got out some thin CA and a little tape and were back in business. The next (final for the day) take-off waggled a bit, but ended up in a nice flight and a final landing for the day that insured my total addiction to the hobby (along with my 10-year-old daughter)!!

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm new to the forum....and this seemed to be the perfect place for a 1st post!! It happened yesterday, though. I had 4 nice take-off/landings the other day, and yesterday had 3 nice take-offs/landings and one ground loop that cracked my E-flight J-3 up a bit. I had read and heard about the tendency for rudder help on take-off, but must've had beginners luck! The good thing about the experience was that there was another pilot at the field with much more experience who looked at the plane and said, "We could get you flying again quick if you want!". We got out some thin CA and a little tape and were back in business. The next (final for the day) take-off waggled a bit, but ended up in a nice flight and a final landing for the day that insured my total addiction to the hobby (along with my 10-year-old daughter)!!

Hi unidaddy :ws: And Welcome to Wattflyers :D We all crash from time to time, but at least we can walk away from our crashes :Q kewl, your getting your 10 year old daughter involved with RC, Thats neet, gals take to RC like a duck to water ;-) Take care and have fun, Chellie

anthony7820
07-03-2009, 01:36 AM
i have a formosa i was coming out of a very high flat spin
as i was diving i the prop started making noise so i tried the same thing again just for fun
after i came out of the flat spin i was going straight down and was going to pull out at the last second but my elevator servo froze and it went straight into the ground

the wing is in perfect condition
motor has a bent shaft
the fuselage is in 3 pieces

would this be considered pilot error??

MadMonkey
07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
My friend and I both crashed our F-16's today... his had an elevator servo lock up and it went straight into the trees, ripping off both wings, one elevator, the nose, and the ducting on the bottom. His was a Hobby Lobby, mine is a Phase 3.

I was doing one of my "famous" low passes trying to show off for a family that stopped by to watch. I was about to pull up at the end of the runway and had gotten about 2' off the ground when I suddenly took one of the worst radio hits I've had in a while... the plane dove STRAIGHT into the ground, crushing in the front of the intake. Then it bounced up! I punched the throttle again, and managed to turn around before I hit the trees at the end of the field. I was barely getting any power because of the freshly-closed intake, but I managed to make a high-alpha flight back to my position and land.

It's repairable, but I think it's time to buy a new airframe anyway... again :(
Ugh.

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
i have a formosa i was coming out of a very high flat spin
as i was diving i the prop started making noise so i tried the same thing again just for fun
after i came out of the flat spin i was going straight down and was going to pull out at the last second but my elevator servo froze and it went straight into the ground

the wing is in perfect condition
motor has a bent shaft
the fuselage is in 3 pieces

so its not tht bad for going straight into the ground:D

Bummer, what elevator servo were you using, I Like the HEX 9 Gram servos, they work great, they have a lot of power to them, I have them on a funjet doing 103 MPH and a katana profile plane with a 49" wing span, never a problem with them. look at the video link on the bottom of my post, HEX 9 gram servos all around, with big wide Ailerons, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=662&Product_Name=HXT900_9g_/_1.6kg_/_.12sec_Micro_Servo

anthony7820
07-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Bummer, what elevator servo were you using, I Like the HEX 9 Gram servos, they work great, they have a lot of power to them, I have them on a funjet doing 103 MPH and a katana profile plane with a 49" wing span, never a problem with them. look at the video link on the bottom of my post, HEX 9 gram servos all around, with big wide elevators, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=662&Product_Name=HXT900_9g_/_1.6kg_/_.12sec_Micro_Servo
haha im not sure what it is but im 15 i just fly them i dont really pay much attention to that stuff
as me and my dad were walking to the airplane he says "that happened to me before but luckly i wasnt going straight down....i guess i shouldve changed the servo"

so now hopefully he remembers to change the servo this time

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 01:49 AM
haha im not sure what it is but im 15 i just fly them i dont really pay much attention to that stuff
as me and my dad were walking to the airplane he says "that happened to me before but luckly i wasnt going straight down....i guess i shouldve changed the servo"

so now hopefully he remembers to change the servo this time

use the Hex 9 Gram servos, if you use more than 3 hex 9 gram servos at a time, then you will need to use a UBEC of 3 amps or more, so you dont run out of electric power from your ESC, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 01:52 AM
My friend and I both crashed our F-16's today... his had an elevator servo lock up and it went straight into the trees, ripping off both wings, one elevator, the nose, and the ducting on the bottom. His was a Hobby Lobby, mine is a Phase 3.

I was doing one of my "famous" low passes trying to show off for a family that stopped by to watch. I was about to pull up at the end of the runway and had gotten about 2' off the ground when I suddenly took one of the worst radio hits I've had in a while... the plane dove STRAIGHT into the ground, crushing in the front of the intake. Then it bounced up! I punched the throttle again, and managed to turn around before I hit the trees at the end of the field. I was barely getting any power because of the freshly-closed intake, but I managed to make a high-alpha flight back to my position and land.

It's repairable, but I think it's time to buy a new airframe anyway... again :(
Ugh.

Bummer, what kind of radio and receiver are you using, you should never get hit with a quallity radio and receiver, I use a Fm JR Radio and a BERG receiver, and have never been hit with glitches, I went to berg receivers after i tried all the rest, I got tired of being hit, and loosing my planes with cheapy receivers, take care, Chellie

MadMonkey
07-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Bummer, what kind of radio and receiver are you using, you should never get hit with a quallity radio and receiver, I use a Fm JR Radio and a BERG receiver, and have never been hit with glitches, I went to berg receivers after i tried all the rest, I got tired of being hit, and loosing my planes with cheapy receivers, take care, Chellie

9303 with a Berg 4. I've crashed the EF-16's three times because of radio problems with three different Berg receivers... no issues with Hitec receivers on my glow planes. I glitch occasionally with my Coronas, but never this badly :(

Fly Time
07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
9303 with a Berg 4. I've crashed the EF-16's three times because of radio problems with three different Berg receivers... no issues with Hitec receivers on my glow planes. I glitch occasionally with my Coronas, but never this badly :(
Interesting that you are having problems with your Berg Rx. I have had the same experience with Berg as Chellie: Rock solid! Cannot say the same for the other brands I've tried including Corona, GWS and Hitec. The only time I've ever had a problem with a Berg I've been able to solve it by re-routing the antenna.

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Wow, do you tape the crystal to the receiver, some people have had issues with the crystal working loose, I always tape the crystal in, so it does not vibrate loose, might want to try that, are there high tention wires in the area or under ground, and are you near a military air base, those are about the only reasons i can see for you having problems, unless you transmitter is starting to go out on you, does the problem happen if you fly at a different area ???? there is a flying field close to me, and most of my receivers, when i had the other than bergs, would glitch like crazy, after using the bergs, i have not had anymore issues, is there a hwy, near you where truckers are at, the CB radios are on 72mHz also, and truckers love CB amplifiers :D if your flying in a RF dirty area, you might want to use 2.4 Radio, take care, Chellie

MadMonkey
07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I had never had a receiver problem (except with GWS) until using a Berg. I thought that was strange since they were supposed to be great :( I don't usually tape my crystals since I've never had one fall out. I do check them often though. No high tension lines near the field, but I've had a glitch near them at an Airsoft event (flying a UAV).

And yeah, I think most of my next paycheck will be spent on a 2.4 9303.

CHELLIE
07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I had never had a receiver problem (except with GWS) until using a Berg. I thought that was strange since they were supposed to be great :( I don't usually tape my crystals since I've never had one fall out. I do check them often though. No high tension lines near the field, but I've had a glitch near them at an Airsoft event (flying a UAV).

And yeah, I think most of my next paycheck will be spent on a 2.4 9303.

A 2.4 would be a good idea, you may be in a area where there is a lot of RFI, and a 2.4 will really help out, Take care and have fun, Chellie

wblacker
07-04-2009, 01:47 AM
How about a bad week! Last Sunday I had the canopy come off my Brio, lost control and crashed!, then had the rudder cable come off my Gee Bee and resulted in a crash...then had a servo go bad on my F4U and dived it into the deck! Wow, what a week! Ordered new Brio body from a NIB sale here on Wattflyer, had a new Gee Bee sitting in the box. Had a back up F4U. So, let's try this again! If you fly, you will crash...every airplane has an limited number of flights...this is fun

groundrushesup
07-04-2009, 06:13 AM
If you fly, you will crash...every airplane has an limited number of flights...this is fun

LOL you got that right. I am just putting the finishing touches on my second PZ F4U - decided to take the old bird out for one or two farewell packs before I do a tear-down and swap the electronics to the new airframe - Took it up, flew a few circuits - and the ENTIRE VERTICAL STAB CAME OFF in MID FLIGHT!! LMAO!! :Q Sheared right off at the fuse, and because it was still connect to the control rod, it flapped about like a haddock. The landing was much more of a controlled faceplant.

When this bird decided to give up it did it in spectacular fashion!

Lessons Learned: Vertical stabs are important to stable flight (I guess the name says it all)

:p>

josh

floorunner
07-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Last week I took my brand new plane out to the field for it's maiden flight. After the take off, I instantly fell in love with this plane. It (was) so much fun to fly. After flying for about 5 minutes and deciding I was in love, I decided I was going to bring it in for a landing. I was getting a bit low too quick, so I pulled up on the elevator just a little...and...*BAM* the elevator goes 100% up and the plane sky rockets into the ground. :<: Note to self: Make sure the receiver can't be unplugged by moving servos. :roll:

Huffy01
07-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm having the worst day. I maidened my EDF Rafale today.
A nice afternoon for flying, overcast ,a couple of knots of wind.
Tossed it out on half throttle ,got the power to full and it flew straight into the ground like a dart.
The plastic nose cone was destroyed and the foam was broken off under the canopy.
Well I had thought I couldn't break it any more so I pulled off all the foam and threw it up again .
This time with full throttle ,well it went further. My plan was to try to keep it more level to the ground but it just went nose down again .
This time I had enough time to let go off the stick's , It tucked under and came in inverted and smashed the tail fin.
Well it didn't stop there. I then bought my Parkzone Radian out ,thinking I should have better luck. I've had it for about 6 month's with little problem's.
I had to bind it to the DX7 again because I accidently removed it .
I did a range check and was ready. 1/2 throttle and gave it a gentle push.
Throttled up to gain so altitude and it went straight into a loop . I can the motor but ended up flying inverted. Not the best position to be when flying the Radian when you about 5 metre's off the ground.
It flew straight onto the roof of the house and I saw it explode. I walked around the house to see what part flew off . I could hear a beeping coming from somewhere.
Soon enough I found the front of the Radian ,it broke off just before the wing and the motor ,ESC and battery had come with it .
Got onto the roof to get the rest of the Radian. Rudder snapped , the canopy is in several piece's and there is little bit's of foam covering the roof.
I haven't checked the electrics yet .
All I've got too fly is the Eflite blade MCX S300. Next week I get my Great planes spirit elite kit.

CHELLIE
07-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Last week I took my brand new plane out to the field for it's maiden flight. After the take off, I instantly fell in love with this plane. It (was) so much fun to fly. After flying for about 5 minutes and deciding I was in love, I decided I was going to bring it in for a landing. I was getting a bit low too quick, so I pulled up on the elevator just a little...and...*BAM* the elevator goes 100% up and the plane sky rockets into the ground. :<: Note to self: Make sure the receiver can't be unplugged by moving servos. :roll:

Oh No, I hate it when that happens :ws: yea, its tight in the fuselage, and its hard to make room for everything, get another one Quick, and secure everything so that does not happen again, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm having the worst day. I maidened my EDF Rafale today.
A nice afternoon for flying, overcast ,a couple of knots of wind.
Tossed it out on half throttle ,got the power to full and it flew straight into the ground like a dart.
The plastic nose cone was destroyed and the foam was broken off under the canopy.
Well I had thought I couldn't break it any more so I pulled off all the foam and threw it up again .
This time with full throttle ,well it went further. My plan was to try to keep it more level to the ground but it just went nose down again .
This time I had enough time to let go off the stick's , It tucked under and came in inverted and smashed the tail fin.
Well it didn't stop there. I then bought my Parkzone Radian out ,thinking I should have better luck. I've had it for about 6 month's with little problem's.
I had to bind it to the DX7 again because I accidently removed it .
I did a range check and was ready. 1/2 throttle and gave it a gentle push.
Throttled up to gain so altitude and it went straight into a loop . I can the motor but ended up flying inverted. Not the best position to be when flying the Radian when you about 5 metre's off the ground.
It flew straight onto the roof of the house and I saw it explode. I walked around the house to see what part flew off . I could hear a beeping coming from somewhere.
Soon enough I found the front of the Radian ,it broke off just before the wing and the motor ,ESC and battery had come with it .
Got onto the roof to get the rest of the Radian. Rudder snapped , the canopy is in several piece's and there is little bit's of foam covering the roof.
I haven't checked the electrics yet .
All I've got too fly is the Eflite blade MCX S300. Next week I get my Great planes spirit elite kit.

Bummer, it sounds like your having radio problems, if your on 2.4, maybe a brown out, use a UBEC if your not already using one, low voltage from your esc/bec may be causing you problems, or if you were using the same transmitter for both planes, your transmitter may have a problem with it, get it checked out, get a cheapy foamy profile plane, put your electronics in it, and fly it, you will know in a hurry if your radio system is at Fault, before destroying a expensive plane, take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
07-05-2009, 09:47 AM
How about a bad week! Last Sunday I had the canopy come off my Brio, lost control and crashed!, then had the rudder cable come off my Gee Bee and resulted in a crash...then had a servo go bad on my F4U and dived it into the deck! Wow, what a week! Ordered new Brio body from a NIB sale here on Wattflyer, had a new Gee Bee sitting in the box. Had a back up F4U. So, let's try this again! If you fly, you will crash...every airplane has an limited number of flights...this is fun

I learned the hard way, to do a full inspection of the control linkages before any flying, I pined the ailerons on my giant foamy, during storage, so they dont twist out of shape from heat, well at the Western States electric fly, i forgot to remove the pins on the lower wing aileron, 2 1/2 mins of shear terror trying to save the plane after take off, resulted in a hard landing, broke off a wing tip and broke a prop, I was lucky, now i really check all of my linkages and control surfaces :red: Take care, Chellie

Huffy01
07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Now I've inspected it all I think it could be part my fault because I forgot to reverse servo's. I did find a piece of velcro stuck to the narcelle which was rubbing against the fan and the Rx is blind so I think this means "brownout".
I also forgot to reverse a servo on the Radian.
There both "setting" at the moment. I need a new canopy and propeller blade's for the Radian.
The Rafale really need a new fusealge but the glue job will do for the moment.
The plastic nose cone looks like a squashed lemon so I need another or maybe a balsa replacement.

dmmalish
07-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Well my great planes synapse edf met its fate today :{ was flying pretty good decided to go for a high speed pass ( crowd pleaser ) maybe going to the airshow all day yesterday and watching the thunderbirds and the f18 hornet and the f15 flying had something to do with it ;-) took her up about 400 feet and started on a downward high speed pass but the speed must have been to great because when i pulled back on the stick to bring it out of the dive there was no response:eek: it continued to nose in at full throttle for a pretty spectacular crash and explosion of dirt,grass and foam:censor: at least i was not by myself there were about 8 others who were able to witness the carnage and enjoy a good laugh along with me, as the saying goes " not if but when " i tested the controls and they appeared to be ok after the crash so i'm thinking that the speed was to great for the little servos and they could not function at that speed ??? thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Dave

groundrushesup
07-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Well my great planes synapse edf met its fate today :{ was flying pretty good decided to go for a high speed pass ( crowd pleaser ) maybe going to the airshow all day yesterday and watching the thunderbirds and the f18 hornet and the f15 flying had something to do with it ;-) took her up about 400 feet and started on a downward high speed pass but the speed must have been to great because when i pulled back on the stick to bring it out of the dive there was no response:eek: it continued to nose in at full throttle for a pretty spectacular crash and explosion of dirt,grass and foam:censor: at least i was not by myself there were about 8 others who were able to witness the carnage and enjoy a good laugh along with me, as the saying goes " not if but when " i tested the controls and they appeared to be ok after the crash so i'm thinking that the speed was to great for the little servos and they could not function at that speed ??? thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
Dave

Tough break, Dave.

But hey, even the Thunderbirds have a bad day once in awhile. :p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ3aF1K_RzM

dmmalish
07-06-2009, 02:11 AM
hey that looked real close but no black smoke with mine

zoldar
07-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I had a dozen or so flight on my Edge 540 BP. Was feeling over confident one day and decided to try some hovering in the front yard. About 30 seconds later I dorked it inverted into the dirt - braking the stick mount and rudder in the process. I bit of epoxy on the stick mount and I was ready to fly again.

I failed to notice that the screw holding the motor to the stick mount was loose. On my next flight everything seemed ok. I buzzed around the field a few times and then gave her the coals and went vertical....as soon as the nose pointed up - the motor flew right off the end of the plane :red:. I managed to land without further damage - but the prop did a nice job chopping up the front of the plane. It took 2 days (with my wifes help) to find the motor in the field where I fly.

Lessons learned:

I will pre-flight and check EVERYTHING before I fly - especially the motor mount - LOL

No flying at the house (unless its the Vapor) no matter how good I feel about my flying "skills" (and I use the term skills loosley!)

unidaddy
07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi unidaddy :ws: And Welcome to Wattflyers :D We all crash from time to time, but at least we can walk away from our crashes :Q kewl, your getting your 10 year old daughter involved with RC, Thats neet, gals take to RC like a duck to water ;-) Take care and have fun, Chellie

Thanks, Chellie....I'm hoping that Lily does take to it like a duck to water. I need a flying buddy that's on the same schedule as me.

I did have a much more damaging crash the other day. I was flying to the LVC on my battery (I'm going to get a timer so that I don't have to do that anymore). I reset the throttle and got spooked about using too much power and having it cut out a second time and stalled it 15 feet in the air and pow, the nose sheared off the plane, and we picked up all the pieces we could find. I have done some jigsaw puzzle work, but think that a new fuse is in order (and on order).

Lily has a birthday coming up on the 15th and I've bought her a HZ SC. I think I'm going to take advantage of take-off and landing opportunities with it before I put together my J-3 and put it in the air. Here's hoping that she loves this as much as I do.

iscreamsunday
07-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Flying my 3dx 450 (trex copy from cnchelicopter.com). Lost a cyclic servo (locked low), and was quite happy I got it to the ground(holding full left cyclic), but as I set it down, it drifted right, caught grass and tipped right. Lost one cf blade, feathering shaft and servo. Pretty good all things concerned. Better than the Trex 600 I dumped in in the dark last week. Bought some lights for next time

Catalina
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, finally completed building my first ever rc plane today (foam Catalina). All looked good.
Decided it would be a great idea to toss the plane just to see how it glides without power. NOT VERY WELL. Dived into the ground and broke off both wings including wooden pieces that hold both wings together. Dont know how Im gunna fix that. So does this count? Still waiting for my first powered flight. Have to wait longer now. Darn

Fly Time
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, finally completed building my first ever rc plane today (foam Catalina). All looked good.
Decided it would be a great idea to toss the plane just to see how it glides without power. NOT VERY WELL. Dived into the ground and broke off both wings including wooden pieces that hold both wings together. Dont know how Im gunna fix that. So does this count? Still waiting for my first powered flight. Have to wait longer now. Darn
Bummer!

I should point out that fragile planes make bad trainers. You will crash. Get yourself something sturdy with easy to find and cheap spare parts like a HobbyZone Super Cub.

Bub Steve
07-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Took the BRIO-10 to my Little field for her maid'in (bad Idea), I set the CG nose-heavy,(not much I thought:red:,) I had the elevator throws to low:roll: and the aileron To High!::o, she did hadle well on the runway so I squared her on the runway and did my take-off, she wasn't lift'in and I mowed a little tall grass on the side but got her up anyway,,,, I knew I was in for a wild time as she was WAY outt'a trim,:red: to much down, (nose-heavy stuff) Left dipp'in Bad and no room or time to trim:eek: I brought her around fight'in her all the way ( Way touchie on the ailerons ) cranked around a Fig-8 to get back to the run-way and I knew she weren't gonna hit the aspalt all pretty-like :roll:so I put her in the highist patch o-grass I could get to but pan cake like I planned??? NOT!!:mad: she stalled two feet off and bent the LG just a little and tugged a wing screw loose,:o Try'in at the club in Tallahassee next time:D at lease I know where to set the trim closer next time:cool: bubsteve

CHELLIE
07-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Took the BRIO-10 to my Little field for her maid'in (bad Idea), I set the CG nose-heavy,(not much I thought:red:,) I had the elevator throws to low:roll: and the aileron To High!::o, she did hadle well on the runway so I squared her on the runway and did my take-off, she wasn't lift'in and I mowed a little tall grass on the side but got her up anyway,,,, I knew I was in for a wild time as she was WAY outt'a trim,:red: to much down, (nose-heavy stuff) Left dipp'in Bad and no room or time to trim:eek: I brought her around fight'in her all the way ( Way touchie on the ailerons ) cranked around a Fig-8 to get back to the run-way and I knew she weren't gonna hit the aspalt all pretty-like :roll:so I put her in the highist patch o-grass I could get to but pan cake like I planned??? NOT!!:mad: she stalled two feet off and bent the LG just a little and tugged a wing screw loose,:o Try'in at the club in Tallahassee next time:D at lease I know where to set the trim closer next time:cool: bubsteve

Nice plane Steve :ws: no thats not a crash, thats a MULIGAN, you get one more try :D and set the elevator to 45 Degrees up and down, like you normally Do :Q full Rudder movement and mild on the ailerons for now :rolleyes: Take care and have fun, Chellie

Catalina
07-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Bummer!

I should point out that fragile planes make bad trainers. You will crash. Get yourself something sturdy with easy to find and cheap spare parts like a HobbyZone Super Cub.

Thanks Fly Time,
Looked at the Super Cub but its only 3 channel. I really want a 4 channel plane. Have done many hours on a good sim and am very confident of flying with 4 channels (lets wait and see if thats what real life will be like). What do you recommend for a beginner wanting 4 channels. Want something that has spares readily available. I am interested with this one:
SKYARTEC 5CH 4 Servos Cessna 182 RC Airplane RTF w/ Brushless Motor + ESC + Li-Po

See link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380137229710&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Bub Steve
07-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Not bad at all,,,
trike LG's harder to learn on as they don't hold-up as well as Tail-draggers, land'in on grass will be a hassle unless it's a Golf-green,,, If your set on this one and you've got a place to fly it with a smooth runway,,Go for it,!, bubsteve
http://www.skyartec.net/UploadFiles/Product_BigImage/Airplane/CESSNA182.jpg

This 4ch Skyartec Cessna 182 is different from others. This Cessna is equipped with 4 servos not 3
servos as common. It includes everything the beginner needs. Servos and steering levers are mounted
and the airplane could be ready for flight within 20 minutes. Furthermore, the plane uses EPS technique
for the airframe in order to achieve both smooth surface and best dynamic material properties. The model
has a steerable front wheel and uses two servos mounted directly to the main wing roll rudders and the tail
wing.
Product included:

Cessna 182 4ch airplane; four servos; 18A brushless ESC; 1530kv brushless motor; 4ch TX/RX (Also
you can choose 7ch TX/RX,as long as you give the difference price between 4TX/RX and 7CH TX/RX) ; 11.1V
LI-PO battery and charger; USB and Flight simular

Moxus
07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
8, for my cap 232.
luckily, its an arf so im not to blame.

was in a spinning dive, and the wing snapped, just like that.
it wasnt even a powered dive. motor idling.
this surprises me, because i have done breathtaking manouvers with it before, and all previous experience has been that this plane stallflicks a long time before wings will snap.
but not this time. maybe it was negative g's from the spin in the dive.
i havent pulled any big negative g's on it before.
still not an excause though, for kyosho.
its an aerobatic aircraft. if it cant do unpowered dives, its rubbish.

Bub Steve
07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
if it snaped at the fuse,, bigger washers on the wing set screws may have helped,, I noticed their not much bigger than the bolthead!!::o just my think'in :cool:(and what I've done to my BRIO-10 & SU 31):ws: bubsteve

Moxus
07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
snapped mid-wing. about where the ailerons start, wich is quite far out on this cap.
washers on the wingbolts is definetly a good idea though, on any plane with wingbolts. especially if its steel botls. they have a funny way of tearing straight through the wood in the wing.

Numbthumbs
07-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I had a pretty frustrating day as well. Howling winds and rain until 16:00, finally get a break in the weather so I take out the Trojan and the motor is shot before I can even take off. The casing had cracked on a previous crash and now it is warped and won't turn the prop without lots of friction inside. New motor just ordered. This crash in the video is what started the crack on the casing which grew and grew until today the runners were just rubbing on metal it was so warped. I got another fifteen flights out of the motor though before it gave up the ghost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DToMFlbW0kY

This is probably old news for most of you experienced flyers, but I got some advice from RCBarta over at RC groups which made a world of difference while hand-launching.

On my DX6i I program +10-15% Elevator under the FLAPS menu and flip the flap switch when I hand launch it. When it is up in the air safely I flip it off again. Even 15% really ensures a non-nose-dive-crash-and-burn hand launch. 50% will loop her back around on you so start at 10% and find what works for you.

I am grounded now because it is too windy for the SuperCub and the Trojan is motorless. GRRR.:censor: The Blade CX3 is still on the way too. That will help curb the itch when the weather is not cooperating. :tc:

Simpsonboy77
07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I flew solo on Saturday. I got my SC off the ground just fine, maybe one of my best ROG to date. I stayed high, and did maybe 3-4 ovals. I decided to bring her lower for a low pass, so on my right turn in, I throttled back, and she came down. I ran the length of the field maybe 30 feet off the ground. I throttled back up, and I was about to climb again to start my next turn my brain said go up, and my thumb went up... on the elevator stick. She smashed nose first into the ground, cracking the motor mount and the cowling. Fixed her that night, then flew here, with the help of a instructor, (successfully) on Sunday.

Fly Time
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Flew my E-Flite Sea Fury for the first time in many months last night after replacing the retract servos and making some other minor repairs. While re-adjusting the retract servo programming, I accidentally reset all of my sub-trim settings. At the time I thought "no big deal", I will just re-trim it in the air.

So last night, I go to the local high school where there is a nice big field with a wide running track only to find that the track and field are ripped up, and there is heavy machinery parked everywhere. Definately a no-fly situation. So I got back in the car and drove to a nearby middle school. It's actually a better flying field except there is not as much hard surface for take offs and landings with the fragile retractable landing gear of the Sea Fury. It is also starting to get dark.

So I do a quick pre-flight check and take off only to find that my elevator is so badly out of trim that it takes considerable down force on the elevator stick to keep it level. Adjusting trim to full down only made it a little better. I don't mind so much having to keep some back pressure on the stick to keep it level, but down pressure is much harder! My brain keeps thinking I'm flying inverted so I go to pull up a little and instinctively want to push the stick forward! :eek:

Well I managed to avoid a couple near crashes just setting up for a landing and finally got it approximately lined up with the sprinting track to bring her down. The plane was all over the place on final approach! Up, down, banking toward the chain link fence and then level again, then finally on the ground, but REALLY hard! Then back in the air! Crap!!! Then down again, even harder, over on its nose :mad: Without question the ugliest landing I have ever made :rolleyes:

Actually, it could have been much worse. One of the gear is loose in the foam, and the other is just badly bent. It will take some work to get the retracts operating again, but it is fixable. Everything else seems fine.

birdDog
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Competing in a fun fly yesterday, had to do some stuff in the air (spins etc.) followed by a vertical downline and stop the clock when your wheels touch the grass for landing.
Held the downline a little too far, pulled level about 2 feet off the deck, fast, 150' of field left. Hyperion Extra 240 40e :) was going to overshoot the field so I gave a bit of down elevator. Well, this plane goes EXACTLY where you point it. Stopped the clock to take first place by 1.5 seconds! Blew the landing gear plate out, turned the 13" prop into a 3", bashed the rear fuse pretty good where she cammed over the tumbling landing gear.

A couple corner blocks here and there, epoxy this, epoxy that....new spar here, maybee here. She looks pretty worthy again but the cowl is pathetic. GREAT PLANE THOUGH!

MadMonkey
07-27-2009, 03:22 AM
I bought a Parkzone T-28 from a dude on RCUniverse a week or so ago... got it in a couple of days ago, threw an AR6100e into it, and took it to the field.

I took off, and it was flying perfectly. I was keeping it in close intentionally because I knew the 6100 isn't a full-range receiver, even though one works just fine at long range in my P3 F-16.

Anyway, a couple of times I glitched, which I thought was odd. Once I landed after a minute or two, I convinced myself that because it was windy and bumpy (and because I hadn't flown in a couple of weeks) I might have mistake turbulence for a glitch.

Stupidly, I took back off.

I made a couple of circuits, and was suddenly locked out when the plane was about 150' from me. It spiraled down, out of control, and hit pretty hard, bending the motor mount, knocking the wing off, and cracking the cowl. Easily fixable, but annoying.

Then I got control back right after it hit. @#$%^!!!!

I know people use the AR6100 (I used it because that's all I had on hand... and it was brand new) in this plane, so I thought it odd that I had issues. Like I said, it works fine in my F-16 and they both range check at about the same distance.

I guess I'm buying AR500's for my smaller planes now :(

On a happier note, one of my friends gave me a PZ Corsair that he no longer flew, and it had a successful maiden today. I used an AR7000... learned my lesson... :rolleyes:

groundrushesup
07-27-2009, 03:51 AM
I bought a Parkzone T-28 from a dude on RCUniverse a week or so ago... got it in a couple of days ago, threw an AR6100e into it, and took it to the field.

I took off, and it was flying perfectly. I was keeping it in close intentionally because I knew the 6100 isn't a full-range receiver, even though one works just fine at long range in my P3 F-16.

Anyway, a couple of times I glitched, which I thought was odd. Once I landed after a minute or two, I convinced myself that because it was windy and bumpy (and because I hadn't flown in a couple of weeks) I might have mistake turbulence for a glitch.

I made a couple of circuits, and was suddenly locked out when the plane was about 150' from me. It spiraled down, out of control, and hit pretty hard, bending the motor mount, knocking the wing off, and cracking the cowl. Easily fixable, but annoying.

I know people use the AR6100 (I used it because that's all I had on hand... and it was brand new) in this plane, so I thought it odd that I had issues. Like I said, it works fine in my F-16 and they both range check at about the same distance.

On a happier note, one of my friends gave me a PZ Corsair that he no longer flew, and it had a successful maiden today. I used an AR7000... learned my lesson... :rolleyes:

Very odd. I have never had an issue with an AR6100 or an AR61600e in any of my Trojans, and the one I fly now is powerful enough that I can speck it in 30 or so seconds if I want to - and I have done so.

Does this Trojan have the hard-cased E-flite 25A ESC or the shrinked-wrapped 30A version?

If it is the former, I would look at the digital servos in the tail for any stall conditions that may have led to a brownout. Worth checking with a wattmeter because even a 7000 will fail under these conditions.

Cheers,
GRU

anthony7820
07-27-2009, 05:12 AM
i was flying my formosa today and it was pretty windy so i decided to land it closer to the building where people stand cause it was only me at the field.....so i waited for a calm spot in the wind and came in for a landing...i was about 4 feet off the ground and the wind picked up again causing my airplane to go right into the pilot box......broke the fuselage in half.....it was pretty easy to fix though

CHELLIE
07-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I had fun today at the Flying Field, I was flirting with mother earth, with my profile foamy Mavrick, flying 2 to 4 feet off the deck, doing barrel rolls and loops, and trying to drag the tail on the ground :D and mother Earth SMITTEN me With Gravity :Q Oh Well, just broke a prop, wrinkled a wing a little, and popped off the wire guides for the control wire, 5 min fix ;) That was an Adrenaline Rush :p> Take care and have fun, Chellie

MadMonkey
07-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Very odd. I have never had an issue with an AR6100 or an AR61600e in any of my Trojans, and the one I fly now is powerful enough that I can speck it in 30 or so seconds if I want to - and I have done so.

Does this Trojan have the hard-cased E-flite 25A ESC or the shrinked-wrapped 30A version?

If it is the former, I would look at the digital servos in the tail for any stall conditions that may have led to a brownout. Worth checking with a wattmeter because even a 7000 will fail under these conditions.

Cheers,
GRU

The ESC has glue on it so I'm not sure. I'll try to peel it off so I can see. If all else fails, I have a Turnigy 40a I can use... man that ticked me off though. Brand new (to me) plane :(

I heard about the brownout issues with those ESCs, but would that cause intermittent loss of control (for split seconds at a time) without a brownout?

groundrushesup
07-27-2009, 07:15 AM
The ESC has glue on it so I'm not sure. I'll try to peel it off so I can see. If all else fails, I have a Turnigy 40a I can use... man that ticked me off though. Brand new (to me) plane :(

I heard about the brownout issues with those ESCs, but would that cause intermittent loss of control (for split seconds at a time) without a brownout?

The older 25A is easily recognizable because it has a square plastic case with an exposed blue heatsink on it. The 30A has a switch-mode BEC and thus no honkin' heatsink for the FETs.

yeah - about the intermittent control - you got me. A brownout and a reboot takes 3-4 seconds, IIRC. Used to be 12 lol but they fixed that ;-)

CHELLIE
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM

It sounds like a brown out to me, your lipo was getting weak, then you took off again, the voltage dropped to low, the receiver went into a brown out, it takes 3 sec to reboot, not enough time to recover, use a ubec with a spectrum, dont use the bec built into the ESC, with a 3 to 10 amp ubec, you will always have enough voltage to prevent a brown out of the receiver, you will go into LVC of the motor first, before a brown out, Hope that helps, Chellie

MadMonkey
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
It sounds like a brown out to me, your lipo was getting weak, then you took off again, the voltage dropped to low, the receiver went into a brown out, it takes 3 sec to reboot, not enough time to recover, use a ubec with a spectrum, dont use the bec built into the ESC, with a 3 to 10 amp ubec, you will always have enough voltage to prevent a brown out of the receiver, you will go into LVC of the motor first, before a brown out, Hope that helps, Chellie

My plane was spiraling for at least 10 seconds with no control until after I hit the ground...

When I plugged the battery in to charge it afterward, I was showing 12.09 volts.

GAH I hate UBECs :( and anything else that involves more work/modifying on a perfectly good RTF plane. You'd think after 16 years of RC I'd be a little more used to this :rolleyes:

Numbthumbs
08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I took my T-28 out today, and I think she saw her last flight. I was doing Knife Edges about three feet off the ground and had a brain-fart and planted her into the ground. The only thing that broke was the motor (2nd damn cheap Parkzone motor that went bad on me within a month, both times after light crashes---only hobby city motors from now on) and the mount of course. She had about 70 flights in her, and now I think it is time to order a new one. The firewall is completely shot, it was only staying together with popsicle sticks and hot glue, the wing was warped, and only stayed on with tape.
The financier gave me the blessing to order another one after she saw just how much glue, tape and prayers were holding the old one together. Oh well, at least I have some spare servos.:(

HeliScRapYard
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Brother-in-law uses Ar6100e's and is always complaining about some sort of glitch or another.???? I Like my 72mhz, Glitch Free :D

MadMonkey
08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Brother-in-law uses Ar6100e's and is always complaining about some sort of glitch or another.???? I Like my 72mhz, Glitch Free :D

Ironically that's why I bought the 2.4, I crashed my F-16 about 4 times with three different receivers because of glitching on 72.

firemanbill
08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
OK, Not technically an electric... well not an electric at all, but my buddy had an issue with his landing gear recently upon setting his 1/4 scale cub down in the grass. The left tire rolled off the hub and the gear tweaked the wrong way. When it did it casused the springs to come loose resulting in total collapse of the gear.

Between the two of us we had her repaired in about 15 minutes and he was air born again.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/P7291952.jpg

CHELLIE
08-09-2009, 09:25 PM

I love my JR 72MHz comp. radio, with a berg receiver, for me its been solid and glitch free

Ironically that's why I bought the 2.4, I crashed my F-16 about 4 times with three different receivers because of glitching on 72.

98% of the time a Berg receiver will be glitch free with 72MHz, but it depends a lot on where you are flying at, sometimes you need to use a 2.4 in a area that has a lot of RFI, Take care and have fun, Chellie

MadMonkey
08-10-2009, 12:14 AM
98% of the time a Berg receiver will be glitch free with 72MHz, but it depends a lot on where you are flying at, sometimes you need to use a 2.4 in a area that has a lot of RFI, Take care and have fun, Chellie

All three were Bergs :o

Gofer303
08-13-2009, 04:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmBQFUdrTw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmBQFUdrTw)
Does this prop shaft look bent?
Went out to attempt to fly this plane (I am re naming to POS) and there was a rare occurence no wind,daylight left and a place that was empty enough to fly in!
Unloaded plane turned on controler, turned on plane and checked operation of all controls. everything appeared to be all systems go. I advanced the throttle to 2/3 and one last check of wind speed direction looked good went full throttle with a tad of up rudder on the trim and threw that sucker in a perfectly level and straight line :ws:. It started to rise and about 15 feet up 25 feet out the motor stopped and every thing went dead ::o:censor: I could only watch as the plane crashed and broke the top wing at the body and other than that and a possible bent prop shaft it looked like minor damage . After getting back home and doing a tear down I finally found that the on / off switch would vibrate and lose contact cutting off power.
I will eliminate the damn switch and repair the wing and see if I can get the plane to finally fly!
:) I am also thinking about seriously converting this into a Auto Gyro ! Any suggestions on how to do this will be appreciated!!!

Alpea42
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Convert that POS "toy airplane" into the trash can. Get sumthin outta EPP or P Z z foam and a real radio. Super Cub, P Z Trojan w/ DX5 or DX6I or similar.

HeliScRapYard
08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Put a brushless motor on my typhoon. and flew it for a while. was extremely tail heavy, but got it from a friend for free so cant complain. The Extra Went down because i forgot my sunglasses. tryed taping it up a few times, but it eventually gave in.

Octavius
08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Lost my XB-70 to the Palm Tree Gods this morning. Time to make a bigger, better one. :D

Alpea42
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Oh too bad about the XB-70 I was watching ( in awe) your video the other day.

Gofer303
08-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Convert that POS "toy airplane" into the trash can. Get sumthin outta EPP or P Z z foam and a real radio. Super Cub, P Z Trojan w/ DX5 or DX6I or similar.
Any suggestions??? I wont throw it out but will make a autogyro out of it and an old honey bee FP heli! gotta have somthing to do this winter!!!

kyleservicetech
08-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Ok ,Who crashed their Aircraft today, and what caused the Crash, FAA crash Investigation Not needed to Determine cause :Q In under 100 words, better less than 10, Explain the best you Can ????the nature of the cause

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
3. Mechanical failure
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above

Got an old "E3D" by Aero Model, had a perfectly good flight, perfectly good landing, was taxiing back to the pit area. :D

Wind got under the wing panel, flipped the model over and cart wheeled it. Broke off fuse just behind the back edge of the wing. :(

First time I ever damaged a model while taxiing! :censor: It will fly again, model is mostly fixed right now, and ready to add to my stable of five models ready to fly.

philipa_240sx
08-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Flew my (used) PZ Slo-V plane into a pole... or was that a basketball backboard? Anyway, I was approaching for a landing... I knew there was too much wind but tried anyway. Aborted, pulled up and hit the pole! Doh!

The plane is fixed, however the stock brushed motor is down on power. Time for a new motor or perhaps a new plane.

wblacker
08-20-2009, 03:02 AM
MEEEEE!!! :( lost my Gee Bee today...I was showing a friend how the plane gets into stalls and with a 300w motor is just did not have enough thrust to power out of a nose high...went into a bad stall then into a spin....I nuetrualized the controls, power off, stabalized, power back on and started to pull from the dive. But the ground interrupted the recovery. Dawg gone it. broke the cowl off, messed up the engine mount pretty bad and snapped the gear off with multiple parts of the wing. I am not sure if I will repair it. It is still in the car, I just did not want to look at it tonight.:censor:

firemanbill
08-20-2009, 03:07 AM
MEEEEE!!! :( lost my Gee Bee today...I was showing a friend how the plane gets into stalls and with a 300w motor is just did not have enough thrust to power out of a nose high...went into a bad stall then into a spin....I nuetrualized the controls, power off, stabalized, power back on and started to pull from the dive. But the ground interrupted the recovery. Dawg gone it. broke the cowl off, messed up the engine mount pretty bad and snapped the gear off with multiple parts of the wing. I am not sure if I will repair it. It is still in the car, I just did not want to look at it tonight.:censor:

That stinks Bud. :(

We've all been there though. Leave it for a few days and then get it out and look at it again, may not be as back as you think it is right now.

kyleservicetech
08-20-2009, 03:14 AM

Was it,

1. Pilot Error
3. Mechanical failure
8. Builder Error
9. None of the Above

Was flying my Great Planes "Revolver" at Rockford IL 08-16-09, and during a high speed pass, the model went into a sudden uncommanded left roll. Pure dumb luck, landed it with a ding in the wing tip, and stripped off the landing gear. On the ground, everything worked properly. (I'm using the CC uBEC regulators.)

Every one of the hinges pulled out of the wing, leaving all hinges still present in the aileron. This model will likely not fly again, even though it could be fixed up in a few hours. It simply was not fun to fly.

Post mortem, the Revolver's aileron hinges are CA'd to the wing with only about 3/16 balsa located at the trailing edge of the wing. :eek: The rest is foam. :censor: And, after seeing the way the right aileron came loose, the next time something on this model quits, it might cause a far more serious loss of expensive equipment. :mad:

wblacker
08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
That stinks Bud. :(

We've all been there though. Leave it for a few days and then get it out and look at it again, may not be as back as you think it is right now.

Well, after following your advice, I have started the rebuild...got the motor mount box rebuilt. Wings rebuilt, now off to the LHS to pick up some ultra coat. I am thinking the Gee Bee will fly again! :)

Nitro Blast
08-27-2009, 03:52 PM
The Starmax FA-18 got ditched yesterday.

About 3 minutes into the flight, it just stopped. I had altitude, but was at mid point of the runway. A tight 360 to bleed off speed, then head for the deck like it was on fire brought her in on the deck, but long.

No damage.

I get her home, and suspect the controller. I replaced it and nothing. I managed to coax the fan out of the belly without problem, and presto... melted fan.

Goody for me, I get to upgrade! I cant wait until I get her re-fitted with a new fan/motor and get back in the air!

Don Sims
08-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeow Nitro, good save.

Nitro Blast
08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I think the best part was Nitro Jr was right there.
He commented on how great I did, and he asked "How did you know there was a problem?" My short answser was that the fan motor quit. After his "Duh dad" comment, I said that it didnt give me a low voltage drop off and low power, so I knew that chopping the throttle and pinning it back to the wall was not going to help. It was a hard fast failure so there was no time to play with the throttle to try to nurse her around into the pattern again.

I talked with him about what the lesson was, and that is that any competent RC pilot must be 100% ready to handle an in flight emergency at all times. Just because there was a failure, it didnt mean I could not LAND the plane as I still had flight control, landing still needed to be done, and the situation was not ideal.

He was impressed that I instantly took action that prevented the loss of an airplane. Nitro Jr's next flight, he was keenly tuned in waiting for his 'failure', and luckily, his Hawk Stick is still performing perfectly.

My dad once told me that being a pilot is "Hours and hours of boredom followed by a few minutes of intense concentration". Thank god I'm not bored by flying!

Alpea42
08-27-2009, 05:17 PM
good story Nitro. Most dead stick landing stories are either, missed runways too short, or too long . A complete 360 to get it down where you want it is nice solution.

pattern14
08-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Posted this in the general electrics column, but I crashed my He 162 edf upside down in a dam this morning:eek:. Dried it out, replaced the esc, and it flew again. Still can't believe it happened, and still worked afterwards:D. The edf unit was totally submerged for over an hour with the power still turned on..........

CHELLIE
08-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Posted this in the general electrics column, but I crashed my He 162 edf upside down in a dam this morning:eek:. Dried it out, replaced the esc, and it flew again. Still can't believe it happened, and still worked afterwards:D. The edf unit was totally submerged for over an hour with the power still turned on..........

Hi Pattern :ws: this forum is for Rc aircraft only, not Rc submarines :D just kidding, glad you got it back ok

Alpea42
08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Did you go swimming for it????

Nitro Blast
08-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I was very happy to see how easy the fan came out of the Starmax F/A-18.

Simply by removing the little plastic 'hold downs' I was able to lift out the fan tray. It just slid right out without stress at all, I didnt even dink the foam!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108052&stc=1&d=1251476242

The motor cooked, and when it got hot it melted the plastic mount in the fan. The fan itself is fine, but I'm heading to the LHS today to see whats on the shelf to upgrade.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108051&stc=1&d=1251476242

CHELLIE
08-29-2009, 12:08 AM
get the beast 70mm edf and a Castle Creation ESC, only a CC ESC will work proper with the motor a turnigy esc will burn up the motor.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rc-warbirds.com/images/hoff_storm70_parts.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_info.php/products_id/834&usg=__iGQAp_2FM-AQ305a-hnvFEBMY_E=&h=260&w=381&sz=14&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=fEg_NDL_zHC88M:&tbnh=84&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3D70mm%2Bedf%2Bhoffman%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DG

Nitro Blast
08-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Funny how things work out...
A buddy of mine just hooked me up with a new motor and fan!

He won it in a raffle, so he just tossed it my way, WHATTA DEAL!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108100&stc=1&d=1251508098

A new in box, E-flite Delta V 480 4800kv motor and fan combo.
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/images/0-EFLDF480_lg.jpg

Dig these Specs:
BL480 Ducted Fan Motor Specifications
Mounting Diameter: 20mm (.70 in)
Overall Diameter: 28mm (1.10 in)
Case Length: 53.2mm (2.10 in)
Motor Weight: 82g (2.9 oz)
Shaft Diameter: 3mm (.12 in)
Kv: 4800 (rpms per volt)
Io: 3.1A @ 10V (no load current)
Ri: .023 ohms (resistance)
Continuous Current: 45A*
Max Burst Current: 58A*
Cells: 3S Li-Po
Brushless ESC: 60A

Delta-V 480 65mm EDF Unit Specifications
Rotor Diameter: 65mm (2.5 in)
Shroud Outer Diameter: 68mm (2.7 in)
Shroud Length: 42mm (1.65 in)
Weight: 30g (1.05 oz)
Overall Weight: 112g (3.95 oz) (motor and EDF unit)

The only bummer for me is I only have a 50 amp ESC for it... I'll save my dimes for something with 60 amps for just that little bit more later.

It went right in, and she sounds so sweet now!

Alpea42
08-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Give us a review on that unit. I've been drooling over that one and the 15 sized one. They're just a little too pricey.

CHELLIE
08-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Funny how things work out...
A buddy of mine just hooked me up with a new motor and fan!

He won it in a raffle, so he just tossed it my way, WHATTA DEAL!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108100&stc=1&d=1251508098

A new in box, E-flite Delta V 480 4800kv motor and fan combo.
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/images/0-EFLDF480_lg.jpg

Dig these Specs:
BL480 Ducted Fan Motor Specifications
Mounting Diameter: 20mm (.70 in)
Overall Diameter: 28mm (1.10 in)
Case Length: 53.2mm (2.10 in)
Motor Weight: 82g (2.9 oz)
Shaft Diameter: 3mm (.12 in)
Kv: 4800 (rpms per volt)
Io: 3.1A @ 10V (no load current)
Ri: .023 ohms (resistance)
Continuous Current: 45A*
Max Burst Current: 58A*
Cells: 3S Li-Po
Brushless ESC: 60A

Delta-V 480 65mm EDF Unit Specifications
Rotor Diameter: 65mm (2.5 in)
Shroud Outer Diameter: 68mm (2.7 in)
Shroud Length: 42mm (1.65 in)
Weight: 30g (1.05 oz)
Overall Weight: 112g (3.95 oz) (motor and EDF unit)

The only bummer for me is I only have a 50 amp ESC for it... I'll save my dimes for something with 60 amps for just that little bit more later.

It went right in, and she sounds so sweet now!

You are just one lucky Rascal :D thats all there is to it :Q Good for you, now get that EDF in that jet and go fly :p> Take Care, Chellie

pattern14
08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Chellie and Alpea 42, the temp was below zero, and it is a BIG dam, So I had to wait an hour until the wind blew it over to the bank. The submerged twin rudders acted as tillers::o I flew it again later but one of the tailfins fell off mid flight, obviously weakened by the impact. Fixed in 2 minutes with hot glue. The canopy is in Davey Jones locker somewhere. It is going up again today for direct strike combat with the Komet and Blohm and Voss. The Komet got outmanouvered during a dogfight with the B and V and punched in AGAIN yesterday. Crash No.37 and counting. Replaced the prop, and it was off again, but got too dark to continue. Wonder how long it will be before we actually break something serious? cheers

groundrushesup
08-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Friday night. My Parkzone Corsair. Flying in pitch black, after a few beers and some misplaced encouragement from fellow WattFlyer Capt Easy.

We both attended the ARCA Big Bird event - doing our best to represent the electric side of the hobby, of course. :p>

I recently put a nifty set of landing and nav lights on this plane to help when flying at dusk - but for some reason in my barley-addled brain, I reckoned this would be all I need to fly in the pitch dark.

It was not to be. We were standing on one of the cement slab pilot stations at the Austin RC Assn. Field, and I was doing everything I could possibly do to figure out the pitch of the plane from one moment to the next. Capt Easy remarked "Whoa... what's that shaking? Do you feel that?" - I said "yeah, duh, its my freakin' KNEES!" I managed to wrestle with it for about 4 minutes, and then it just got out of hand.

Shortly thereafter I managed to pile-drive the plane into the grass off to our right. Incredibly - other than having the motor shaft pushed back so far that the prop adapter was binding on the motor mount - there was no serious damage.

Well, other than that to my ego when I heard the howls of the assorted pilots along the flight line who were enthusiastically watching me crash like a dummy lol

Gru

firemanbill
08-31-2009, 12:38 AM
That stinks GRU, just goes to show you shouldn't drink and fly LOL, just kidding, but not really.:rolleyes::Q

sounds like a hoot though. Would have been fun to watch!;-)

groundrushesup
08-31-2009, 01:12 AM
That stinks GRU, just goes to show you shouldn't drink and fly LOL, just kidding, but not really.:rolleyes::Q

sounds like a hoot though. Would have been fun to watch!;-)

Oh, it was only 2 beers, officer :D

firemanbill
08-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Oh, it was only 2 beers, officer :D

LOL... OK;-):Q

darylm44
08-31-2009, 02:31 AM
I guess I will sound like an old prude :eek: Well I guess I am old :(, but I enjoy a good drink as well as anyone. Why on earth would you even try to fly in the daylight after a couple of beers :confused: Hell I have a hard enough time keeping planes up in the air when I am stone sober. ;);). Our club like most has a serious policy against drinking any alcohol before flying. Just like flying full scale no alcohol for 8 hours before flying. ::o::o

groundrushesup
08-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Alright, everybody line up to the dock and testify...

I'd simply like to affirm, however that I did not make any attempt to ameliorate the foolishness of my behavior in the regard you speak of.

GRU

:D

firemanbill
08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
Alright, everybody line up to the dock and testify...

I'd simply like to affirm, however that I did not make any attempt to ameliorate the foolishness of my behavior in the regard you speak of.

GRU

:D

OK now I feel like I've been drinking...:o:Q

groundrushesup
08-31-2009, 03:17 AM
OK now I feel like I've been drinking...:o:Q

Sorry, I'm at work tonight and prone to use my lawyerly email talk ahaahah

max2112
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Friday night. My Parkzone Corsair. Flying in pitch black, after a few beers and some misplaced encouragement from fellow WattFlyer Capt Easy.

Oh No, Mr. Bill!!:<:

Dang GRU, I wish I could've been there for that! Did you guys camped out again?

I guess the crash could have been a lot worse though.

'Later brotherman!

firemanbill
08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Man nothing beats camping at the field during a fly in. That's some good times for sure right there!

groundrushesup
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh No, Mr. Bill!!:<:

Dang GRU, I wish I could've been there for that! Did you guys camped out again?

I guess the crash could have been a lot worse though.

'Later brotherman!

Yeah we sure did, pretty much in the same spot - though it was muggy as h - e- dubba hockeysticks and thus neither of us got decent sleep until like 4am.

Still it was worth it. We met this other gentleman from another all-electric club on the other side of Austin who we talked shop with until 1am - it was a hoot. We thought we were huge fans of Hobby City - He was flying a 72" 3DHS Katana with 5S2P Zippies, a huge-honkin' Turnigy Outrunner and even a 24x12 prop - pretty much everythign but the airframe came in on the slow boat from HK. his whole club swears by it - so much so that they do club-wide bulk orders.

His club, the Hill Country Aeromodelers (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086251) is having a fun-fly on the 18th-19th with foamy combat, electric power seminars, all kinds of excellent stuff - Dick and I are gonna be there in full force! Finally we get to a show where we aren't the ugly electric stepchilluns!

Wish you were here, John. Not to be gloaty but it seems September/Oct. is the busy season for RC in Texas! :D

Alpea42
09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
If you haven't seen it here's a video of my Bae Hawk flight with minor crash landing finish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MDymQ8ef3A It flew fast and was heavy with a new 90 mm EDF and a 5 cell battery the pilot was having difficulty getting it down for a landing. It will be repaired and flown again.

wilmracer
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Nothing like whoring a new video in multiple threads ;-)

I think this qualifies for this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBVITfsbxI

Alpea42
09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
At least I didn't need stiches:Q I detect humor in your sarcasim. Hope you dont mind if I respond in kind. Cuz I do admire your builds and planes. And I've needed stitches too. Loved the video by the way. "Right up to the part where you got killed"

wilmracer
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm nothing if not sarcastic, especially when it comes to my own misfortune. I'm glad people like the video. I was laughing the whole time I made it.

firemanbill
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
OWCH!!!! That's gonna leave a mark...

Octavius
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Ouch.

No crash but I melted a little gws motor this morning. Over-propping not good.

CHELLIE
09-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Ouch.

No crash but I melted a little gws motor this morning. Over-propping not good.

Thats ok, those GWS motors deserve to be melted :Q :D :silly:

Octavius
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Hahaha. I actually like them for very small applications. The best thing might only be they're long and narrow so a couple tie-straps make a great motor mount.

Nitro Blast
09-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Man nothing beats camping at the field during a fly in. That's some good times for sure right there!

Thats a fact... We camp at the Phoenix FEAR event, and its just great.

Back on topic, Hircflyer (my Dad) crashed one of his beloved gassers today.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108413&stc=1&d=1251862415

ONE MORE DOWN! All kidding aside, he's bummed he lost one of his favorites, his Dragon Lady. 23cc Gas motor, it was nice until the motor sagged on power on the final and he could not clear an obstacle.

On the good side, is now maybe I can get him into a larger electric.

Sorry Dad.

gramps2361
09-06-2009, 02:14 AM
What a great evening to put one in. Don't know whether to put this here or in another thread what's dumbest thing you did today. Flip of the coin put it here.
Went to fly tonight at my favorite place got the SC setup did a radio check every thing a go:ws: "realy". Gave her full throttle and away she went little right corrected with some left input of the sticks. Remember I realy did a range check with the radio.:tc:
Suddenly full right and up and over into the ground happened in blink of the eye.:eek:
Well that range check every thing was fine should of looked at what model I had up. Was setup for model 5 my twinstar a nice TWI on the screen for model 5.:o Guese what the the servo was reveresd for the aileron on the twinstar . Remeber I needed that left stick input not right. Oh well not like I haven't repaired before.

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 03:27 AM
What a great evening to put one in. Don't know whether to put this here or in another thread what's dumbest thing you did today. Flip of the coin put it here.
Went to fly tonight at my favorite place got the SC setup did a radio check every thing a go:ws: "realy". Gave her full throttle and away she went little right corrected with some left input of the sticks. Remember I realy did a range check with the radio.:tc:
Suddenly full right and up and over into the ground happened in blink of the eye.:eek:
Well that range check every thing was fine should of looked at what model I had up. Was setup for model 5 my twinstar a nice TWI on the screen for model 5.:o Guese what the the servo was reveresd for the aileron on the twinstar . Remeber I needed that left stick input not right. Oh well not like I haven't repaired before.

I think we have all done that at one time or another :D 5 min epoxy, and your good to go again, it looks like clean breaks in the foam, I have done that too, here is what that has taught me, with the plane on the ground, and you behind the plane, check all control surfaces for proper movement, ailerons, elevator, rudder, i wont fly, untill I check to see that all control surfaces are moving in the right direction, hope that helps, Chellie

gramps2361
09-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Chellie this was one night I had my head up my butt that's for sure when I checked never payed attention to which way they where turning #1 mistake. Biggest thing was not checking the radio and seeing what model was on the screen #2 mistake duh!
I have developed good habits and tonight threw them out the window:o lesson drilled home again check and recheck.:Q

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Chellie this was one night I had my head up my butt that's for sure when I checked never payed attention to which way they where turning #1 mistake. Biggest thing was not checking the radio and seeing what model was on the screen #2 mistake duh!
I have developed good habits and tonight threw them out the window:o lesson drilled home again check and recheck.:Q

You just did what we all have done :D and it just helps to reinforce our mental check list :Q you wont do that again ;) Take care, Chellie

MustangMan
09-06-2009, 04:49 AM
A few days ago I discovered that one of the fields at the soccer complex where I sometimes fly (when it's not being used for soccer) has one full-sized field that's paved with Astroturf! It's smooth and level as a table. They've even filled most of the knap with finely ground tire rubber. Nice cushioned surface. My Hyperion CAP 232 25e has pretty small wheels and wheel pants so it doesn't like anything but a smooth paved or short grass runway. The one downside to this flying site is the proliferation of LIGHT POLES, especially dense around the Astroturf field.

On my second battery, while thinking I was well clear, I clipped the top of one of the poles.???? A piece of the airplane came fluttering toward the ground and I expected to helplessly witness the crash of this pretty bird. To my amazement I still had control, somewhat, and as I wrestled to bring the plane around for an emergency landing I was racking my brain trying to figure out what (pretty big!) piece I'd lost that I didn't seem to need. As I banked to line up the landing approach I realized the left aileron was MISSING!:eek: I still had authoritative roll control though so I dropped the power and prepared to make a somewhat hot landing. It wasn't quite hot enough however and the left wing dropped at about two feet above the Astroturf. This caused the plane's left wheel pant to catch on the turf and bend the gear leg back. The landing gear is problematic on this plane anyway and I've had to straighten the gear legs many times. Given the circumstances I was pretty pleased with the landing.:p>

A quick inspection showed that whatever I'd hit, I'd almost missed. The first contact was in the center of the leading edge at about where the second rib from the wing tip is. It sliced through the bottom half of the leading edge, the bottom balsa sheeting, the bottom half of the spar, and most of the rear spar. See the attached photos. Then it snatched the aileron hinges out of the rear spar and the control rod out of the servo arm coupler. Thus setting the aileron, in one piece and nearly undamaged, free. 3/4 of an inch higher and I'd have probably missed it completely. 3/4 of an inch lower and the outer two sections of the wing would have been gone, in addition to the missing aileron..

A little careful surgery, some replacement wood and covering, and it seems to be good as new. We'll see tomorrow morning.:<::)

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 05:01 AM
I hate that when that happens Mustang man ;-) glad you got it fixed, Take care and have fun, Chellie

kyleservicetech
09-06-2009, 05:45 AM

I tried to do the same thing on one of my models. But it was a Spektrum DX7 with model match. With the wrong model, the receiver was dead, and prevented me from crashing the model due to personal stupidity.:D:D:D

MadMonkey
09-06-2009, 04:23 PM
*sigh*

I'm beginning to think that it's just me that is cursed instead of my planes or my radios. I've crashed my Phase 3 F-16's about 4 times due to radio problems, even on 2.4 (and have lost contact on 2.4 at other times), then I crashed my PZ T-28 because of losing contact on 2.4.

Then yesterday at the Texas E-Jet Rally in Mansfield, I lost contact with my HL F-4 after doing a series of rolls and it dove straight into the ground out of control.

http://i26.tinypic.com/awq4d5.jpg

JR921 receiver :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just go back to 72. At that NEW field yesterday, not only did I lose the F-4 but I lost contact TWICE with the F-16 at close range. Luckily I was able to save it before crashing.

Numbthumbs
09-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Just got back from my maiden flight on my second Depron Bipe...was a LITTLE windy, but obviously too much for the little one pound guy. Went down right on the motor, cracked the fuse, I haven't even tested the motor yet, I am so just completely bummed out...grrrrrr.....

Master Shake
09-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Ahhh. Man This thread kinda sucks. But i guess it is good to get it off your chest huh. Sorry everybody that did have an accident today SORRY.

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 09:22 PM
*sigh*

I'm beginning to think that it's just me that is cursed instead of my planes or my radios. I've crashed my Phase 3 F-16's about 4 times due to radio problems, even on 2.4 (and have lost contact on 2.4 at other times), then I crashed my PZ T-28 because of losing contact on 2.4.

Then yesterday at the Texas E-Jet Rally in Mansfield, I lost contact with my HL F-4 after doing a series of rolls and it dove straight into the ground out of control.

http://i26.tinypic.com/awq4d5.jpg

JR921 receiver :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just go back to 72. At that NEW field yesterday, not only did I lose the F-4 but I lost contact TWICE with the F-16 at close range. Luckily I was able to save it before crashing.

Hi Mad Monkey :ws: are you using a ubec, your loosing radio contact with spectrum may be Brown outs, also, I would stay away from the AR6000 and 6100 receivers and use the AR6200 and 7000 receivers only, those are 2 things that will be the best insurance on 2.4, hope that helps, Chellie

PS. I dont like JR receivers for E Power, they are great with Nitro, but dont seem to like E Power.

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Ahhh. Man This thread kinda sucks. But i guess it is good to get it off your chest huh. Sorry everybody that did have an accident today SORRY.

Yep Master Shake :ws: it helps to get it off your Chest :D and a lot of times, we find cures to our problems here, so it does not happen again, Hopefully :rolleyes: Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
09-06-2009, 09:28 PM

Welcome To Wattflyers Master Shake :ws:

Master Shake
09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Well Thank you Chellie. Well i don't know how bad it sucks to crash, not yet hopefully i get my foam tomorrow. But now i am wondering what to build for the first time? Then i can be here with you guys.