PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready to fly WW1 birds?

dai phan
09-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I want so bad to fly these WW1 birds but I am afraid I am not proficient enough. I can fly the Slowstick, Easy Star, Eflite Jenny/Se5a easily but I wonder if the Electrifly series (Se5a,Fokker,Spad) are beyond my skills? Please advise. DP

7car7
09-22-2008, 04:47 PM
The 2 biggest issues (maybe the only issues) will be higher wing loading, and ailerons.

Higher wing loading just means the plane will have to be flown faster than the Jenny and others. Which means possibly a larger field, and a WHOLE lot more attention given. You can not take your eyes off it. Not that you'd do that with the others, but the GP planes will not forgive it for a second.

Ailerons are not too hard to learn, but here's the biggest issue I did NOT know about with ailerons - you have to RETURN the plane to level flight. I learned this the hard way with a GWS Tigermoth 3D (Tigermoth with flat wings and ailerons). Just figured you turned the plane, and that was it. Well, the ailerons really are BANKING the plane. If not corrected for with opposite aileron, the plane keeps banking into a spiral right into the ground. It took me a while to figure out why the plane kept going into the ground after takeoff, on it's top.
If you remember to give opposite aileron, after a bank, then you're fine.

No one wants to ever hear this, I didn't either, but you're really best off if you start with a cheap foam aileron plane. Even the 3d Tigermoth is cheaper than the Great Planes models, and you won't be heart broken when you have to tape foam back together.

Dorsal
09-23-2008, 04:51 AM
dai phan, go for it! You might be some kind of prodigy that will fly whatever plane is in the sky like you were in the seat. Or you might turn your model into a big pile of balsa.
But either way, you will KNOW yourself when you are ready to fly whatever plane you desire, from that moment forward.

stevecooper
09-23-2008, 05:19 AM
dai phan, The SE5a is a three thumber to fly and your gonna need to wait on a while, My bub Dorsal (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=11463) is be'in kind :rolleyes:( you don't what to see his finger wag'in :red:) Get a GWS tiger-moth 400 ( great 4ch plane) then move on up to SE5a, your bub, steve

dai phan
09-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi,

So you would recommend the GWS Moth as a good candidate for me to learn on 4 channel? Do I need help with an instructor on this? DP

stevecooper
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
dai phan::If you keep the throws down (small control movement ), she'll be a sweetheart,:D I'd go on and put a 400-450 sized outie in but if you can't she'll still do ya fine on a 400 brushed , the outies can come later,:silly: what Tx &rx you got?:roll:?your bub, steve

degreen60
09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I am using the SE5A to learn to fly ailerons. My plane has several repairs mostly from trying to learn to land with ailerons. With ailerons you have to keep the speed up or the plane may yaw and turn the wrong direction. I am slowing learning to use the rudder to help stop the yaw.

stevecooper
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
degreen60 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=11693)::unlike many "park-flyers" Rudder control is A MUST on the SE5a like nothing else( out side my pattern planes and 3-D stuff,) Like I said before " Takes three thumbs to fly" bub, steve PS hers a peek under her skirt!!

7car7
09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
With ailerons you have to keep the speed up or the plane may yaw and turn the wrong direction. I am slowing learning to use the rudder to help stop the yaw.

Rudder is good, but also, I like to put in some mechanical differential in the aileron servos. This makes the aileron going up travel MORE, and the aileron going down will travel LESS. Helps a lot to get the plane to turn when going slower. I've tried it both ways (equal up and down, or with differential) and much prefer the mechanical diff put in.